Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How do I start this?

You can probably buy a treasure map from someone but: head Northeast from Crow's Perch until you reach the sea. One of the points of interest in the area with be a lighthouse. You'll have to find another way in because the drawbridge is closed. Dive off the bridge and find an underwater tunnel near a Place of Power. The lighthouse is defended by a edit: Wyvern. If you can't defeat the Griffin you probably aren't high enough level to complete the other two areas, both of which will be revealed in your Quest Log once you acquire the first recipe in the Light House.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Crappers posted:

Maaaan just sailing around the Skellige isles with that music and my beard flowing in the breeze and gently caress this game is pretty. I probably spend to much time just checking out the scenery in this game sometimes.

i'm actually amazed at the draw distance in this, too. definitely the best I've seen in a long time. You can see locations coming from a ways off, and watch NPCs walk on and on as far as you can see.

as far as combat goes I have been ignoring the Slow AoE sign too much, but it's actually really great and not only for specters. Slowing down the spastic foes instead of stunning one at a time with Axii sometimes works out way better.
I do wish that I had more slots to put skills, though--feels like a waste to level up certain things when my slots are filled up. Needing to put even passive poo poo in there is a bit of a drag.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

It feels like everything that isn't a humanoid or human-sized monster is either a reskinned griffin, wyvern, or golem. Maybe this'll change as I get further, but I definitely feel like whenever I fight a big monster, I'm fighting the same one over and over again.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Everything feels like a Drowner or Wolf

Most of the bigger monsters feel the same because you can fight them in the same way (quen, dodge, attack attack, lose quen, kite for stamina regen, quen so on and so forth). If you really get into bombs and potions, you'll see a big difference; same goes for if you get really into signs and start using them as they're effective. Also subtle difference between dodge and roll can become important later on.
Smaller mobs often fight really differently. Especially when Alghouls, Endregas, Harpies and Wraiths become more common than Drowners or Wolves.
Fighting against Humans is often very similar, but the general setting of your fight (and often the finicky-ness of the camera, GOD drat IT I DID NOT JUST GET STUCK ON THAT loving WALL AGAIN) will determine what's most useful.

This really comes into its own on the harder two difficulties.

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there a trick to Drowners or are their hitboxes just really loving awful? I swear the vast bulk of my deaths come from those assholes stunlocking me from several feet away.

Always Be Dodging and Pay Attention (to what's going on around you)
You can interrupt the attack moveset to dodge quickly out of combat.
The camera issues aside (GOD drat IT I DID NOT JUST GET STUCK ON THAT loving TREE/CLIFF FACE AGAIN), you can get it so that you have a good idea of what a drowner behind you is doing; if you know what their "wind-up animation" is (Drowners have this weird thing where most of their attacks are a chain of quick attacks coming off a lunge which is really easy to spot when you get used to it). Dodging to the sides (if you're using a controller, dodging diagonally around them can be super duper successful in some situations) is pretty important too.
My personal biggest problem with Drowners is that you're generally facing more than 2, and if you miss the first dodge, the others will tend to all hit too and there goes 90% or more of your HP.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In the last thread, Comte told us how he was responsible for hand placing each and every whale in the game world.

I finally found a whale, on the coast of Velen.

It was dead. Drowners were swarming round it's innards. :smith:

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
A fun trick for Drowners is using Tawny Owl to spam Igni until one of them starts on fire, then throwing a Dragon's Dream bomb at him.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Woozy posted:

A fun trick for Drowners is using Tawny Owl to spam Igni until one of them starts on fire, then throwing a Dragon's Dream bomb at him.

