Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
M'$ came out before the album dropped? I must have missed that one. I only heard L$D, Everyday, and Electric Body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
best rapper alive new album today

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

bows1 posted:

M'$ came out before the album dropped? I must have missed that one. I only heard L$D, Everyday, and Electric Body

There is/was a version of M'$ on Spotify without the lil wayne verse ahead of the album. I dont know if it ever got posted here like the others you mentioned but ive been bumping it for at least a month now.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

thathonkey posted:

There is/was a version of M'$ on Spotify without the lil wayne verse ahead of the album. I dont know if it ever got posted here like the others you mentioned but ive been bumping it for at least a month now.

LPFJ2, M'$, Everyday, L$D and Multiply all got posted here yeah

L$D is gonna be in an apple or car ad soon, I'd almost bet money on that

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New Jedi Mind Tricks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXtY5_djjI

I know most of the thread isn't into this stuff but JMT/AOTP/Styles of Beyond and associated acts are what really got me into hip-hop (aside from my listening in college to Jay-Z and Tupac)

Vinnie's flow is so goddamn good

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 28, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

l$D is gonna be in an apple or car ad soon, I'd almost bet money on that

Yeah i feel the same way (id bet by this time next year)

Im surprised multiply didnt make the album. Wonder why not

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Kenshin posted:

I know most of the thread isn't into this stuff but JMT/AOTP/Styles of Beyond and associated acts are what really got me into hip-hop (aside from my listening in college to Jay-Z and Tupac)

Funny how tastes change. JMT definitely got me into rap. If I heard the stuff I was listening to these days back in 2001, I would have *loathed* it. Violent By Design is still one of the best albums ever, hard to listen to them these days though lol.

Is Stoupe back? JMT production has always been on point, but Stoupe really made the difference.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

polpotpotpotpotpot posted:

Funny how tastes change. JMT definitely got me into rap. If I heard the stuff I was listening to these days back in 2001, I would have *loathed* it. Violent By Design is still one of the best albums ever, hard to listen to them these days though lol.

Is Stoupe back? JMT production has always been on point, but Stoupe really made the difference.
Yeah, apparently Stoupe is back now and did the production for the new album. Jus Allah is still gone, but honestly I don't mind much, I never liked his delivery or flow (even though I can't deny his talent, just isn't my thing).

I'm not sure I would have loathed most of the stuff I listen to now (though I'm not sure I'd have understood the appeal of Young Thug or A$AP Rocky!) but I certainly wouldn't have appreciated it as much.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I enjoyed this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwRqs8YO5s

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

thathonkey posted:

Yeah i feel the same way (id bet by this time next year)

Im surprised multiply didnt make the album. Wonder why not

It would have been dope if Multiply and LPFJ2 were combined into one seamless track for the album, tbh

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Yuzenn posted:

It would have been dope if Multiply and LPFJ2 were combined into one seamless track for the album, tbh

Exactly why i am so surprised after they did that for the video. Also multiply is just a good song all around :shrug:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I went ahead and picked up Tech N9ne's recent album, Special Effects, and I'm giving it a listen.

It's weird. He does a lot of stuff that sounds fairly experimental--I already knew his penchant for doing some rap-metal and that shows up here along with a number of tracks with very strange structure. Some of it I like, other stuff really falls flat for me.

The strange thing about Tech is I think his best tracks are the ones where it's only him or him and Krizz Kaliko. He has a lot of features on the album and most of those tracks I wasn't that big a fan of. (Hopsin, 2 Chainz, and Lil Wayne all had pretty bad verses on various tracks). That said there are some good ones--Audio Push appears on one track and spit two great (if short-ish) verses, and Eminem's verse, while entirely meaningless speed-rap, is still very technically impressive (as are Tech & Krizz's verses on the same track).

Including skits (there's only a few) it's 24 tracks long. I feel like it'd have been a much stronger album with a lot fewer tracks, and if it felt more coherent.

