Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

One of the final skills in the sword tree lets you cast a sign using adrenaline and it's cast as if it has all its upgrades. This unlocks the achievement for filling out a tree completely haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Aurain posted:

CDPR should plunder Capcom's Dragon's Dogma team for Witcher 3 EE.

For real even just for larger monster variety. I was super stoked about hunting a Manticore in W3 because I was convinced I'd seen it mentioned somewhere but nope only Griffins and Forktails as far as the eye can see.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Thanks. Now I want a Flight-mod which would let me see the world from the Bird-eye view.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
So I'm considering a playthrough starting at the original Witcher game and continuing all the way through to the end of 3, but one thing I wanna check first - is the witcher code of conduct or ethics or whatever ever explicitly laid out anywhere? I know it's all about neutrality, and there's something in there about never killing dragons, but that's not a huge amount to go on.

Basically what I'm after is some Ten Commandments type poo poo to make this playthrough fresh and not just "Konig plays a videogame"

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
There is no code. Geralt made it up.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Doesn't Geralt make that poo poo up for convenience most of the time?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Aurain posted:

Doesn't Geralt make that poo poo up for convenience most of the time?

As far as I can tell the Witchers Code is whatever the gently caress makes Geralt happy at the time.

EDIT: Yen is my ONE TRU LUV! As I plow into some other girl. Keira

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Konig posted:

So I'm considering a playthrough starting at the original Witcher game and continuing all the way through to the end of 3, but one thing I wanna check first - is the witcher code of conduct or ethics or whatever ever explicitly laid out anywhere? I know it's all about neutrality, and there's something in there about never killing dragons, but that's not a huge amount to go on.

Basically what I'm after is some Ten Commandments type poo poo to make this playthrough fresh and not just "Konig plays a videogame"

There's one main rule: "Don't kill sentient life unless it deserves killing", which as you imagine leaves quite a lot for your interpretation.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Geralt treats the code like Jack Sparrow does. They are more like "guidelines".

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I really appreciate the Monty Python and the Holy Grail shout-out.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Pretty much the only thing that's frowned upon is contract killing of people. And feline school Witchers were infamous for it, which in turn means they are unwelcome in Kaer Morhen. That's also why your old friend Letho had reservations about going there.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
I'm slowly making my way through the first part and, while I didn't tell Triss that I love her. I did say we should try again and she came back.

Am I gonna be screwed if I tell Yen, that I love her?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Cimber posted:

I really appreciate the Monty Python and the Holy Grail shout-out.

I totally forgot to toss a grapeshot at the beast before entering that cave. :(

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

alex314 posted:

Pretty much the only thing that's frowned upon is contract killing of people. And feline school Witchers were infamous for it, which in turn means they are unwelcome in Kaer Morhen. That's also why your old friend Letho had reservations about going there.

He is Viper school though. Not that they were any better, mind you.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

PureRok posted:

There is no code. Geralt made it up.

Even Sigi knows it's bullshit.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

He is Viper school though. Not that they were any better, mind you.

His uh, past enterprises make him weary of a place that frowns on contract killing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It really feels like there's about the same monster variety in The Witcher 3 as there was in The Witcher 2, which is to say, plenty for a game like The Witcher 2 and not nearly enough for a game that's as open and sprawling as The Witcher 3. There's probably a bit more variety in The Witcher 3, going by raw numbers alone, but I'm definitely not feeling that variety as I play.

My real complaint is the difficulty curve. I never played the first Witcher game, so I don't know if it holds true there as well, but CDPR doesn't seem to be very good at difficulty progression. In both Witchers 2 and 3, my experience has been:

Starting out: Jesus gently caress this is hard. I hate this so much. Why am I still playing?
Few hours in: Okay, now I know how the Signs and bombs and potions work, and I'm getting better at dodging, and now this is a fun challenge that I'm enjoying.
By mid-game: Wow, this is easy. I should turn up the difficulty.
By end-game: I haven't had a challenging fight in hours. (I haven't reached end-game in The Witcher 3 yet, so maybe that'll be different this time around, but from what I've been reading, probably not.)

