Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Macaluso posted:

Make Geralt's regular movement not suck in the first place. To me a lot of the problem with combat is because the movement in the game itself is awful. I'd have given up on the game if so much else wasn't so good. If the world and characters weren't so engaging and if the game weren't so ridiculously pretty the frustrating controls would've done me in.

Funny enough, I find the controls during combat a bit easier than out of combat.

How I'd improve them? I'd like his movements to just be as simple as "press forward, go forward" instead of "press forward, take a bigass huge step forward. Wiggle yourself to the spot you want to be". Also let Geralt ride a skateboard instead of a horse

Been playing a bunch of this game and I heartily agree with this post. I actually feel like the flow of combat is pretty spectacular and well done (playing on the PS4 if that matters), but outside of combat everything feels kinda wonky and tedious to control.

Also, it's a drat shame you can't get a proper Gwent deck for anything that isn't Northern Kingdoms to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

Arrrthritis posted:

Also, it's a drat shame you can't get a proper Gwent deck for anything that isn't Northern Kingdoms to start with.

I wish there was a Gwent NG+. I've stuck to Northern Kingdoms this whole time and will probably stick to it through the end of the game just because it's easy for me at this point. I'd be cool with losing all my other gear and abilities if I could just start with a different deck next playthrough.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Arrrthritis posted:

Been playing a bunch of this game and I heartily agree with this post. I actually feel like the flow of combat is pretty spectacular and well done (playing on the PS4 if that matters), but outside of combat everything feels kinda wonky and tedious to control.

Yeah, I've been playing a lot of Gwent and have done all the gwent missions in Velen and Novigrad other than the high stakes tournament as well as buying cards wherever I can find them and I STILL don't have enough unit cards for anything other than the Northern Kingdoms. It's really stupid because Gwent is really fun and the game should be encourage you to experiment with different decks instead of locking you into one unless you want to put a ton of time into it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Apparently there's a quest that rewards a sword that is scaled to your level. Which one is that, so I can avoid doing it too early?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Apparently there's a quest that rewards a sword that is scaled to your level. Which one is that, so I can avoid doing it too early?

I don't know for sure but I'd guess it's one you get for a smith in Novigrad. Name of the mission is something like "Of Swords and Dumplings"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's really not worth waiting for it. The sword isn't that great at any level and you're passing up the chance to use your Master-level blacksmith early.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, what exactly is a good combat/signs/alchemy build at higher levels? Say, 20-25 or so? I've gone mostly dilletante so far and am kinda stumped.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Yeah just keep in mind that it's a pretty high level quest so the enemies will be hard to take out if you try it early. My method for overcoming this was to use the mind control spec of axii which lets you turn those high level enemies against each other, then you just have to wipe up the last survivor.

Magni posted:

So, what exactly is a good combat/signs/alchemy build at higher levels? Say, 20-25 or so? I've gone mostly dilletante so far and am kinda stumped.

I'm playing on Blood and Broken Bones and generally if I'm going up against a high level enemy I'll stick some swallow and thunderbolt in my quick slots and then use whatever signs are most appropriate. I like the yrden sign a lot, especially level two which will drop what amounts to a stationary turret on the ground, staggering enemies that come near and doing a decent amount of damage. Really, all the signs seem pretty decent, except for Aard which I have yet to find a good use for.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 30, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There was a quest I got from Crach an Craite which ended with him giving me a sword that was passed down in his family for generations. I tried to refuse, but he insisted. I think I ended up selling it to the blacksmith across the bridge because it was 10 points below the sword I already had.

The item scaling can be dumb sometimes but I guess not everyone likes crafting.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

Greenplastic posted:

I'm so happy I'm thick skinned when it comes to annoyances like that. I notice a lot of the same things (like Roach constantly getting stuck) but they just never get under my skin. It was the same with Destiny for me. It allows me to appreciate all the amazing parts while pretty much ignoring the bad ones. I'm blessed. Witcher 3 Game of the Year!

Couldn't have put it better myself. Peoples criticisms are totally valid but I'm quite happy to continue not giving a poo poo while I play my monster hunting/peasant misery simulator game.

