Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If it's all ending up in a shared mailbox then grand send-as to the security group that the affected users are in, then they can change the from address in Outlook.

If 'the same inbox' means each user then make a bunch of single-entry DLs for the new addresses and grant send-as on those. I can't remember offhand if this does the "sent on behalf of" stuff by default.

It would be nice if Exchange could realise that a user has an alias on their account and just allow send-as from all those addresses, but until then there's a workaround.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Gyshall posted:

I don't think what you're looking to do is possible in the traditional sense if I'm understanding the issue correctly. You might want to look at shared mailboxes, though.

kind of horrible that exchange can't do this because I get asked for this by users all the time.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

There is a way, but it's not pretty.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996806%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Is a Shared Mail Box with contacts inside the best way to share contacts inside of an organization using office 365/exchange online?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Calidus posted:

Is a Shared Mail Box with contacts inside the best way to share contacts inside of an organization using office 365/exchange online?

Depending on the use case GAL may be better tbh

example where GAL is better: if you need to look up the shared contacts from mobile

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
e: answered both my questions

Papercut fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 13, 2015

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
So before I go crazy trying to find the problem on my end, I'd love some reassurance that I can blame someone else for what I am troubleshooting.

It all started with a customer complaining that their emails are not going through to one specific business, they had sent the emails the day before and nothing had shown up. I checked the Exchange queue and every email was just sitting there, and were starting to time out and get returned. No issues finding the mail server in question, could ping IP and hostname. Did a quick blacklist check, nothing there, no noticeable problems on either end emailing anyone else. And the other business can email my customer, just not vice versa.

After some digging I attempted a telnet to the mail server, and well, this is what I get.

To me that clearly looks like they are blacklisting my server on some internal blacklist, as mxtoolbox doesn't show me on any of them.

And yes, I already contacted support for the other company, they were quick to say it was on my end even after giving them all of this information. Asking me to "Please try to resend the email again and contact your mail hosting provider for further checking."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's 1&1 so you might as well just loving give up now before you get bored of smashing your face into a wall repeatedly.

Either that or relay through Mimecast/Mandrill/Amazon SES for that one domain if you want a dirty workaround.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Cinara posted:

So before I go crazy trying to find the problem on my end, I'd love some reassurance that I can blame someone else for what I am troubleshooting.

And yes, I already contacted support for the other company, they were quick to say it was on my end even after giving them all of this information. Asking me to "Please try to resend the email again and contact your mail hosting provider for further checking."

It does look like they're blocking your IP either on an internal list or an external list that isn't on mxtoolbox. Unfortunately you'll probably have to get past their first tier support before you can find out which.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I've had something similar due to another company forcing a correct SPF record that did not completely get updated after a migration. I've also had get a conference going with the other business and their support people. Generally if you give the 3rd party a heads up via email/call that you need speak to their messaging team to resolve a blacklisting issue, they bypass the first tier support.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Office 365 hosted Exchange, everything working last week. One user's desktop Outlook now gives error "(0x8004011D): The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists.", but has access to her email via OWA. No one else having any problems. Running fully updated Windows 7 and Office 2013.

Where do I start for troubleshooting?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Remove Outlook profile and re-create?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Remove Outlook profile and re-create?

Ugh that's what I did last week when her poo poo was broken. Worked for a couple days and then apparently broke again.

I talked with MS support, the autodiscover from her PC isn't working (the domain that should redirect to outlook.com is instead looking for our old Exchange server), so they thought even if I fix her profile it could be broken again unless we do something in the DNS controller.

e: vvv Thanks, flushed the DNS cache, made sure there wasn't anything weird in the DNS records, and recreated her profile. All is working, hopefully it will stay that way.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 19, 2015

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Are the DNS settings on the workstation correct? ipconfig /flushdns

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you got a bunch of poo poo pointing to a local Exchange server in your AD?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Yeah this is related to your local DNS. Check the Outlook profile too. Try running a repair from the Mail Control Panel.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

go to the o365 admin portal where it tells you all the DNS and CNAME entries you need to put in (that you did for your external DNS). Do all those things in your internal DNS server if you didn't already.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Does anyone else find it surprising that this thread is so dead? I mean, it gets a few posts every couple of days. Is hosting Exchange locally dead and is O365 "easy enough" that no one discusses it? Or are there really that few SA dudes who admin Exchange servers?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Eh,

Id say merge it all into all Windows Enterprise thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I could see that. I mean, it's not like we have a SCCM thread (afaik). It was more of a question for the tech field in general.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone else find it surprising that this thread is so dead? I mean, it gets a few posts every couple of days. Is hosting Exchange locally dead and is O365 "easy enough" that no one discusses it? Or are there really that few SA dudes who admin Exchange servers?