You mean using Igni once with 100% burn chance and laughing all day.
Didn't know you could throw Dragon's Dream on an already burning fire though, that's hella cool.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 29, 2015

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It shouldn't keep happening 70 hours in, but I keep getting surprised by this game. My friend was over and we were playing around. We were doing this one quest and decided to just run there. By the time we finished the original quest, we had finished 3 others and had 2 more in the journal. He was blown away.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Problem is I AM dodging to the side but the fuckers still hit me. This is the only mob I have such an issue with. :v:

I hate those wet bastards.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Woozy posted:

I've never gotten this to work :(

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Haha, some of those books are great:

Also, another one details how golems were acidentally invented by a dwarven brickmaker (who nobody had realised was magically acive) who lost his family in a anti-nonhuman pogrom. He buil the golem intending it to be a curse, carving the names of all the vitis of the pogrom into it. Then he commited suicide next to it, his blood activated it and it went on a rampage killing ~500 humans including the cities' mayor and governing council before the garrison brought it down with a ballista. :stare:

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Cat Armour is the best looking armor in game.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Magni posted:

Also, another one details how golems were acidentally invented by a dwarven brickmaker (who nobody had realised was magically acive) who lost his family in a anti-nonhuman pogrom. He buil the golem intending it to be a curse, carving the names of all the vitis of the pogrom into it. Then he commited suicide next to it, his blood activated it and it went on a rampage killing ~500 humans including the cities' mayor and governing council before the garrison brought it down with a ballista. :stare:

This is pretty close to the IRL golem legend, except sub('dwarves', 'Jews').

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

just got the ciri gwent card :stare:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I'll defend the combat system despite its flaws, but gently caress drowners forever. I almost feel like drowners being the hardest most annoying enemy in the game is deliberate at this point. gently caress the swamp. gently caress drowners.

I'm amazed that I'm still in Act 1. I had assumed that finishing up the Velen quest line meant I was done with the first act.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Things people shouldn't get hung up on in this game:

1) Combat.
Don't worry about not having the best gear. Don't worry about which gear set you use. Don't worry about stacking all the possible buffs you can or which runes are the best and which ones suck, it doesn't matter. Just focus on learning monster attacks and how to dodge, parry, and counterattack correctly against them.

2) Crafting
There is a metric gently caress ton of items in this game and you don't need to give a poo poo about 99% of them. Seriously. Unless you're on the hardest difficulty setting because you need to prove your gamer cred, you don't really need to give two fucks about the items. What you need to know is this: potions/bombs only need to be crafted once and then they'll automatically be refilled using alcohol when you are meditating. Sometimes you might decide that you want to craft a piece of gear and realize you need a certain bodypart from a monster. 90% of the time I found that was something I could get from dismantling another monster item. For example some griffin armor needs "Monster eggs", which you can get from dismantling "Griffin eggs". Similarly don't worry about wasting runes or needing to free up a rune slot in your sword or being forced to put all your points into a single tree to get the best out of it.

3) Getting stuck on a tough monster
The only time this should ever happen is during story quests although I unknowingly triggered a few higher quests without realizing it and got in over my head. One instance was the Gwent tourney where I had to brawl with a noble or die and he was a dozen levels higher than I was. This made for a tough situation that forced me to learn how the mechanics of the game really worked and improve as a player in order to get around them. Instead I could have just reloaded a save before I entered the tournament and come back to it later, making a note in my head that quests with a red skull were bad. It's up to you, some people like smashing their head against a tough challenge others get very frustrated and dislike feeling "gated" by levels. It's an open world game so that comes with the territory, sometimes you'll find something higher level than you and you can come back to it later, but let me tell you: you're not missing anything. Everything you find in the world is basically worthless compared to actually being competent and patient in a combat. There's no magic sword out there that's just going to tear through everything like paper and trivialize combat(min/maxing skills do that), so you can't get to that treasure chest because there's a high level enemy in the way? Seriously, don't sweat it. Whatever that thing is guarding is probably worthless. Furthermore, don't worry about being underleveled on gear. I, almost exclusively kept to just the Griffin armor sets and was fine, in fact I even went a couple levels naked because I accidentally upgraded my gear without seeing what level the next tier was, rather than just find some crappy armor and put it on I just said gently caress it and went naked because I knew it wasn't worth the effort to track down good gear before moving onward. Did that make some fights harder? Yes, but I still managed fine. One of the fights I did naked was the Wild Hunt attack Caer Morhen and I came through without a single reload. Seriously, don't worry about your gear and don't get stuck on a tough monster.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Problem is I AM dodging to the side but the fuckers still hit me. This is the only mob I have such an issue with. :v:

I hate those wet bastards.

