Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joke_explainer

om nom nom posted:

And you can press the water out of tofu by putting it between 2 pans and weigh it down with cans or something and leaving it in the fridge over night

Yeah this is highly recommended as well. Anything to get the water out of the tofu, which you'll then replace with your tofu marinade or whatever you want to call it

morning wood posted:

hey BP have you ever done a cooking thread on low effort bachelor/bachelorette style cooking? the stuff itt looks tasty but is a whole lot of effort and food for one person. if you have recipes that involve throwing some random poo poo into a crockpot and coming home to a culinary delight that would be right up my alley.

my scramble post was pretty low effort... here's a slow cooker recipe from a while back http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656838&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post433750178

everyone should browse this whole thread periodically, there's some amazing stuff, and, uh, also alnilam's seitan post. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

alnilam has been super nice to me and I'm sorry if that came off as harsh. It just isn't a food that LOOKS good. maybe I'll try to make a seitan dish. idk. Bo-Pepper, Om-Nom-Nom, what are you guys cooking these days?

alnilam

haha seitan is really good but it looks gross and weird, esp while being made, there's no getting around that

in response to morning wood:

"bachelor" meals is a term i don't like because it implies that a man living alone most likely lives in filth and eats nothing but pizza and ramen because there's no woman to cook for him, but okay i get what you mean (what's wrong with being a social justice warrior)

good easy meals for a novice cook, let's go with that

The key to beginning cooking is DON'T BE NERVOUS. So many people get hung up on oh jeez i let the pasta cook for more than the 9 minutes it says on the package oh man i don't have a 1/8 teaspoon how am I going to add the 1/8 teaspoon it says in the recipe oh poo poo the recipe says "sautee vegetables until tender" how tender is tender ahhh
just do it and it will turn out tasty. your intuition will tell you if you hosed something up so badly that it's inedible, but that's very unlikely.
(It's for this reason that i used to disdain recipes/cookbooks because they make it seem like things are more exact than they have to be (there are exceptions, like baking), but I've come to respect recipes as a starting point to give you the gist of how to cook a particular type of thing.)

here is one of my old standy quick, simple, easy meals that I feel like got me started in cooking, it was one of the meals that was so easy that when i first lived away from home in a place with a kitchen I just basically improvised them with no experience and they were delicious, and they were a good gateway meal to cooking cooler / more interesting things

GOOD EASY MEAL FOR A NOVICE COOK: PASTA MARINARA
THings you'll need:
spaghetti, linguine, whatevr you like, it doesn't matter at this stage
a jar of pre-made pasta sauce, OR a can of crushed tomatoes (slightly more advanced)
your fav veggies - peppers, onions, and broccoli are 3 of my faves for pasta marinara. leafy greens are nice too, if you use those add them right in the last minute or two of the veggie sauteeing portion

optional - get yourself a jar of pre-minced garlic in oil or brine (fresh garlic is better but this is a good substitute for a beginner)

cut up veggies to bite-sized pieces, if you don't already know this you want to discard the onion skin and the pepper's inner white parts and seeds
also if you buy a whole broccoli few people know this but you CAN eat the stem and it's good, it's just a little tough... up to you. it helps if you peel its skin a little and then chop into discs

IN A PAN OR SMALL POT
put some olive oil in a pan on medium heat, and put the onion and a big ol forkful of minced garlic in there, move them around in there for like 5 minutes, then add the pepper (and brocco stems if you ahve them), stir a few more minutes, add the brocco, stir a few more minutes
Is there room in the pan for the sauce? good, pour it in and reduce to a simmer, stir occasionally until the sauce is hot (if not, transfer veggies and sauce to a small pot and proceed). Adding basil and oregano is a good idea here too, even if the sauce is pre-basil'd.
if you're using a can of crushed tomatoes instead of sauce, add a little salt and a litle sugar, and somce spices - basil, oregano, even sage are good ideas. Definitely garlic powder if you didn't use wet garlic. See if it tastes good to you, if not, add a little more of whatever.
Maybe add some cayenne or crushed red pepper if you like spicy?
ADVANCED MOVE: add like a cup of red wine to the sauce, this will make it more watery so let it simmer uncovered for a while (15 minutes? idk) until enough water has evaporated that the texture seems nice again

MEANWHILE IN A BIGGER POT
cook pasta according to directions. Probably get the water boiling around when you're satueeing the veg, then start cooking the pasta once you add the sauce.
drain the pasta
toss the drained pasta in a little olive oil... if you don't have your timing down on this, the olive oil will help it not stick together as you finish the other things. If you do have the timing down, a little extra olive oil is tasty anyway :yum:

combine all things, add parmesan cheese to taste, eat it and save some for lunch tomorrow

there was a time where i'd cook a whole mess of ground beef first and then do everything else exactly as I wrote here except add the ground beef to the veg at the same time as the sauce, but it's been many years so if you wanna do that just look up how to brown and drain ground beef i guess
veg alternative: textured vegetable protein is a cheap weird soy byproduct that has a texture like ground beef, you just reconstitute it in water or veggie broth, drain it, and add it to the sauce, it's really good this way

alnilam fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 29, 2015

ty manifisto

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Twitter Warpath posted:

When I was in a commercial kitchen, I did the weight-on-pan thing in the fridge overnight, but at home I just do it on the counter for an hour or so and leave it tilted for the water/soy-juice to drain off and I don't think the difference is too significant. I always end up with little paper towel bits on my tofu if I use that method, but that's probably because I buy weird paper towels and am dumb.

Do you have a couple of baking sheets? I think you'd have better luck using those direcly on the tofu rather than paper towels.

morning wood posted:

hey BP have you ever done a cooking thread on low effort bachelor/bachelorette style cooking? the stuff itt looks tasty but is a whole lot of effort and food for one person. if you have recipes that involve throwing some random poo poo into a crockpot and coming home to a culinary delight that would be right up my alley.

I would post a lot in this thread. I also feel weird about posting stuff in here because most of what I do comes from recipes, because I'm not good at making up recipes yet. Tonight I made some bomb rear end chicken with apples in a brown sugar and mustard sauce and I wish I'd made double batches because it was so good.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 29, 2015

joke_explainer

meteloides posted:

I would post a lot in this thread. I also feel weird about posting stuff in here because most of what I do comes from recipes, because I'm not good at making up recipes yet. Tonight I made some bomb rear end chicken with apples in a brown sugar and mustard sauce and I wish I'd made double batches because it was so good.

Met please post your food! No one cares if it comes from recipes. Most of the stuff where no one used a recipe it wasn't to show off but just because they're lazy. There is nothing wrong with using recipe, I use them all the time. Sounds amazing on the chicken. Did you take any photos :)

poverty goat

i made a big pot of she crab soup today. it's delicious so you taste it and think "wow this must be made from only the highest grade of crabs" but in reality it's just a single can of claw meat suspended in roux and heavy cream with some crab base and spices. otoh if you eat it for lunch you can eat whatever you want for dessert because it can't possibly be worse for you than the soup

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

joke_explainer posted:

Met please post your food! No one cares if it comes from recipes. Most of the stuff where no one used a recipe it wasn't to show off but just because they're lazy. There is nothing wrong with using recipe, I use them all the time. Sounds amazing on the chicken. Did you take any photos :)

I didn't this time, but now that I know it's ok, I'll start doing so :glomp: thank you!

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

meteloides posted:

I didn't this time, but now that I know it's ok, I'll start doing so :glomp: thank you!

Yea post your good regardless, landy us3d a good network recipe for his farro. If I wanted rules I'd post in gws. Feel free to post your source, too, so others can try the recipe out.

I don't tend to follow recipes but I read every one I can. Inspiration is everywhere.

The last meal I cooked at home was pretty simple(no pics sry). The lady wanted to do some grilling and got the coals going while I was on the way home from yoga, so I:
Took some chicken breasts and marinated them in soy sauce, lime juice, garlic, and Frank's red hot. I didn't plan this so I just left it on the counter for an hour or so instead of a few hours in the fridge.

Got some water boiling for macaroni, cubed some butter (Plugra brand European-style butter) and got a cup,or so of chicken stock on super low, just to warm it up a bit, not to let it reduce at all.

Sliced a zucchini length wise to get 6 long strips. Tossed in olive oil (don't waste your evo but I like the taste better than canola or "vegetable" oil) salt black pepper and a little crushed red pepper.

Dropped the noodles in the water. Got the chicken on the grill. When the macaroni was just a bit under cooked and almost al cente, strained it off. Flip the chicken. Put the noodles with about half of the warm chicken stock on a low burner, stir. Put zucchini on the grill. Give it a few minutes, flip zucchini (it won't take long) and check the chicken. Pull the chicken when it's just about done, let it rest up to done if you want a perfectly moist piece of chicken.

Stir the cold butter into the pasta, adding chicken stock an ounce or so at a time of necessary (it will look dry even with all the butter in there if it needs stock). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pull zucchini.

Grilled chicken with buttered noodles and zucchini. I'm pretty sure my tenses were all over the board with that one. But this is byob I won't be proof reading.

om nom nom

meteloides posted:

Feel free to play with your food! Most cooking in my experience is not from a recipe but also not entirely invented. Try the mustard sauce again, but maybe add a splash of beer, or a little orange juice or zest.