It feels so odd to say this after the early days, but Exchange is just so drat stable for me I almost never need to do anything with it. It seems that as long as you aren't installing the latest cumulative update pack the day it comes out, or asking it to do stuff it wasn't designed for, it just works. Add in things like the disk requirements dropping about a thousand-fold over the past few releases, and the cheapness of just throwing GBs of RAM at it, and it's almost impossible to roll out something that doesn't work. Doesn't hurt either that the ExDeploy documentation is some of the best I've ever used.

If you'd told me 10 years ago I'd be talking about how stable and simple Exchange is, I would have had you committed.

Related, but I just got word last week our US office finally approved the budget to replace their old 2003 server. Dual Xeon, 1GB RAM, no idea what model HP it is because Systems Management is mostly non-functional. The first iLO log entry is from 06/06/2005, looks like we'll make an even 10 years before I get it replaced. This right here is the hardware of nightmares. Some people dream of monsters, I dream of failing capacitors on a 10 year old motherboard in a server running Exchange for all the c-levels. Though I should be fair, it's been rock solid all these years, just needed 2 drive replacements. Hilariously, when I started in 2010, one of the first things I found was that a backup had never been run on the server since it was installed. As you'd imagine, 5+ years of transaction logs take up just a wee bit of space.

I asked it they wanted to try moving to Office365 again (I trialed co-existence a couple years ago, worked fine but they said no) and management decided to stick with in-house. Get them up to 2010 to match us, then get us both up to 2013. The OWA changes are going to blow their minds.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Exchange 2010 is so stable I'm pretty sure I lost money on getting my certs for it. Most of my time administering it is hunting down email providers to add my MX records to their safe list after a major org move.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My exchange server is barely held together by gum and duct tape, and was a nightmare to get operational when we went to 2013, but it's stable and has been running solidly since.

I still wish I didn't have it, because it's the only thing I don't have an easy recovery plan for.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Well a failing exchange is far less detrimental to the org with the advent of dial tone recovery.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979810%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 You can breath easy and have people up super quickly.

I had backup exec back it up and it worked well. Item level recovery and all that jazz. Now I have veeam and I haven't done item level in it, but the vm is whole cloth backed up.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

For O365 people, how do you handle mailbox restores?

My co-worker found himself facing a fun problem. One of the higher ups in one of our bigger clients uses Outlook 2011 for Mac. His local database got corrupted so he rebuilt it on his own. Once he did that a majority of his mail was just gone. Not in Outlook, not in OWA, not in the deleted items or recover deleted items. MS Support was called and they told my co-worker to use the Discovery Search Mailbox to recover mail. That worked. Sort of. All the mail was recovered but...not in any folders. This dude had a poo poo load of folders that were now empty.

Eventually I think it was decided that the dude would just deal with it but what would you guys do in this situation? I'd like to have some kind of plan in place in case this sort of thing happens in the future.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Don't store email locally in 0365. It was a bad solution for only on-prem exchange (2003 for christ sakes) and should've never been carried to o365. I suspect the person was using imap or pop for their connection and not "proper" exchange connection as well.

You get 50gigs of mail, and you can opt for archiving features that basically give you (100 gigs). Storing it locally (and locally in office:mac) is a recipe for disaster.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 31, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I supported a VP back in 2010 that stored and organized her emails in her Deleted Items folder. First day on the job, I was instructed "never empty her deleted items".

That's my story.

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

d3rt posted:

I supported a VP back in 2010 that stored and organized her emails in her Deleted Items folder. First day on the job, I was instructed "never empty her deleted items".

That's my story.

