Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So if not for under 100 (there are some off brands for about 50 but they have 4gb of internal storage which is just right out) then what kind of price point am I looking at?

Something like 10", 16-32gb internal memory storage, maybe 2-3gb of ram, not required but perhaps the chance of it being rooted or installing custom roms?

I'd probably be okay with dropping down to 7" but I have a Note 3 so I feel like going to a 7" tablet wouldn't be that much of an upgrade (though going to a 10" would allow me to be okay with going for a cheaper cellphone).

RVProfootballer posted:

Nexus 10 for <$150 is still a great buy. It has held up well actually, great screen, great battery, not too much jitteriness (in my experience), though it is slower than newer tablets of course. It's better than any other 10" tablet you'll get for under $200 IMO. If you can't find one that cheap, any more than $200 or so and you're getting into territory for a refurbished or used iPad Mini 2 or Air, which is a better option at that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Two years ago I would have recommended the Nook Hd plus. Mine still works OK but it isn't snappy with games. Still solid for media though.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Thanks for the save (ha), goddamn nerds.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

All the places I see are over 300 which is out of my price range. I'll keep looking.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

All the places I see are over 300 which is out of my price range. I'll keep looking.

Ah yeah, if that's the going rate, I wouldn't recommend it.

Chas McGill posted:

Two years ago I would have recommended the Nook Hd plus. Mine still works OK but it isn't snappy with games. Still solid for media though.

I went from Nook HD+ to Nexus 10 and man, it's so much nicer. It scrolls without lagging, there isn't stuttering after every tap, you don't have to gently caress with CM, hah. They're a bit under $100 used in the U.S. on eBay, but I wouldn't go back to it if my Nexus 10 broke. I thought since I mostly just read on it, it wouldn't bug me, but I was wrong.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

yotoc posted:

I just replaced my screen using this video and ordered the parts from the links in the description. It was easy as hell, just go easy with the heat gun. I got some warping on the frame before I realized I was overdoing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAlNuGrGDuU

I sent it in to ASUS to see what the replacement cost is. I found a bunch of cheap Chinese screens but didn't know which were decent or not.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

RVProfootballer posted:

Ah yeah, if that's the going rate, I wouldn't recommend it.

I went from Nook HD+ to Nexus 10 and man, it's so much nicer. It scrolls without lagging, there isn't stuttering after every tap, you don't have to gently caress with CM, hah. They're a bit under $100 used in the U.S. on eBay, but I wouldn't go back to it if my Nexus 10 broke. I thought since I mostly just read on it, it wouldn't bug me, but I was wrong.

Nook HD+ is still my tablet (used mostly for reading stuff on the couch and occasional movie watching). I definitely wish there was a version with 2GB of RAM and a slightly faster processor, but it's been workhorse for the $99 I paid for it almost two years ago.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, I got mine for around £100 ($150: usually UK vs US ripoff). I'd consider a Nexus 10, but I still really want stylus capability for annotation and sketching.

I've been using an Nvidia Shield tablet at work because we ordered some with 3d scanning cameras attached (for creating point clouds of pipes on oil rigs) and it seems great. Just too small for me to want to buy.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So if not for under 100 (there are some off brands for about 50 but they have 4gb of internal storage which is just right out) then what kind of price point am I looking at?

Something like 10", 16-32gb internal memory storage, maybe 2-3gb of ram, not required but perhaps the chance of it being rooted or installing custom roms?

I'd probably be okay with dropping down to 7" but I have a Note 3 so I feel like going to a 7" tablet wouldn't be that much of an upgrade (though going to a 10" would allow me to be okay with going for a cheaper cellphone).

Not a brand recommendation but you could try stalking Groupon for tablet deals. A lot of the deals are for refurbs if you're cool with that.

My friend and I bought a couple of 10" Asus Memos about a year and a half ago and we're still happy with them. To be fair though, there were only a couple of things we really needed out of a tablet and everything else could be compromised for a good price. She's an artist and wanted a 10" for reference pictures when she's working on something and expandable storage to load examples of her work on for art shows. I wanted expandable storage so I can load my collection of Pathfinder books and use it when I'm DMing. We both stream shows on them and it works good for that too. We do a little light gaming and they're still on 4.2.2.

They occasionally do some weird stuff like my screen flickers if I accidentally squeeze the edge weird and sometimes stuff crashes but a better, more reliable tablet in the same size would have been about twice the price new.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

beerinator posted:

5.1.1 on the Nexus 9 has definitely breathed more life into the device. Two weeks ago, I was considering my next tablet purchase and for the last week since the update, all seems just fine. Not perfect, but certainly workable.

Still pretty crazy that my Nexus 5 is so much more solid than an 8 month old tablet.

The M preview is much, much better than 5.1.1. Kind of dumb to have it sub par for so long, but this is substantially better and smoother.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Alarbus posted:

The M preview is much, much better than 5.1.1. Kind of dumb to have it sub par for so long, but this is substantially better and smoother.

