Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Smiling Knight posted:

I was taken by surprise by this my first play through. I had pegged the twins and the old man as shoe-ins for future party members, so seeing them show up here was quite the shock.

Well they are, just not Rush's party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I wonder who would be the guy that mentions remnants in every single scene they appear for mr conqueror?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I love the Seven reveal, if you didn't do sidequests, they're just some guys, if you did, then these people throughout the world you saw turned out to be working for the villain.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, now I don't know what to think about the Conqueror. He could be anywhere, doing anything.

...he could even be dead, and these people are his legacy. Legacy seems to be a big theme of the game.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Terrible things are all the more necessary to remember

Previously:

Chapter XXVII: Ice burrrn!

Younger Lord Candidate: Some Academy guys came out of nowhere and...
The Brimuslabus was stolen. Baaluk is done for...

I asked the Academy to take the Brimuslabus away. Neither of you are fit to be the lord! And with the Collapse...! The Remnant brings ill fortune to Baaluk. Ridding the town of it was the best move. We don't need a Remnant or a lord for this town to flourish!

- Video: Welcome back / Irina’s Plea

Welcome back, Lord David.
I trust everything’s gone smoothly here.
No problems, my Lord.
Rush!

Music: Home

Glad you’re finally back, Rush!
Good to be back. Is somethin’ going on?
Hey, Rush.

Dad?!

Since when were you awake?
It hasn’t been very long.
I figured I’d surprise you! Sorry for making you worry.

No, I’m just really glad you’re okay…

I suppose this means you were able to dispel Wagram’s magic.
Hmm…
Rush, I need you.

Sorry, Dad. I can’t stay and chat. We’ll catch up later, okay?
Rush…? Um, there’s something I wanted to ask you…
Sorry, kiddo. Can it wait?
Um, yeah, I guess...

Later…

Hey, Irina…

Rush! Mr. David!
What are you lookin’ so surprised for? You wanted to talk, right?

Yeah, but…
My apologies, but an urgent matter requires our presence at the Congress. If you don’t need him, I’ll be borrowing your brother for a bit longer.
W-wait!

I heard that the Conqueror was still alive! Is Rush… are you still gonna make Rush fight?

Mr. David, I really appreciate you helping Rush and me… but please, you have to let Rush go! You can take me instead!

What the hell are you talking about?
I’m talking about saving your life! How can you talk about keeping me out of danger and then walk right into it yourself? I can help you with this, but only if you let me!
You – I don’t want you worrying about this kinda stuff!

Rush, go get ready. I need to speak with Irina.
…Fine.

Rush leaves.

You know that Rush only wants you to be safe.
I know, but…
Don’t be foolish, Irina. You’re just a normal girl.

Me? Normal?! Even with that terrible power I have?
…Just forget about what happened in Nagapur, all right?

David leaves as well.

Music: A Special Girl

Nagapur… how am I supposed to just forget that?
You cannot. And should not.

:aaaaa:

What is this, a slasher movie?

Terrible things are all the more necessary to remember. You can end this nonsense.
What are you doing here?!

Even if you knew, you could not prevent me from reaching my goal. That is because I…

And the game cuts away to make sure that if he said anything important, we didn’t hear it. I don’t even know if he actually said anything important at all. I mean, I can think of a couple things he might have said, including some she would keep to herself, but spoilers, so I can’t say what they might be.

When we get back, the Conqueror is gone again.

This scene is particularly interesting because the Conqueror tends to be all business. He rarely speaks at all. He also tends to be a clear and present danger. Here, he not only showed up just to talk to Irina, but seemingly also told her something as well.

...Please, don't worry about Irina. She just wants to be by your side... even if that journey takes her to the battlefield. She cares for you, Rush.
Hrm, so the Conqueror still lives... Well, getting worked up won't help anyone think of a good way to solve this problem. For now, let's take it day by day... Do what we can and don't worry about the rest just yet, Rush.
To think, the Conqueror's lackeys survived... I'm certain the Congress will move to take action, but we must stay on our guard.
Rush! Good to hear about your dad. But... seems no good news comes with bad news coming on its heels... I didn't even imagine the Conqueror was still alive... I will get revenge for Mother, I swear it!
Heya, Rush! Good news about your pop, huh. He was out of it for so long. I figured he was never gonna get better... Weeell, it all worked out, right? Sometimes it's good when I'm wrong!

Because I know you’re wondering, Nagapur is still on the map and it is still possible to visit. We have no business in that area right now, though. To Elysion.

- Video: A New Task

Travelling to any city location triggers a cutscene.

I’m off to the Congress. Wait for me at the Embassy. Rush… I’m certain Irina would appreciate it if you got her something. In matters of the heart, actions speak louder than words, you know.

What’s he going on about? I’m – I’m not… ugh…

So, the Blessed Buns are out?

You really think she’s interested in buns?
Uh…

Music: The Young Marquis

You’re back surprisingly early, my Lord!
Not to speak ill of the dead, but without Hermeien, things move a bit more smoothly.

Congress Chairman Ghor has given Athlum its orders. We are to stop the Conqueror at any cost!

This is about some Remnant-finding, resonance… oscillating… wave thingamajigger?
Hmmm… this was a top-secret project of the Academy’s, was it not?

