Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Samopsa posted:

However, loads of bikes give rise to other problems, most large cities have bike congestion issues and all public spaces are absolutely cluttered with parked bikes.
I lived in Nijmegen for a while and the train station essentially had a multi-story car park, except for bikes. It was pretty badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
http://weburbanist.com/2015/03/26/invisible-bicycles-tokyos-high-tech-underground-bike-parking/

I saw this around the internet recently. Thought it was neat!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The problem with cyclists isn't anything to do with infrastructure or skill, it's the same problem as with "gamers" - it's assholes who've got a hobby confused for a personality.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

The problem with cyclists isn't anything to do with infrastructure or skill, it's the same problem as with "gamers" - it's assholes who've got a hobby confused for a personality.

psh. millenials

Game podcasts are absurd. Lets plays are better and thats saying something

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The (poor) behavior of bicyclists are the result of poor/nonexistent infrastructure. Most cyclists do follow the rules of the road, but people only see and focus on the ones blowing red lights and those who do 20mph on a shared greenway with pedestrians.

Bikes on sidewalks is under the jurisdiction of regional/city laws. Some cities are explicit about no bicycles on the sidewalk, but others have nothing on the books. There's nothing in Raleigh, and the infrastructure here is lacking (but slowly getting better to the detriment of Internet comment sections everywhere), so I will strategically ride on the sidewalk when the alternative is a 2 lane road with a speed limit of 40mph.

I've slowly been ruining myself. I went to Minneapolis and Japan, and I saw what could have been. All I wanna do is ride my bike. :negative:

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Just finished the recent WOFF extrasode and in regards to crafting in games, I completely agree.
If you think DA:I has unfun and unnecessary crafting The Witcher 3 has a few things to teach you, its even worse.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Huh. I haven't played the Witcher 3 yet, but crafting in 2 was pretty important, so it'd be a shame if they got it wrong in the sequel.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Designer Notes with Soren Johnson and Tone Control with Steve Gaynor.

Thanks, these seem perfect!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm only ~15 hours in but the main quality of life improvement on crafting in W3 is that you only need to make a given potion / bomb / decoction / blade oil once. After that, every time you meditate if you have any of the base ingredient in your inventory it'll just be refilled. I don't mean particular herbs or whatever, either -- once you make a potion you just need to refill it with alcohol, because apparently homeopathy actually works in the Witcher world.

Crafting gear is a bit clunky too, but at the very least you can compare the gear to what you have equipped on the crafting screen itself -- the lack of that functionality was one of the worst parts of DA:I's. The easiest thing to miss (for me at least) was that a bunch of the crafting gear has level requirements to actually wear.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pasco posted:

Huh. I haven't played the Witcher 3 yet, but crafting in 2 was pretty important, so it'd be a shame if they got it wrong in the sequel.

They really didn't. The changes they made to the crafting system are awesome, and they encourage you to actually use your poo poo instead of sit on it. Gear crafting is pretty much the same as in most other games of this type, but at least the ingredient requirements aren't insane and you can just buy most of the poo poo you need from the same vendors you can craft the thing at. I really don't know why you would complain about the crafting in W3.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I'm a week and a day late on this, but girl you need Puggsy Control

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
This isn't quite a gaming podcast but I don't know where else to talk about duckfeed so I'm just going to mention that I'm catching up on Teenage Dirtbags and the episode about My Own Worst Enemy really took the segment intros to the next level.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

This isn't quite a gaming podcast but I don't know where else to talk about duckfeed so I'm just going to mention that I'm catching up on Teenage Dirtbags and the episode about My Own Worst Enemy really took the segment intros to the next level.

They get better too. I really love doing them and there are some real winners in in the next couple.

Oh, and thank you.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Speaking of Duckfeed-related tangents: that whole bit on Abject Suffering about the Offspring for a minute really makes me sad that Teenage Dirtbags is only 90s-focused. Any Offspring song/video from the past decade is basically ripe for mockery as the aging former-punks slowly try to become either Weezer or an issue of Heavy Metal from song to song.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

I still love idle thumbs with all my heart, but it's slightly worrying how 'doesn't play any games' continues to slide from jake joke to maybe an actual problem with the podcast.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

_jink posted:

I still love idle thumbs with all my heart, but it's slightly worrying how 'doesn't play any games' continues to slide from jake joke to maybe an actual problem with the podcast.

I probably spend more time listening to podcasts about video games than I do playing actual games, so while it's not exactly what you're worrying about I understand where they're coming from. It's tough for me to find time to really sit down with a game and binge on it these days. Even right now we just moved and I'm unemployed, but I spend most of my time unpacking and job-hunting (while listening to said podcasts, another point in their favor). Being a grown-up is great for some things but sucks for other things :negative: Surely I'm not the only one with this problem?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's not just you. At this point the vast majority of my gaming time per-week is spent dicking around with the Streetpass Plaza on my 3DS when time is slow at work. When I get home, I am usually way more interested in trying to catch up on some TV than playing games before bed. I think any week where there's both a WOFF and Idle Thumbs means I hear more about games than I play them.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah if I did a video game podcast would people want to hear that I spent last week pushing hikers off mountains into the ocean in gta 5 and then some tf2? Probably not.