The doze feature is pretty impressive too, the battery hardly dropped overnight. That was the main reason I wanted to try M, maybe my Nexus 9 will finally have the idle battery life of an iPad 2.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

w00tazn posted:

I'm never buying another NVidia chipset ever again

I made the same decision with nForce2. Also gently caress VIA 333 and AMD 750 or w/e, those three companies really know how to produce garbage chipsets.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I made the same decision with nForce2. Also gently caress VIA 333 and AMD 750 or w/e, those three companies really know how to produce garbage chipsets.

God I remember hacing to install VIA chipset drivers every drat time I installed windows or I'll get random blue screens, CTDs on games and that poo poo. I also remember the hilarious incompatiblity poo poo Asus motherboard had with 3dfx cards where if you had an AMD K6-III motherboard and a Voodoo 3, it'll end having everything being hosed due to bad power management. It happened to me in 1999 and Asus was "don't use our AMD mobos with 3dfx cards". At least instead of the standard RMA process, they just sent an intel mobo and a free P-III 650 as an apologize.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

We just retired our remaining NVIDIA chipsets (780i, 680a, and 980a) from our lab. Good riddance to those pieces of poo poo. Nothing ever worked right with those.

This has no relevance to Android tablets -- just wanted to pile on the NVIDIA north bridge hate.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Still have an Asus TF-201, so add me to the "gently caress nvidia SoC" club. It got outdated so fast it wasn't even funny. I rather buy a tablet with a mediatek, Kirin (huawei) or exynos SoC because it'll have better support.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Glass of Milk posted:

I sent it in to ASUS to see what the replacement cost is. I found a bunch of cheap Chinese screens but didn't know which were decent or not.

$220 to replace the screen on the Nexus 7. No thanks, ASUS. I'll probably try a kit when it gets back.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Couple of questions:

Is there a way to breathe some more life into a 2012 Nexus 7?
It has gotten so sluggish and at times downright unresponsive now (5.1.1), I sometimes feel like smashing it against the wall. It has plenty of free storage, I wiped the cache partition a couple of times and it feels a little snappier after, but it goes to poo poo pretty quickly again.

Failing that, what's a good, affordable stock Android tablet these days, preferably with a 7-8", 16:9 form factor? The 2013 Nexus 7 I am sometimes using at work still handles great, but I'm not quite comfortable investing in a 2013 device now.

If not stock Android, who adds the smallest amount of bloat to their tablets these days?
What about the Lenovo Yoga?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 10, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
So I have a 2013 N7 that won't charge while it's on or connect to a PC. Buuuuuut it charges while off and fastboot works fine while in the bootloader. I tried factory resetting and flashing the factory 5.1.1 image. Neither solved it.

Anyone seen this before? It reeks of a hardware failure but why does it charge while off and why does fastboot work?

Edit: Same goes for Qi. :psyduck:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

So I have a 2013 N7 that won't charge while it's on or connect to a PC. Buuuuuut it charges while off and fastboot works fine while in the bootloader. I tried factory resetting and flashing the factory 5.1.1 image. Neither solved it.

Anyone seen this before? It reeks of a hardware failure but why does it charge while off and why does fastboot work?

Edit: Same goes for Qi. :psyduck:

Whatever you do, don't bother with ASUS. I'm pretty convinced they have no idea how to do proper customer support.

I just got off the phone with them for about an hour to get a repair for my RT-AC68U and the guy did everything but answer my request for a repair from blaming the ISP, to the modem, to the entire internet as a whole (I don't even know what he was going on with this really...). Finally, he basically rushed me off the phone and never once answered my questions. Pretty sure the horror stories with them and the Nexus 7 RMAs have some truth to them.

Anyway, rants about ASUS aside, it does sound like some type of weird hardware issue...maybe the port's going or something? Though, if it's Qi, I have no idea...

Just don't bother asking for help from the manufacturer.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Whatever you do, don't bother with ASUS. I'm pretty convinced they have no idea how to do proper customer support.

I just got off the phone with them for about an hour to get a repair for my RT-AC68U and the guy did everything but answer my request for a repair from blaming the ISP, to the modem, to the entire internet as a whole (I don't even know what he was going on with this really...). Finally, he basically rushed me off the phone and never once answered my questions. Pretty sure the horror stories with them and the Nexus 7 RMAs have some truth to them.

Anyway, rants about ASUS aside, it does sound like some type of weird hardware issue...maybe the port's going or something? Though, if it's Qi, I have no idea...

Just don't bother asking for help from the manufacturer.

Yeah I dunno man. It's super loving weird and screamed hardware issue until my laptop magically (and reliably) found the device in fastboot while in the bootloader. The Qi part just makes it even loving weirder. Only being able to charge it while its off makes using the thing super annoying so I'm already on the hunt for another 2013 but I was curious if anyone else had seen this before.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah I dunno man. It's super loving weird and screamed hardware issue until my laptop magically (and reliably) found the device in fastboot while in the bootloader. The Qi part just makes it even loving weirder. Only being able to charge it while its off makes using the thing super annoying so I'm already on the hunt for another 2013 but I was curious if anyone else had seen this before.

