Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
In Good Game news, Rise of Flight is having a 70% off sale:
http://riseofflight.com/news/10/rofs-6th-anniversary-sale/

They're also going to add this cute little thing in to start fleshing out their eastern front content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Too bad WW1 planes are the boringest to fly :/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sorry, but that is a wrong opinion. :colbert:

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
I like Wings Over Flanders Fields more than RoF and that requires me to own loving CFS3 in order to even play it. That just shouldn't be, get your poo poo together sheesh.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

EvilJoven posted:

Too bad WW1 planes are the boringest to fly :/

Look how wrong this guy is

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Every time I try to play RoF I end up in an endless spin2win spiral until I'm 10 feet off the ground. When I try to energy fight with something like the Spad I can't line up any decent shots. I'm really bad at WW1 planes. :(

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Get closer! :black101:

Always get closer!

That is a medium range shot. You want to be that close or even closer!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Shine posted:

Every time I try to play RoF I end up in an endless spin2win spiral until I'm 10 feet off the ground. When I try to energy fight with something like the Spad I can't line up any decent shots. I'm really bad at WW1 planes. :(

You know that wind rushing noise that in 1946 just means you're pulling a hard turn? In RoF that generally means you're turning too hard and death awaits.

Energy fighting is also much trickier than 1946 BnZ stuff. I watched a bunch of Requiem's videos and now I only gently caress it up 60% of the time.

Still, the best part of RoF is getting shot to poo poo and trying to crash land in no man's land with your screen covered in oil, your engine siezed, and bullets whizzing past everywhere. It's got the Dwarf Fortress/Kerbal Space Program losing is fun thing going on.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Splode posted:

Look how wrong this guy is

Bombers are loving great. MP especially.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Splode posted:

Still, the best part of RoF is getting shot to poo poo and trying to crash land in no man's land with your screen covered in oil, your engine siezed, and bullets whizzing past everywhere. It's got the Dwarf Fortress/Kerbal Space Program losing is fun thing going on.
This is true of any decent combat flightsim, even BoS. Maybe even especially BoS, given the lack of other content.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ralith posted:

This is true of any decent combat flightsim, even BoS. Maybe even especially BoS, given the lack of other content.

late WW2 weapons gently caress with it though. If you get hit with 30mm cannons, you explode instantly, or your wing is blown off, neither of which leads to the fun crash landing attempt, you're either dead, or you bail out/eject.

Even worse in anything later than WW2 when missiles show up.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It's basically any game. Even in War Thunder, bombing player tanks, then getting wrecked by player AA and coming back to base with oil and bits of engine everywhere is awesome.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So is it better to get steam version or what?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

SaltLick posted:

So is it better to get steam version or what?

Of Battle of Stalingrad? Neither, don't waste your money.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
BoS: If you're gonna get it then it doesn't matter. Get it on steam if you like steam I guess.

Il21946: Steam is fine but GOG.com has it DRM free and often cheaper. It also interferes less with mods from memory than the steam version.

RoF: I believe you are locked into the store you purchased it from.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vahakyla posted:

Of Battle of Stalingrad? Neither, don't waste your money.

Ah whoops I meant ROF

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This thread now has an appropriate title.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Vahakyla posted:

This thread now has an appropriate title.

I am happy about this.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Not something to be happy about, you should only feel disappointment at wasted potential. :smith:

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not something to be happy about, you should only feel disappointment at wasted potential. :smith:

I'm happy about the thread warning away people so they can be smarter than me :smithicide:

YeahWhatevah
Oct 28, 2013

Shanakin posted:

Il21946: Steam is fine but GOG.com has it DRM free and often cheaper. It also interferes less with mods from memory than the steam version.

Just an FYI - Steam version is basically standalone. You can just pull the whole install folder and run it from anywhere. Still would recommend GOG version though just to assure no BS.