Remnants emit a wave undetectable by the naked ear. However, there is a Remnant that can sense these waves and use them to pinpoint a Remnant’s location.
So…?
The Conqueror clearly aims to take possession of every Remnant in the world. Our task is to get there and protect them before he can.
I see. That’s why this information was declassified.
Pretty important mission.
Yes. We’ll have to keep our wits about us. Rush, I’d like to ask your parents assistance with this. Will that be a problem?

I’m sure Mom and Dad would be happy to help.
Then we’ll return to Athlum immediately. Get ready to move out.
Yes, my Lord!
Oh man, I still haven’t had a chance to shop yet!

That’s not a bad idea, Rush. Let’s look around Elysion and see what people have to say.

Music: The Heaven’s Majesty (Elysion Theme)

Shopper Girl: If the Conqueror's army is still out there, Elysion will probably wind up a warzone... ...Now I'm dispirited, too! I don't even feel like shopping anymore...

Duke Ghor took over the Congress after Chairman Hermeien's passing. The Academy is going downhill, though. The silver lining is the banning of Hermeien's illegal Remnant experiments. Now they only undertake legitimate research.

The shop owners are down in the dumps.
Why?
Why, you ask? The shops in this market used to be funded by the Congress. But now that Chairman Ghor is in charge, the administrative types from Hermeien's reign are gone. Oh, well... I guess it wasn't fair that our town was getting special treatment in the first place.

Interesting, huh?
Less soldiers means less customers… Ah, well.

I heard rumors of people hanging around the strongholds at night and I decided to check it out for myself. That's when I saw Lord Hermeien, who supposedly died in the war!
Wait, really?
I've told a few people but no one believes me. But I know what I saw!

Ahh, the Academy's done for.
Why? I thought that things were getting better now that Hermeien and his nasty projects are gone?
Once the Congress found out Hermeien had a group doing underground Remnant research, not only did they disband it, but they cut funds for the rest of us as well. You can guess how well that went over... The only scientists left are the ones who are really passionate about what they do. I think I'm on my way out, too. I guess I'll go back home and marry the man my parents picked out after all.

Elegant Madam: Praying keeps their minds off of the hopelessness of an unknown future.

Countless souls must rest in the Sacred Lands now, due to the war brought on by the Conqueror's army. The Congress insists that the army no longer exists, but I'm worried that something like this will happen again. If it does, I just hope it doesn't happen any time soon. I want the souls to be able to rest in peace.
I wouldn’t count on it.

I've been praying at the temple every day. When I'm sad or frustrated, all I have to do is look at Lady Marion's face and everything just seems to fall into place.

I heard from some young'uns that the Gwayn went out of control and destroyed Nagapur! What if the Sacred Lands came raining down on us!? It IS a Remnant, after all... Maybe it's time for this old fogey to find a quiet town with a nice retirement home.
I hear Baaluk is nice, and safe too now that it’s Remnant is gone… well, maybe it’s safe…

Devoted Woman: So many lives have been lost... Everyone's worried about what's to come, but I have hope that we'll be alright. We have the Lady Marion with us. She will bring us a bright future. She must...

I think I've begun to understand why so many people come to places like this. The thought of some higher power like Marion Marshall watching over us really gives a sense of relief and security.

Lady Marion is always looking down upon us. She wishes our souls to always be at peace.

Elysion Guard: The Congress was a mess when Chairman Hermeien passed away. But now that the Duke of Ghor has taken his place, things have gotten a lot better. I hear that he was once a great warrior, and that he excels in politics as well.

To them, we must have a lifespan of mere seconds.

Rumor has it that Chairman Hermeien was using his powers to secretly research a way to turn Remnants into weapons. When that fell through, people began to leave the Academy. One of the reasons may have been the passing of the late Chairman, but the biggest reason was due to the Gwayn's actions. After the destruction it caused, everyone must have realized that Remnants can't be truly controlled by anyone.

Tourist: I rushed home when I heard about the Gwayn, but... My neighborhood was nothing but rubble.
I’m sorry.
Tourist: I hope the souls of those who perished made it to the Sacred Lands. Nothing would make me happier...

All right, let’s just check out the Academy and head out.

After Lord Hermeien passed, the Academy underwent some changes. Even Director Haruko was fired. She was so passionate and involved in the research. She was a great director... Then, a bunch of other people picked up and left of their own free will. I plan to stay, though. I need to find a way to prevent what happened in Nagapur from happening again.

The late Duke Hermeien was doing unmentionable things using the Academy as a cover. The weaponization and duplication of Remnants... It saddens me to think that my fellow scientists were such unethical people. I'll stay and find a way, though - a way for us to use Remnants for the good of the world.

Thanks to all this change, I have less say and less pay. But ehh, I guess I'll stay and continue my research.
Do you know what happens to a town which has a Remnant and loses it?

As far as I know, the land returns to its natural state. Harsh winds dry out the earth and vegetation just withers away. Sometimes volcanoes erupt and burn down entire towns. Or rivers overflow and flood the lands.
That sounds pretty bad.
But not all bad things will happen to every town. After all, there are towns that don't have Remnants. Like Eulam Island. I hear it's not supposed to be that bad of a place to live, even though it doesn't have a Remnant.
Okay, thanks, dude.
Say, why the question?
Well, Athlum lost the Valeria Heart to the Conqueror, and the Academy took Baaluk’s Remnant, the Brimslaubus.
Pardon me? The Academy doesn’t have the Brimslaubus.
It doesn’t? Are you sure?
Well, we’re still sorting out all the webs Hermeien had been weaving, but if we had that Remnant, we should have found it or at least news about it by now.
…That’s not good.
Indeed.