I've actually stopped listening to most gaming podcasts where they feel they have to discuss the latest games but don't really have any thing interesting to say about them and just describe them.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Dirtbags has some non 90s stuff in the pipeline. I'll definitely check those out.

As far as gaming time: I totally get it. One of the reasons I keep the prolific podoutput is because it keeps me playing. WOFF means I play at least 24 or so games/year and Comrade means I check out roughly 52 indies/year. It means that I'm not always playing what I want to be playing at any given moment but it does keep me playing *something*.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

It's great that the instrumental Thumbs theme plays when Chris isn't on the show, but he's still in the scene transition sting. Also, the "farting" story was hilarious, and that is probably the best part of the Big Lebowski.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I'm excited to present to you the WOFF! episode about Katamari Damacy. It's a delightful game, and I think it's a delightful episode.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/101

Up next is Harvest Moon / Sim City (both for SNES), then Demon's Crest, and then L.A. Noire. We have a poll coming down the line, too, so get ready for that.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Snail horror exists the manga series Uzumaki is about the horror of spirals and involves a lot of snails.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Snail horror exists the manga series Uzumaki is about the horror of spirals and involves a lot of snails.
That's... cool?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Speaking of Duckfeed-related tangents: that whole bit on Abject Suffering about the Offspring for a minute really makes me sad that Teenage Dirtbags is only 90s-focused. Any Offspring song/video from the past decade is basically ripe for mockery as the aging former-punks slowly try to become either Weezer or an issue of Heavy Metal from song to song.

That reminds me that I was going to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsowJ_kjP8I

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I'm curious if the members of seminal and critically-lauded SoCal punk pioneers Bad Religion shed a single tear every time the Crazy Taxi soundtrack is remembered as being solely comprised of Offspring songs.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

No-one remembers Crazy Taxi as being full of Offspring songs. Everyone just remembers Crazy Taxi as being full of YA YA YA YA YAAA

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

That's... cool?

It actually is cool! Junji Ito is the master of surreal dream-like body horror. Uzumaki is probably my favourite thing of his. Everyone's probably seen The Enigma of Amigara Fault but that's one of his too.

Things Junji Ito have also made horror stories out of: Fish, grease, comedy, population density, fashion, sewing, smoking, er... cats?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 29, 2015

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

TetsuoTW posted:

No-one remembers Crazy Taxi as being full of Offspring songs. Everyone just remembers Crazy Taxi as being full of YA YA YA YA YAAA

It's true. I couldn't tell you a single other thing on the soundtrack beyond that opening sting. I don't even know what any actual lyrics from that very song are.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

It's true. I couldn't tell you a single other thing on the soundtrack beyond that opening sting. I don't even know what any actual lyrics from that very song are.

My game was Crazy Taxi 2 so this is my Only Song From Crazy Taxi.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AAB posted:

Game podcasts are absurd. Lets plays are better and thats saying something

Thanks for the input, did you do a forum search for "cyclists" to get here or what

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

moller posted:

I'm curious if the members of seminal and critically-lauded SoCal punk pioneers Bad Religion shed a single tear every time the Crazy Taxi soundtrack is remembered as being solely comprised of Offspring songs.

Funny you should bring it up:

quote:

The song was originally written by Dexter Holland as part of a (perhaps tongue-in-cheek) Bad Religion songwriting competition at Epitaph Records, under the title Protocol. The song's lyrics originally consisted of significantly complex vocabulary, like many Bad Religion songs. However, when Dexter offered to play it for Epitaph owner and Bad Religion guitarist Brett Gurewitz, he was told to "play it on acoustic later or something." Dexter felt rejected and rewrote the song's lyrics to sound more like an Offspring song.[5]

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

TetsuoTW posted:

That and the awful clunk boost noise.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Forgot to promote this week's Retronauts about JAPAN, so go listen to it, ya turkeys.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bobservo posted:

Forgot to promote this week's Retronauts about JAPAN, so go listen to it, ya turkeys.

You're going to be in a treat for when you go this year, Bob.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Phone posted:

You're going to be in a treat for when you go this year, Bob.

Is Japan throwing me a surprise party?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bobservo posted:

Is Japan throwing me a surprise party?

I'm sure if you ask Ray and you hop down to Nagoya, something could probably be arranged with his good friend. :v:

I went in March and it was a blast even though I didn't go to Tokyo at all.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
When my wife and I took a trip to Japan last November we stayed in Nagoya for exactly one night just to go and hang out at Critical Hit. It's a really great place to go to.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

This is the most correct.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
add Giant Beastcast to the list because holy poo poo Vinny is back but now as his own thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

MeruFM posted:

add Giant Beastcast to the list because holy poo poo Vinny is back but now as his own thing

Yeah I've only listened to half of episode 0 but it's way better than the normal Bombcast already. It says something about how bad Dan and Jeff have gotten that I'd rather listen to Alex Navarro of all people (or maybe it says something about how great of a host Vinny is).

• Locked thread