Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

surrender posted:

I have an external 2 TB drive that I'd like to partition in half for Time Machine. However, Disk Utility tells me that I can't modify the partition map since the drive is using the MBR partition scheme. Is there some non-destructive way to partition it, or do I have to erase it and then create new partitions?

Japtor is correct in that there is a util called gptgen in linux (also windows) that says it can do non-destructive conversion. It maybe available in homebrew.

You can try this, but I obviously can't guarantee it will work.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gptgen/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Seriously, screw all mail clients.

I decided I wanted to sync my mail setup between my desktop and laptop. So I've got Airmail Beta running on the desktop, but I read that only the App Store version has iCloud account syncing. So I bought that and imported my accounts into it.

Head over to laptop, install Airmail from App Store, find out I didn't enable iCloud sync on any of the accounts, so I head back to the desktop and do that.

Head back to the laptop, import accounts again, find out that all of the accounts have a "void password", so I have to log into them again. Only this continues even after I log into them. The two Google accounts repeatedly pop up a Google account login box, which asks for my password, then authenticator code, then permission to allow Airmail to do such and such with my account.

It seems to work and has my unread mail in the inboxes, and I go about my business.

About two or three hours later, I notice the Airmail icon has no unread messages popping up, so I click it. It brings Airmail to the foreground, along with a cascade of half a dozen Google login windows for both my accounts.

So I give up on this poo poo, and decide that it would simply be better to give in and install Outlook. So I pull the trigger on a year of Office 365 (save 16%!) and download Outlook. Boy, was I wrong.

I go and install Outlook, and slog through setting up my accounts. All work eventually, except my iCloud mail account, which throws authentication failures, which turn out to be because I somehow pasted a loving newline into the password prompt from the App Passwords web page. So that seems to work finally.

But then I go and discover that it's apparently a royal pain in the rear end to coax Outlook into moving mail to the All Mail folder from Inbox, as a sort of Archive function.

I give up on that and loving delete it, and now I'm back to using Mailbox, and whining to their twitter account because in the two years since they mentioned IMAP support on their blog as a future possibility, they haven't done jack poo poo to support more than Google and iCloud, and I don't really want to instruct one of my Google accounts to pull mail IMAP style from Yahoo and my ISP provided mail accounts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kode54 posted:

But then I go and discover that it's apparently a royal pain in the rear end to coax Outlook into moving mail to the All Mail folder from Inbox, as a sort of Archive function.
I dunno about everything else you have going on but this sounds like the IMAP path prefix maybe isn't set properly - it usually should be either [Gmail] or [Google Mail] (including the square brackets).

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
It's set, but they intentionally don't subscribe to the All Mail folder to prevent duplicate message downloading. You can't move messages to folders you aren't subscribed to.

And then it's still harder to right click on every message, click Move to folder..., then search all mail and hit enter.

Much easier to use a lazy man's client with swipe gestures in the message list, swipe to archive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Someone posted the combination of options that results in all your photos from your devices being stored in your Photos library on your computer rather than iCloud Drive, but I've forgotten where that was.

EDIT: Clarified.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 24, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Someone posted the combination of options that results in all your photos from your devices being stored in your Photos library on your computer rather than iCloud Drive, but I've forgotten where that was.

EDIT: Clarified.
I guess this?

iCloud Photo Library - off
My Photo Stream - on

edit - I'm guessing you have to also turn on the "Importing: Copy items to Photos library" option on the general tab of Photos.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
This is kinda edge case-y but is it possible to set up Mail.app with gmail so it uses the same sort of "sorting" system that gmail does? E.g. promotions/social get filtered to their own folder and I'd only get notifications for stuff that ends up in my inbox.

On my iPhone I work around it by using the gmail app, but there's no gmail app for OS X.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

This is kinda edge case-y but is it possible to set up Mail.app with gmail so it uses the same sort of "sorting" system that gmail does? E.g. promotions/social get filtered to their own folder and I'd only get notifications for stuff that ends up in my inbox.

On my iPhone I work around it by using the gmail app, but there's no gmail app for OS X.

I don't use Gmail with Mail.app so work with me for a second - can't you set up filters, that send messages to specific tags, when you connect with IMAP they SHOULD show up as folders (I think!), which will do everything that you want. I think. Are you using IMAP to connect?

Am I wrong? Otherwise I recommend Tuffmail. The cost is low, the spam filtering is world-class, and you have full control of your folders and filters... Actually, I can sell you a domain name too so you can be robodex@robodex.ca (which is available, actually)

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Pivo posted:

I don't use Gmail with Mail.app so work with me for a second - can't you set up filters, that send messages to specific tags, when you connect with IMAP they SHOULD show up as folders (I think!), which will do everything that you want. I think. Are you using IMAP to connect?