Female Shopkeeper: It seems the old folks in the temple district have much more zest nowadays.

Since Chairman Hermeien passed away, people have been filled with nothing but uncertainties. So, in times like this, my job as a protector of the people is even more important, right? This isn't the time to indulge in selfish dreams of going to the Sacred Lands.

I pray to Lady Marion every day that they never return.
You should probably pray faster. Like, a LOT faster. Hurry. Please.

Okay, let’s get out of here.

- Video: A Brother’s Regret

What’s goin’ on?
It looks like the tracking Remnant has already arrived.

So this is the Remnant. When will we be able to put it to use?
Right away!

I assume the lights represent the general locations of Remnants.
Yes. Right now it’s set to search only the Athlum area.
This light, here, must be the Gae Bolg.
That would be the case.

With a little more time, we can expand the detection range to the entire world. We can’t pinpoint the exact location of each Remnant, but we can get a general idea of where they’re located.
You’ve done more than enough. I am grateful for your assistance in this matter.
It’s my pleasure, although we’ll need a little more time to work out the kinks.

About what you mentioned earlier, I think we can specify the range if we change this thing here.
Hey, sis, didn’t expect to find you here.
I heard they needed all the help they can get, so I decided to make myself useful.

Don’t be stupid! Just stay away from Remnants, okay? You’re like a danger magnet when you’re near them!
But there’s a reason I’m doing this! You have to trust me, Rush!

You don’t know what I went through when you were gone! I can’t go through that again! I won’t!

Rush, calm down!

Hey!

In lieu of a response, Rush takes off at top speed.

Years ago when I was just a kid, Mom and Dad suddenly decided to go to the Academy. Left me in charge of Irina.

After they left, I took her to the woods nearby and left her there. I told her I’d come back for her later. She was always their favorite. I guess I was kinda jealous. I just wanted to scare her a little. It wasn’t far from the house, so I figured she’d come back on her own sooner or later.

I was wrong. And when it started to get dark outside, I got worried and ran back to get her.

She was still in the exact same spot I’d left her in. Just staring at some flowers. She was waiting for me to come back. All alone in the dark. She didn’t doubt me at all.

That’s when I realized something. I had to protect her. I decided never to betray her again. You better not mention this to her.
She’s not a child anymore. You mustn’t act like a babysitter.

Oh yeah? Well how am I supposed to act, then?
You must treat her with respect, as a fellow adult. Let her know she can count on you.
Respect, huh? Sounds… deep.

David and Rush start laughing at that.

Translation: Leave the castle and come right back to advance the plot. Which is what we’ll be doing next time, because this is a great place to stop.

This was a quieter than usual update. This game hasn’t really spent a lot of time on quieter character moments, surprisingly.

Discussion Question: Why do you think the Conqueror took the time to pop in and talk to Irina? What could he have said?

Video: Welcome back / Irina’s Plea
Video: A New Task
Video: A Brother’s Regret

We're about to embark on another huge streak of sidequests, BUT we'll also be getting some new party members!

Next Time: Is wittle Rush in a bad mood?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

He's just worried that Irina will be kidnapped again. I sympathize, considering there is now YET ANOTHER villain who can teleport.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SSNeoman posted:

He's just worried that Irina will be kidnapped again. I sympathize, considering there is now YET ANOTHER villain who can teleport.

Well I think he's appearance isn't teleportation, but just superhuman solid snake-ing his way through the city.
He just doesn't assassinate everyone or sneak everywhere because it's not his style, but Irina was important enough I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh no, that dastardly Hermeien was trying to figure out how to turn remnants into weapons! It would be awful if someone managed to use the giant floating doom cannon as a weapon.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
yup if there was still any doubt the conqueror lived through all of that, he just casually shows up to give Irina some advice. He also shows that he clearly doesn't need her, or have interest in her powers. Because he could have kidnapped her right there and instead chose it as the perfect time to give her information.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I like the scene with Irina because, until now, the Conqueror has been essentially just a juggernaut. He shows up and either gets what he wants or indulges in unstoppable violence and then gets what he wants. Then he just shows up to have a quick chat with Irina. No intimidation, no violence.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If I could punch down giant castle gates I would never enter a room through the door.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

At this point the Conqueror seems to be pretty much a total unknown. He showed up, he kicked rear end, and then he left without really revealing anything about himself.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Onmi posted:

yup if there was still any doubt the conqueror lived through all of that, he just casually shows up to give Irina some advice. He also shows that he clearly doesn't need her, or have interest in her powers. Because he could have kidnapped her right there and instead chose it as the perfect time to give her information.

Well, yeah, the Conqueror has never needed Irina. He's already special in his own right. In his first appearance, he bound the Ark, which was already bound to someone. Duke Olebeag even said that "he's just like Marion!" The Conqueror is indeed pretty much a total unknown. Almost every time you see him, you have to re-evaluate your perspective on him.

I'm basically out of prepared content at this point and will need to record some more bits. I think there will be a couple more sidequests to pick up new party members, and then I'll finally go gathering materials for my party offscreen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can appreciate that Rush has changed in the intervening months, but, uh, you'd think that he'd at least trust something about Irina to HER ACTUAL PARENTS WHO ARE RIGHT THERE AS WELL.

