Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Is it good?

I've been meaning to watch it.

It's hella pretty and has a good first half, but the pacing has tanked recently and they've failed at building a compelling central conflict with emotional resonance. I'd say Hero Academia is actually doing the same arc better, smarter, and more excitingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
Also Beef Waifu likes it so if you dislike it you hate new ADTRW.

EDIT:

Darth Walrus posted:

It's hella pretty and has a good first half, but the pacing has tanked recently and they've failed at building a compelling central conflict with emotional resonance. I'd say Hero Academia is actually doing the same arc better, smarter, and more excitingly.
Also I'm very, very positive My Hero Academia isn't doing the exact same arc as UBW at all. As shown in the other thread, you've kind of been consistently missing points.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 29, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I got a thing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Congratulations Waffleman on your descent into darkness.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Also Beef Waifu likes it so if you dislike it you hate new ADTRW.

EDIT:

Also I'm very, very positive My Hero Academia isn't doing the exact same arc as UBW at all. As shown in the other thread, you've kind of been consistently missing points.

Exact same, no, similar conflict between selflessness and selfishness, yes. I think HA does a better job of grounding Deku's dilemma and making us feel the consequences - UBW often seems like an abstract and overly-verbose thought experiment.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Darth Walrus posted:

Exact same, no, similar conflict between selflessness and selfishness, yes. I think HA does a better job of grounding Deku's dilemma and making us feel the consequences - UBW often seems like an abstract and overly-verbose thought experiment.
Fair enough.

When's that chapter going to be readable so we can get more Bokugou character moments.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya not becoming confident/proud at all kinda works IMO still. I mean, he can barely use his power. Every time he uses it, regardless of how much shock and awe there is he ends up breaking himself to pieces.

All the other students see him and get that he's ridiculously powerful; even Todoroki only says he's "probably" above him in "practical" power.

But the students respect him because he's kind, humble, and constantly demonstrates his selflessness- not because he has building-exploding punches.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Deku also regularly pulls some crazy and impressive poo poo without ever resorting to his powers, he's a gutsy and brilliant little bastard.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Seriously, kid was going toe to toe with Explodey Mcbombarm without even utilising All For One in All-Might's class. Of course that was partially because of years of getting the crap pummeled out of him, but still

I think that was the first moment I really started respecting him, when he dodged the ambush and snapped straight into game time mode.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
Classmates reactions to his Notebook are pretty amusing, it is somewhat easy to overlook but Deku is really intense about planning and theory crafting . Deku is Batman with Superman's power set.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

All Might's hugs are probably just The Best.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
He also got first place in the obstacle race without even utilizing his quirk, Deku definitely deserves respect for that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://bato.to/read/_/323533/boku-no-hero-academia_ch44_by_fallen-angels

Chapter's up. Destroy all bacteria.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
There was not a single panel this chapter that I disliked.

Great stuff and all might giving a big old hug to the others was adorable!
And it so refreshing to have a tournament arc that not only develops a large portion of the cast but also you know... finishes?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah that was cool. You got a sense of what was happening in the other fights without it being drawn out and all the main ones were done in a chapter but were still exciting.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

loving BACTERIA :byodood:

Todoroki. :unsmith:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Awww, All Might giving everyone a hug was so nice. If Bakugou wasn't literally a screaming lunatic of rage I bet he would've gotten a hug too.

I bet a hug from All Might is like getting a hug from Superman! :3:

I also loved it how almost everyone's family is super nice and supportive and loving. Good kids come from good families.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ahahaha oh wow I didn't notice Uraraka's mom literally pushing Uraraka's eyes back into their sockets.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

DrSunshine posted:

Awww, All Might giving everyone a hug was so nice. If Bakugou wasn't literally a screaming lunatic of rage I bet he would've gotten a hug too.

I bet a hug from All Might is like getting a hug from Superman! :3:

I also loved it how almost everyone's family is super nice and supportive and loving. Good kids come from good families.

Todoroki's sister seems surprisingly well-adjusted, given that she has the same parents as Todoroki.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Terper posted:

Ahahaha oh wow I didn't notice Uraraka's mom literally pushing Uraraka's eyes back into their sockets.

In any other comic, I'd write it off as just a cute, cartoonish touch...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mr. Fowl posted:

In any other comic, I'd write it off as just a cute, cartoonish touch...

She used her gravity power to literally float her eye away from the socket. :gonk:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

JosephWongKS posted:

Todoroki's sister seems surprisingly well-adjusted, given that she has the same parents as Todoroki.

Most of his kids seemed pretty normal. Probably because he doesn't give a crap about them and let's someone else take care of them.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Man, the author seems like he actually has a plan for the series and can actually write interesting, chill characters. That's pretty nice!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like to think that's just how he brushes his teeth every time.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Aw, Iida's big bro seems like a nice guy after all. :unsmith: Don't die, man.

I laughed every time Bakugou appeared in this chapter holy poo poo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MadHat posted:

Classmates reactions to his Notebook are pretty amusing, it is somewhat easy to overlook but Deku is really intense about planning and theory crafting . Deku is Batman with Superman's power set.
That's one of the funnier things in the series. From the perspective of say Bakugou or his middle-school classmates it's pathetic; he's a quirkless heroism fanboy so his notebook is just him nerding out and it's an embarrassment.

In this school, they see the kid with easily the 1st/2nd most powerful quirk in the entire school who is a major tryhard studybug...and he's taking notes on all of them. Generally so far the reaction is being either intimidated or creeped out a bit.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
What's special about Bakugou's anger is that it just doesn't loving wear off. Like he's not just angry for a minute, he's angry for a long loving time with zero breaks, it's amazing :allears:

Also love that his mom is yelling at him not to yell. Their neighbors must seriously hate them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think the action in this manga is great, but really, it's chapters like these that stand out to me. Same with when they were all talking in the bus.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Bakugou's still gnawing on the medal's strap in the classroom, I love it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm genuinely curious to figure out how Deku learns to cope with the fact that using his power how he has been is unacceptable in the future. He seems capable of controlling his power when he's using it directly against people (like when he punched Todoroki or slapped his hand away), but he needs to be able to control it in other situations so he can also harness One for All's speed.

Once he gets some control over his powers, the only student who I could see remaining a challenge for him is Todoroki; One for All's speed and strength certainly surpasses what Bakugou is able to get from utilizing his explosions. It's not exactly possible for the more hand-to-hand fighting students to train to deal with All Might-level speed.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The Uraraka family is adorable

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Uraraka and Iida's families seem like good people. :unsmith:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hopeford posted:

What's special about Bakugou's anger is that it just doesn't loving wear off. Like he's not just angry for a minute, he's angry for a long loving time with zero breaks, it's amazing :allears:

Also love that his mom is yelling at him not to yell. Their neighbors must seriously hate them.

I imagine that all their neighbors either moved away or had their houses heavily soundproofed after Bakugou's powers came in.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

tlarn posted:

Bakugou's still gnawing on the medal's strap in the classroom, I love it

He probably never stopped gnawing on it. If you find the medal the strap will be torn; he chewed right through it, swallowed what was in his mouth, and has continued gritting his teeth since.

Also man, Ingenium apologizing to IidaTenya (I guess they're both Iida technically) for nearly dying. Wow.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

This is the good poo poo

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
If The Hulk have a son, it would be Bakugou.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The Hulk has a son, and he makes Bakugou look sociable. So I guess not a terrible comparison.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I loving love all of these characters. Seriously, it's great how they're all interesting and likeable in their own specific ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Hey, have we ever seen Deku's dad or know where he is? I remember him being mentioned near the beginning, but I don't think he's ever actually been in the comic.