Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The wildest of stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Stormgale posted:

Maybe this could be fun to play again in between FFXIV content cycles, I did miss yelling at people and sherpaing people through the dungeons

It's not. Play a single player game or go outside. You'll have way more fun.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Republicanus posted:

If they sold it to someone who likes to make good fun games - like Blizzard - with the art assets and all, they might be able to pull a nice F2P game out of the rubble.

Considering Blizz's last Wow expack, I'd say go one further. Buy Wildstar, and just make it the next WoW expansion.

6 new races. Slightly more interesting combat. Burning-crusade style setting.

All it needs is orcs.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Someone looked at this and thought, "Yep, good enough".

(I can't believe how atrocious that race looks)

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Mizuti posted:

Someone looked at this and thought, "Yep, good enough".

(I can't believe how atrocious that race looks)

Am I missing some obvious problem here?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
It's Wildstar

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Well, yes, but it would seem to me the art direction is the one thing that's somewhat decent in the game, not in everyone's taste though.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
IMO, regardless of personal taste, they just don't mesh with the rest of the game's style which is more evocative of TF2. They tend to either look overly anime next to the generally Western-style characters and surroundings, or have features and proportions that look bizarrely cartoony even considering the art direction. I was trying to think of what that woman reminded me of...

A Bratz doll.

ContraceptiveCereal
Mar 27, 2010
I like how they at least made the races independent looking from one another though, and how they aren't really creepy (See TERA). And the sliders aren't bad, they allow for two people of the same race to look entirely different, which isn't the case in many of these type of MMO's. The rock guys were great, and all the Dominion races, imo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Keep in mind there was a big fight over giving the female character models options for less ridiculous proportions.

And they won. The older models were even thinner and had larger chests :psyduck:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anoia posted:

At long last, you pay exactly what the game is worth.

No, you don't.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

It's not. Play a single player game or go outside. You'll have way more fun.

Nah.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

And they won. The older models were even thinner and had larger chests :psyduck:
I'm not sure about the larger chest part, but they definitely had wasp waists. Not like figuratively, they were like two inches across, this has to be a segmented carapace sort of look. :psyduck:

Asimo fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 29, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Aurin are goofy looking but I think they still fit in. The Granok are probably the best race though, especially with how different skin tones vary by more than just color on them. Some are a little mossy, some are reflective and polished looking, it's cool variety. And the ones with broken heads or chunks of their face blown off are cool too.

I always thought the weirdest race was the Mechari, who can have males who are cyclopean and big weird mandible jaws and all this cool monster robot stuff, but then the women are basically just metal humans. With the standard wildstar sexy person proportions. Never made sense to me.

Also wish the big horned demon beast race kept the slouched over male stance on their women because it would look cool and intimidating like the dudes do, but they didn't so oh well.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has anyone said Mildstar?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Kelp Plankton posted:

I always thought the weirdest race was the Mechari, who can have males who are cyclopean and big weird mandible jaws and all this cool monster robot stuff, but then the women are basically just metal humans. With the standard wildstar sexy person proportions. Never made sense to me.

This is standard girl presentation in just about every video game I've ever seen except vanilla Everquest, in which you could be a great big fat woman with blue eye shadow and rouged cheeks. Absolutely nothing else was good about that game but in the "Can I Be A Fat Ugly Woman" category it will forever reign supreme

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Flesh Forge posted:

This is standard girl presentation in just about every video game I've ever seen except vanilla Everquest, in which you could be a great big fat woman with blue eye shadow and rouged cheeks. Absolutely nothing else was good about that game but in the "Can I Be A Fat Ugly Woman" category it will forever reign supreme

I'm pretty sure Saints Row 2 is the king of that.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Their f2p system sounds mostly harmless.

That said I have zero interest in returning to this game in its current state even for free. I close my eyes I still see a ghost image burned on my retinas of that red zone of the exact same quests every day.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

Unguided posted:

Has anyone said Mildstar?

Tiredstar.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I can't see myself coming back to this game. It just sort of reminded me how lovely full up MMORPGs are. There are plenty of games with an MMO aspect but also non-poo poo gameplay.