Then again he's got a lot of power and that must change the way he thinks about things.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Glazius posted:

I can appreciate that Rush has changed in the intervening months, but, uh, you'd think that he'd at least trust something about Irina to HER ACTUAL PARENTS WHO ARE RIGHT THERE AS WELL.

Then again he's got a lot of power and that must change the way he thinks about things.

Also his sister who he's trying to protect nuked a city and that can't be good for anyone.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Is the Conquerer's reasons for talking to Irina have to do with him wanting to tell Rush something a while back?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Also their parents have left them alone repeatedly for years on end. I'm pretty sure he considers himself to be far more responsible than them.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Is wittle Rush in a bad mood?

What are you talking about?
What am I talking about? Siebenbur, what else? They’ve found another entrance at the northern shore.

After visiting Fornstrand, talk to this guy to unlock the Second Path dungeon.

You must be Rush Sykes, are you not?
Depends on who’s asking.

Ha ha ha, you are as mischievous as ever, I see! I bring you a message from Lord David. He requests that you come to the castle at your earliest convenience.

- Video: Irina Joins

Irina looks away sadly.

I bring a message from Chairman Ghor.

The session of Congress will commence immediately!

That’s it?!
This is nothing unusual. They always seem to be held on the spur of the moment.

Will you be heading to Elysion? If that’s the case, could we send someone with you? I want to report our progress to the Academy.
Very well, who shall it be?
Let’s see… who should I send?
I have an idea. If you haven’t anyone in mind, how about sending Irina?

Irina’s been through a lot. I think she’s proved she can handle something important like this.

Sounds like a plan… if it’s all right with her. Irina, what do you say?

Yes! Of course I’ll go! Thanks, big brother!
Uh… yeah.

The Maximum number of units in your party is now 50.
Irina has joined the party.

:toot: At last, we have our final mandatory party member.

Irina was offscreen and kidnapped for all of Disc 1, but now in Disc 2, she really gets much of the focus. This is one reason why Emmy gets short-changed as a character – we never really spend much time with Emmy before Irina comes in and takes over the spotlight. Still though, they’re both good characters to have in your party. Let’s take a look at Irina now.

Irina Sykes

Rush's sister. Sweet and cheerful, but with a deep stubborn streak. Able to control Remnants through Marion's Blessing.

Class: Legendary Scholar
Initial BR: 64
HP: (719)
Str / Int: (31 / 66)

Current Arts
  • Two-Handed: (Double Strike II, Thunderclap)
  • Remedies: (Restore III, Refresh III, Rejuvenate II, Support, Kiss of Life)
  • Lotions: (Antivenin III, Eye Cream II, Throat Salve II, Invigoration Cream)
  • Traps: (Stun Trap III, Land Mine II, Retreat Flare)

Future Arts
  • Psionics @ BR 76
  • Shards @ BR 85
  • Unique 1: ???
  • Unique 2: ???

Comments
After the entire first half of the game dedicated to rescuing Irina, she finally joins the party. She starts out with Kiss of Life and a lot of Lotions, including Throat Salve, making her immediately useful.

Tags: Versatile, Healer, Items, Combat, Unique Arts, Lotions, Psionics, Shards, Arcana

The devs couldn’t be sure what BR you’d be by the time you got her, so they seem to have compensated by making her REALLY powerful. She starts out at BR 66, and the party is currently BR 31. She’s much more of a magic user and item arts user than a fighter, but her STR isn’t super-low compared to that of some other members.

17 AP a turn is massive for where we are now, and she has the third or fourth highest HP of the party. Her INT far outshines anyone else’s, and that speed is pretty good as well. She also starts out with a crap-ton of arts learned. Like Rush she has a Talisman, but right now it does nothing.

We've also now gotten our final party upgrade. The game, without modding, limits you to a max of 18 party members and 5 unions. I find this a little annoying. Not so much the limit of 18, but the limit of 5 unions. If you could have 6 unions on the field, you could field 6 unions of 3. I feel that the higher number of unions would probably be balanced out by their lower health, but oh well.

If Miss Irina wishes to come along as well, I have no complaints. She's proven herself to be a skilled researcher... much like her parents.
While Chairman Ghor does tend to act as soon as the idea hits, this sudden Congress session seems based on an actual emergency. Granted, this is all supposition based on what little can be gleaned from a visistone recording...
Geez Louise, that Duke Ghor is a friggin' slave driver! Doesn't he ever remember that Athlum is far from just about everywhere? Still, this time, the little missy's coming along, huh. Should be fun!
Did you see your sister's expression when you suggested she come along? I'd never seen her that happy. Seems she's wanted to be with you - or be accepted by you - for a while. Don't worry, we Generals aren't going to let anything happen to her!
Ever since her father recovered, Miss Irina has been quite engrossed in Remnant research. It seems the skill runs in the family. You and Miss Irina have grown so quickly! Ahh, to be young again...

While we could just go sidequesting now, it makes a little more story sense to hold off just a little longer. So, to Elysion.

- Video: An Even Briefer Congress

I will leave you to handle the Academy.

Hmmm… so it’s impossible to track all existing Remnants?
For the moment, yes. But if we adjust this, right here, I think we can increase the accuracy.

This way, we might be able to find Remnants that no one else has discovered yet.
You may be on to something! It’s definitely worth a try.
Great!