Am I wrong? Otherwise I recommend Tuffmail. The cost is low, the spam filtering is world-class, and you have full control of your folders and filters... Actually, I can sell you a domain name too so you can be robodex@robodex.ca (which is available, actually)

Actually I'm not sure how gmail does it. It's all done automatically--I think gmail learns which frequent senders are social or promotions and filters them into different tabs. On the gmail app and on webmail, it only notifies you of stuff that goes in your inbox. I don't have any filters set up since it does it automatically but when you connect a third-party client (like mail.app) it just puts everything in your inbox. I'll have to tinker tonight when I get home and see if it was just the way I set it up since I just used the automatic settings for gmail in mail.app.

It's not a huge deal but as much as I try to manage all of my e-mail I still get a billion newsletters/e-mails from social media/etc that I don't really need clogging up my inbox, and it'd be nice to use the filtering gmail uses by default. That being said, I have no idea how it works or if it's even possible to get that functionality on an outside app.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hmm. Well, try enabling IMAP and connecting with IMAP, otherwise since I don't use Gmail I don't know. (I have an account but I forward it to my main one, where it takes care of nonsense)

I was pretty sure that Gmail tags become folders on IMAP, but again, I don't really know.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there an easy way to get a copy of Lion? I have a customer's laptop whose repair partition somehow became corrupted and it won't allow me to reformat from the mac itself. Can I just go to the store, buy Lion for $20, burn the DVD and do it that way? Not really sure how Mac's licenses work.

Going to go back to this, since the question was never really answered. At this point, is there any easy way to get any OS onto a Macbook Pro with a corrupted recovery partition? I can put it on a DVD or a flash drive, don't care, I just need to fix this partition as it will not do it by itself (it fails after trying to download. It's on a 30mbps connection, hardwired into my router). A friend was trying to send me something via google docs, but the download always fails. Is there another source for these files? I'll put on Lion and update to Yos without an issue, I just got to get a base OS down first.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Going to go back to this, since the question was never really answered. At this point, is there any easy way to get any OS onto a Macbook Pro with a corrupted recovery partition? I can put it on a DVD or a flash drive, don't care, I just need to fix this partition as it will not do it by itself (it fails after trying to download. It's on a 30mbps connection, hardwired into my router). A friend was trying to send me something via google docs, but the download always fails. Is there another source for these files? I'll put on Lion and update to Yos without an issue, I just got to get a base OS down first.

Can't you do network boot? I don't know which machine exactly you have, or when that firmware update went out. But yeah, you have 30mbps - why can't you just download an image off the App Store from another computer? Or, hell, from torrents... But network boot will work. You could also take it into a fruit stand and have them reimage your drive. You have lots of options.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Pivo posted:

Can't you do network boot? I don't know which machine exactly you have, or when that firmware update went out. But yeah, you have 30mbps - why can't you just download an image off the App Store from another computer? Or, hell, from torrents... But network boot will work. You could also take it into a fruit stand and have them reimage your drive. You have lots of options.

I don't have an apple computer other than the one I'm working on. I was hoping to do something other than torrents (just to make sure they're clean), but if that's my only option then I'll do that.

The closest Apple store is an hour and a half away.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pivo posted:

Hmm. Well, try enabling IMAP and connecting with IMAP, otherwise since I don't use Gmail I don't know. (I have an account but I forward it to my main one, where it takes care of nonsense)

I was pretty sure that Gmail tags become folders on IMAP, but again, I don't really know.
Yeah tags are folders on IMAP, but the magic auto labeling is some gmail specific thing. I tried to figure out a solution a while back but either didn't get anywhere or just got annoyed at the rule setup...I'm thinking the magic auto labels didn't actually show up as options in the filtering rules or something.

Gothmog1065 posted:

I don't have an apple computer other than the one I'm working on. I was hoping to do something other than torrents (just to make sure they're clean), but if that's my only option then I'll do that.

Pivo is referring to internet recovery, it'll just redownload OS X's recovery partition straight from Apple. Looking it up the boot key combo is command-option-R. The big caveat is whether that machine supports it (or was firmware updated over time to support it).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gothmog1065 posted:

Pretty sure Pivo meant Internet Recovery. Either that or ordering a USB stick are your only options for getting Lion on your machine legitimately without going to the store.

