Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Where are you that they're still free? I haven't seen a free air pump in years.

QuikTrip, son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Some places are cool, if you go inside to pay cash for gas or get food or whatever and the cashier is cool enough they'll turn it on for free.

Also sometimes the machine fucks up and doesn't take cards the cashier will usually turn it on for free

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Yeah most of the Arco stations in my area will turn on the machine for you if you buy something. Gas station attendants give zero fucks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Karma Monkey posted:

What's weird to me about the Laughing Cow is that it's a dairy product mascot, but it has no udder.

Not even death can save you from cheese.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm in Australia and I hadn't even heard of paid gas (e: :doh: air) pumps until now. What the gently caress, America? It's air! What are you even paying for, operation of the compressor? :psyduck:

AlphaKretin has a new favorite as of 02:47 on May 30, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Unless things changed since I worked at Speedway the attendants have nothing to do with the air pumps and can't even give refunds if they steal your change.

It is true though that they give no fucks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm in Australia and I hadn't even heard of paid gas pumps until now. What the gently caress, America? It's air! What are you even paying for, operation of the compressor? :psyduck:

You are paying for the gas that comes out of the nozzle and goes into your gas tank.

A lot of not-poo poo gas station have free air stations, at least in my area. Like other people said, if they can't find one they live in a shithole. I have never paid for air in my life.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm in Australia and I hadn't even heard of paid gas pumps until now. What the gently caress, America? It's air! What are you even paying for, operation of the compressor? :psyduck:

The service. If you don't have a choice, they can charge whatever the gently caress they want. This is also why Bud Light at a baseball game costs $8.50.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Electricity and maintenance?

I am American and drove in England for the first time ever a few weeks back and I was very confused by the gas pumps there. You see in America no one is trusted and you have to pay first. In the UK I assume no one is trusted but they have cameras and big brother everywhere so you pump first and pay. I'm the dumbass that didn't know this and walked in to ask the guy behind the counter what to do.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I am American and drove in England for the first time ever a few weeks back and I was very confused by the gas pumps there. You see in America no one is trusted and you have to pay first. In the UK I assume no one is trusted but they have cameras and big brother everywhere so you pump first and pay. I'm the dumbass that didn't know this and walked in to ask the guy behind the counter what to do.

I suppose. I always assumed that (and worker salaries &c.) was paid for by the higher-than-average price of stuff inside and the price of the actual fuel.

They trust us to pump first here too, and (AFAIK :tinfoil:) we don't have big brother cameras everywhere, though obviously petrol stations have some normal security cameras.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If you're in Ohio the chain Bellstores still let's you pump without paying, but only if they can see your license plate. Then they write down the make/model/color of your car and report it to the police. I'm pretty sure nothing ever happens from there though.

You actually can get wrote up if you tell someone to prepay. They would rather you just ignore the person until they get angry enough to come in and yell at you.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Not even death can save you from cheese.

MY UDDERS DEATHS WILL NOT BE IN VAIN

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm in Australia and I hadn't even heard of paid gas (e: :doh: air) pumps until now. What the gently caress, America? It's air! What are you even paying for, operation of the compressor? :psyduck:

I live in one of the few states in the US that doesn't allow you to pump your own gas so maybe it helps offset the added labor required to keep Oregonians from causing the whole state to burst into flame or whatever that rule was supposed to prevent?

Like I said, nine times out of ten if you ask the attendant to turn on the pump for you, they will. Being polite is a handy skill

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Fart Sandwiches posted:

It's rare to have to pre-pay in Minnesota. You only run into it in really shady areas. Everywhere I go, I pump first and then go in.

There was an SA near me years ago that switched to pre-pay to save on drive offs. The fact is that they make their money on in-store purchases. If you require pre-pay, everyone will pay at the pump and not even come in. They switched back after about 6 months.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

aerion111 posted:

It'd be a bit creepier if they showed some of the less... Survivable products.
I don't know if it's the same company, but around here, a meat-brand also had a talking cow as their mascot, advertising steak and the like in the usual overly-cheerful way - which seemed creepy to me, at least, in a 'meet the meat' kinda sense.

that reminds me of Bills Barbecue, which has two really stoked pigs eating pork on the sign

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

That's a mark of quality bbq, along with hand painted coke signs from the 40s and being a fire hazard

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I work for a lovely penny-pinching chain of gas stations in (South) Australia and even they don't charge for Air.