Drowners are dicks.

The biggest thing I've learned about fighting in TW3 is that I need to treat it a little like Bloodborne, in that "dodge backwards" is often a terrible idea. Enemies can keep up with your backwards dodges, especially Drowners. Once I started dodging to the side and working really hard to make sure I stay on the edge of any group of enemies, it got a lot better.

Also Igni is absolutely crucial against Drowners, even if you're not specialized in Signs at all.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Cat Armour is the best looking armor in game.

Upgraded Cat and unupgraded Bear are definitely the best-looking sets.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I just did the fight at the witch-hunter post in Novigrad and it took me like eight tries. I was kinda mad about the camera in the small room, but then I realized I had ended up killing like twenty people single-handed. And then burned down their house.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Harrow posted:

Drowners are dicks.

The biggest thing I've learned about fighting in TW3 is that I need to treat it a little like Bloodborne, in that "dodge backwards" is often a terrible idea. Enemies can keep up with your backwards dodges, especially Drowners. Once I started dodging to the side and working really hard to make sure I stay on the edge of any group of enemies, it got a lot better.

Also Igni is absolutely crucial against Drowners, even if you're not specialized in Signs at all.

Upgraded Cat and unupgraded Bear are definitely the best-looking sets.

I like Bear all the way up to Superior, and then Mastercrafted just shits all over it. I personally think mastercrafted Cat looks really goofy too, though admittedly both schools are still better than Griffin.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Drowners are nuts because some of their attacks beat basically everything you have besides the roll.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

Aye, I think playing so much Bloodborne is kind of my problem - I'm simply not used to the lack (or just fewer?) invincibility frames on Geralt's dodge. Looks like I'll try to find room in my build for the one that reduces damage if you're hit when dodging something.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Where's my Wolf set? :colbert:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there a INI/XML setting to fiddle with to remove/tweak face pop in? It's jarring to see faces switch from the low LOD model to normal res like 2-3 feet in front of me with everything set to max.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

PureRok posted:

Where's my Wolf set? :colbert:

At least for the armour. Upgrades better be in the free dlcs or I am going to invade Poland.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Add the wolf set but make it an upgrade from warrior's leather jacket, hire me cdpr

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I honestly haven't had much trouble with drowners after the first few times I fought them. I think my play style must suit fighting them, because I'm actually pretty bad at the game and have loads of trouble with big heavy opponents like cyclopes and gargoyles, at least when I get too stubborn to use quen. I think drowners aren't too bad if you're both very aggressive and evasive at the same time. Keep pace with their movements and attack relentlessly and they go down fast. Constantly dodge towards them as long as it won't lead to getting surrounded. That way it's easy to side step their attacks after hitting them a few times. I find large groups of humans harder than drowners because of the blocking and the archers, or I would, anyway, if you couldn't kill them instantly with axii.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
So is there any point in having loot drops in this game? I literally haven't found a piece of gear that can keep up with my witcher sets in 15 levels or so. I keep getting these quests where i help a blacksmith craft a legendary sword and then when he gives it to me it's a pos. Between all the gear being vendor trash, having 20k gold or so since level 15 and the nominal amount of xp you get it doesn't make doing sidequests very rewarding.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Riso posted:

At least for the armour. Upgrades better be in the free dlcs or I am going to invade Poland.

Danzig or war!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CJ posted:

So is there any point in having loot drops in this game? I literally haven't found a piece of gear that can keep up with my witcher sets in 15 levels or so. I keep getting these quests where i help a blacksmith craft a legendary sword and then when he gives it to me it's a pos. Between all the gear being vendor trash, having 20k gold or so since level 15 and the nominal amount of xp you get it doesn't make doing sidequests very rewarding.

crafting/alchemy recipes are the only rewards worth thinking about

I still can't find griffin treasure maps 1 and 2 - hattori had 4 and some armorer had 3, but I think I gotta google the rest.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I got the Moon Blade and it was better than my Witcher stuff. :shobon:

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

crafting/alchemy recipes are the only rewards worth thinking about

I still can't find griffin treasure maps 1 and 2 - hattori had 4 and some armorer had 3, but I think I gotta google the rest.