She’s a bright young lady!

Is wittle Rush in a bad mood?
You miss having her need you, don’t you?
Whatever.

…who knows what Remnants could be hiding under our noses. They could look like anything. Maybe even a mitra!

Hahahaha!
He he he! You have quite an imagination!

“Academy Visistone 30” posted:

[Remnants 30] An unproven theory suggests that Remnants are a type of life form.

The meeting over already?

It was cancelled. The Lords of Melphina, Balterossa, Royotia, and Celapaleis - none were present.
This cannot be a coincidence.
We have been asked to find out where they are, and why.
Ugh… the Duke of Ghor sure is a slave-driver.
We must leave immediately. As for you, Miss Irina…

That’s everyone except David and Ghor. (Baaluk has no lord). Not good at all.

I’ll go too!
But… that… well…

Mr. David, I beg of you, there has to be something I can do to help!

And… I don’t want to be scared of my power for the rest of my life.

*nods*
Alright, you may accompany us.

Emmy, I place you in charge of her. Teach her a few things about self-defense.

Yes, my Lord!

Thank you so much, Mr. David!

If I’d gone sidequesting immediately and then come here, this part wouldn’t have made much sense for two reasons. First, because it was an emergency summons from the Duke, and second because this here is where Rush and David officially consent to taking Irina with them on potentially dangerous missions.

Before we actually start doing any other missions, though, let’s pop over to Baaluk…

Head over to the Union of the Golden Chalice. There’s a unique leader who’s been available for half a year.

Gaou

Fabled warrior of the underworld. Wrathful and a lone wolf, but at times is quite kind to others.

Class: Hunter
Initial BR: BR 43
HP: (698)
Str / Int: (51 / 29)

Current Arts
  • Power Grip: (Smash III, Crossbreak III, Switchback II, Dragon’s Flight)
  • Lotions: (Antivenin III, Eye Cream III, Throat Salve II, Invigoration Cream II, Hartshorn)
Future Arts
  • Hexes @ BR 48
  • Traps @ BR 58

Comments
Gaou is notable mostly for his extensive list of known Lotions, which can make him very helpful at clearing status effects when a union is silenced. No quests associated or required.

Tags: Combat, Lotions

As soon as you entered the Aqueducts, Gaou became possible to recruit, but it didn’t make narrative sense to be heading off to Baaluk at that point. Gaou has no quests at all associated with him – nothing to recruit him for, but right now I have both Roberto and Rhagoh filling slots in the party, and he’s better than both. His stats are good, his arts are at a suitable decent level, and he’s got a bunch of helpful Lotions. Also, for this party, I’m recruiting all Unique Leaders which are reasonably available.

I know it’s a bit early, but I’m ending the update here. There’s a choice of sidequests I need you to vote on, and two of them would be pretty long on their own, too long to cram into this update as well.

You might notice that I'm one short of the max of 18 units. I've since moved Rhagoh from the bench to Blocter's Squad.

I updated the world map.

Discussion Question: Why didn’t the other Lords attend the Congress?

Something I forgot to mention a couple updates ago was that The Last Remnant has an “Attract mode” which plays if you let the game sit idle at the main menu. It has spoilers up to the destruction of Nagapur, which is why I haven’t posted it until now, but here it is:

- Video: Attract Mode

Irina Joins
An Even Briefer Congress
Attract Mode

Poll: We’re going to start picking up more party members soon. I may as well ask the viewers who should be joining in what order. Who should we recruit next:

Paris

Torgal’s Old Acquaintance

Surprise Mystery Guest

(The second place vote will be the second person we get, third will be the third place...)

Next Time: ???

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 10, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CatMan's bestest buddy
Paris.

So is Irina, gamplay wise, more like Rush or the opposite?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Rush, be careful! Your bro David might be trying to make some moves on Irina!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Rigged Death Trap posted:

CatMan's bestest buddy
Paris.

So is Irina, gamplay wise, more like Rush or the opposite?

What do you mean by that? We can't control her equipment and arts directly like we can for Rush, if that's what you're asking.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

What do you mean by that? We can't control her equipment and arts directly like we can for Rush, if that's what you're asking.

Well that's a bit disappointing, honestly.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Mystery guest! And then Mr. cat

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The Conqueror has them in a head lock. All of them at the same time. With one arm.

Paris
Buddy

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
Mystery Guest
Torgal's pal
Paris

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They are obviously having trouble with mumble mumble remnant something or other.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

8_Escape posted:

Mystery Guest
Torgal's pal
Paris

This

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Anything as long as Paris is dead last. Can't stand that guy's nasal voice one bit.

Also, my money's on the lords being busy with trying to stop the Conqueror from teleporting into their gardens to deliver mysterious off-screen shocking exposition to anyone there.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Irina was offscreen and kidnapped for all of Disc 2, but now in Disc 2, she really gets much of the focus.

I think you mean Disc 1.

EDIT: Mystery guest.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Irina is still a pretty awesome unit, and Gaou is bloody amazing as well. also I don't really mind the order we pick them up in so just on preference

Paris
Kitty

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think it's safe to call it for Mystery Guest, Torgal's Pal, and Paris in that order. Now with the Party Size increase to 18, we've got three more slots. Irina takes one, Mystery guest gets another. Rhagoh is obviously leaving after we get Mystery Guest. Torgal's Pal and Roberto are about even in terms of usefulness - they are okay physical fighters, but they have mostly item arts, and honestly I've never been a big item arts user. I can try that somewhat in this game, I have the money to splurge on items.

