Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Not sure I follow. Wouldn't I be able to update to 1.04 then to the next patch after that when it comes out?

Yes. I may have misunderstood why you wanted to revert but if it is just to temporarily remove the 1.04 changes until additional fixes arrive then that should be fine if you are willing to risk starting over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Thunderbro posted:

Don't try to double team two best friend sorceresses.

I did this. As soon as I saw Yen's reaction to merely coming upon the bed where Geralt once slept with Triss I knew I hosed up and bad stuff was coming. I'm not happy with myself. Should have just stuck with Triss as I was originally planning - all that talk about threesomes before the game released ruined my approach to this.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Avalerion posted:

I remember someone saying you can sleep with Yen the first time she offers, just don't tell her you love her.

Addendum: flagging is telling someone you love them/want a relationship with them

Doing it with two women at once works about as well as one could expect IRL.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I MIGHT have fixed the EXP bug for myself. Took out a loan at Vivaldi's bank, then immediately paid it back (got 13 EXP for it). Then I did a leg of Gwent: Playing Innkeeps and got EXP for beating the guy. So maybe that fixes it?

Although it costs 30 crowns each time you do it. Better than nothing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Woozy posted:

I would be super bummed if you were to create your own Witcher for these games. I think a big part of the reason they're so effective is that Geralt isn't a blank slate Bioware self-insert. Practically all of Witcher 3 is motivated by his history and relationships with a huge number of friends, family members, rivals, enemies, and comrades.

I agree. I never played the first Witcher game (and, though I intend to, I've never read the books), so when I first played The Witcher 2, I didn't quite understand the concept of playing a choose-your-own-adventure type of RPG with a predefined character. Now I wouldn't have it any other way with this series. I hope that if/when CDPR makes a new Witcher game after this, the player character is another defined character like Geralt. Leave the make-your-own-character stuff to Cyberpunk 2077 (which I'm pretty sure they are).

CVagts posted:

I MIGHT have fixed the EXP bug for myself. Took out a loan at Vivaldi's bank, then immediately paid it back (got 13 EXP for it). Then I did a leg of Gwent: Playing Innkeeps and got EXP for beating the guy. So maybe that fixes it?

I'll try that when I get home. It's worth a shot.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Given how bleak every ending is for the world I'm having a hard time thinking of ways for them to continue the series, even after they've said it's not necessarily the last Witcher game.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

CVagts posted:

Please update when you've done a contract or main quest, I'd love if someone found a weird fix for this.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Verranicus posted:

Given how bleak every ending is for the world I'm having a hard time thinking of ways for them to continue the series, even after they've said it's not necessarily the last Witcher game.

The ending was bleak at the end of W2 as well.

Edit:

Also, this bug is limited to just 1.04 correct? Because I'm positive that I've done a couple of grey quests and I'm definitely still getting xp. I went to bed yesterday after reaching level 30 and getting my mastercrafted swords.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
A lot of you might be getting confused by the fact that a lot of quests give zero or absolute piss experience. Even being a grindmaster you're only going to get 4-5 extra levels over what the main quest throws at you over literally all the secondary content in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Verranicus posted:

The world is always bleak in the Witcher, as far as I can tell. The best Geralt can do is make things better in a small area or for the people he cares about.

Thunderbro posted:

A lot of you might be getting confused by the fact that a lot of quests give zero or absolute piss experience. Even being a grindmaster you're only going to get 4-5 extra levels over what the main quest throws at you over literally all the secondary content in the game.

True, but it is worth noting that CDPR have confirmed the bug exists. I know I've done types of quests that used to give experience and that aren't giving me any anymore. I'm pretty sure I got experience from doing the Griffin School scavenger hunt quest, for example, but I didn't get any at all from the Cat School one. I haven't tried a main quest since I heard about the bug and noticed it (potentially) affecting me, so maybe I should try.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, as said before, "grey" quests aren't even meant to give you any exp. But I don't get any from a couple green ones I accidentally finished (I thought one quest would continue but it ended and started a new one!) and now I'm afraid to try to advance the main plot. I think someone said main quests are immune to the bug? Or I could just reload and do the whole quest again when it's fixed, but man what a hassle. Probably the wisest thing is just to go exploring the countryside, play Gwent and continue with quests when it's cleared.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

I'm not sure i get the fighting in this game. When fighting non human enemies, all I do is dodge backwards wait for the magic thing to fill up, hit them with it an get a cut in with the sword then repeat. Trying to block them either staggers me or they just attack thru it. Also, signs like igni seems to have really weird hitboxes, some times Ill have 3 enemies in a row in front of me it wil only hit the ones on the right and left.

