Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That short range charger with the bubbler is so weird. It doesn't charge THAT fast to make up for the range. I mean, I get that it's a charge shotgun and all, but man, it's a mess in close quarters like the mall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I haven't tried chargers at all because I hated it in the testfire, but I love the .52 gal and the aerospray. They're quite effective at both coverage and murder.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah rollers aren't for laying down roads to push ahead; chargers are. But if you have no chargers than blasters can just ink the ground as they run across it.

Chargers are probably the easiest to rush with because they make nice lines of paint even if you fire them uncharged, but I can easily move much faster than a roller with a .52 Gallon or a Blaster as well.

Edit: Blaster is stupid good at racking up kills so I'm glad that I don't have to fight them very often (the first time I fought against someone using one was several rounds after I hit 8+ kills per game several times in a row with my own, and it made me say out loud something like "oh god so that's how it feels from the other end"), they're also fantastic at painting areas as long as you don't whiff them against a wall or floor

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 29, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
how on earth does the map rotation system work? i just got a news blurb about there being new maps to play on and i can't play on the old ones

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My god it all makes sense now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Are the abilities tied to gear random or do they just appear as you level?

e; Kind of just getting games in with the starting gear to learn the maps nad mechanics and poo poo right now. Maybe read an effort post on gear and loadouts later.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Prosquidskidssquids ITT :cthulhu:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Suspicious Dish posted:

how on earth does the map rotation system work? i just got a news blurb about there being new maps to play on and i can't play on the old ones

It rotates every four hours.

One good part about the lack of a voting system is how fast you end up playing a round. I got in like 3 rounds in the 10 minutes I had before work this morning. I wish there was one more map in rotation at a time though, I think that would be perfect.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
except for the part where the matchmaking sucks and you cant even exit out of the screen, you just stay there for like 10 minutes until it times out

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

except for the part where the matchmaking sucks and you cant even exit out of the screen, you just stay there for like 10 minutes until it times out

I havent had any issues with matchmaking at all. Certainly not 10 minute waits

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleMaster posted:

Chargers are probably the easiest to rush with because they make nice lines of paint even if you fire them uncharged, but I can easily move much faster than a roller with a .52 Gallon or a Blaster as well.

Edit: Blaster is stupid good at racking up kills so I'm glad that I don't have to fight them very often (the first time I fought against someone using one was several rounds after I hit 8+ kills per game several times in a row with my own, and it made me say out loud something like "oh god so that's how it feels from the other end"), they're also fantastic at painting areas as long as you don't whiff them against a wall or floor

Yeah blasters are still my favorites. I have yet to top that 14-0 match but god drat, I mean...

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Since this has not happened to me at all I can only assume it's your connection.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I havent had any issues with matchmaking at all. Certainly not 10 minute waits

Hey mbd, what are the good and cool guns that i should try to get, when i play later

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

codenameFANGIO posted:

Since this has not happened to me at all I can only assume it's your connection.

I have no idea. I just got a screen that said "waiting for the next available battle", stayed there for around 5 minutes, and then finally put me in a battle.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I have no idea. I just got a screen that said "waiting for the next available battle", stayed there for around 5 minutes, and then finally put me in a battle.

Sounds like you joined a friend's game and there wasn't room for 5 minutes.

My favorite load out right now is the .52 gal deco with the bombchu seekers. The seekers are really good at getting splats and making roads. Also one kind of cheap thing you can do with the inkstrike is shoot it off when there are only a few seconds left. It'll land after the match ends and the other team can't reclaim the turf.

Evil Eagle fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 29, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

sharrrk posted:

Hey mbd, what are the good and cool guns that i should try to get, when i play later

I think all the primary weapons are good if you know how to use them (so avoid chargers) but just regular splattershot class weapons own. What you want to look out for is the sub and special weapons. Ink bubble is really good, and so is the echolocator and the inkzooka. For sub weapons i really like the disruptor, because it means you pretty much will win any 1v1 engagement if you use it as you attack them. If you beat the first boss in single player you unlock that weapon combination in the store so thats a good idea to do that early.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Evil Eagle posted:

Sounds like you joined a friend's game and there wasn't room for 5 minutes.

Might have? I didn't select the Friends Only option, I just wanted to play video games.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

codenameFANGIO posted:

It happens. I'll be getting into games instantly every game for an hour or so, then suddenly there will be a period where everyone is stuck in the lobby for ages waiting for two more players.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 29, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Im trying to kill someone with a well placed inkwall. Its a lot more useful than I expected. Its basically 1 way cover. Next time I see someone's bud TPing in, Im gonna throw an ink wall right there and see if they die.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Elenkis posted:

It happens. I'll be getting into games instantly every game for an hour or so, then suddenly there will be a period where everyone is stuck in the lobby for ages waiting for two more players.

Nah, the screen actually looked like this:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'm really digging the single player.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I keep dying in a single shot and boy is that loving annoying.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
As it is, I'm only playing online in short bursts since seeing the same maps over and over again is getting a little old, single player mode is interesting though, a lot of neat challenges there.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It only annoys me when I die in a single shot to things that shouldn't do it like the SMG-type weapons. My .52 Gal doesn't kill people that fast how are people doing it with a Splattershot :mad:

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Suspicious Dish posted:

Nah, the screen actually looked like this:

Ah, you can't exit out of the lobby screen while waiting for other players either.

