Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Born Approx. posted:

Commercial bribery sounds a lot like regular ol' capitalism to me.

Bribing employees to get a better deal in the bidding phase of contracts is massively inefficient behavior and the countries who are good at capitalism really crack down on it hard. If FIFA was a for profit corporation these bribes would be straight up theft from the shareholders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Bribing employees to get a better deal in the bidding phase of contracts is massively inefficient behavior and the countries who are good at capitalism really crack down on it hard. If FIFA was a for profit corporation these bribes would be straight up theft from the shareholders.

I thought FIFA (and FIFA members/employees?) were receiving bribes, not giving them.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

I thought FIFA (and FIFA members/employees?) were receiving bribes, not giving them.

Right, they received bribes and dispensed sub-market-rate contracts. This is a straight-up diversion of money from FIFA's coffers to the pockets of the board members.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
So in other words, there's really no reason to give a single gently caress about this case? What do I care if FIFA runs itself into the ground through inefficient business practices? Depressing, but not surprising, that this is what the U.S. is going after them for when there are far more egregious issues to consider.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Born Approx. posted:

So in other words, there's really no reason to give a single gently caress about this case? What do I care if FIFA runs itself into the ground through inefficient business practices? Depressing, but not surprising, that this is what the U.S. is going after them for.

Well, for one thing FIFA donated roughly $750,000 to relief for Haiti after the earthquake and one of the dudes who was just arrested skimmed roughly half of that into dummy companies where it then disappeared into thin air. That probably had human repercussions worth giving a gently caress about.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The Born Approx. posted:

So in other words, there's really no reason to give a single gently caress about this case? What do I care if FIFA runs itself into the ground through inefficient business practices? Depressing, but not surprising, that this is what the U.S. is going after them for when there are far more egregious issues to consider.

Qatar.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, they can use wire fraud to nab you. But as a general proposition, the act itself doesn't seem to be illegal at the federal level.

Interestingly, in page 114 of the indictment, they are using the fact that it's illegal under NY law as part of the charges for wire fraud and racketeering.

edit: It's a moot point, but I do wonder if given FIFA's power and that some of its officials also represent their governments, it could violate the FCPA.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 29, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Born Approx. posted:

I mean they probably aren't stealing from you personally but you do get your money stolen from corporate crime of this sort all the time. Do you only want the government to prosecute crimes that only pertaining to you personally?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Bip Roberts posted:

I mean they probably aren't stealing from you personally but you do get your money stolen from corporate crime of this sort all the time. Do you only want the government to prosecute crimes that only pertaining to you personally?

The only moral criminal prosecution is my criminal prosecution. :freep:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Born Approx. posted:

4-500 deaths projected for Qatar to finish their world cup stadiums, a bid that should have never been accepted as its literally impossible to play soccer there during June/July so FIFA moved the world cup to Jan/Feb which will impact the Euro leagues drastically, to which FIFA said "Tough poo poo".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah like is your position here that bribery and kickbacks are OK? I can certainly understand feeling like this is probably standard business practice, and this is small potatoes compared to (insert other corrupt company/organization here) but c'mon, you gotta start somewhere.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Nessus posted:

Yeah like is your position here that bribery and kickbacks are OK? I can certainly understand feeling like this is probably standard business practice, and this is small potatoes compared to (insert other corrupt company/organization here) but c'mon, you gotta start somewhere.

The kicker is this isnt small potatoes. This is billions of dollars in fines. And to those saying "oh that never happens" those who have already pleaded guilty have to give up $150,000,000. This is a gigantic case.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Do we know why FIFA was stupid enough to run their bribes through US banks or conduct the deals on US soil?

Since it sounds like many of the charges refer to relatively recent events (within the last five years), I can't imagine why FIFA wouldn't have run the bribe money through banks like HSBC or UBS that clearly didn't mind shady transactions, and were based in countries that don't have the RICO act or anti-terrorism laws giving broad jurisdiction to prosecutors.

I'm guessing that it's mostly a case of FIFA assuming they'd never get caught (and maybe seeing US banks walk away untouched from collapsing the economy), but you think an organization engaged in widespread bribery that's based in a country famous for banking shenanigans would be a little better at the whole bribery thing.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Bip Roberts posted:

Right, they received bribes and dispensed sub-market-rate contracts. This is a straight-up diversion of money from FIFA's coffers to the pockets of the board members.

Yeah but if I ran a business or became an executive, my only goal would be to make disgusting amounts of money myself, because otherwise I wouldn't put up with the chore of running a business or being an executive.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Xandu posted:

Interestingly, in page 114 of the indictment, they are using the fact that it's illegal under NY law as part of the charges for wire fraud and racketeering.

edit: It's a moot point, but I do wonder if given FIFA's power and that some of its officials also represent their governments, it could violate the FCPA.

I don't think FCPA applies for most defendants because its relevant for Americans/American-enough individuals bribing foreign governments. I think 2 of the folks indicted are American? If I recall correctly

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, private enterprise is still heavily regulated to provide something of a fair environment - at least, to a degree where FIFA's blatancy was an offense to the whole system. They also matter because football's so popular in much of the world it might as well be a public utility, and FIFA became so powerful and influential through controlling the sport that many nations' peoples loved to watch that they became difficult for governments to regulate.

