Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of low PCI bandwidth... Would it be technically possible to buy a NUC like the one here that has both a SATA and a M.2 PCI slot:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102097

Use the SATA port for the hard drive, then buy an M.2 to PCI x4 adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-4X-Female-to-NGFF-M-2-M-Key-Male-Adapter-Converter-Card-w-Power-Cable-/181596647270

and a x4 to x16 riser:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Express-4X-Male-to-PCI-E-16X-Female-Riser-Cable-/261439112006

and plug a graphics card into that? Assuming I could get a PSU to power the graphics card?

Why would you want to do that as opposed to buying a miniITX PC with a riser built in, like a Silverstone RZV01 or an Asrock M8?

I don't know for sure but my but tells me there's no way in hell that is going to work. Even assuming that doesn't cause a fuckload of bus noise, I don't even know if the graphics drivers would be looking for the GPU on the mPCI-E bus. It does work over Thunderbolt since that is a highly shielded PCI-E channel directly broken out through a CPU tie-in, so you can get GPU enclosures for your Mac laptop.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does anyone have experience with the asrock m8? I took a quick look at it and it looks pretty tacky but is it any good?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Probably not the best thread to ask about, but I found the airflow to be abysmal and terrible. 60mm fans + opposing airflow, plus some really stupid mistakes that show that it really was designed by BMW, and not someone who actually has experience in building cases.

If you want a low-profile ITX case, go with an RVZ 01 or ML07. Or the RVZ02, if it's out, I lost track of it after they showed it at CES back in January.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 29, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Does anyone have experience with the asrock m8? I took a quick look at it and it looks pretty tacky but is it any good?

Yeah, mine just arrived today, kinda considering returning it and getting a RVZ01 or Bitfenix Prodigy M instead. I actually like the case design, kinda reminds me of the original Xbox. I just think the cooling arrangement is too limiting. There's ways to make it work, but I think I'd play a lot less games to get those other cases to work.

Basically at a minimum you need to flip all the case fans to either intake or exhaust, with the choice depending (I guess) on whether you have a reference/blower GPU or an aftermarket-cooler GPU (and likely whether you prefer your case staying dust-free or turning into a hairball). Doing so will improve thermal performance by a fuckton - like 20C or more. The way the fans are set by default, the exhaust fan pulls the air that was just taken in, while the air inside stays static.

Ideally you would then mount a low-profile cooler like the Zalman CNPS8900 or something. If you want to go balls out you can mod in a double-80mm radiator in place of the 72mm fans, but that's a lot of effort when the RVZ01 and the Prodigy M will both fit 1x120mm+1x240mm AIO coolers out of the box.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 29, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Give me another holler when you know how much my 95% Titan X is going to cost. That and an XB270HU...

Can't wait for Computex this year. :circlefap:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 29, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
As for people who were curious about how Skylake would perform, since it kind of goes hand-in-hand with large scale upgrades: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/flagship-intel-skylake-s-core-i7-6700k-cpu-benchmarked.html

Looks like this 2500K gets to soldier on longer.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Someone should do an artisanal line of motherboards with bolted on modern features for the z68/z77 chipset. For a time when cpus were authentic and there was performance for the dollar.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You mean like how AMD does with 990FX? :v:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

incoherent posted:

Someone should do an artisanal line of motherboards with bolted on modern features for the z68/z77 chipset. For a time when cpus were authentic and there was performance for the dollar.

I could see a market for upgraded z77 boards, yeah.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

HalloKitty posted:

I could see a market for upgraded z77 boards, yeah.

I'd buy one.

Just installed the 15.5 beta drivers for The Witcher 3, the site advertises up to 10% increase in performance on R9 series cards but I can't tell the difference at all. Still fluctuates between 50-60fps on my R9 290.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 29, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Fiji's rumored to be branded as "Fury".

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/Rumor-AMD-Name-Upcoming-Flagship-Fiji-GPU-Radeon-Fury

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=12G-P4-1999-KR

Limit 4 per household

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

trust me, someone will order 500 and export.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Both the Titan X Hybrid and the Kit are sold out already. Wow. Ohh wait, kit back in stock.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What general market value would an original GTX TITAN be worth at this point? My coworker is considering selling his pair of them, and based on eBay thinks that he can get more than $500 for each. Is that a good guess?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

What general market value would an original GTX TITAN be worth at this point? My coworker is considering selling his pair of them, and based on eBay thinks that he can get more than $500 for each. Is that a good guess?

$400-$600 would be a fair guess.

Will be nice if next year i can add a second titan X for only $500 since 12gb vram certainly shouldn't be a limit by then.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Has anyone tried to unlock Arkham Knight in Steam yet? It keeps kicking my code back...is that because the game hasn't been released yet?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

$400-$600 would be a fair guess.

Will be nice if next year i can add a second titan X for only $500 since 12gb vram certainly shouldn't be a limit by then.

That's what I'm looking to do. I tried cranking up all the fun stuff in GTA5 and at max settings I got like 15 fps :( But then again that's at 7880x1440. Also, am I just broken, or is GTA5 not really all that great ?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

While the original Titan is quite pricey, that is an alarmingly low premium for adding watercooling to the thing. $99 markup for an integrated copper base CLC with bracket seems downright charitable. Graphics cards with an OEM custom waterblock usually add like $200+ to the MSRP.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Panty Saluter posted:

Has anyone tried to unlock Arkham Knight in Steam yet? It keeps kicking my code back...is that because the game hasn't been released yet?