It seems like maybe CDPR relies on the inherent complexity of the combat system--Geralt's large and varied ability set and the expectation that you'll use all of the tools available to you--for the game's challenge, and once the player gets comfortable controlling Geralt, there's nothing truly "difficult" left. They're also not great at balancing the game's upgrade systems alongside this. I love that Geralt starts off capable in all three categories--that's the right thing for a Witcher and for an experienced monster hunter like Geralt. But the game really feels balanced around Geralt staying at "capable" in all three categories and not upgrading one or two categories to the point that he is a minor deity tearing entire crowds apart while hopped up in Witcher drugs or lighting entire mobs on fire with a single Igni. All that stuff is really fun, I just wish the game was balanced around my being able to do it.

(What I'd love, too, is different sword move sets. To be fair, I haven't tried wielding any of the axe weapons, but they've all been measurably worse than any sword I can get (and I haven't found a wieldable one in a long while anyway), but I'd imagine they just use the same move set. I'd love it if weapons had more complex move sets than "fast attack chain" and "heavy attack chain.")

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Theres like 3 times as many monsters as in Witcher 3 what the hell are you on about?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It may prove somewhat challenging, but to me biggest one was no ploughin' repair kits and Cat sword was down to 35% before the King. Still not that hard, just took long with wet noodle.

Next run, Vassal Temeria under rule of Empress Cirilla whenever I get around to it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
HA! Two of the Baron's guards just went through the gimp lines from Pulp Fiction. "Bring out the gimp..." Heheh

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Theres like 3 times as many monsters as in Witcher 3 what the hell are you on about?

It feels like everything that isn't a humanoid or human-sized monster is either a reskinned griffin, wyvern, or golem. Maybe this'll change as I get further, but I definitely feel like whenever I fight a big monster, I'm fighting the same one over and over again.

There probably are a lot more monster in The Witcher 3 but it's also a much, much bigger and much longer game and so that monster variety feels to me like it's spread pretty thin. Again, though, I'm using "feels" because I'm not exactly keeping count.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Everything feels like a Drowner or Wolf

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Rubicon posted:

I'm slowly making my way through the first part and, while I didn't tell Triss that I love her. I did say we should try again and she came back.

Am I gonna be screwed if I tell Yen, that I love her?

I'm pretty sure you are. I think the words don't matter; if she stays, you are committed.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Harrow posted:

It seems like maybe CDPR relies on the inherent complexity of the combat system--Geralt's large and varied ability set and the expectation that you'll use all of the tools available to you--for the game's challenge, and once the player gets comfortable controlling Geralt, there's nothing truly "difficult" left. They're also not great at balancing the game's upgrade systems alongside this. I love that Geralt starts off capable in all three categories--that's the right thing for a Witcher and for an experienced monster hunter like Geralt. But the game really feels balanced around Geralt staying at "capable" in all three categories and not upgrading one or two categories to the point that he is a minor deity tearing entire crowds apart while hopped up in Witcher drugs or lighting entire mobs on fire with a single Igni. All that stuff is really fun, I just wish the game was balanced around my being able to do it.

To be honest, all the games would probably be a lot better with no skill trees or levels at all. I would kill for a Metroid-style or Zelda style Witcher game where character progression is entirely a function of which tools, formulas, and reagents you have acquired. Just triple the effectiveness of bombs and oils and let all the armors and swords work as swappable sidegrades that emphasized different things (bleeding, poison, whatever) rather than just linear stat grinds. This is the 3rd game in a row where legendary monster slayer Geralt of Rivia starts as a level 1 dipshit with an empty beastiary and a cheap plastic sword.

Edit: Also bring back TW2s potion system which was totally rad and owned. :argh:

Woozy fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 29, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Woozy posted:

To be honest, all the games would probably be a lot better with no skill trees or levels at all. I would kill for a Metroid-style or Zelda style Witcher game where character progression is entirely a function of which tools, formulas, and reagents you have acquired. Just triple the effectiveness of bombs and oils and let all the armors and swords work as swappable sidegrades that emphasized different things (bleeding, poison, whatever) rather than just linear stat grinds. This is the 3rd game in a row where legendary monster slayer Geralt of Rivia starts as a level 1 dipshit with an empty beastiary and a cheap plastic sword.