That is, cooking off the top of your head is great, but there's also no need to reinvent the wheel. It's also an art, not a science. Take a recipe, and when you are comfortable, add an ingredient, or take one away. It's the first step towards making it your own.

Under seasoned? Season it more! Over seasoned? Pitch it and start over, or make a double batch instead! Put something new in and its edible, but not as good as the recipe? Don't do it next time! Add an ingredient and it's better? Write it down! Success!

joke_explainer

Keeping a bound notebook not far from your prep area is a great idea, and freaking essential especially for baking s you'll get some ducked up result and learn nothing unless you can check what the conditions where going into the process (ratio, temp of dough, length of rise, temp of water added are the essentials, # of folds for bread is good too)

alnilam

om nom nom posted:

Feel free to play with your food! Most cooking in my experience is not from a recipe but also not entirely invented. Try the mustard sauce again, but maybe add a splash of beer, or a little orange juice or zest.

That is, cooking off the top of your head is great, but there's also no need to reinvent the wheel. It's also an art, not a science. Take a recipe, and when you are comfortable, add an ingredient, or take one away. It's the first step towards making it your own.

Under seasoned? Season it more! Over seasoned? Pitch it and start over, or make a double batch instead! Put something new in and its edible, but not as good as the recipe? Don't do it next time! Add an ingredient and it's better? Write it down! Success!

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

om nom nom posted:

joke_explainer posted:

Keeping a bound notebook not far from your prep area is a great idea, and freaking essential especially for baking s you'll get some ducked up result and learn nothing unless you can check what the conditions where going into the process (ratio, temp of dough, length of rise, temp of water added are the essentials, # of folds for bread is good too)

I just downloaded a new app to my phone a few days ago for keeping track of recipes I like, and I can edit things and put annotations everywhere. My phone's a Kyocera Hydro, too, so if I get something on it I can wipe it off with a damp or disinfectant cloth and it'll be fine. So I'll definitely be taking advice from both of you on this.

poverty goat

meteloides posted:

I just downloaded a new app to my phone a few days ago for keeping track of recipes I like, and I can edit things and put annotations everywhere. My phone's a Kyocera Hydro, too, so if I get something on it I can wipe it off with a damp or disinfectant cloth and it'll be fine. So I'll definitely be taking advice from both of you on this.

what app

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

MyCookBook (Recipe Manager)

poverty goat

i just cooked food!

This is a salmon. Among bears, salmon is considered to be the food of kings. I've had mostly bad results with individually frozen salmon filets in the past but most of those filets turned out to be from russia and china. The frozen salmon filet I am using tonight is a free range american salmon, so I have a feeling it is cut from a different cloth.

I had read over here that if you brine the salmon that white gooey stuff won't leech out of it and make it look like you jizzed on it, which is a worthy pursuit, so I'm going to try that.

This is a frozen 6oz salmon filet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. I skinned it, and my dog will eat the skin with his breakfast. Here is a photo of my dog:

Brining will tenderize tougher cuts of meat and help things like chicken/turkey breasts that tend to dry out hold their moisture. I've brined pork and brisket and turkey before but never fish. You should definitely be eating brined thanksgiving turkey in 2015, too, just fyi. This is what a salmon filet looks like when it is brining:

It looked like that for about 30 minutes. Then I sealed it up with some fresh dill and olive oil and hosed off for another 20 minutes while it cooked at 52C. I put the good side of the salmon toward the opaque side of the vacuum bag, so these next pictures suck. Go me!

That's the ugly skin side of the salmon facing through the nice clear side of the bag after cooking :argh:. I almost forgot that I put a beer in the freezer but I remembered just in time to throw that salmon on a paper plate and just scrape the dill off to the side like an animal for the group photo.

It looks like i jizzed on it, and its a little too salty. Thanks a lot for nothing, Anova. It's really good though otherwise.

Texture is perfect. I've had problems with these frozen filets being really fishy if you dont grill them or something but this guy turned out really well. Next time I might brine for less time, if at all, and use a bit more dill, but otherwise a+ would salmon again.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 6, 2015

landy.

joke_explainer posted:

I got some composition notebooks to start doing this.

joke_explainer

Aw, I would have given it a nice quick sear out of the bag, to give a contrast in the texture. Salmon skin is awesome crisped up. Also, what was your brine? Looks really tasty. Fish is something that enormously benefits from sous vide as the temperature range for undercooked' 'overcooked' and 'properly cooked' is like just a scant few degrees with fish.

poverty goat

i thought about searing half of it to compare but as demonstrated by the paper plate i was feeling extremely like not doing any more dishes at that point. The brine was 1/4c salt in 4 cups of ice water per the anova recipe

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 6, 2015

joke_explainer

That's fine. Looks great. Somehow I missed the paper plate entirely. Great post though, I love seeing your stuff GD!

