Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muike posted:

raphael is really cool but they should've made a seravee II kit

hell i'd take a raphael dominions kit

I wish they had made a HG 3G Seravee. Then I could make one with like, ten SEMs without having to spend hundreds of dollars on rare Robot Damashiis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm using waterslides for the first time, on the ground war Zaku J. drat these are so much better than stickers.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

do people generally use the basic xacto saw blades? reviews mentioning that they only cut on the push have me kinda nervous.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The third part of Gunpla USA's RG 00 Raiser roundtable discussion is now up.

I love behind-the-scenes stuff like this so goddamn much, and Ebikawa's characterization of building the kit as an unfolding storyline in itself is oddly poetic.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

So I've been in a huge gunpla slump lately, and haven't built anything in my backlog (not like your backlog, it's like 4 kits or so and hasn't grown in a while). I finally sat down and started breaking down the Build Burning / Ez-SR kitbash I started a month or so ago. It's going to be called "Fist of the Joestar". It's basically A jojo posed Kenshiro with a stand made out of the other pieces (with leds that I've been having problems with)

Once I sand down the putty on a few parts it'll be ready for primer. I'm excited!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

In case you weren't convinced to get this kit ASAP already.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Welp, looks like I've got another thing to add to the unbuilt MG/RG pile.

Still would've liked regular Wing Fenice a bit more, though.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Looks nice, but I have other MG kits I want first.

Plus, I still need to watch GBF and see it in action to really appreciate it. :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The end result of my club's Hi-Mock build:

Of the five participants, only three "finished". Of those three, only one actually finished.

also exias

lots of them

setsuna must be in heaven

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
How good is the acrylic tamiya gold leaf for creating a good gold finish?
I got a HG Phenex and I want to airbrush that ugly vomit gold over.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TaurusOxford posted:

It'll be my first MG, just like Fenice was my first gunpla.

Meanwhile, I finished the Crossbone x1 Full Cloth GBFT version. I like it but the front flaps are kind of flimsy and loosen very easily, and the shoulders tend to detach if I try to pose it, so I have to be content with the fact that it'll be standing weaponless.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

chumbler posted:

Welp, looks like I've got another thing to add to the unbuilt MG/RG pile.

Still would've liked regular Wing Fenice a bit more, though.

Just buy an MG Wing with the Fenice and frankenstein the kits together. Every part of the Wing that was destroyed and replaced in the Wing Fenice was actually just a Fenice Rinascita part, with the Wing Fenice representing various stages of transition.

If anything, I'm super sad that they didn't have him do more transitional states over the course of the show, but there's really only 1 chance they could have done it (after the SBS fight) and it would downplay the fact that it's a 10-year-old HG that keeps getting rebuilt over and over again if it changes too much over 25 episodes.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
What version of the 00 Raiser is the best version?

Also, I may have stumbled across a great idea by way of a typo when texting a buddy of mine..

"Are you going to pick up the HG Neon Zeong?"

Now I just want to see a Gundam rave party. day-glo fur boots, LED pacifiers, cyberpunk fishnet stockings, the works.

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 29, 2015

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

slightpirate posted:

What version of the 00 Raiser is the best version?

You really can't go wrong with either the RG or the MG - go with whatever fits your budget/scale preference better and you'll be more than satisfied.

Also for you Chogokin fans, SOC GaoGaiGar is getting an October re-release. Pre-orders are already up on AmiAmi and HLJ:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-007554-S001&page=top
http://hlj.com/product/BAN991023/Sci

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TaurusOxford posted:

You really can't go wrong with either the RG or the MG - go with whatever fits your budget/scale preference better and you'll be more than satisfied.
Hell, the HG 00Raiser+GN Sword III kit is also really nice. The only non-great 00raiser kit is the 1/100 NG.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I have the mg 00 raiser and I think it's a really good kit, but I've heard nothing but great things about the RG kit. Really I don't know why it took them so long to think of a locking mechanism for attaching the 00 raiser to the shoulder binders.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just finished MG GM 2.0

What a great little kit :3:

Like all the other 2.0s, it just so solid and so much fun to pose. Plus it even comes with the sticker decals to make it Jack the Halloween's, or part of White Dingo!

Since I'm going Fed/Zeon/Fed/Zeon, next is either MG Dom or MG Gouf 2.0

(e): lovely phone camera pic:

Look at how adorable the little out of scale Dom is! :v:

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 29, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I've got some free time this weekend, and two unpainted MG Unicorns sitting around on my shelf that I want to do something with. One's the Phenex that I got just for the psychoframe and I'm not happy with the shiny gold finish on it, and the other is my original hosed up FA Unicorn. I'd rather not paint over the psychoframes I have (one green, one gold), so might as well ask for some opinions.