Croccers has a new favorite as of 04:12 on May 31, 2015

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

So in America, you pay for air AND have to pay before you pump? :wtc:

In Britain most petrol stations even give you 24 hours to pay if you fill up and then realise you are a dumbfuck and have forgotten your wallet.

So in the good old USA people willingly pay for air, aren't trusted enough to fill up before paying (sometimes aren't trusted to even pump it themselves) and you call it "gas" stations?

Lol.

Rule Britannia

Thrifting Day! has a new favorite as of 04:27 on May 31, 2015

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
AIR CHAT.

Best I've seen was a free air pump that had a digital readout where you set the exact pressure you wanted to reach, and then the thing beeped once it hit it while you were filling your tires.

Before you ask, yes, it automatically resets to 32psi after a minute of non-use so the next idiot doesn't blow themselves up attempting to put truck-tire pressures into their subcompact.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Boat posted:

AIR CHAT.

Best I've seen was a free air pump that had a digital readout where you set the exact pressure you wanted to reach, and then the thing beeped once it hit it while you were filling your tires.

Before you ask, yes, it automatically resets to 32psi after a minute of non-use so the next idiot doesn't blow themselves up attempting to put truck-tire pressures into their subcompact.

Wow, ok then. I didn't think I lived in a particularly well-off area, but it can't be too bad if I've never seen anything but this and others are calling it rare. :psyduck: Maybe the companies responsible for air pumps here make a killing in another industry and can afford to be generous?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Every gas station I've been to since I started driving (10 years ago) has a card reader right at the pump, you literally can't pump gas without swiping first, is this not normal? :psyduck:

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

British Columbia went Pre-Pay in 2008, and most people opted to use the pump-PIN pads to get gas unless you were using cash.
I drove through 4 provinces pumping my gas first before hitting BC and wondering why the hell the pump wouldn't turn on.

They realized that they saved on drive-offs (generally the highest gas prices in the country) but lost the walk-in business. A few chains responded by putting Tim Hortons in (Like a Dunkin' Donuts if you don't speak Canadian) with a limited menu and tiny footprint and sales exploded. Do I want to get my Tims while I get gas before my commute? gently caress yes I do! Most of these locations have been updated at least once since they went in, which tells you how well they were doing.

Other chains that couldn't score a full store got Tim Hortons Express, which is just a self-serve coffee bar like any other but all Tim Hortons branded coffee and stuff. They don't even have employees, you just pay the gas station clerks. The rest of the gas stations who can't get in on the sweet Timmys cash started finding more upscale brands and stepping up their coffee and convenience food game.

None of this is a dumb move but I find it interesting to see a free-market solution in action to the question of "well what do we do if everyone can pay at the pump with debit/credit/speedpasses?"

I've also noticed that less and less stations offer full service. They trust pretty much everyone to pump their own gas and it's cheaper to not pay a guy to stand outside. If they have someone, they have a truck bay with a diesel pump and you can hand a fleet card over and never leave the truck. If you really wanted to, you could go to a full service station, pay a few cents extra on your gas to get it pumped, then rock up through the Tim's drive through and leave with breakfast without leaving your car. It's not a drive through liquor store, but it's nice when it's cold as gently caress out.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

reformed bad troll posted:

So in America, you pay for air AND have to pay before you pump? :wtc:

In Britain most petrol stations even give you 24 hours to pay if you fill up and then realise you are a dumbfuck and have forgotten your wallet.

So in the good old USA people willingly pay for air, aren't trusted enough to fill up before paying (sometimes aren't trusted to even pump it themselves) and you call it "gas" stations?

Lol.

Rule Britannia

I love posts like this, cuz it really helps the rest of us find the insufferable goobers in the thread. Congrats on being born in the UK dude, your weird misplaced outrage about gas stations is completely justified.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MAD ABOUT GAS STATIONS AND GEOPOLITICS

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

wait no i think that's the subtitle to the politoons thread

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Radio Help posted:

I love posts like this, cuz it really helps the rest of us find the insufferable goobers in the thread. Congrats on being born in the UK dude, your weird misplaced outrage about gas stations is completely justified.

Settle down.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Radio Help posted:

At least he isn't circumcised.

And he probably has his toilet paper the right way round too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Everyone knows the dollar menu at McDonalds. So I don't know why they altered it so that almost everything is now $1.50 or so. Or why most of the stores around here closed for a month to get remodeled, so now every single loving store looks the same. There used to be one with a two-story kids area with giant playplace. Gone. One that was decorated like a loving dinosaur park. Gone. One that had aquariums in it! Gone. They are all the same now with the same poo poo design...and they wonder why they are losing money?