You may not care for Paris, but he's a pretty great character. If this was a first-time playthrough, he would be our first Psionics-using character, and those are really, really good, especially now that the battles will be getting tougher and morale becomes really important. So he'll probably be in as well.

This means someone has to go to the bench, and I think that'll probably be Baulson. He's served us well, but he was the first unique leader and even with all the stats from leveling up, he's still less strong than Gaou who is a brand new recruit. I'll probably do a bunch of swaps in and out and bonus videos, but we're going to have a lot of party members that we just don't have the space to use.

Also argh, I keep forgetting to post things. This should have been posted in the last update. Adding it in now.

“Academy Visistone 30” posted:

[Remnants 30] An unproven theory suggests that Remnants are a type of life form.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

I still have a long journey ahead.

Music: Life Without Remnants

The voting was pretty solidly in favor of Mystery Guest. That means we’ll be doing Emmy’s quest.

Old Lady Who Knows Emmy: Perhaps you can lend her an ear. She looked like she could use a friend.

!?

What’s up?

I just received a letter, challenging the head of the Honeywell clan to a duel.
What? Why?
Our family is known for being the greatest of warriors. People far and wide come to challenge the Honeywells.
So who wants to fight you?
Warrior Yerva... There isn't a soldier alive who doesn't know that name. This is my first duel defending the Honeywell name. I cannot afford to lose. Rush, will you come with me to witness the duel?
If you want me to.
Thanks, Rush. Let's head to Aveclyff. Watch over me, Mother.

Accepted quest: The Fated One

Music: Creeping Shadows

- Dungeon Video: Aveclyff

Someone challenged Emmy to a duel. Apparently, this is something she HAS to do. The opponent, warrior Yerva, is waiting in Aveclyff.

So we’re back in Aveclyff. If we hadn’t done Wisdom’s Echo, holding it off to allow for grinding would have prevented us from taking this one (and hence Mystery Guest). I’ve included a dungeon video because there’s very little fighting in it.

Fellow soldier. Make your way to the farthest room. That is where I shall wait. The elevation devices now function properly. They will help save your strength for when we duel.

The configuration of Aveclyff has changed now. More elevators are accessible and we can access all areas. The only trick is finding the path to get there.

It is well worthwhile to take a couple of minutes to survey the room and determine the path you need to take to get there. There is no “call button” for the manually-cranked elevators, which means you need to take a path which gets you to where they start out. This room is excellent for planning a path.

Our goal is the door on the far side of the top floor. Working backwards tells us how we can get there.

So very quickly, we’ve determined most of the path. We know a way to get to that elevator on the middle floor from our first trip.

This is the only elevator on the top floor we can reach, so let’s ride it all the way to the ground floor.

This one goes to the middle floor.

Pop in here, go one room over and we’ll be at the second floor elevator.

In my haste to get away from the angry vulture, I accidentally went down from here for a minute until I realized that was the wrong way.

Most people will never see the detail of Rush grimacing when cranking the elevator.

And I’m caught by a vulture.

Sometimes you get the bird, sometimes the bird gets you.

Hold still so I can tear you apart!

Gaou uses Huge weapons, which are Yama-Specific.

Because this is Emmy’s quest, she’s in the lead, and in fact this is the point where it becomes permanent, and Blocter won’t be leader of a union again.

How d’ya like that?

That came very close to reaching 20k damage alone.

class changed to Lordly Healer!

We just need to go down to floor 2 using the elevator to the left and then up, to that balcony.

Ha! Not today, bird!

This one I will fight.

Let’s see what Irina’s got.

Respectable, but not spectacular. Roberto’s Crossbreak can double that easily.

And we’ve finally made it to the top.

Just some G in the chest.

Hm? You seem very young, child. Do you claim to be Emma Honeywell, the head of the Honeywell clan?

Hrmph. I had my sights set on fighting a real soldier, not some child…
I understand your disappointment. However, you must see me fight before deeming me an unworthy opponent.

So, uh, should I just go wait outside or something?
You’re that Sykes kid, aren’t you? I’ve heard about you. My buddy down at the guild talked about you a bunch. He said he’d seen you fight. He was drat impressed, too. So no, kid, feel free to join in. I’ve brought enough warriors for everyone !

- Boss Video: Warrior Yerva

Mission: Defeat Warrior Yerva

Music: Beat the Odds

This is a tough fight. These enemies have a lot more health than you’d expect. I died on my previous attempt. I am of course underleveled, though. I order Rush to lower Morale, and send one union to every other union on the field.Yerva is Emmy’s.

Support is a buff on the Remedies line.

With some bad luck and I could lose several unions next turn.

The second round was inconclusive. They hurt us, but didn’t finish anyone, but I wasn’t able to take out any of them either.

David’s union goes down, but Rush was already on his way to heal him anyway.

Rhagoh goes down , but Emmy stays alive and can heal her union.

Unfortunately, despite Rush’s union being at full HP, him breaking deadlock to bring David back left him vulnerable to a Raidlock.

Ouch. I hope one of the spells is “Summon Chiropracter.”

Finally, one of their unions goes down.