I was thinking maybe a red with gold psychoframe, but I'm terrible at mentally matching colors, so getting opinions would be helpful.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Red and gold works well together. Purple and gold too.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I've seen some gold & red Phenexeses and think they look super-tacky, but YMMV.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

AstraLunaSol posted:

Tamiya gold leaf doesn't look that great, it ends up looking pretty brassy. I think some Alclad II Pale Gold is more what you're looking for.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've always had good luck painting gold by using a silver/ chrome base coat and than just painting a clear orange/yellow mixture over it.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

BlitzBlast posted:

Any more pics of that yellow mock? It looks really good.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

AstraLunaSol posted:

It is good.

But what your heart desires,
is gaia color star bright gold

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks for the tips, Gaia may take ages to get here, alclad seems to be more obtainable, may try that out.
Though I wonder how gold leaf+clear yellow would work.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
And the Tricky Pack and High Torque Pack get RDs but no HGs too. Damnit Bandai

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Looks like they peppered little gold details all over to try and make it look a little more coherent. Kind of meh on it, but holy crap look how big the combined gun is now. drat thing is practically a lance.

The PG for comparison.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 30, 2015

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I like that the g-arcane can equip all of its lasers at once. maybe if it had happened in the show it would have actually hit someone

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
As impressive as it looks, rumor says that it's going to be priced at 35,000 yen. That's....kind of a lot.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I like how it looks, but there is no way i'll ever spend that money on a SF. (I might consider a restyled MG or the RG)

Lanz
May 30, 2013
E mi et le escontina
O plenitas o colindia

Mi mortis sicle ha juus costro
Mawe poco entalius

E mi et le di fenité
Gledis clant o pledistiant

Enti lai viginsé lescayan
Mawe poco es vienticlo

Taan ma taan la la la, la la lu
Plaute tai mi fai o gunema
(mundiana mundiana)

Taan les tai la la la, la la lu
Morie taan mi fai es volta

Taan ma tai la la la, la la lu
Plaute taan mi fai o co …

Mi mo …
Tra taan …

Wound up going with the 1/144 HGCC since I was able to put that an a kindle book together on a leftover giftcard. Thinking I'll want to panel line it, but want to get a set of gundam markers that *arent'* from a 15+ old weathering marker set [somehow the black marker is still good?] for it. Thinking this set:
http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Creos-Gundam-Marker-Markers/dp/B0009AFN4Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1432949701&sr=8-8&keywords=Gundam+Marker

anyone know if the green would be a good shade for the Turn A symbol for the head?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I used the base green Gundam marker for the turn A logo on my MG. Mix a bit of yellow and white in for the show-accurate look.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

you should really trim the safety nubs off turn a's glorious stache,

also gundam marker's aren't really meant for panel lining. Get a micron felt pen or do a panel line wash.

systemchronos
Apr 11, 2015

Ka0 posted:

It is good.

But what your heart desires,
is gaia color star bright gold

Is the tamiya good if handbrushed ?

I've been handbrushing Mr. Hobby aqueous silver and the result is poo poo.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

What grades of sandpaper do I need if I'm just trying to smooth out nubs?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Parallax posted:

What grades of sandpaper do I need if I'm just trying to smooth out nubs?

Like five or six different grits between 600 and 3000, iirc. I'm probably wrong, so I'll wait for others to correct me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've got 600/800/1000/1200/1500/2000 and usually don't even use 600

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

dogsicle posted:

i've got 600/800/1000/1200/1500/2000 and usually don't even use 600

This is what I do but I start by using a file and end with a 3000 sponge, and I don't use the 1200

Monaghan posted:

also gundam marker's aren't really meant for panel lining. Get a micron felt pen or do a panel line wash.

idk the fine tip GM01 works great for me. The only thing I've had trouble with were the nanometer panel lines on the legs of my RG rx-78-2.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Monaghan posted:

what's the best way to get them off? I didn't realize they were safety nubs and thought they were part of the sculpt for this version (since I noticed it deviated in some other ways from the TV design, like the shoulder sculpting)

EDIT: TIps on the ends right? Manual shows them on in the completed pics
EDIT: Wait, got what you mean now; not sure why it took me so long to realize "safetly from the sharp pointy bits" instead of like some weird nib to keep the piece safer from breaking

Lanz fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

BlitzBlast posted:

I love that Daisoujou mock