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

No you. Heh (gotcha)

Cowslips Warren posted:

Everyone knows the dollar menu at McDonalds. So I don't know why they altered it so that almost everything is now $1.50 or so. Or why most of the stores around here closed for a month to get remodeled, so now every single loving store looks the same. There used to be one with a two-story kids area with giant playplace. Gone. One that was decorated like a loving dinosaur park. Gone. One that had aquariums in it! Gone. They are all the same now with the same poo poo design...and they wonder why they are losing money?

This one's pretty easy to explain. The dollar menu is downplayed because McDonalds wants to appeal to millennials, and millennials (according to overly-broad marketing tropes) would rather pay more for something they perceive as higher-quality. The stores look the same because they always kind of have been the same, save for the few outlier franchises in small towns. Playplaces are gone because they're an insurance liability and are a hassle to clean. The aquarium costs more money to maintain than it makes for the store, and a sizable portion of the sampled market demographic didn't even notice that the dinosaur was there in the first place.

Say what you want about McDonald's lovely food or their weird, lowest-common-denominator ad campaigns, but at the end of the day most of their decisions actually do make sense on a very broad level. And they're a very broad company. That's the nature of business on that level. I mean, can you think of a single WalMart or Target that has regional character?

edit:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

At least he isn't circumcised.

And he probably has his toilet paper the right way round too.

oh now ya done it

Radio Help has a new favorite as of 12:39 on May 31, 2015

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

God bless the queen etc...

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I'm only mad cuz I'm jealous of your free air pumps dude :(

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Radio Help posted:

I'm only mad cuz I'm jealous of your free air pumps dude :(

It all evens out. We need to pay £125 a year tax to own a TV.

That's a lot of air, though.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Holy poo poo that's like $7,000 USD. My patriotism is restored!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

reformed bad troll posted:

It all evens out. We need to pay £125 a year tax to own a TV.

That's a lot of air, though.

On the other hand, the TV licence gives us the BBC. :britain:

At least until the Tories ruin it. :argh:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Super Waffle posted:

Every gas station I've been to since I started driving (10 years ago) has a card reader right at the pump, you literally can't pump gas without swiping first, is this not normal? :psyduck:
My company took those out of the pumps that could do that when they took over another chain of stores because :qq: my impulse sales.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Yvonmukluk posted:

On the other hand, the TV licence gives us the BBC. :britain:

At least until the Tories ruin it. :argh:

The BBC wastes loads of money buying american shows for channels no one watches, and paying Danny Murphy (and others) to be a thick, dour oval office about the football. It needs to be razed to the ground asap.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone have an opinion as to why McDonalds is doing so bad?

I think it's from years of alienating their regular customer base of poor people and old people while failing to attract the people they're targeting because they're McDonalds and they're awful.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

cheerfullydrab posted:

Does anyone have an opinion as to why McDonalds is doing so bad?

I think it's from years of alienating their regular customer base of poor people and old people while failing to attract the people they're targeting because they're McDonalds and they're awful.

They've taken a PR beating, starting with super-size me. I think after that McDonald's=Bad became a part of the cultural narrative, especially for young people who now have grown up and possess purchasing power. It's sort of what happened to soda, except I think I started hearing about people just dropping soda from their diets to lose weight some time around 2001 or 2002. Now coke and pepsi are a little freaked out that 'drop soda to lose weight' is pretty much a no-brainer at this point, as it's really cutting into sales. Doubly so since those studies came out linking diet soda to the death of intestinal flora. I think coke was making that High Protein super milk (only twice the price of regular milk!) and both brands tried a version that was sweetened with a mixture of sugar in stevia, in green cans. Because green means that it's good for you.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

sassassin posted:

The BBC wastes loads of money buying american shows for channels no one watches, and paying Danny Murphy (and others) to be a thick, dour oval office about the football. It needs to be razed to the ground asap.

Hear hear.

It should go to a subscribers-only pay model. I hate being forced to pay for it when I never watch the sodding thing anyway.

Of course this means they would only get a fraction of their budget, so maybe they'll be forced to throw out all the poo poo and just focus on the decent programmes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

and both brands tried a version that was sweetened with a mixture of sugar in stevia, in green cans. Because green means that it's good for you.

Coke's is called "Coca-Cola Life"