Then there's things like the Qatar bid and the repercussions that has had, and honestly anywhere where vast sums of money are being moved around illicitly there's cause to crack down because it becomes a magnet for other illegal activity. The assholes skimming all that money aren't investing it all in childrens hospitals, I wouldn't be surprised if investigations into some of the plaintiffs turn up other, "juicier" crimes - surely someone's been murdered over sums of money that big somewhere or other.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Grey Fox posted:

What's the etiquette for offering and accepting bribes for big-ticket items like becoming a World Cup host? Do you come to a handshake agreement before transferring the funds? Do a bunch of different countries get into a bidding war and you just go with the high bidder while pocketing everyone else's "deposits"? Or do you just throw a bunch of money at these guys all the time and wait for them to come through on something big?

edit: vvv obviously, but I was hoping for immediate satisfaction

Officials show up to a massive party and there's brown paper bags full of cash in their hotel room. I can't remember which of the members claimed this but it's been public a while.

Also you go to qatar to talk about slavery and come back saying "no slavery here" wearing rolexes.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

The Born Approx. posted:

On top of other reasons mentioned here, I wouldn't want those corrupt FIFA crooks anywhere near Football, the King of Sports. I want it to be clean and fair, and it just isn't at the moment.

pentyne posted:

4-500 deaths projected for Qatar to finish their world cup stadiums, a bid that should have never been accepted as its literally impossible to play soccer there during June/July so FIFA moved the world cup to Jan/Feb which will impact the Euro leagues drastically, to which FIFA said "Tough poo poo".

I have no idea how this is supposed to work. And did you guys know that the decision to move the World Cup in Qatar to December came only quite recently? Until that moment they literally thought that it's possible to play football in +45 C weather.

But I have more shocking news. The Estonian representative in FIFA said that there is a small possibility that if Blatter is re-elected, that UEFA might pull out of FIFA and subsequently, from the 2018 World Cup as well.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

OhYeah posted:

I have no idea how this is supposed to work. And did you guys know that the decision to move the World Cup in Qatar to December came only quite recently? Until that moment they literally thought that it's possible to play football in +45 C weather.

In the bid Qatar promised they would air condition the open air stadiums.
Turns out this is not actually technologically plausible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What's with all these events (FIFA events, Olympics, F1 races) being awarded to horrible shitholes exclusively, anyway? Can't a halfway decent place put together a decent bribe?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

PT6A posted:

What's with all these events (FIFA events, Olympics, F1 races) being awarded to horrible shitholes exclusively, anyway? Can't a halfway decent place put together a decent bribe?

There is less oversight and less public outrcries. Which means more money to the pockets of top FIFA officials and their cronies.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
Now adding insult to injury. Looks like the UK's Serious Fraud Office may also be getting involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32931356

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Venmoch posted:

Now adding insult to injury. Looks like the UK's Serious Fraud Office may also be getting involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32931356

I think a lot of people smell blood. This is going to become very interesting in the next few weeks.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
This is great. Can the DOJ go after boxing next and clean the drat sport up? It is a complete joke at the moment.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Sepp Blatter explains himself: "If the smear campaign against me doesn't stop, I'll just give the next world cup to ISIS"

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

"Serious Fraud Office" is perhaps the most British name possible.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

raverrn posted:

"Serious Fraud Office" is perhaps the most British name possible.
Only if there isn't actually an accompanying "Ridiculous Fraud Office".

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

OhYeah posted:

But I have more shocking news. The Estonian representative in FIFA said that there is a small possibility that if Blatter is re-elected, that UEFA might pull out of FIFA and subsequently, from the 2018 World Cup as well.

That's just talk, I don't think any EU football association would draw out of the World Cup for this - people have short attention spans and want their football badly.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Junior G-man posted:

That's just talk, I don't think any EU football association would draw out of the World Cup for this - people have short attention spans and want their football badly.

They are asking for players to play in a potentially dangerous Russia, and then compromise their European playing contracts to instead play in a literal desert because they had to move the games to winter due to a high chance of players literally dying. There are limits to what people are willing to put up with.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Lid posted:

They are asking for players to play in a potentially dangerous Russia, and then compromise their European playing contracts to instead play in a literal desert because they had to move the games to winter due to a high chance of players literally dying. There are limits to what people are willing to put up with.

Yes, those poor uncompensated footballers.

Oh wai ...

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Inferior Third Season posted:

"I see on your expenses you've been claiming slide whistles at the retail cost when you were in fact acquiring them wholesale. Care to explain, Mr Bigglesworth?"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Constant Omari (a member of FIFA's executive committee) has just revealed that Germany bought the rights to host the 2006 World Cup. There is always more and it is always better.

az
Dec 2, 2005

mdemone posted:

Constant Omari (a member of FIFA's executive committee) has just revealed that Germany bought the rights to host the 2006 World Cup. There is always more and it is always better.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that every single one in the last 24 years had been bought.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Inferior Third Season posted:

Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type makes me puke, you vacuous toffee-nosed malodorous pervert!

...Oh! Oh I'm sorry, this is the Ridiculous Abuse Office. You want 12A next door.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

mdemone posted:

Deutschland, ein Bestechungsmärchen :allears:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

az posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that every single one in the last 24 years had been bought.

As someone that only pays attention to soccer every 2 years at world cups, I thought that was just how it worked and was apparently legal.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Radish posted:

As someone that only pays attention to soccer every 2 years at world cups, I thought that was just how it worked and was apparently legal.

If you gotta do capitalism, do it right :retrogames:

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Radish posted:

How much attention you pay is quite obvious !

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The only part I was wrong about was the legal bit apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't think Russia is going anywhere at this notice, but I really hope they sink Qatar. It's a moral and logistic disaster.

pentyne posted:

My understanding is you missed a zero on that of death count. It's beyond the pale even by the standards of international sport.

• Locked thread