My other complaint with the game is that I can't adjust sensitivity for each axis individually. I love the game, but after three days I still can't find a balanced setting where both axis feel right to me.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Amusingly, if people drop out in a match, via lagging out or something, they don't seem to be replaced until the match ends, I had one earlier where 3 people on the enemy team and 2 on mine dropped, leaving the last guy completely boxed in at the spawn point as we just sat there and killed him over and over for the remaining 1:30.

Then it happened to me next match and I was all alone and got camped to hell and back. :v:

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

BattleMaster posted:

It only annoys me when I die in a single shot to things that shouldn't do it like the SMG-type weapons. My .52 Gal doesn't kill people that fast how are people doing it with a Splattershot :mad:

That's most likely your connection hiccuping so that it just looks like you were one shot. I dunno though maybe there are crits in this.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was gonna make a big post but it boils down to get good.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Elenkis posted:

Ah, you can't exit out of the lobby screen while waiting for other players either.

My other complaint with the game is that I can't adjust sensitivity for each axis individually. I love the game, but after three days I still can't find a balanced setting where both axis feel right to me.

I had a lot of trouble with the motion controls (not being used to using sticks in a shooter game also didn't help, since I usually only play them on a PC with a mouse, or on the Wii with pointer controls) so I turned them off and tried to twin-stick it, but at every sensitivity level I had some kind of problem. Either I'd turn too slowly or have difficulty aiming up/down well.

After playing enough to reach level 8 I said gently caress it and turned motion controls back on and put the sensitivity up. It turns out that any kind of fine control is almost impossible without them. I rest the gamepad on my lap like it's a normal controller and center it at the start of every match, and with the high sensitivity I don't have to move it much to aim. It greatly increased my effectiveness, especially since that was when I unlocked the Blaster and it made it easier to not accidentally whiff it against the floor.

Nintendo let us use a Wiimote and Nunchuck for pointer aiming please :O

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BattleMaster posted:

Misandu posted:

That's most likely your connection hiccuping so that it just looks like you were one shot. I dunno though maybe there are crits in this.

+ damage gear, I think it stacks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

+ damage gear, I think it stacks.

I thought of people stacking damage gear but when I started checking the gear on the death screen it didn't seem to be the case; no more than 2 and usually it was the starter gear which comes with them (they were probably too lazy to swap anything but the weapons). Probably lag then.

I saw some rear end in a top hat in the plaza with 4 damage mods though.

Edit: All things considered the starter weapon and clothes are really good, surprisingly, I was considering going back and rolling with them for a while now that I'm used to the game. A lot of the clothes I like the look of don't have such a helpful set of bonuses

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 29, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
ngl i've been rocking the starting stuff this entire time and winning basically every time

i have no idea how the gear system works

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Suspicious Dish posted:

ngl i've been rocking the starting stuff this entire time and winning basically every time

Starter clothes have good mods on them at the cost of looking like a newbie I guess, and the Splattershot Jr. weapon set is solid. The gun isn't strictly worse than any other gun I've seen so far and the bubble and grenades are always solid subweapons.

I like sets that have utility grenades and superweapons though, so the Blaster and .52 Gal are the best for me. Never not Killer Wail

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yeah, I'm having that problem too. How do I use the secondary abilities my gear has? They don't have HUD icons like the main ones do. Also is there a way to reroll gear if you get traits you don't want?

In fact are traits even random? Pretty much everyone in starter gear seems to have had the same secondaries.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The water balloon bombs are the worst weapon in the game I think.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

BattleMaster posted:

After playing enough to reach level 8 I said gently caress it and turned motion controls back on and put the sensitivity up. It turns out that any kind of fine control is almost impossible without them. I rest the gamepad on my lap like it's a normal controller and center it at the start of every match, and with the high sensitivity I don't have to move it much to aim. It greatly increased my effectiveness, especially since that was when I unlocked the Blaster and it made it easier to not accidentally whiff it against the floor.

I'm using the motion controls, but I'm still only ever completely happy with one axis. The other feels either too fast or slow in comparison because the y axis is locked at a higher sensitivity than the x :(

I can still play the game ok, it just bugs me.

Out of interest, what is your sensitivity set to?

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 29, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

The water balloon bombs are the worst weapon in the game I think.

If you use them like a grenade they're a strictly worse grenade. But the thing is unlike a grenade you can spam them.

I think the real use of balloons is to cover walls. They paint a whole side wall instantly. That or you can toss out a couple in somebody's face in rapid succession.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So, is the game good? Also are these amiibos going to be the kind that resell for shitloads?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Elenkis posted:

I'm using the motion controls, but I'm still only ever completely happy with one axis. The other feels either too fast or slow in comparison because the y axis is locked at a higher sensitivity than the x :(

I can still play the game ok, it just bugs me.

Out of interest, what is your sensitivity set to?

+3. Actually if I could lower the sensitivity on the motion control X-axis while keeping higher sensitivity on the stick X-axis and motion Y-axis I'd be a lot happier now that you mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

So, is the game good? Also are these amiibos going to be the kind that resell for shitloads?

Game is pretty drat good if a little light on maps and ... options.

No clue about amiibos I don't really do that stuff. I think they're all like beanie babies and its only worth a little bit during the shortage and then they're all worthless.

• Locked thread