If you didn't already like Tech N9ne you won't like this album, but if you do, there's some interesting stuff here.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

For those who care about album sales (lmao), Rocky's album is heading for 110-120k in first week sales (or 135-145k with streams). The last figure is exactly what the previous album did, except this time he doesn't have any major singles.

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=296188

But none of this matters because the album is loving great.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Surf just dropped. It's free on iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/surf/id998076113

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I'm getting that throw up feeling in my throat listening to ASAP Rocky trying to sing on LSD. I judge anyone that enjoys this douche music. Really skeptical of opinions enough but how anyone takes Rocky serious is surprising to me. I swear if Wiz Khalifa did the same thing people would be pissing and making GBS threads all over their keyboards.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

temple posted:

I'm getting that throw up feeling in my throat listening to ASAP Rocky trying to sing on LSD. I judge anyone that enjoys this douche music. Really skeptical of opinions enough but how anyone takes Rocky serious is surprising to me. I swear if Wiz Khalifa did the same thing people would be pissing and making GBS threads all over their keyboards.

Lol, quotin' for posterity.

You know this thread though. Everything that comes out is the greatest thing ever AOTY for about a week.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Literally better than pretty flacko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwoKkq685Hk

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if rocky took a really big molly poo poo and recorded it and it only took up the same 1/18th of the album that lsd takes up i'd still take rocky very seriously as an artist annd it would still be one of the best albums of a year that isn't already half done. your assertions are stupid as is your opinion on the track in question.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

At least Chance knows this isn't worth paying for

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

temple posted:

Noted bad opinion haver

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is Donnie Trumpet his Wu tang name

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

you're just salty you were wrong about him flopping temple

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I've been really hard on Chance for the last year or so but I'm really impressed with Surf. It sounds like TPAB, but 10x less boring and pretentious.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I've tried to listen to the Rocky album but he specifically is boring and unconvincing. The production is good. Like the last album, I like about 2 maybe 3 songs. I can't even be bothered to keep trying.

Tremendous Taste posted:

you're just salty you were wrong about him flopping temple
Not much has changed other than he made another album.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

temple posted:

the two aren't mutually exclusive

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i like listening to this album on the subway going to work and stuff but if you actually listen to the words coming out of his mouth there isnt much there tbh. like ive listened to nothing but this album since it came out and the only lines i can remember are wayne's and juicy js

is surf good?

e: today i learned donnie trumpet isnt chance the rapper

40 lbs to freedom fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 29, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

40 lbs to freedom posted:

e: today i learned donnie trumpet isnt chance the rapper

:eyepop:

good electric
Jan 29, 2009
HIS LIFE IS DEFICIENT. HE NEVER HAS SEX.

HE LACKS $10 TO BUY HIMSELF A CUSTOM TITLE AND IS REDUCED TO BEGGING FOR ONE.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

More Thug

https://soundcloud.com/imdoinmefine/young-thug-spaghetti-factory

GOAT

This is super disappointing to me since seeing the snippet a while back. Still good

this is a really good song very emotional

metro boomin is insane

you can buy the NMD Raps motto on a t-shirt

http://www.redbubble.com/people/kawaiigaythug/works/14702528-no-homo-we-smoking-penises?grid_pos=43&p=t-shirt

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Been getting into sufjans rap group sisyphus.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i like listening to this album on the subway going to work and stuff but if you actually listen to the words coming out of his mouth there isnt much there tbh. like ive listened to nothing but this album since it came out and the only lines i can remember are wayne's and juicy js

this is true. i have been enjoying listening to the album a lot this week but the lack of substance holds it back from being a great. still, i will keep listening to it because it is very enjoyable music and rocky's flows are always good. it's just a smooth album with no really bad tracks (some of them are kind of boring and the 18 probably could have been cut down to a more reasonable #) but rocky just aint saying much at all. the sequencing of the album is a little weird too for a summer release.