Yep, I think that would be fantastic. Let mutagens work like passive skills: maybe let the player slot up to four mutagens, which can have effects like "increased Toxicity cap" or "cast Signs using Adrenaline when your Stamina is too low." Then have everything else just be a function of what tools you find. I'd love that, and it would hopefully make the difficulty curve a lot smoother, rather than the massive early difficulty spike followed by a steady slide downward.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Slashrat posted:

I'm pretty sure you are. I think the words don't matter; if she stays, you are committed.

Yep, Triss isn't one for irony or word-trickery, if you tell her you want to try again, you'd drat well better mean it. Don't go two-timing on her and expect her to take it kindly.

On the plus side, you will get a hilarious cutscene.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

at what point or location can I get an armor that doesn't look like a picnic blanket or a checkered clown vest

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

at what point or location can I get an armor that doesn't look like a picnic blanket or a checkered clown vest

Probably around the time you get the Griffin School Gear scavenger hunt in Velen. Unfortunately, the armor you get from that is... questionable in its aesthetics as well, but at least it isn't checkered.

The upgraded versions of the Cat School gear and all of the Bear School gear that you can get later look awesome, and you'll find some cool-looking medium and heavy armor around Velen, too.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

You have to role with the fashion bro.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

MinibarMatchman posted:

Merchant in White Orchard sells Temerian Armor which looks really cool and works well enough to use until you can get the first Griffin set (around level 8-11 depending on the difficulty).

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Savy Saracen salad posted:

You have to role with the fashion bro.

What, you mean the medium armor i am wearing that has the ruff around the collar isn't fashionable any more?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Woozy posted:

Merchant in White Orchard sells Temerian Armor which looks really cool and works well enough to use until you can get the first Griffin set (around level 8-11 depending on the difficulty).

How do I start this?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I only have 3 biggish gripes with this game

1. Combat feels too swishy.
2. Loot doesn't scale well and neither is it varied enough. Not sure how it works but it is annoying when your quest reward, on a level 7 quest completed by a level 7 character, contains level 5 gear. FFS.
3. Crafting, considering the sheer variation of trash we collect, isn't varied enough. Other than the Griffin/Wolf witcher gear, the other stuff doesn't really give you any flexibility - the percentages on the bonuses are too small to justify losing those extra 25pts of armour just to keep your 5% igno boost.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How do I start this?

It's free DLC. The merchant who sells it is the one you rescued from a griffin on the way to White Orchard.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a trick to Drowners or are their hitboxes just really loving awful? I swear the vast bulk of my deaths come from those assholes stunlocking me from several feet away.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

It's free DLC. The merchant who sells it is the one you rescued from a griffin on the way to White Orchard.

Sorry, I meant find the quest for Griffin set. I've got 3 maps towards cat pieces but all the quest are high teens and up iirc.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there a trick to Drowners or are their hitboxes just really loving awful? I swear the vast bulk of my deaths come from those assholes stunlocking me from several feet away.

Only dodge sideways, dodge, hit, roll back. Line them all up, Ignis. Repeat

EDIT: Burn the water hags to death first

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Do you ever get to fight vampires that aren't the bat men (ekimmaras?) I did a very long side quest where the end result was a fight against an old higher vampire and I was pretty disappointed when he just transformed into a bat and I kicked his rear end within a minute.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Maaaan just sailing around the Skellige isles with that music and my beard flowing in the breeze and gently caress this game is pretty. I probably spend to much time just checking out the scenery in this game sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Welp, think I ran into a pretty huge roadblock bug. On PS4 and I get stuck at an infinite loading screen in Skellige after finding the person who caused the bear attack in the main hall. Exiting, reloading an earlier save and going back to that point doesn't fix the problem. Anyone else run into this?

Edit: Turns out this is known issue across all platforms and CDPR said they'd address it over a week ago, but no timeframe was given and it wasn't fixed in 1.03 or 1.04... ugh. It's apparently a necessary quest for the main story and there are no workarounds, so I guess I'm just done with the game until they get around to it. Whenever that is. Fucks sake.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 29, 2015