alnilam

pro puppy pic as well :woof:

ty manifisto

om nom nom

I wholeheartedly agree on the sear thing. Also I wonder how soy sauce/soy sauce and sesame oil would work in the vac bag in lieu of a brine? I think that would kill two birds with one stone. I know its a totally different flavor profile than what you are working with, but just a thought.

poverty goat

om nom nom posted:

I wholeheartedly agree on the sear thing. Also I wonder how soy sauce/soy sauce and sesame oil would work in the vac bag in lieu of a brine? I think that would kill two birds with one stone. I know its a totally different flavor profile than what you are working with, but just a thought.

the flavor of the olive oil was very present in the salmon so id use something more neutral if anything if you want to taste the fish

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 7, 2015

bog pixie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZjbuAf4Nkg

poverty goat

i made the salmon again for some family in town the other night but i forgot to take any pics until it was almost too late

i left the skin on and seared it just on the skin side to crisp it up. was good. serving with the crispy skin on top handles the cum goo problem nicely

this week im going to make some delicious char siu bao

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 14, 2015

poverty goat

i cooked more food.

theres a really good bao recipe in the gws wiki: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_%28Hum_Bao%29

I've made it before and it was great but i wanted more meat and more sauce, so I doubled the meat and tripled the sauce and stuffed as much as possible of it into my bao and had a little pork left over which is great with me. The pork and sauce totally 100% nails the chinatown bao taste and the dough is really good but not quite the same.

I forgot to take pictures of the pork butt before I trimmed and boned it. One fun butt fact is that a pork's butt is on it's shoulder. Here is what's left of the butt:

It's traditional to use blurry ingredients for the marinade.

I marinated it all day in a bag, since I have 2.5 gallon "marinating bags" that I've had for like 10 years and never used. I mean how often do you marinate something that won't fit in a smaller bag?

Into the oven:

The meat shrunk somehow (oven gremlins?) so I consolidated it into one pan halfway through.

Sauce

Sauced.

The yeast I just bought at harris teeter (on the right) didn't do poo poo. There will be hell to pay. Good thing I had some old food lion brand yeast that was ready for action.

I didn't take any pics of kneading the dough, because its hard to take pictures while kneading dough. Here is kneaded dough.

Waiting...

Waiting...

Oh hi

It's smiling!

I didn't take pics of stuffing the baos either, because my hands were messy, but there are pics in the recipe above. Like I said I made more meat to try to stuff them fuller this time and I ended up with the dough a little too thin on the tops of some of them. They might have steamed better if I put the pinch on top instead of on the bottom but I stuck with the recipe this time.

Baked:

Steamed:

Dog:

Thank you and goodnight

om nom nom

Well hot drat that looks delicious

Scaly Haylie

this isn't really a recipe, but i hate kimchi. that's all.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Wizard posted:

you're wrong

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Miss Psychosis

Lizard Wizard posted:

You are so useless...

shabbat goy

Pomp posted:

you're wrong

Miss Psychosis posted:

You are so useless...

Those are both kind of mean, but they're also right; kimchi is good and the reason I am going to live forever.

the unabonger
kimchi is most excellent

Scaly Haylie

Idunno maybe it's one of those acquired taste situations. I'm gonna be having it once a week as part of my diet so we'll see!

joke_explainer

Try some cucumber kimchi, it's a gateway kimchi. It is somewhat an acquired taste situation I guess. If you start with relatively freshly pickled Napa cabbage, and enjoy that, eventually you'll find the deepening of the flavor as it gets funkier and more fermented appealing I think. It's really good.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
kimchi is really good on sandwiches but you need a decent bread to keep it from sogging up the place

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
tbh if you are capable of buying or baking decent bread but still buy crap then i have a large amount of contempt for you

----------------

poverty goat

Pomp posted:

tbh if you are capable of buying or baking decent bread but still buy crap then i have a large amount of contempt for you

most americans don't even know that bread can be good, because they grew up eating wonderbread with crust so bad that mom cut it off for them. have a little compassion

joke_explainer

The Goatfather posted:

most americans don't even know that bread can be good, because they grew up eating wonderbread with crust so bad that mom cut it off for them. have a little compassion

If you want to make great bread pick up this book then follow the bread procedures within:

Scaly Haylie

Pomp posted:

kimchi is really good on sandwiches but you need a decent bread to keep it from sogging up the place

no bread in this diet :911:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

eat food
mostly plants
not too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

om nom nom

Kim chi is good I think the first time I had it was on a hot dog in my youth so idk try it on a dog or burg you'll probably like it. Or just eat it with 2 or 3 meals a day you'll acquire a taste with it cause your body will know it is giving you nutrition and is not, in fact, bad