I maxed out the skill thats supposed to make me not take damage while dodging, but it doesnt seem to work at all.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Woozy posted:

I would be super bummed if you were to create your own Witcher for these games. I think a big part of the reason they're so effective is that Geralt isn't a blank slate Bioware self-insert. Practically all of Witcher 3 is motivated by his history and relationships with a huge number of friends, family members, rivals, enemies, and comrades.

Seems CDPR realized this too; the early demos of the first Witcher had you creating your own witcher with Geralt only appearing as an NPC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMmFiQp3Q_4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBWlnL6Tr6k

(no idea if these have been posted but they're worth a watch)

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Azazell0 posted:

I think someone said main quests are immune to the bug?

Definitely not, I'm not getting from main or sidequests. However, some people seem to only lose xp on one or the other.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

All right, good to know. I won't be doing those for the time being either to be safe.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Greenplastic posted:

Definitely not, I'm not getting from main or sidequests. However, some people seem to only lose xp on one or the other.

Not all quests give exp. It's usually every other part or so that gives a poo poo-ton.

I wish CDPR came out and described the "bug" in detail, because it just seems to be a stew of communal paranoia right now.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Harrow posted:

The world is always bleak in the Witcher, as far as I can tell. The best Geralt can do is make things better in a small area or for the people he cares about.

I'm listening to the Giant Bombcast where they talk about the world of the Witcher. They mention that its pretty much what the game of thrones world is but from the perspective of the peasants. Instead of fighting for the magical macguffin that saves the world you're really just traveling around seeing how "regular" people are dealing with all of the major poo poo Kings and Queens are doing, fixing their actual "real world" problems for a few gold.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Oh god I only just realised you can consume potions and food directly from your inventory during combat, and aren't limited to those in the quickslots. Same for switching bombs. I just assumed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Verranicus posted:

If you mean the White Frost, that isn't happening for thousands of years according to the books

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Scandalous posted:

Oh god I only just realised you can consume potions and food directly from your inventory during combat, and aren't limited to those in the quickslots. Same for switching bombs. I just assumed.

Nope, just oils that are limited to being used outside of combat.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
There's actually a book called "The White Frost" in game wherein a Mage describes the White Frost as a celestial phenomenon that occurs naturally, and not through some magic. He gives some universe coordinate for Mages to open a portal to see what he's talking about. He describes it as a thing that travels through the universe and freezes things, but a bit more elegantly than that.

I don't remember if he describes how this phenomenon moves about, but you could look at it as planets freezing over due to the expansion of the universe and everything getting colder as a result, which is how some scientists say our actual universe will ultimately end.

e. Here's the book:

Archimago fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 29, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Haha, one of the guys you fight in the Novigrad fisfights quest is Durden the Tailor.:allears:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Scandalous posted:

I've never been able to use food during combat.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

You know what I love about an Alchemy build? It gives me the opportunity to be good at everything all at once, especially thanks to that Synergy ability that gives +50% mutagen bonuses. That, and Delayed Recovery makes potions like Petri's Philter and Thunderbolt last for ages, so I can hit hard, my Signs work well, my Vitality is crazy high, and all I have to do is throw a sack of coins at every herbalist I see and meditate a little more often.

What your mutagen/skill loadout looking like?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This werewolf quest in Skellige is the most convoluted poo poo. How are you supposed to do this without a guide? Even with the help of the posts in this thread, it's been a pain in the rear end and I've still had to look up exactly what to do. I haven't felt that way with any of the other quests.

Woozy posted:

I don't find Geralt all that interesting. In fact all the characters you meet, he's easily the most boring. Even the no-names you run into for sidequests feel more interesting. So I feel like I wouldn't be losing anything by getting rid of Geralt and letting us make our own Witcher (and choose the voice. A better louder voice...). I'd also be okay with playing as Ciri, she's cool

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Pylons posted:

I've never been able to use food during combat.
Oh, no, you're right, can't use food, I was mistaken. Potions and changing bombs though. I had no damned idea.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Scandalous posted:

Oh, no, you're right, can't use food, I was mistaken. Potions and changing bombs though. I had no damned idea.

You can use food if it is on one of the 2 quickbar slots, but not from the inventory during combat

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Greenplastic posted:

Please update when you've done a contract or main quest, I'd love if someone found a weird fix for this.

I can go ahead and try one, but I just finished the gwent in Velen quest by beating Haddy, and still got EXP. I'll go try a contract now.