:v: I was told to keep my quota down so I just delete everything and keep it in the deleted items folder

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Had a secretary a few weeks ago that was having outlook issues (with the deleted items folder no less). Looked inside and noticed it had a pretty detailed subfolder hierarchy. Asked her 3 times if I could clear out the deleted items folder and everything inside, while making her look through it. She said it was good so I cleared it all.

A couple days later she called back because everything in deleted items was important.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

incoherent posted:

Don't store email locally in 0365. It was a bad solution for only on-prem exchange (2003 for christ sakes) and should've never been carried to o365. I suspect the person was using imap or pop for their connection and not "proper" exchange connection as well.

You get 50gigs of mail, and you can opt for archiving features that basically give you (100 gigs). Storing it locally (and locally in office:mac) is a recipe for disaster.

What's the issue with it? We store project email to a network drive that is backed up daily, so that if needed any team member could access the intact mailbox for that project. I understand that things could get corrupted if the drive goes down or if outlook doesn't close properly, but with daily backups we'll at worst lose a day's worth of email.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

d3rt posted:

That's my story.

Same except my VP edited and saved her documents sent to her in outlook without saving them anywhere else. I think this was default behavior through office 2003, and in 2007 they started making it so you can't just save on top of the attachment and make you save as. we had to hack around it to make it so she can save her docs.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Papercut posted:

What's the issue with it? We store project email to a network drive that is backed up daily, so that if needed any team member could access the intact mailbox for that project. I understand that things could get corrupted if the drive goes down or if outlook doesn't close properly, but with daily backups we'll at worst lose a day's worth of email.

If you're collaborating with a team, there are significantly better ways of sharing information for a project. You don't even have to use microsoft's flavor (it helps if you're using o365). Send the emails to a team site in o365 SP or even create a shared mailbox with full access for everyone. you gain so much (searching and indexing, for starters) getting it off a flat file server.

But in snackcakes context, they've migrated to a fleshed out managed platform and didn't bother going back and correcting the unique challenges. Its not his or his team members fault at all, it's just unfortunate.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Same except my VP edited and saved her documents sent to her in outlook without saving them anywhere else. I think this was default behavior through office 2003, and in 2007 they started making it so you can't just save on top of the attachment and make you save as. we had to hack around it to make it so she can save her docs.

The worst time this ever happen to me was a partner level attorney (think $400 an hour billing) working almost and entire day on a power point shell that was sent to him. 2 grand of billed time later he saves it (you know, to the Outlook temporary files folder), closes PP, closes Outlook and poof the file goes into the aether.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

incoherent posted:

I'm pretty sure he was using a proper exchange connection. I could be wrong, honestly he was setup by their Italian IT division but was in the US when this went down so it became our problem.

All blame aside, my point is that I realized there isn't really a great backup in place
for our Office 365 clients. If we want to restore someone's mailbox to the way it was a week before for whatever reason - user stupidity, trying to hide something after quitting, etc - we don't have a good way to do that.

I guess the real point of my post is this. What would you guys do if this happened to you? Do you have a third party backup in place if all of a sudden someone's email straight up disappeared?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

This dude hit the same issue. There is no way to gracefully restore whole mailboxes in o365. You could do the following as a migitgation:

* setup a email archiver to pull from o365 (like a barracuda)
* Setup legal hold on the users folder (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn743673%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx). This bumps them up to 100 gigs automatically.

If emails were gone in OWA thats a major red flag it's set to download and delete from the server.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

I think what happened was the guy's database got corrupted, lost e-mail during the repair, and then sync'd the changes to the server.

I figured we'd have to start looking into third party tools but I didn't consider litigation hold.

Anyway, thanks for the replies!

edit: Nevermind, after reading the e-mail from my co-worker it was set to store e-mail locally. That's stupid. Oh well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

When did Exchange 2016 become a thing? I have clients on Office 365 who are getting "Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2016" at the bottom of notifications generated as a response to calendar invites etc.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Thanks Ants posted:

When did Exchange 2016 become a thing? I have clients on Office 365 who are getting "Sent by Microsoft Exchange Server 2016" at the bottom of notifications generated as a response to calendar invites etc.

When you became the beta tester. Surprise!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

No one tell this man what o365 runs on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm aware that 365 is Exchange, I just didn't think 2016 was even finished yet.