Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

How do I get 2* or better gear? The store has items that all have 1* and that just seems to indicate that you can get gear that is rarer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Bown posted:

People aren't great with rollers. It's really not something you charge with. I use it to hang back, fill in nooks and crannies, and then charge forward if I have good backup from Splattershots.

Mmm, the only time I've been splatted by Rollers is when a dude suddenly comes round a corner, otherwise the ancient art of walking backwards and firing does the trick.

Also, why is the outfit for the Inkling girl amiibo challenges a Schoolgirl Uniform, come on Nintendo!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Bown posted:

People aren't great with rollers. It's really not something you charge with. I use it to hang back, fill in nooks and crannies, and then charge forward if I have good backup from Splattershots.

First thing you want to do is paint your team a path to the frontlines, try to help cover it with as much of your own paint as possible for an initial lead, then go splat and start covering everything in the back and getting anyone who tries to sneak past the rest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reiley posted:

I heard from a friend you can't remap controls, which is insane because there's two analog click buttons that are unused and two poorly-placed functions mapped to Y and X of all things.

Nintendo tends to design with a "one size fits all" mentality and I don't really care for it. I prefer my games to be toolboxes that let me do it my way. But whatever, at least we get 2 different control schemes and the ability to adjust sensitivity :v:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

OK so is the amount of content you get for tapping an amiibo actually worth it? It's surprisingly hard to find out what they actually do, as far as I've gathered you get 20 single player challenges and an exclusive costume?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pixaal posted:

How do I get 2* or better gear? The store has items that all have 1* and that just seems to indicate that you can get gear that is rarer.

Increase your chill factor (level) to get higher rank gear or find the super mushroom seasnail and give it to the spike guy to upgrade your existing items to higher ranks.

Katana Gomai posted:

OK so is the amount of content you get for tapping an amiibo actually worth it? It's surprisingly hard to find out what they actually do, as far as I've gathered you get 20 single player challenges and an exclusive costume?

Yeah, single player challenges, exclusive costume, and an exclusive loading mini-game.

I'd say its cool but not something you'd cry over not having, which is cool because I'm not going to get them.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

On the topic of stacking skills, just had the pleasure of playing against a level twenty guy stacking a shitload of Special Gauge up on his 3 star gear running around the map turning invincible every ten seconds with the bubble. Hope that poo poo doesn't catch on because its infuriating

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Katana Gomai posted:

While the game's still new, the additional bonuses the amiibo gear provides may give you a leg up but as time progresses it'll be outclassed by newer and higher level stuff, though if you really want a schoolgirl outfit, go hog wild. :v:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Judge Tesla posted:

While the game's still new, the additional bonuses the amiibo gear provides may give you a leg up but as time progresses it'll be outclassed by newer and higher level stuff, though if you really want a schoolgirl outfit, go hog wild. :v:

I'll pass then, 15€ is already loving steep for that amount of content and I don't like the new trend of locking DLC behind these dolls

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Katana Gomai posted:

I'll pass then, 15€ is already loving steep for that amount of content and I don't like the new trend of locking DLC behind these dolls

Do we have to have the DLC conversation again? It's part of the base game; not downloadable content.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
.52 Gallon owns

jivjov posted:

Do we have to have the DLC conversation again? It's part of the base game; not downloadable content.
It's definitively not "part of the base game" and you made yourself look dumb last time you tried to say this

it's not literally downloaded but it's extra content you have to pay for so maybe stop being a pedant about the term 'DLC'

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Please ignore jivjov.

Judge Tesla posted:

Nothing gets "outclassed" because you can always upgrade your grear with seasnails! :eng101: Its a good design decision for sure.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

jivjov posted:

No I think we all concluded you're a pedantic idiot, no need to retread that ground

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Nothing gets "outclassed" because you can always upgrade your grear with seasnails! :eng101: Its a good design decision for sure.

Ah, this I didn't know, that's actually pretty cool, looks like the Fashion Train lives on then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

IronicDongz posted:

.52 Gallon owns
It's definitively not "part of the base game" and you made yourself look dumb last time you tried to say this

it's not literally downloaded but it's extra content you have to pay for so maybe stop being a pedant about the term 'DLC'

There is content gated behind amiibo, but it is not downloadable content. It ships with every single copy of the base game.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Please ignore jivjov.

Where do you get those anyway

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bland posted:

Where do you get those anyway

I have no freakin' clue :v:

My guess is later on in the single player?

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I don't remember totally clearly but I'm pretty sure they said we'd get the snails as rewards for the festival things they're gonna do every now and then.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

There is content gated behind amiibo, but it is not downloadable content. It ships with every single copy of the base game.