Just picked up RoF on the current sale, if I can keep TrackIR from wigging out on me, the game is a blast. Now I'll probably end up upgrading my ancient Sidewinder to a true HOTAS. I will not get BoS though, 777's business model can go eat a bag of dicks.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Vahakyla posted:

It's basically any game. Even in War Thunder, bombing player tanks, then getting wrecked by player AA and coming back to base with oil and bits of engine everywhere is awesome.
No, in War Thunder it's really boring because their damage model is barely more developed than a health bar.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

YeahWhatevah posted:

Just an FYI - Steam version is basically standalone. You can just pull the whole install folder and run it from anywhere. Still would recommend GOG version though just to assure no BS.

Just picked up RoF on the current sale, if I can keep TrackIR from wigging out on me, the game is a blast. Now I'll probably end up upgrading my ancient Sidewinder to a true HOTAS. I will not get BoS though, 777's business model can go eat a bag of dicks.

The old Rise of Flight thread has links to some campaign tools and such that you might want to check out.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3613675

Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator is pretty well regarded.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh wow, didn't realize it had fallen into the archives. :rip:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

INCLUDES: My very first posts as a Goon :(

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Ralith posted:

No, in War Thunder it's really boring because their damage model is barely more developed than a health bar.

OTOH, War Thunder has a game.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Oh wow, didn't realize it had fallen into the archives. :rip:

That Gotha race haha

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Could we turn this into a catch-all historical flight sim thread? The other one includes Falcon and DCS.

I need to play more Rise of Flight. I picked up the Hanriot in the sale, it looks fun, maybe I'll install Pat Wilson's and start a campaign.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
To mod this thread is frowned upon but I will accept support tickets about simple derails and they will be approved on a case by case basis. These derails have to be within certain strict parameters.

We do though expect a release of a new, paid, thread.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Great now Vaha is going delete our posts and ban us if we mention Ukraine...

...oh poo poo.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Vahakyla posted:

We do though expect a release of a new, paid, thread.
Will the new thread contain any actual posts???

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ralith posted:

Will the new thread contain any actual posts???

Yes, though only checked and approved ones will be allowed.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Only sixteen simultaneous readers though.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
If the new thread supports TB-3 jousting, you can triple that number.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So i finally got track IR and have it all set up.

I feel like im not making terribly wonderful profiles? it can be kindve janky as poo poo when trying to look straight up.
Has anyone pre-made any anywhere for download? Preferably for BOS specifically.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
looking up is difficult because often what happens is one of the reflectors/leds gets obscured by another, or by your hat/clip rig, so it freaks out. Mounting the sensor higher and a little off to one side should help a bit, otherwise, try going down in your chair when you look up to try to make up for it.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Change the curves for your profile so looking up and back requires very little head movement.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Do any of the good games have Rift support? I know DCS does, but what about RoF or the original IL2?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
https://steamcommunity.com/games/307960/announcements/detail/120815347556246176

quote:

Hi Everybody!

Starting the 98th dev blog post, the 98th report about the work that has been completed you realize how massive and complex flight sim development is. And the anniversary is really close - the 100th Friday post in last 2,5 years. It's more than a fancy tradition, or a public relations trick - it's somewhat a natural event. There are dev blog ergo there is IL-2 Sturmovik.

Meanwhile the team is busy creating the project's future. New chapters of the Stalingrad campaign are to be released along with two extra seasonal maps that will be given out for free to all BOS players in a few months. At the same time we keep working on technologies that will improve gameplay in many aspects. Such enchancements are often very hard to describe and even harder - to show, however there's one of the those which you'll probably notice on the last screenshot below. And please remember that BOS and BOM are sharing all of our technological and creative achievements, it's a united project and we care about both parts of it equally.

Here comes the DD's most popular part - fresh screenshots. This time we're revealing the looks of P-40E-1, textured and flying in BOS. Note that the plane may probably get some extra polishing before going to early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

quote:

New chapters of the Stalingrad campaign are to be released

Sweet, new cutscenes followed by the same 4 missions! Only three more hours until I unlock bf 109 gunpods!