If anything sneezes on Rush’s union, or if he had 7 fewer HP, it would be dead. So to the question asked in the thread, yes, HP can make a big deal, even if it’s not much HP. I’m pretty sure that Rush’s union can’t be saved, though.

Dave could use the Gae Bolg, but that feels like cheating, since this is Emmy’s duel. Instead, he’ll attempt to deadlock union B, revive Rush, and use some Mystic arts on Union B.

We’ll avenge you.

Emmy’s union revived and healed Irina’s union, and as a bonus, Darien brought Rhagoh back. But as expected, Rush’s union was toast. But since it was expected, David was already on his way to help someone, and brings Rush back immediately.

Very lucky block. Looks like things may be

Oh no!

…nevermind.

Good, this fight is beginning to bother me.

We’re generally in good shape, but this fight is tougher than it looks.

Nice move!

Rush’s union was unfortunately unable to reach Caedmon this turn.

Gaou hits really hard.

Music: Struggle Eternal

Finally, it’s all down to the big guy.

Very lucky.

I keep thinking that Spark V and Wind Shear IV are the only things that can trigger Blackout, I forgot that Permafrost I also qualifies.

It would have been nice if Emmy could have gotten the final kill, but that’s too random to be controlled, so this is good enough. This battle kicks us up to BR 32.

learned Addle IV!
class changed to Expert Marauder!
learned Hundred Flowers!

Emmy learns Hundred Flowers from winning this battle. It’s her first unique art, a series of sword slashes, but the downside is that it is only available once her union’s HP is in the critical range, and in this game, the line between critical and dead is a thin one.

I fought a fair battle. I have yet to live up to becoming one worthy of wielding this sword. I still have a long journey ahead.
Oh? Hahaha! You are young and yet so sensible. The future looks bright for you. You can find me in Virtus Parish in Athlum. My fellow mercenaries and I will be there if you need anything.

We kicked rear end out there… eh? What is it?
Will I ever surpass Mother? Everyone I talk to sees my mother in me. I understand, because I carry a big part of her with me. But will the day ever come when people see me for me?
Of course!
Thanks. I know that’s what Mother would want for me, too. Here. A little token of my appreciation. Thank you, Rush.

Let’s go.

Completed quest: The Fated One

That was great and all, but wait, I thought this was the update where we were supposed to get a new party member? It is. Let’s head to Virtus Parish.

They say there’s a secret passageway in through the back of Warrior’s Honor or something…

This guild door which has been teasing us since the start of the game is now open.

The Ring of the Labyrinth is the third and final distinct guild. It has its own separate set of guild tasks and its own ranking.

I’ve heard a young commander of Athlum has fought evenly matched with the warrior Yerva.
Yep.
To think that anyone here had such skill… I should like to meet swords with him as well.
Her, actually.

Weapons are a mirror to the soul. Likewise, a powerful sword in the hands of an inexperienced wielder will never reach its true potential.
Huh…
Remember, young one, weapons are not just tools to perfect techniques. They also serve to strengthen your will.

Some special tasks get different colours and are obscure to find. I believe I know where this one is, but there’s no way I’m showing it off for quite a while. In large part because I would get creamed right now.

Huh… that Yerva guy said someone here knew me. Who was he talkin’ about?
Rush!
Hey, kid.

You! You’re not gonna take Irina again!
Woah, relax! I ain’t here to take anyone! I’m done with all that!
What are you doing here?!!
When Nagapur got wrecked, I got to thinkin’ that it was kinda my fault.
I think it kinda was too.
I might be a mercenary, kid, but I ain’t completely heartless. I never wanted all those dead people hauntin’ my dreams.
If you really want to make up for what you did, then you’ll join us and help stop the Conqueror!
What? We can’t trust him!
When I was a prisoner, he was… well, not exactly nice, but at least less mean than the others. Besides, if we really can’t trust him, isn’t it better to keep him around so we can keep an eye on him?
Irina!

Well, the last time we met he couldn’t beat us in a fight, so we could beat him again if we needed to.

This I think is another misstep the game makes. There is absolutely no story devoted to rationalizing WHY Rush would hire Jager, who kidnapped his sister and was still fighting him in Nagapur. You just walk into the guild and hire him of your own free will. It might have been better if there was a sidequest with him before you could hire him, as a way to bridge the transition of “end of disc boss” to “trusted ally”.

Still, though, you really are going to want to hire him. His starting arts don’t look great, but he has a unique class, and he gets up to THREE unique arts. He’s also required for a quest later on. He’s a strong contender for a permanent party leader.

Jager

Ex-captain of the Third Commitee. Rough, but open and jovial. Bound to the Remnant Lob Omen.
(Voiced by Gerald C. Rivers)

Class: Vagrant
Initial BR: BR 41
HP: (1079)
Str / Int: (55 / 35)

Current Arts
  • Two-Handed: (Double Strike III, Thunderclap II, Cascade Strike)
Future Arts
  • Psionics @ BR 52
  • Explosives @ BR 65
  • ???
  • ???
  • ???

Comments
Here’s a surprise: Jager, the jerk who kidnapped Irina and kicked Rush in the face at the start of the game joins our party. I knew I liked something about him. He starts out with a boatload of HP and only one Combat Art category learned, but he gets a few devastating specials that more than make up for that and make him worth of a leader spot (because only leaders can use specials). Jager has the unique class Vagrant which grants him extra HP, Max AP, STR, and skill with combat arts. He’s also required for a sidequest, and can get a unique item. He’s recommended as a leader so he can make use of his powerful specials. If he’s not a leader, he can only use combat arts, and Psionics.