"technically correct", the best kind of correct (you're a oval office)

Also I had a network error in the last 2 of my 3 games, dammit

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Katana Gomai posted:

"technically correct", the best kind of correct (you're a oval office)

Also I had a network error in the last 2 of my 3 games, dammit

It's a matter of clarity and accuracy.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Man I had a game a while ago that one of my teammate immediately poofed. 3v4 was brutal.

So far it seems like Im absolute trash with the roller but splattershots are fantastic. My strategy in turf war so far is "go for kills if you're ahead, go for territory if you're behind." It seems to work out ok.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*patiently awaits Splatoon to finish downloading*

*isn't bitter that it cost an extra $20 for the digital version or that Australia didn't get keys for the latest humble bundle*

:boonie:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

jivjov posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

In related news i got my amiibo 3-pack today with little hassle and I am ready for more mini games. Squid Jump is getting a little old.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My strategy is to first make sure that our home turf is completely painted and nobody missed a spot, and then to set myself up in the middle of the arena and try my best to kill anybody that comes onto our side, so that paint all gets protected. If it works out we can push into enemy territory and then force them to engage us there so we keep fighting back and forth to paint their side of the base. In the end they might cover up everything in their side we paint, but as long as we keep our side totally painted we'll win.

That said people will probably get wise and start running past us to paint our side instead once they get more practice in and learn that paint is what matters most, but for now people get shooter-game blinders and if you start shooting them all in their base they'll just keep dying and coming back to fight you. If you have a good team of 2-3 dudes and you use your bubbles and supers strategically, you can really hold the line. And one other guy with a roller can go around painting like crazy while you guys are fragging.

Need to unlock the blaster and .52 gal asap for maximum ink-murder.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Katana Gomai posted:

Just to note: these "extra missions" are basically "do this story mission again, but with the charger/roller/KRAKEN" and that's it. The weapon varies with the amiibo.

It's a fun lil' extra to go with cool figurines but you can totally just ignore it.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

pixaal posted:

i also wish to know this

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I am having a shitload of fun.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I am having a shitload of fun.

It's a fun old game for sure, I hope Nintendo releases new maps and game modes at a decent pace too, to keep things funky fresh.

Yeah, the dialogue is making me both cringe in terror and laugh.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

My strategy is to first make sure that our home turf is completely painted and nobody missed a spot, and then to set myself up in the middle of the arena and try my best to kill anybody that comes onto our side, so that paint all gets protected. If it works out we can push into enemy territory and then force them to engage us there so we keep fighting back and forth to paint their side of the base. In the end they might cover up everything in their side we paint, but as long as we keep our side totally painted we'll win.

That said people will probably get wise and start running past us to paint our side instead once they get more practice in and learn that paint is what matters most, but for now people get shooter-game blinders and if you start shooting them all in their base they'll just keep dying and coming back to fight you. If you have a good team of 2-3 dudes and you use your bubbles and supers strategically, you can really hold the line. And one other guy with a roller can go around painting like crazy while you guys are fragging.

Need to unlock the blaster and .52 gal asap for maximum ink-murder.

Honestly, when we're allowed to have more coordination and stuff having a bunch of people go for the center and 1 splat roller cover home base will be a good idea. Rushing the center as a splat roller is dangerous as hell, and they can cover lots of uncontested area very quickly and effectively.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

for the love of god, nintendo, patch in a button that skips the squid sisters and also a way to drop from queue.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They have to be adding a way to back out of the queue, Nintendo people have been complaining about it on their own streams.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
The gamepad battery situation is good thing, or I'd probably never take a break.

P. S. NNID is hagkji if you want to kick my butt instead of random Japanese butts.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
I just got to the final boss and holy poo poo, this guy does NOT gently caress around :stare:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

is game good?

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.

madpanda posted:

is game good?

Nah it sucks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Download has finished. Time to bukkake some kids.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

jivjov posted:

So you have to buy something. So it requires a purchase beyond the base game. It is not actually part of the base game, even if that data is part of the game's files, because you cannot access it without buying a second thing. This is not complicated.

jivjov posted:

It's a matter of clarity and accuracy.
No, it's a matter of you being pedantic when "DLC" communicates exactly what people are trying to communicate.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

How to be good at attacking people with a roller: You're a squid now, get close to them. You're a kid now, jump out and roller smash em. Roll over their hard work, then you're a squid.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Dumb question but is it possible to change the Quick Messages mapped to up and down on the d-pad? I remember them being slightly different in the test fire so that suggests yes but I can not find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

IronicDongz posted:

So you have to buy something. So it requires a purchase beyond the base game. It is not actually part of the base game, even if that data is part of the game's files, because you cannot access it without buying a second thing. This is not complicated.
No, it's a matter of you being pedantic when "DLC" communicates exactly what people are trying to communicate.

DLC implies content that you download from the eshop. Which is not how you unlock amiibo content.

• Locked thread