Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
Question: If I get assigned Berserker for the Wind Crystal, does that mean I'm stuck with freelancer until I get my next crystal job assignment?

Edit: It seems we are at 30 Berserkers, and at the time of this edit there's 146 BERSERKER RISK players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Jueg01 posted:

Question: If I get assigned Berserker for the Wind Crystal, does that mean I'm stuck with freelancer until I get my next crystal job assignment?

Edit: It seems we are at 30 Berserkers, and at the time of this edit there's 146 BERSERKER RISK players.

Pretty much yeah. Last year if you got red mage in classic you had to drag a freelancer along with the rest of your party till you got to the water crystal.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I went with a normal reg...AND BERSERKER RISK! even though I've never beaten ff5.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=50132736

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Brannock posted:

How is this different than the old random mode? Just that you can get duplicates?

I think Chaos would be interesting if along with assigning jobs, it also assigned your abilities. Try to win with what you're given!

every time you get a new job it gets pulled from the full pool of twenty instead of what's normally available at that crystal, sounds like. my b ody is ready

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Poulpe posted:

Aw man, the fiesta doesn't start for three weeks? I'm so anxious to participate and finish the game for the first time :black101:

This is what bothers me most about the fiesta setup. I know there needs to be time to get donations in for run choices and BERSERKERRISK but the long waiting period for pre-regs is frustrating. I hope the kick-off run is worth it - either really amazing or really awful.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Captain Vittles posted:

This is what bothers me most about the fiesta setup. I know there needs to be time to get donations in for run choices and BERSERKERRISK but the long waiting period for pre-regs is frustrating. I hope the kick-off run is worth it - either really amazing or really awful.

Last year's sure as hell delivered on the 'awful' quota, I wouldn't mind an actual speedrun that didn't suck this year.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
Reg'd Chaos and threw in 5 more zerker's for you crazy #BERSERKERRISK people.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress it, I'm going in with Chaos Berserker Risk.

I'm still letting myself switch my first class to Blu Mage if I don't like it. It's for charity.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Going into this blind with normal BERSERKERRISK. Let's see how bad this game chews me up.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

If I don't like it I can just do another run afterwards.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I hope chaos is some real stupid poo poo like "each time you enter a new world all four job assignments change and you can't use the old skills" or something instead of what we're all expecting, like "welp my White Mage got replaced by a Monk on the World 3 transition"

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
#regChaos for me. It's more of a treat to get a Berserker randomly.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
Let's say I've only ever earnestly played this game once and didnt even get halfway. How hosed would I be participating in this? I've already registered and I fully intend to play. I just wanna know what kind of beating I'm in for.

Holidae fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 29, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holidae posted:

Let's say I've only ever earnestly played this game once and didnt even get halfway. How hosed would I be participating in this? I've already registered and I fully intend to play. I just wanna know what kind of beating I'm in for.

Multiple people have done precisely what you are describing and had no problem. Post in the thread/in IRC if you have problems and you'll have tons of us offering solutions.

If the reason you didn't finish is the decision paralysis of having Tons Of Jobs, then the Fiesta will be perfect for you.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Holidae posted:

You'll do fine. Just don't go and register for Chaos Berserker Risk Natural or some crap like that, just do a normal run.

The chances of you being in even a difficult position is really low. Three of the Water Crystal jobs are excellent, and the other two are merely pretty good, while all four Earth Crystal jobs are perfectly usable. There's the unlikely position of getting [Thief/Monk], Red Mage, Geomancer, Dragoon, but it's still a perfectly winnable team.

Final Fantasy V is a game that's only difficult if you don't properly use the tools at hand. In a Fiesta, you're given so few tools that you can't help but use them properly. And, like mentioned above, there's a massive amount of resources available if you need help, and while there's a couple of Nice To Have items that you could potentially miss if you're running blind, there's no situation you'll end up in where the game's unwinnable (worst case, there's always levels).

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Holidae posted:

well I've only attempted it once in 2014 (maybe 2013 I don't remember) and that was a regular natural run, I failed to complete the run due to apathy and real life interfering.

Im trying again this year with chaos and berserker risk so I'd say screw it, jump in , the worst that can happen is you don't finish a run.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

someone should bug kewpuh and ask for a sticky once prereg opens up for real, see if we can drum up some more interest

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

750 run with BERSERKER RISK here, because of whatever goon mentioned it earlier and I found the idea intriguing enough to want to try. Also threw 5 berserkers into the pot.

Second run will be chaos because I'm psyched to try that out, but since only the first run can have the berserker risk, I decided to build around that first.

PSA to anyone new to the fiesta: avoid natural for your first run(s). It's anti-fun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vil posted:

PSA to anyone new to the fiesta: avoid natural for every run. It's anti-fun.