I've never heard of it, really. I've heard of dying USB ports on the 7 2013 but not the Qi too...are they connected internally somehow? I'm assuming so since they both charge the battery...crappy wire or something?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've never heard of it, really. I've heard of dying USB ports on the 7 2013 but not the Qi too...are they connected internally somehow? I'm assuming so since they both charge the battery...crappy wire or something?

I had the same thought but the ifixit teardown is super vague about the coil. It has one picture of the coil pad and the connectors point up and away from the daughter board that has the USB port. :shrug:

Edit: Yeah, watched a few other tear down videos and the Qi coil is not tied into the daughter board at all. WELP.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 15, 2015

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I had the same thought but the ifixit teardown is super vague about the coil. It has one picture of the coil pad and the connectors point up and away from the daughter board that has the USB port. :shrug:

Edit: Yeah, watched a few other tear down videos and the Qi coil is not tied into the daughter board at all. WELP.

Loose battery connection maybe? Don't ask me how it would work itself loose, but V:shobon:V

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Loose battery connection maybe? Don't ask me how it would work itself loose, but V:shobon:V

Could be...the Nexus 7 2012 is apparently notorious for having a loose battery cable. You have to crack it open, wiggle the plug around, and it'll work fine afterwards. :v:

My roommate's had to do it twice now.

Shux
Feb 25, 2012

Join Freestyle Cyclists and help repeal Australia's unjustified Helmet laws.

Studies have shown cars travel much closer to cyclists wearing helmets, arguably increasing the risk of an accident.
For any Aussies looking for a deal, Dick Smith has Galaxy Tab S 8.4 on sale at the moment for $336. It's via their ebay page but the store matched price when I went in. Store price was also on "special" at $407 so I don't know if it's a mistake or not.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The Galaxy Tab S tablets seem to be on clearance around the place. Telstra have the 4G 10.5 on their $29 p/m tablet plan with 1GB of data, which is how much the plan costs without the tablet, so it's essentially "free" on a horribly priced data plan :v:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So I've got a cool new problem with my 2013 Nexus 7: The battery life is TOO good.

It basically sits at 100% for like a whole day if I leave it idle. If I do something intense with it, like play a game for a considerable amount of time, I can get it to drop a few percents. Then it eventually dies long before it's even at 50%. The batt stats are all wrong too.

I've tried running the battery down and recharging. Has anyone experienced this?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Android Tablet Thread: The battery life is TOO good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Require More Fire posted:

So I've got a cool new problem with my 2013 Nexus 7: The battery life is TOO good.

It basically sits at 100% for like a whole day if I leave it idle. If I do something intense with it, like play a game for a considerable amount of time, I can get it to drop a few percents. Then it eventually dies long before it's even at 50%. The batt stats are all wrong too.

I've tried running the battery down and recharging. Has anyone experienced this?

I guess the next step is formatting the partitions and reinstalling the factory firmware. Honestly I don't know where the battery stats live or I'd just tell you to flash that in fastboot.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

LastInLine posted:

I guess the next step is formatting the partitions and reinstalling the factory firmware. Honestly I don't know where the battery stats live or I'd just tell you to flash that in fastboot.

Doesn't resetting the dalvik cache reset battery stats?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Gerdalti posted:

I think they put a stop to that after, maybe, Gingerbread?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

Considering we got rid of the Dalvik virtual machine at the last software revision, I don't think that's gonna work.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a file on /data that you can't access without root.

A quick Google turned up /data/system/batterystats.bin which sounds about right.

CWM and TWRP both used to contain an option to wipe battery stats. I'd imagine they still do, I just haven't looked for it for years so I'm not certain.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

It's a file on /data that you can't access without root.

A quick Google turned up /data/system/batterystats.bin which sounds about right.

CWM and TWRP both used to contain an option to wipe battery stats. I'd imagine they still do, I just haven't looked for it for years so I'm not certain.

CWM got rid of it a long time ago but it wouldn't surprise me to see it in TWRP.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Reseating the battery worked for my Samsung, not sure how you'd go about it for a Nexus though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Does anyone have anything good to say about any of these less than $200 tablets? There's a decent variety of them out there. I want one that I will be using 80% of the time for reading books and papers.

I'm aware that a Kindle is a better option for reading, but i'm considering an Android tablet because I want to run Calibre Companion on it to manage my reading library.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

Does anyone have anything good to say about any of these less than $200 tablets? There's a decent variety of them out there. I want one that I will be using 80% of the time for reading books and papers.

I'm aware that a Kindle is a better option for reading, but i'm considering an Android tablet because I want to run Calibre Companion on it to manage my reading library.

I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch (lol @ that name) for about a year now. Works great, battery life is fantastic etc.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any word on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2? An 8 inch version with the same specs and build as the S6 would be nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All of the Tabs Samsung announced this year are 4:3 and this makes me sad.

I probably would have considered buying an updated Tab S 8.4. But if I'm going to suffer though 4:3, I'll just keep the Nexus 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch (lol @ that name) for about a year now. Works great, battery life is fantastic etc.

I'm going to get this. It's only $150 at Amazon.

I will take it out of your hide if this thing is unbearable poo poo!