Honestly, I'm not sure that I ever had the EXP bug but hopefully this works for everyone else too.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

CVagts posted:

I can go ahead and try one, but I just finished the gwent in Velen quest by beating Haddy, and still got EXP. I'll go try a contract now.
I read on the CD Projekt forums that it may relate to when you picked the quest up. Quests that were already in your log prior to 1.04 will still award XP, but quests you pick up afterwards may not. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this myself, I forget when I picked up many of the quests I've completed since the patch was introduced and didn't take specific note of the XP rewards, besides the fact I was rarely receiving any.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Stuff like this is so weird to me as the setting thrives on a weird mashing up of a ton of different fantasy elements, but still has a bizarre streak of dry Science Explains Stuff behind it all. I enjoy anachronistic things in fantasy at times but books like this seem to push it a bit too hard, I think. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stormgale posted:

What your mutagen/skill loadout looking like?

Right now I'm level 14 and using:

- Cat School Techniques
- Muscle Memory
- Precise Blows
- Arrow Deflection (just don't have anything else to put there yet, will eventually swap it out for something else)
- Acquired Tolerance
- Refreshment
- Steady Aim

Eventually I plan to pick up:
- Synergy
- Efficiency
- Killing Spree
- Cluster Bombs
- Delusion (it's just too useful in quests)
- maybe a couple other Signs abilities to use with a blue mutagen

I've got one Green and one Red mutagen on right now. Can't wait for Synergy, given what hilarious things it can do for mutagen bonuses. I'll probably drop Steady Aim once I have more Alchemy skills to slot.

Really, the shining star is Acquired Tolerance. At rank 3, it gives you 1 extra point of max Toxicity for every alchemy formula you know. I happen to know close to 100, so I have a shitload of Toxicity. Coupled with the bonuses to potion duration, I can stack buffs like crazy.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So the only thing that actually really bothers me about this game is loading a save.

1) Just give me a goddamn quick load button. Come on.

2) Whenever I load a save manually, it's super annoying to skip the extra narration after the load is ready, because you don't know when that is. The issue is that while you can press space a few times to skip the rest of narration, that only works after it has finished loading, and it doesn't have a progress bar so you can't know when it's done. For me a load might take anywhere between 2 and 10 seconds. Due to this, I end up mashing my space bar between 40 and 160 times (yes, I counted) every single time I load, while cursing at the monitor. Come on.

3) Loading a game is even more annoying when you die. I want to be able to either press the quick load button instantly, or select the "load last save" option instantly. Instead I need to either navigate the menus and then see point 2), or I have to wait through 78 seconds of fade to black, then BOOM YOU'RE DEAD HA HA YOU LOSER, then I can finally press enter. And to rub it in, that loading screen then has a proper progress bar and also doesn't have narrative to skip. See, it's clearly possible to make a non-lovely loading screen - so why not just do that and then add a quick load button and bam. Come on.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Macaluso posted:

This werewolf quest in Skellige is the most convoluted poo poo. How are you supposed to do this without a guide? Even with the help of the posts in this thread, it's been a pain in the rear end and I've still had to look up exactly what to do. I haven't felt that way with any of the other quests.

I don't find Geralt all that interesting. In fact all the characters you meet, he's easily the most boring. Even the no-names you run into for sidequests feel more interesting. So I feel like I wouldn't be losing anything by getting rid of Geralt and letting us make our own Witcher (and choose the voice. A better louder voice...). I'd also be okay with playing as Ciri, she's cool

One of the solutions is pretty obvious and results from following the quest directions. If you actually pay attention when the game tells you to find the key, and then go ask the witness why he lied, you get the solution without much fuss. The secondary solution, though, where you feed him his own meat, is pretty unintuitive. The curse solution is hinted at when Geralt offers him the meat of his own free will, and when he drops werewolf meat the first time, but actually putting it together requires guessing, and the fact that he tried eating his own meat really throws you off. Most people I know who got that solution did so by trial and error.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

Right now I'm level 14 and using:

What difficulty are you playing on? This build looks like a ton of fun.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nope, just oils that are limited to being used outside of combat.

No, you can absolutely use oils in combat. I've done it mid-swing before.

Stormgale posted:

You can use food if it is on one of the 2 quickbar slots, but not from the inventory during combat

The restrictions on this stuff are really inconsistent and probably bugged, to be honest. Though if it is a bug, it's weird that we've had two/three patches at this point and none of them have gone anywhere near it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

jaete posted:

So the only thing that actually really bothers me about this game is loading a save.

1) Just give me a goddamn quick load button. Come on.

This annoys me too.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Scandalous posted:

I read on the CD Projekt forums that it may relate to when you picked the quest up. Quests that were already in your log prior to 1.04 will still award XP, but quests you pick up afterwards may not. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this myself, I forget when I picked up many of the quests I've completed since the patch was introduced and didn't take specific note of the XP rewards, besides the fact I was rarely receiving any.