You probably got a used code. If you got it from Amazon, just hit up their customer support and they will get you a new one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zero VGS posted:

While the original Titan is quite pricey, that is an alarmingly low premium for adding watercooling to the thing. $99 markup for an integrated copper base CLC with bracket seems downright charitable. Graphics cards with an OEM custom waterblock usually add like $200+ to the MSRP.

While I realize that you can get it direct from NVIDIA for MSRP, it's even better when you consider that everyone else is marking the reference card up to $1070-1125 as well. They're pretty much giving the CLC upgrade away for free/at cost.

I was surprised to hear about that since the Titan X was reference-only. I hope we see a 980ti Hydro right at launch too. I guess in theory you could just buy the cooler since it's the same card except for fewer memory modules, right?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 29, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Picked up the Titan X cooler kit, we'll see what it's like!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Etrips posted:

You probably got a used code. If you got it from Amazon, just hit up their customer support and they will get you a new one.

You have to go to the Nvidia website listed on the voucher, enter the first code and some personal info, and it turns that into a new code you redeem on Steam.

At least that's how every game redemption has worked so far. I've sold a lot of codes and occasionally people start yelling that I sent them a bad code until I explain that part.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

The Superclock EVGA is the exact same price but has the ref cooler and a lower factory boost clock so yea, its a hell of a deal.

Paul MaudDib posted:

While I realize that you can get it direct from NVIDIA for MSRP, it's even better when you consider that everyone else is marking the reference card up to $1070-1125 as well. They're pretty much giving the CLC upgrade away for free/at cost.

I was surprised to hear about that since the Titan X was reference-only. I hope we see a 980ti Hydro right at launch too. I guess in theory you could just buy the cooler since it's the same card except for fewer memory modules, right?

I think only the titan pcb is reference only as there is atleast one more custom cooler coming stock on them from PNY or some poo poo.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Zero VGS posted:

You have to go to the Nvidia website listed on the voucher, enter the first code and some personal info, and it turns that into a new code you redeem on Steam.

At least that's how every game redemption has worked so far. I've sold a lot of codes and occasionally people start yelling that I sent them a bad code until I explain that part.

I figured since he's posting in the GPU thread he had gotten the code from the bundle, which has instructions to go to the site you mentioned.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Zero VGS posted:

Oh....that seems...a little needlessly complicated but OK. Danke :tipshat:

e: yep, worked just peachy

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 29, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

veedubfreak posted:

That's what I'm looking to do. I tried cranking up all the fun stuff in GTA5 and at max settings I got like 15 fps :( But then again that's at 7880x1440. Also, am I just broken, or is GTA5 not really all that great ?

GTAV is generally assumed to be fairly well optimised, as long as you don't do the qq thing that PC gamers do: crank every setting up on any hardware and complain about poor optimisation

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"I should be able to max everything on a 970. Developers should tune their game so whatever runs on a 970 is max" -something a real life person has said.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
You can get pretty close at 1080 on a 970 so it's not SO unreasonable :v:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

My Titan X AIO cooler shipped and i immediately regretted getting ground shipping.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I still can't get over people spending $1000 for a god drat graphics card.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Panty Saluter posted:

You can get pretty close at 1080 on a 970 so it's not SO unreasonable :v:

The fact that most games can run maxed on a 970 is different from some idiot demanding that games be tuned to run at max settings on a 970.

To me the idea of tuning for anything at max settings is counter to the concept of maximum. Max should always just be all the graphical goodies turned on + the highest detail textures/models/etc. that fit on the disc or within the target download size. Whatever it runs on it runs on, if the game designers are crazy and did all the models with a billion polygons and the textures at megapixel sizes it could make a quad Titan X system cry and I'd still think it's OK because no one should ever have the expectation that they can just max everything forever and it'll be fine.

As long as the minimum requirements deliver a playable experience (720p30 at low would be my definition) and recommended delivers a good experience (1080p60 with detail resembling the advertisements) anyone who whines that they can't absolutely crank it is just being silly.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Internet Explorer posted:

I still can't get over people spending $1000 for a god drat graphics card.

It's nice to have money to burn, ain't it? It's silly but honestly...I'd be one of those people if I had that kind of spare cash laying around. I think buying two 970s within six months still qualifies as a little nutty.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

wolrah posted:

The fact that most games can run maxed on a 970 is different from some idiot demanding that games be tuned to run at max settings on a 970.

To me the idea of tuning for anything at max settings is counter to the concept of maximum. Max should always just be all the graphical goodies turned on + the highest detail textures/models/etc. that fit on the disc or within the target download size. Whatever it runs on it runs on, if the game designers are crazy and did all the models with a billion polygons and the textures at megapixel sizes it could make a quad Titan X system cry and I'd still think it's fine because no one should ever have the expectation that they can just max everything forever and it'll be fine.

Oh for sure - in fact I kind of enjoy when a Witcher 2 or Crysis comes along and leaves something on the table for a generation or two of subsequent hardware. Dealing with people who don't understand how this stuff works is kind of maddening, but just remember they're the ones setting themselves up for disappointment and ultimately cutting their own throat.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
its no t any worse than buying a car thats like $5000 more than you really need imo

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Directly from evga.com

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

With the release of the ti boards, are they going to do something to the Titan X as well?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Do we think that the 980 Ti will be immediately available to order on 6/2? My body is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

slidebite posted:

With the release of the ti boards, are they going to do something to the Titan X as well?

What do you mean?

The Titan X is available in a hydro copper, a Hybrid, and another company has a water block model coming out.

Subjunctive posted:

Do we think that the 980 Ti will be immediately available to order on 6/2? My body is ready.

I bet it will be, too many skus and box art i think for a soft launch.