ps. i genuinely like L$D and i usually hate rappers' attempts at singing with like a 99% hit rate. obviously the singing isnt going to be good by any standard and if he makes more songs like this i will tire of it quickly but this one sounds good to me.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

What pisses me off about LSD is that I think the song worked so much better as it was released before the album came out. With the first verse of Excuse Me and the beat switch up. He should have just kept it like that and had one cool weird song with a good verse instead of two separate songs that I don't think stand on their own that much. I need to be an executive producer. A$AP SHRIMP

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Sometimes you just want an album to get hosed up to. Rocky never really said anything in his other albums either, it's just good party music and that's ok

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

temple posted:

I've tried to listen to the Rocky album but he specifically is boring and unconvincing. The production is good. Like the last album, I like about 2 maybe 3 songs. I can't even be bothered to keep trying.

Im with you, his production is good but he sounds so bored all the time. I like his voice but he doesn't use it well at all, like he hasn't learned how to convey the feel of the song. This album was pretty forgettable to me.

goldblums eyes fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 29, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

Sometimes you just want an album to get hosed up to. Rocky never really said anything in his other albums either, it's just good party music and that's ok

Wrong. Best party music lately is the last track of TPAB on repeat :colbert:

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

thathonkey posted:

this is true. i have been enjoying listening to the album a lot this week but the lack of substance holds it back from being a great. still, i will keep listening to it because it is very enjoyable music and rocky's flows are always good. it's just a smooth album with no really bad tracks (some of them are kind of boring and the 18 probably could have been cut down to a more reasonable #) but rocky just aint saying much at all. the sequencing of the album is a little weird too for a summer release.

ps. i genuinely like L$D and i usually hate rappers' attempts at singing with like a 99% hit rate. obviously the singing isnt going to be good by any standard and if he makes more songs like this i will tire of it quickly but this one sounds good to me.

This is a pretty spot on way to describe the album, but it's a really easy listen and there isn't anything tremendously skip worthy so I'm still happy with some good rear end chill music.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Yuzenn posted:

This is a pretty spot on way to describe the album, but it's a really easy listen and there isn't anything tremendously skip worthy so I'm still happy with some good rear end chill music.

If the defense is "there isn't a tremendeously skipable song and it's easy to listen to" then why do people act like its blasphemy to say they didn't like it?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

thathonkey posted:

Wrong. Best party music lately is the last track of TPAB on repeat :colbert:

i only ever party to the pac interview

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

goldblums eyes posted:

If the defense is "there isn't a tremendeously skipable song and it's easy to listen to" then why do people act like its blasphemy to say they didn't like it?

IDK, people tend to get pretty AOTY or it's the worst thing in the history of ever in this thread but we can probably all agree that for a second album this isn't a bad product by Rocky.

Dexo said it in another thread but we still have Ye, Pusha, and others dropping albums later on this year to get really excited about.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yuzenn posted:

IDK, people tend to get pretty AOTY or it's the worst thing in the history of ever in this thread but we can probably all agree that for a second album this isn't a bad product by Rocky.

Dexo said it in another thread but we still have Ye, Pusha, and others dropping albums later on this year to get really excited about.

I think exactly one person said they didn't like it. But yeah, in general there's always gonna be a lot of excitement and discussion around new releases, and since it's the internet everything gravitates towards extremes.

I mentioned that Rocky is just kinda meh rapping, but that's true. He doesn't take anything away from tracks, but he doesn't really add anything either. And honestly, sometimes that's enough-I mean lots of dudes have made good careers out of just finding good production and staying out the way Jay-Z. I mean there's a lot of dudes who are even good/better rappers that may have spoiled a lot of those songs because they would've pulled the focus away, or fought against the tracks. I think the album is really good, but I also wish that a lot of other people could've gotten that production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

i only ever party to the pac interview

I wish someone would make a screwed & chopped remix