Edit: :argh:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Yeah sorry, Apple calls it "Internet Recovery" but what it's really doing is network booting an installer straight from the EFI over the Internet... Regardless, it's cool, if your machine supports it and you have a few hours...

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Question about TextWrangler.

Does anyone know how to permanently remove the file list on the left side? Every time I remove it, quit and re-launch it comes back.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

robodex posted:

MailTab is similar in look to the iOS Gmail app.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lol internet. posted:

Question about TextWrangler.

Does anyone know how to permanently remove the file list on the left side? Every time I remove it, quit and re-launch it comes back.

I just used View->Hide Files, myself. It's never come back for me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

robodex posted:

Personally I would just use Fluid to make the gmail website into an "app". Give it an icon and put it on your dock, and baby, you got a stew goin'.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

flosofl posted:

I'm sure it's me being a stupid-head, but I could *never* get Airmail to see my iCloud contacts. I just gave up after a while.

Just as a follow up, it was me being a stupid-head. At some point, I told Yosemite not to allow Airmail access to Contacts :negative:

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

flosofl posted:

I just used View->Hide Files, myself. It's never come back for me.

Yeah mine keeps coming back after I quit.. not sure why.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

TACD posted:

Pretty sure Pivo meant Internet Recovery. Either that or ordering a USB stick are your only options for getting Lion on your machine legitimately without going to the store.

Edit: :argh:

It'll have to be the USB stick. The Option+R is what is failing (IT'll get about 1/10th of the way and just go back to the recovery screen with this gargantuan recovery log). Thanks guys. It's been getting frustrating, and I wrote the $20 into my price for the USB stick.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gothmog1065 posted:

It'll have to be the USB stick. The Option+R is what is failing (IT'll get about 1/10th of the way and just go back to the recovery screen with this gargantuan recovery log). Thanks guys. It's been getting frustrating, and I wrote the $20 into my price for the USB stick.

Do you mean Command(⌘)-R? Because Option(⌥)-R isn't an valid boot key combination.

Have you tried Command-Option-R? That forces recovery to use the Internet.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

flosofl posted:

Do you mean Command(⌘)-R? Because Option(⌥)-R isn't an valid boot key combination.

Have you tried Command-Option-R? That forces recovery to use the Internet.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255

Yes, Command+R, the clover looking one. I'll try CMD+OPT+R when I get home, then order the USB.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Yes, Command+R, the clover looking one. I'll try CMD+OPT+R when I get home, then order the USB.

Clover one hehe. My buddy calls it 'dixie' cuz it looks like their logo. Dixie-R sounds cooler than Command

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I still call CMD the apple key :cool:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gothmog1065 posted:

Whoa poo poo hold on, I just rechecked the link I posted - it's not for a USB stick, you just get emailed a redemption code. I misread it when I posted it, sorry man :(

You can definitely get a DVD for Snow Leopard (which won't work on your machine if it originally shipped with Lion or later) but I don't think you can get physical media for any other OS X release any more. Maybe call up AppleCare and ask, but you might have to go visit a store.

TACD fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 26, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

For $45 you can buy Apple's OS X Lion on an official USB drive, and not from Apple:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Mac-Lion-Thumb-Drive/dp/B0089FELB2

Some say it's OS X 10.7.0, others say it's 10.7.5. You can always just download the 10.7.5 combo update if necessary.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 26, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I still call CMD the apple key :cool:
Not the open apple key? :corsair:

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Okay, I solved my Screen Sharing login issues, by intiating a total nuke of the operating system and storage (minus the Boot Camp partition), and reinstalled.

I'm slowly restoring, but software in the process seems to be inhibiting me from doing it properly.

I want to restore only my home directory, to leave nothing to chance that something elsewhere was responsible for the Spotlight issues I was having. Finder takes 25 minutes to scan the entire Time Capsule backup image (over 100Mbps link) and finally starts, but then dies because there are apparently two files called ".localized" somewhere in the backup and my system's filesystem is not case sensitive while the backup's apparently is. Or something.

So then I tried to do it with rsync. rsync took about as long as Finder to scan the source material. After about three hours of copying stuff, the Airport Time Capsule locked up and started flashing an amber light. Power cycled it, and it came back up with an amber light flashing interruption before going all green again. *shrug*

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kode54 posted:

Okay, I solved my Screen Sharing login issues, by intiating a total nuke of the operating system and storage (minus the Boot Camp partition), and reinstalled.

I'm slowly restoring, but software in the process seems to be inhibiting me from doing it properly.

I want to restore only my home directory, to leave nothing to chance that something elsewhere was responsible for the Spotlight issues I was having. Finder takes 25 minutes to scan the entire Time Capsule backup image (over 100Mbps link) and finally starts, but then dies because there are apparently two files called ".localized" somewhere in the backup and my system's filesystem is not case sensitive while the backup's apparently is. Or something.

So then I tried to do it with rsync. rsync took about as long as Finder to scan the source material. After about three hours of copying stuff, the Airport Time Capsule locked up and started flashing an amber light. Power cycled it, and it came back up with an amber light flashing interruption before going all green again. *shrug*

The HD in the time capsule may be failing. The only non-network reason for the amber light flashing is SMART errors.

EDIT: More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203198

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

The HD in the time capsule may be failing. The only non-network reason for the amber light flashing is SMART errors.

EDIT: More info here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203198

AirPort Utility 5.6.1 reports no errors.

And then about 20 minutes after I cold rebooted it, my connection died a second time, but the router stayed up. My ISP stayed dead for the rest of the evening, so I went to bed.

Meanwhile, rsync finally finished. It had an average speed of 4807444.47 bytes/sec.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Feeling very stupid. I recently did a clean reinstall of OS X 10.9 Mavericks. When I try and add my google account as an internet account, under the Internet Account system prefs pane, I get an error when I supply the app specific password generated by google (I'm runnings 2FA). The error reads "a connection error occurred." The process clearly isn't totally broken, because when I put my normal password in, I get a pop up informing me I need an app specific password. I've tried the unlock captcha and still no luck. I was able to generate and use a new app specific password no problem for my mail client, so I have no idea why it's failing at this now.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Gothmog1065 posted:

Went through the thread and looked up the machine. An A1278 with a 2.4 GHz i5 has to be a late 2011 13" MacBook Pro. 'Late 2011' was when they introduced Internet Recovery, so you will likely have success with Cmd+Opt+R.

That said I think I've seen Internet Recovery get confused by a bad partition table. If that happens, there's a simple workaround . Even if you don't have any version of OS X to boot from, just make a Linux live USB stick of your choice (Fedora or Ubuntu should work) and use it to blow away the partition table in whatever violent way floats your boat. (I'd typically use 'dd' to copy a couple hundred megabytes' worth of /dev/zero over the start of the disk. Crude but effective.)

(Just realized, since you're not familiar with Macs - To boot from the live USB, power down, stick the drive in, power up while holding just the 'Option' key, wait for the firmware to show its GUI boot device picker.)

After you've done this, pull the USB stick, reboot, and you shouldn't even have to use Cmd+Opt+R. Macs with Internet Recovery automatically go to that option if they're turned on and the firmware finds a disk but no partitions.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Went through the thread and looked up the machine. An A1278 with a 2.4 GHz i5 has to be a late 2011 13" MacBook Pro. 'Late 2011' was when they introduced Internet Recovery, so you will likely have success with Cmd+Opt+R.

That said I think I've seen Internet Recovery get confused by a bad partition table. If that happens, there's a simple workaround . Even if you don't have any version of OS X to boot from, just make a Linux live USB stick of your choice (Fedora or Ubuntu should work) and use it to blow away the partition table in whatever violent way floats your boat. (I'd typically use 'dd' to copy a couple hundred megabytes' worth of /dev/zero over the start of the disk. Crude but effective.)

(Just realized, since you're not familiar with Macs - To boot from the live USB, power down, stick the drive in, power up while holding just the 'Option' key, wait for the firmware to show its GUI boot device picker.)

After you've done this, pull the USB stick, reboot, and you shouldn't even have to use Cmd+Opt+R. Macs with Internet Recovery automatically go to that option if they're turned on and the firmware finds a disk but no partitions.

I'll try this. Sadly I've already ordered the USB stick, maybe that vendor will take it back if this works and I haven't opened it.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Yosemite's disk partitioning is so much worse than Mavericks. Want to delete a partition? No problem! We'll just permanently stick it there as 'free space' that cannot be removed.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I think you can convert the storage out of a corestorage volume in place from the terminal, resize, and then reconvert it back.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

flosofl posted:

Yeah, but ⌘U wil merge two of the tabs like the old Norton Commander of DOS days.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

flosofl posted:

It also adds the ability to "Cut" files, not just "Copy" via keyboard or context menu.

Nice app, though for anyone who doesn't want to bother with Finder replacements: Finder does cut & paste too, except in Finder you choose between copy/cut at paste time. Hold down Option when looking paste in the edit/right click menu, or hit ⌘⌥V