I know someone will ask about this, so I may as well say it. His description says he’s bound to the Lob Omen, but right now it is not available. That is what his quest is about, in fact..

Tags: Combat, Unique Arts, Psionics

New Arts Summary
class changed to Lordly Healer!
learned Addle IV!
class changed to Expert Marauder!
learned Hundred Flowers!

Discussion Question: Were you expecting Jager to be the surprise mystery guest party member? If not, then who?

Dungeon: Aveclyff
Boss: Warrior Yerva

Next Time: We were but a mere vigilante group

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 10, 2017

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I'm not sure who I expected the Mystery Guest to be, but it probably wasn't the guy that kidnapped Rush's sister and was actively fighting against him the last time we saw the guy.

That said, I like how Irina's team name is Irina and Friends :3:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

[i]This I think is another misstep the game makes. There is absolutely no story devoted to rationalizing WHY Rush would hire Jager, who kidnapped his sister and was still fighting him in Nagapur. You just walk into the guild and hire him of your own free will. It might have been better if there was a sidequest with him before you could hire him, as a way to bridge the transition of “end of disc boss” to “trusted ally”.

Discussion Question: Were you expecting Jager to be the surprise mystery guest party member? If not, then who?

I don't know, I kind of like that you can just surprise find him in the guild ranks and the fill-in-the-blanks of his description being "Ex-captain of the third committee". It seems like a perfect case of the player's experience matching Rush's. Does Rush and the player give him a chance because he was a tough customer in their previous fights, or does he ignore him because he was a jerk?

I was expecting some random character like Glenys, but this makes sense in hindsight. Who makes for a better surprise than a former enemy? (Hermeien would be the comedy option but he's a stupid dick)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

booksnake posted:

I don't know, I kind of like that you can just surprise find him in the guild ranks and the fill-in-the-blanks of his description being "Ex-captain of the third committee". It seems like a perfect case of the player's experience matching Rush's. Does Rush and the player give him a chance because he was a tough customer in their previous fights, or does he ignore him because he was a jerk?

I was expecting some random character like Glenys, but this makes sense in hindsight. Who makes for a better surprise than a former enemy? (Hermeien would be the comedy option but he's a stupid dick)

Jager shocked me to, but then he made up for it by being utterly hilarious in dialogue. He's also basically tailor made for a unique weapon that gives a Unique Arte and in general just one of the strongest leaders in the game.

GeneralYeti posted:

I'm not sure who I expected the Mystery Guest to be, but it probably wasn't the guy that kidnapped Rush's sister and was actively fighting against him the last time we saw the guy.

Irina is wonderful and should be a team leader from the moment you get her. Also I do like how you might go through and expect that she would be like most JRPG sisters, a caster-summoner. Nope, Swinging Swords and... I'm not sure it's been shown yet but basically getting Rush's Time-Stop ability.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay, colour me curious. I wanna see Jager in action. Neat that a villain's joining us.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I've recorded the next two sidequests, which will probably be one or two updates, after which I'll be putting off side-questing to do some :suicide: component hunting. I'll probably show off some new party configurations. And I'll probably take that opportunity to try and do the Ophelia sidequest.

GeneralYeti posted:

There are a lot of synonyms for "group", and this game works really hard at trying to find them all. It's cute. I can't promise I'll show them all, but I might have to do a bonus post with them all. Thankfully, those names are on the wiki.

Onmi posted:

Irina is wonderful and should be a team leader from the moment you get her. Also I do like how you might go through and expect that she would be like most JRPG sisters, a caster-summoner. Nope, Swinging Swords and... I'm not sure it's been shown yet but.

If you're unsure about whether it's been shown yet, you could have checked the whole one update (today's) since she joined the party to discover that no, it has not been shown yet. She is also a staff user, not a sword user.

Not to be a dick, I like the enthusiasm you bring to the thread and don't want to squash it... but you've kinda been walking the line of future-spoilers all thread long. No, it's not a major thing, but please, can you let me actually get to the point where the stuff shows up, thanks?

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 9, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I've recorded the next two sidequests, which will probably be one or two updates, after which I'll be putting off side-questing to do some :suicide: component hunting. I'll probably show off some new party configurations. And I'll probably take that opportunity to try and do the Ophelia sidequest.

There are a lot of synonyms for "group", and this game works really hard at trying to find them all. It's cute. I can't promise I'll show them all, but I might have to do a bonus post with them all. Thankfully, those names are on the wiki.

If you're unsure about whether it's been shown yet, you could have checked the whole one update (today's) since she joined the party to discover that no, it has not been shown yet. She is also a staff user, not a sword user.

Not to be a dick, I like the enthusiasm you bring to the thread and don't want to squash it... but you've kinda been walking the line of future-spoilers all thread long. No, it's not a major thing, but please, can you let me actually get to the point where the stuff shows up, thanks?

Apologies I'm not at an actual desktop today, but I should have just waited until I got home.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I remember Jager being really goddamn good. Then again, the game starts spoiling us for really goddamn good union leaders in the second half of the game and you don't have enough union leader slots for all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
From the sidequest I was expecting Yerva to be honest.

• Locked thread