That might be it. These are mostly all old quests that I've been doing.

I just did a contract quest and got EXP, but I'm pretty sure I've had this quest since before 1.04.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think Create-A-Witcher can work if they put you in a position where your created Witcher has a tightly-defined backstory, like the Commander Shepard background stuff in Mass Effect 1 cranked up to eleven. So you'd pick your school and nickname and origin country and what have you, and these things would all shape the character's personality, background, and whatnot. And people would just call your character by their nickname, in the same way people tend to call Geralt "the White Wolf" or "the Butcher of Blaviken."

To use a random example if your Witcher were from Temeria then some of the NPCs or events from Witcher 1-3 might be people they knew or at least had met in the past. Or if your Witcher's nickname was related to some event that happened in Kovir then an NPC from Kovir might recognize you and react differently. I'd say this would be a nightmare of conditions to create and balance but I think CDPR's writing and quest design is strong enough to pull it off, and a lot of the player Witcher's backstory could be predefined and common to all origins such that it's referenced.

I don't think it would be that confusing to have a character who clearly references events they saw but the player did not, since there's plenty of people who have gotten into Witcher at 2 or 3 and not had a problem or people who haven't touched the books at all. I haven't read the books at all and I learned enough about who Ciri is from the game to understand her plotline. Basically as long as they create a well-defined character with enough dialogue choices to allow the player to play as them I don't think people will mind it too much, even if they just make up a new character on the spot with a unique appearance and backstory.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

Archimago posted:

There's actually a book called "The White Frost" in game wherein a Mage describes the White Frost as a celestial phenomenon that occurs naturally, and not through some magic. He gives some universe coordinate for Mages to open a portal to see what he's talking about. He describes it as a thing that travels through the universe and freezes things, but a bit more elegantly than that.

I don't remember if he describes how this phenomenon moves about, but you could look at it as planets freezing over due to the expansion of the universe and everything getting colder as a result, which is how some scientists say our actual universe will ultimately end.

I love how lots of the books written by mages look at magic and the natural world from a scientific perspective - I can't remember the book but I remember reading one that was talking about how dragons and cats can use the Power. I was really impressed when the author mentions that by the laws of physics and nature, dragons shouldn't be able to fly with such meagre wings but then posits that they achieve flight by use of the Power. There's so many neat little explanations to things - very rarely in this universe does something magical happen because magic; there's always some in-universe explanation or mechanics.

All the "anachronistic" and dry science stuff used to bring me out of the games and be very off-putting to me. I remember thinking it was very strange in the first two games that people in a medieval fantasy had comprehension of topics such as mutation and evolution but by the third game I've come to accept it as a charming aspect of the world - despite the peasant misery simulator that is Velen this world's setting is much less high middle ages and much more pushing towards a renaissance type era - despite backwards political and social systems, mages have been making discoveries in science on par with that of our modern world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

What difficulty are you playing on? This build looks like a ton of fun.

Blood and Broken Bones. I might even turn it up to Death March because I'm killing things too easily and I'm already really durable. When I start unlocking the Alchemy abilities that boost my max Vitality for a whole lot of other reasons, I'll be even harder to actually kill. Let's not even bring up things like Ekhidna Decoction (restore Vitality every time you spend Stamina--yes, every time) mixed with Archgriffin Decoction (spend all your Stamina every time you do a heavy attack and deal 10% of the enemy's max health on top of your normal damage).

Robutt posted:

I love how lots of the books written by mages look at magic and the natural world from a scientific perspective - I can't remember the book but I remember reading one that was talking about how dragons and cats can use the Power. I was really impressed when the author mentions that by the laws of physics and nature, dragons shouldn't be able to fly with such meagre wings but then posits that they achieve flight by use of the Power. There's so many neat little explanations to things - very rarely in this universe does something magical happen because magic; there's always some in-universe explanation or mechanics.

All the "anachronistic" and dry science stuff used to bring me out of the games and be very off-putting to me. I remember thinking it was very strange in the first two games that people in a medieval fantasy had comprehension of topics such as mutation and evolution but by the third game I've come to accept it as a charming aspect of the world - despite the peasant misery simulator that is Velen this world's setting is much less high middle ages and much more pushing towards a renaissance type era - despite backwards political and social systems, mages have been making discoveries in science on par with that of our modern world.

I really love fantasy settings that treat magic as a science. After all, why wouldn't mages be able to use magic to learn things about the natural world that are beyond current mundane technology? It's kind of a cool flavor of fantasy setting, I think.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 29, 2015