I think the map was on one of the vendors in Crow's Perch but if not it was in Dragonslayer's Grotto NW of Downwarren.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005
Does holding down the mouse button longer after taking a swing do anything? I could swear it's made fighting better for me, because now it looks like I'm chaining attacks better, and Geralt has started doing cool things like an extra pirouette that actually contacts, or stabbing the creature standing behind him under-the-arm style.

Of course, it could just be that doing this has slowed me down, and I'm not taking extra swings at the air anymore.

:pseudo:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

CJ posted:

Nope. Normal gear doesn't surpass witcher stuff until like level 40+ and there's no reason (or even a way?) to level that much because content stops at level 35ish.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
So how are folks getting cards to build their Gwent decks? I see a few here and there at shops, but not nearly enough to really dive in to deck building, especially given the different deck types. I'm probably 20+ hours in and lvl 11, and haven't encountered much.

In fairness though, I've seen, like 1/5th of the map in that time...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CJ posted:

I think the map was on one of the vendors in Crow's Perch but if not it was in Dragonslayer's Grotto NW of Downwarren.

I have the base set - I'm talking about the maps for the upgrades that you generally buy from vendors. I have all four of the bear maps, all four of the cat ones, and only two of the four griffin ones, and of course griffin is the one I want to use. I can make all of the superior and mastercraft parts, but not the enhanced ones. (I did find two of the enhanced upgrades randomly - I wonder if that's prevented me from getting the maps.)

TheStampede posted:

So how are folks getting cards to build their Gwent decks? I see a few here and there at shops, but not nearly enough to really dive in to deck building, especially given the different deck types. I'm probably 20+ hours in and lvl 11, and haven't encountered much.

In fairness though, I've seen, like 1/5th of the map in that time...

Using the northern realms deck and building it up a card at a time. You get one card from each merchant, nicer cards from the gwent quests, and can buy cards at every inn. Play every merchant you find, and don't leave until you win - that lets you see that "play cards" is greyed out so you don't repeat a merchant. (I would buy an inn's cards as soon as you get there as long as it doesn't put you in the poorhouse - it saves tracking them down later, especially in a game where inns aren't all shown on the map for some reason.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 29, 2015

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I got the Moon Blade and it was better than my Witcher stuff. :shobon:

I've picked up Skellige longswords that were better than my ultra god killing Blade of the Bits...the neutered one you get, anyway.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
A hotfix for the XP bug is coming to PC on Monday, sometime later that week for consoles.
As expected, you won't get your XP back retroactively. The dev even said that there's no balance issue due to the bug.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

So the Enkinda decoction combined with whirl breaks the game. A quarter second of whirling is enough to go from 1% health to 100%.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So I think I found 6 or 7 places of power in White Orchard and so far have only found three in Velen/Novigrad. Am I just bad or is the density much lower outside of White Orchard?

Son of Rodney posted:

just got the ciri gwent card :stare:
How do you get it?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Haven't had too many problems with Drowners, but then I'm still rolling around more than I should; W2 habits die hard. Seriously, rolling around a drowner pack makes them a lot easier to deal with; even rolling backwards lets me dodge their lunges most of the time. If you get stuck in the middle then you're screwed or at least going to lose a lot of health, but that's true of anything.

Roll around, get them clumped up, then feed them an enhanced grapeshot to the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I don't know why everyone has so much trouble with the dodging. When I hop dodge sideways right as the attacker's health bar flashes red the combat log shows "<attacker> hits Geralt for 0", without the "no damage during dodges (presumable for rolling?)" ability equipped. Basically, when I get surrounded by Nekkers or Drowners or other fast things I hop dodge until I'm on the periphery of the group, roll dodge away, then drop Yrden to slow them as they come at me. Then I dodge to the side as the nearest one leaps to attack, cut it down in the air, and keep dancing sideways along the outside of the Yrden cutting poo poo up.:shrug: