Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Series DD Funding posted:

Pretty sure a house gives a stream of cash flows in the form of imputed rent.

Yeah, I was under the impression that a paid-off house could be a very useful thing to have when you retire.

That is, at least so long as it's not some giant McMansion where heating and cooling cost almost as much as the mortgage, or in a neighborhood with high property taxes or an expensive HOA. Being able to perform at least minor repairs yourself would also help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Your home is a liability not an asset or investment. Treating it any other way is bwm.

Pretty sure your home is an asset for which you have incurred a liability.

Or something like that. I don't know, I cheated my way through accounting like 11 years ago.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Your home is an asset, the loan is a liability.

I took Financial Accounting at school one summer when was basically poo poo faced 100% of the time so this could definitely be wrong.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

High Lord Elbow posted:

Not squatting in an abandoned foreclosure is bad with money.

Doing this and stealing a neighbor's wifi is excellent with money

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

May seemed to be a strong month, what with the increasing the overall household debt by about 1k. :wtc:

edit: Nice, car shopping on payment as well and a 7% car loan on what I assume is a new vehicle.

They also spend $120/mo on "Convenience Store (getting something to drink while driving somewhere/candy/etc)"

I think the last time I bought something from a gas station store was back in 2011 when my windshield wiper stopped working during a long road trip and I needed some clean water to wash something off the windshield. Even that made me feel a little bad.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

enraged_camel posted:

They also spend $120/mo on "Convenience Store (getting something to drink while driving somewhere/candy/etc)"

I think the last time I bought something from a gas station store was back in 2011 when my windshield wiper stopped working during a long road trip and I needed some clean water to wash something off the windshield. Even that made me feel a little bad.

Hah dude - you realize how crazy you sound saying that?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

n8r posted:

Hah dude - you realize how crazy you sound saying that?

I'm not particularly frugal, I just hate spending money at convenience stores since poo poo is marked up so much.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It depends, I can get 2 monster energy drinks for 3 bucks (everyday price) at my local shell station which is cheaper most grocery stores everyday price.

You should have gone to a gas station with a window wash squeegee, think of the money you could have saved!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Why are people being so cordial to the OP in that Reddit thread? Every other thread I see with those types of numbers is full of people falling over themselves to tell the OP how stupid and pathetic they are.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

Why are people being so cordial to the OP in that Reddit thread? Every other thread I see with those types of numbers is full of people falling over themselves to tell the OP how stupid and pathetic they are.

I was surprised by that too, but my guess is that her medical condition and subsequent surgery garner her some sympathy.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Here's a fact that illustrates why so many Americans feel the economic recovery has yet to kick in: Almost half can't pony up $400 to cover an emergency expense.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-financial-fragility-of-the-american-household/

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

quote:

About 27 percent of those households said their spending exceeded income,

Why reddit will never run out of stories.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

TLG James posted:

Why reddit will never run out of stories.

It's also an economic disaster. If 47% of households can't muster up $400 for an expense and 27% of the under $40k year households are spending more than they earn where is a recovery going to come from? The low income households will have less to spend in the future and the rest are kind of hosed. The recovery won't come from households in the top 50% as they have money to spend but are unlikely to spend it. I suspect until a lot of the households have finished heavily paying down debts nothing is going to change.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/37m6dj/i_am_16_years_old_i_have_15_credit_cards_in_my/

quote:

I am 16 years old, I have 15 credit cards in my name and 22k debt, 650 credit score and identity stolen by my grandfather

Not much more to say, except for that I live in Alabama, and I'm a high school drop-out. What are the best options for me, and how do I get out of this?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sometimes :suicide: is the answer.

Devian666 posted:

It's also an economic disaster. If 47% of households can't muster up $400 for an expense and 27% of the under $40k year households are spending more than they earn where is a recovery going to come from? The low income households will have less to spend in the future and the rest are kind of hosed. The recovery won't come from households in the top 50% as they have money to spend but are unlikely to spend it. I suspect until a lot of the households have finished heavily paying down debts nothing is going to change.

Couple our staggering financial illiteracy with myriad vectors of predatory lending and it's pretty easy to see why.

Everyone is up to their tits in monthly payments with no understanding of compound interest or budgeting. It's basically a national disaster, but banks are too profitable to dial it down--they have shareholders to satisfy!

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

High Lord Elbow posted:

Not squatting in an abandoned foreclosure is bad with money.

Live in your slowcooker, slow cook own urine and feces for sustenance, closed loop system, good with money

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Devian666 posted:

Stephen Keen, an Australian economist, did a talk about this subject. His argument was that it wasn't the government debt that was the main problem, instead the private debts (student loans, mortgages, credit cards, etc) were. He put forward a solution that was basically "give everyone a large sum of money (his suggestion was something like $50,000) and mandate that they put it towards their debts". That way people who were in debt would be less indebted, people who would normally cry that it was a moral hazard were given the large sum of money free and clear, and ultimately the economy would be better off because it would end with increased spending in the economy since less money was required to service debt.

Obviously this wouldn't happen in a million years because it would be extremely unpopular with most of the lobby groups and people have this weird thing about the government providing something for nothing, even when it would ultimately benefit everyone.

Fun fact, the Australian government did this on a smaller scale during the GFC. Almost everyone in Australia got a one-time payment of $900 to spend on whatever they liked, the idea being it would stimulate the economy. While I personally didn't qualify for "Rudd bucks", from what I saw it worked - sure, a few of my friends saved it, but lots went out and bought new laptops or kitchen appliances.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
We did that in the USA with a $300-600 tax credit during Bush's presidency. Didn't do poo poo here because most people blew it on a new phone or other stupid nonsense. It was also right after the crash in 2008 so yeah.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

froglet posted:

Stephen Keen, an Australian economist, did a talk about this subject. His argument was that it wasn't the government debt that was the main problem, instead the private debts (student loans, mortgages, credit cards, etc) were. He put forward a solution that was basically "give everyone a large sum of money (his suggestion was something like $50,000) and mandate that they put it towards their debts". That way people who were in debt would be less indebted, people who would normally cry that it was a moral hazard were given the large sum of money free and clear, and ultimately the economy would be better off because it would end with increased spending in the economy since less money was required to service debt.

And what would stop everyone from just leveraging up again after their handout money is gone?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

nickutz posted:

And what would stop everyone from just leveraging up again after their handout money is gone?

In theory it wouldn't happen again because the banks would be prohibited from loaning out more money than the borrower could be reasonably expected to pay back. Also a lot of the big debts people would be forced to pay off are things like education debt, which I don't see too many running up again once it's paid off.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You must not read the bad with money thread very often

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Worth noting that the kid himself isn't bad with money. He's saying that his grandfather used his identity to get him into so much debt.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I have a feeling this kid will wind up psyching himself out of following all that advice, because 1)he's scared of following through (what 16-year-old wouldn't be?) and 2)family pressure is a motherfucker.

Reddit posted:

Have a kid, then when that kid has a kid, get a bunch of credit cards in his name and pay off your own debt.

This is what he'll do. The Circle of Life.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

enraged_camel posted:

Worth noting that the kid himself isn't bad with money. He's saying that his grandfather used his identity to get him into so much debt.
Definitely. It's the grandfather who is bad with money / likes fraud.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Blinkman987 posted:

I've noticed a trend there that whenever there are any mitigating circumstances they get super wish washy. Like "I would do [thing], but that's ultimately up to you." Yeah, no poo poo. It's becoming /relationships where every "my girlfriend cheated with 4 guys" post has the top comment of "you just need to decide if your okay with that or not."

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Update on this kid..

quote:

I really do realize that even though I have debt, that has collected a lot over time, he is still making payments, my credit score is better than some people's, I feel like I'm in too deep to just let it go, and let it stay. What if he does make the payments, what if he is trying to do me a good thing? What do I do?

He's now trying to rationalize the debt as his and the actions of his grandfather. I know he's 16 and all but goddamn :psyduck:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Guest2553 posted:

Update on this kid..

He's now trying to rationalize the debt as his and the actions of his grandfather. I know he's 16 and all but goddamn :psyduck:

Poor kid doesn't understand that he's just making payments so the cards don't get cut off. Until he realises that his grandfather is a huge rear end in a top hat he won't get anywhere with this.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Oh nooooooo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Oh nooooooo.

pssht, that's so unrealistic. Nobody in real life is dumb enough to do that.

Now if you don't mind, my beanie baby investment should be maturing right about now.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Guest2553 posted:

Update on this kid..

Wait, what? This is what I saw:

quote:

EDIT: Thanks for all the helpful replies, definitely going to do most of what is said here. As soon as I get home I will get back into school, see if I can get a car, start calling the credit bureaus and make a police report when the time is right. Thanks for all the helpful replies, you guys have dismissed most of my worries about things like being cut off, I'll still look at and reply to newer replies through out the day.
Not much more to say, except for that I live in Alabama, and I'm a high school drop-out. What are the best options for me, and how do I get out of this?

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yes, make a police report when you're ready. That will end well, especially with when you became aware of the fraud being documented online.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM
Paying 293 a week for a 52 month lease on a Toyota Avalon which terms dictate it can only be used to drive for uber.
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/5/27/uber-promotes-subprime-auto-loans-to-increase-driver-pool.html

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

mysteryberto posted:

Paying 293 a week for a 52 month lease on a Toyota Avalon which terms dictate it can only be used to drive for uber.
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/5/27/uber-promotes-subprime-auto-loans-to-increase-driver-pool.html

This is the worst I've ever seen, except for maybe the guy in the same article who is paying $450/week for a Chrysler minivan.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The guy with the minivan blames Uber for not being quick enough setting up automatic payments. Did he think he didn't have to pay anything until Uber set up the automatic deduction?

Also why wouldn't you just get the cheapest car available? Most Uber riders are fine getting picked up in a Hyundai or a Kia.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

The guy with the minivan blames Uber for not being quick enough setting up automatic payments. Did he think he didn't have to pay anything until Uber set up the automatic deduction?

Also why wouldn't you just get the cheapest car available? Most Uber riders are fine getting picked up in a Hyundai or a Kia.

The long run steady state is going to be crazy low $/mile vehicles and sticking to surge pricing mostly. Which is a) what Uber really wants anyway and b) generally what society says they want, with less cars on the road in slow hours, more during rush hour, and those cars being energy efficient.

Right now it's clearly oversaturated, but there's opportunity for some guy with blow off money to buy a fleet of cars and hire a bunch of city dwelling college kids to drive them during rush hour only. No one who could do that would need uber to make money though and the only people I know who could would be cab owners I know who do that exact thing already.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

MJBuddy posted:

The long run steady state is going to be crazy low $/mile vehicles and sticking to surge pricing mostly. Which is a) what Uber really wants anyway and b) generally what society says they want, with less cars on the road in slow hours, more during rush hour, and those cars being energy efficient.

Right now it's clearly oversaturated, but there's opportunity for some guy with blow off money to buy a fleet of cars and hire a bunch of city dwelling college kids to drive them during rush hour only. No one who could do that would need uber to make money though and the only people I know who could would be cab owners I know who do that exact thing already.

So are you saying that Uber can't carve out its own niche by almost exactly copying something that's been around since the dawn of time?

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

When I was in San Fran a while back, I got an uber driver that was driving a volt.

He was leasing it at some really cheap rate because of all the rebates (~$150/mo?) and charged it at free charging stations in the city when things were slow. It seemed like a pretty clever way of doing it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Renegret posted:

pssht, that's so unrealistic. Nobody in real life is dumb enough to do that.

Now if you don't mind, my beanie baby investment should be maturing right about now.

In the next panel the dad reveals he's dropped about 3m yen into the scam and lost another 3m gambling. :sigh:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zauper posted:

When I was in San Fran a while back, I got an uber driver that was driving a volt.

He was leasing it at some really cheap rate because of all the rebates (~$150/mo?) and charged it at free charging stations in the city when things were slow. It seemed like a pretty clever way of doing it.

Ah yes, nothing like passing your private business expenses to the city, which is probably swimming in more money than they know what to do with!

Good with money for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Ah yes, nothing like passing your private business expenses to the city, which is probably swimming in more money than they know what to do with!

Good with money for sure.

I agree that it's taking advantage, but did the city really not consider that some people might do exactly this?

• Locked thread