I fixed that for you. :)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fair enough, though I do think a single natural run can be worthwhile if only to know firsthand just why it is that everyone shits on it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CapitalistPig posted:

well I've only attempted it once in 2014 (maybe 2013 I don't remember) and that was a regular natural run, I failed to complete the run due to apathy and real life interfering.

Im trying again this year with chaos and berserker risk so I'd say screw it, jump in , the worst that can happen is you don't finish a run.

no the worst is that they take money away from sick children. like they give them a PSP and then say PSYCH and rip it from their hands. and they cry and cry

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Poque posted:

no the worst is that they take money away from sick children. like they give them a PSP and then say PSYCH and rip it from their hands. and they cry and cry

Well, unless they were one of the only people that would've fulfilled someone's pledge and then fail to finish, that's not really the case.

Hell, you can donate to the Fiesta without playing, even. I know people who do that.

That reminds me, I need to chip in :20bux: on payday.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It's absolutely the case, it's a new feature of the fiesta this year.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vil posted:

Fair enough, though I do think a single natural run can be worthwhile if only to know firsthand just why it is that everyone shits on it.

natural sucks because the core of the game is interacting with job abilities and taking that away neuters the game. the reason single class and character challenges work is because they replace the ability tinkering with mechanical challenges (how do i beat this boss whose gimmick doesn't work with my class, how do i deal with this gimmick with a single character, etc.), natural doesn't have that because you still have four toolsets for everything which unless you get really screwed means that it's not much harder than a normal run

anyone reading this, that's why you don't do natural runs

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Question: Are we allowed to discuss what ROMs to use to play the game or is that :filez:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Question: Are we allowed to discuss what ROMs to use to play the game or is that :filez:

As far as I am aware, discussion is fine, sharing them is not.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Wait, hold on, in my practice I got the Fire Crystal jobs and they were only Ninja, Beastmaster, and Geomancer, so I put those in the RNG. Was I supposed to add Ranger and Bard? When do I get those?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Fire Crystal Jobs are split into two packages. Ranger and Bard you get a little later.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

OzFactor posted:

Wait, hold on, in my practice I got the Fire Crystal jobs and they were only Ninja, Beastmaster, and Geomancer, so I put those in the RNG. Was I supposed to add Ranger and Bard? When do I get those?

Soon. The shards are from the Fire Crystal but aren't picked up at the same time. It goes Karnak Castle -> Ancient Library -> Crescent Island -> Ranger/Bard.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

OzFactor posted:

You get them a bit later, after the library and possibly some optional world exploring that's best delayed until you can travel without random encounters anyway.

But yes, they're fire crystal jobs too. If you roll ranger or bard, you just use your wind and water jobs that you'd been using beforehand, until you unlock those two jobs, at which point you swap someone appropriately.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
All right, well, since this is just practice I'll roll it again. And my Beastmaster died before even hitting Byblos anyway (I broke two rods in his face after that).

...Bard!

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I am curious about which version people prefer. I know the mods in the OP are for the GBA version, right? Since I've never played FFV prior to my Fiesta run, I'd love to know what I'm in for if I use different versions.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Jedi425 posted:

I am curious about which version people prefer. I know the mods in the OP are for the GBA version, right? Since I've never played FFV prior to my Fiesta run, I'd love to know what I'm in for if I use different versions.

GBA and iOS versions have the best localization (honorary nod to PS1 version for having a laughably terrible one).

iOS has better enemy sprites and much shittier character sprites.

iOS is played on a phone/tablet and therefore benefits from inherent mobility and suffers from touchscreen controls. It also has a nice auto-battle function (which is really the only Practical Gameplay Reason to favor it).

SNES and PS1 are nice if you're a purist and want a more "original" experience. Or if you, ya know, already have them.

GBA has tinny music but that can be corrected with a mod.

PS1 (via PSN) and iOS are, I think, the only currently available legitimate versions. I would not recommend buying a GBA/SNES (or rather, SFC) cartridge off eBay or something.

Overall my recommendation is solidly GBA, with a nod to iOS if you don't mind its touchscreen controls and character sprites.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Also note that if you do use the GBA version, ensure that it's the US GBA version, so you have access to the quicksave glitch (to rig encounters).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are several glitches that were fixed in the iOS version that make it tougher for certain parties to beat certain bosses. If you really want to exploit the game's bugs, stick to the other versions.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

did they ever fix the omniscient reflect glitch? or is that still a problem

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Kyrosiris you should put the Carl Boss picture in the OP

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

That's exactly the kind of information I wanted, thanks all. I'll probably roll GBA for the mods then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

did they ever fix the omniscient reflect glitch? or is that still a problem

Yeah, most of the tricks work now, or at least that's what was reported in 2014.

• Locked thread