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah, female non-humans in these kinds of game almost always just look like human woman with green skin or hooves or some other doodad that marks that they're actually an orc.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 29, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

original female troll wow design dot jpg

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Talking of bad mmos I tried SWTOR. For about 10 minutes. Couldn't get over how ugly the character models were. I'm normally tolerant of poo poo graphics and will play horrible pixel art games or even ASCII poo poo but SWTOR is right in uncanny valley. Can't believe they spent zillions on it and never made better textures.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Looking forward to all the idiots in this thread ignoring everything posted, saying "well free is a good price it cant be that bad", then coming back screaming about how horrible you were told the game is.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

remember the simcity thread? good times

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Flesh Forge posted:

:gizz:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Berious posted:

Talking of bad mmos I tried SWTOR. For about 10 minutes. Couldn't get over how ugly the character models were. I'm normally tolerant of poo poo graphics and will play horrible pixel art games or even ASCII poo poo but SWTOR is right in uncanny valley. Can't believe they spent zillions on it and never made better textures.

Wha? My morbidly obese twi'lek was my favorite thing about that game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Shy posted:

Well, yes, but it would seem to me the art direction is the one thing that's somewhat decent in the game, not in everyone's taste though.

It's not the art direction itself being cartoony that makes me dislike it. It is that the character models feel like they were created using technology that is 10+ years old. Plenty of games out there (not restricting this statement to MMOs) go for silly/cartoon with a splash of "sorta cute at times" and look a whole lot better.

Still, you are absolutely correct when you say it boils down to taste. This is all entirely subjective.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

both my jugg and bh wear fuckoff cool helmets so who cares about their dumb faces :colbert:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

StuG Jeebus posted:

Wha? My morbidly obese twi'lek was my favorite thing about that game.

I dunno maybe they were good at the time but they've aged badly. Or I'm just super picky. If they'd gone for stylised graphics maybe like that Starwars cartoon the game would've stood up better.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, female non-humans in these kinds of game almost always just look like human woman with green skin or hooves or some other doodad that marks that they're actually an orc.

+1 for guild wars 2 making female catpeople not look like women with cat ears.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I wish I could have gotten into GW 2 more since Charr are awesome but ehhh it just didn't click.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
So what was so bad about Rift's store that it was considered 'exploitative'; was it only for raiding and above?

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
I dont get why people are so negative about this game. Did it rape you? Were you literally raped by wildstar???

I'm pretty happy with the announcement. I tried the game a while ago. Seemed like a really good, but slightly lacking, wow clone, though I barely left the starting area...

The cool part of this game is the art. You can talk poo poo all you want, but the character designs are really really good. I was considering buying the game for the character creator alone, the races are very unique and there's a lot of cool lookin TOONS that you can make. I dunno man.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Source your quotes

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ocanthus posted:

So what was so bad about Rift's store that it was considered 'exploitative'; was it only for raiding and above?

Outright selling gear for one.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

killaer posted:

I dont get why people are so negative about this game. Did it rape you? Were you literally raped by wildstar???

I'm pretty happy with the announcement. I tried the game a while ago. Seemed like a really good, but slightly lacking, wow clone, though I barely left the starting area...

The cool part of this game is the art. You can talk poo poo all you want, but the character designs are really really good. I was considering buying the game for the character creator alone, the races are very unique and there's a lot of cool lookin TOONS that you can make. I dunno man.

:crossarms:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Trion's decline into an exploitative shovelware pusher really is shocking. When they released Rift they were probably one of the highest regarded MMO developers ever. I am really curious what kind of shake up happened that lead to its current state.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Are there really only two servers left? Are there any goons playing anymore?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Reason posted:

Are there really only two servers left? Are there any goons playing anymore?

Yes but the PVP one is even more of a ghost town than the PVE server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

killaer posted:

People here have been writing serious posts explaining in detail why they are negative towards this game for a long time now across several Wildstar threads and many MMO related threads in general. The list of reasons is quite lengthy. Lately, there has not been a lot of context in the posts though because most of the posters here probably assume that the actual reasons have been beaten to death and now it is a lot more fun to just mock the sperglords who hail this game as nearly perfect and the design decisions made for the game in general by Carbine.

• Locked thread