I can't wait to see what they do with that Cyberpunk game. :stare: Bioware are gonna have to come up with some magical poo poo to ever grab my attention again.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Greenplastic posted:

I'm so happy I'm thick skinned when it comes to annoyances like that. I notice a lot of the same things (like Roach constantly getting stuck) but they just never get under my skin. It was the same with Destiny for me. It allows me to appreciate all the amazing parts while pretty much ignoring the bad ones. I'm blessed. Witcher 3 Game of the Year!

Well, to be fair, I am adoring the game, my post that set this (age-old, I'm sure) debate alight again this afternoon was merely a statement of "AGGGHHH loving gently caress THIS JANKY COMBAT I KEEP DYING!"

Just a moment of frustration. I stand by my opinions of it being fundamentally bad (the movement/combat) but I am still quite enamored with the game at large.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh yeah, here's a question from the VERY beginning of the game I forgot about. After you kill the Gryphon, and you see the cutscene play out where the dude gave the dudes rotten rye, is there any way to save the dude when he's being whipped?

I ran around that place way back when and couldn't ever figure out a way in to where I think he was, as there was a locked door. So I was curious if there was ever actually a way in there or not.

edit: said dude a lot

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Krogort posted:

Why does Geralt uses his silver sword against the Wild Hunt guys ?
It always trouble me, they seems very much flesh and bone inside their thick armor.

Because it's not for "monsters", it's actually for "aliens".

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Oh yeah, here's a question from the VERY beginning of the game I forgot about. After you kill the Gryphon, and you see the cutscene play out where the dude gave the dudes rotten rye, is there any way to save the dude when he's being whipped?

I ran around that place way back when and couldn't ever figure out a way in to where I think he was, as there was a locked door. So I was curious if there was ever actually a way in there or not.

edit: said dude a lot

The guy provided rotten rye, it's just justice man. :dealwithit:

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
Did that White Orchard vendor nearest the fast travel signpost keel over for anyone else? His vendor icon is still there but the dude is splayed out on his back and not interactable for me. I'm way past caring about the DLC armor but I don't think this was supposed to happen, and he fell over long before I finished White Orchard so I don't know wtf.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What's up with that big *ss tree on the edge of Velen? I can't actually circle around it to find a way up the hill, is it the Tree of the World or something?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

What's up with that big *ss tree on the edge of Velen? I can't actually circle around it to find a way up the hill, is it the Tree of the World or something?

It's part of an end game quest.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah, I've been playing a lot of Gwent and have done all the gwent missions in Velen and Novigrad other than the high stakes tournament as well as buying cards wherever I can find them and I STILL don't have enough unit cards for anything other than the Northern Kingdoms. It's really stupid because Gwent is really fun and the game should be encourage you to experiment with different decks instead of locking you into one unless you want to put a ton of time into it.

Beat anyone you can play and they give you a card the first time. I have too many cards and have to keep them around 28 for each deck to win. Running around to every town and playing everyone is a pretty good way to get all the fast travel spots too. The Nilfgaard deck seems to be the best so far for me, btw.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I just got the main quest "Ugly Baby" which requires me to leave Skellige. Does the story return there later or should I do what quests I'm able to now?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 30, 2015

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

How is this possible? I'm level 15, have just scratched the surface of Novigrad's missions and already played plenty of matches with Nilfgaard and the Scoia'tael.

My Scoia'tael deck is still a bit weak, but I managed to beat Zoltan and some others with it. Nilfgaard deck is pretty strong already with lots of good special unit cards, although I haven't found any of the spies yet. Still missing 8-10 unit cards from the Monsters deck.

Also, where do I find Thaler's card?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Wow, Skellige is bigger than I expected, and it really does feel different than Velen.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Meta-Mollusk posted:

How is this possible? I'm level 15, have just scratched the surface of Novigrad's missions and already played plenty of matches with Nilfgaard and the Scoia'tael.

My Scoia'tael deck is still a bit weak, but I managed to beat Zoltan and some others with it. Nilfgaard deck is pretty strong already with lots of good special unit cards, although I haven't found any of the spies yet. Still missing 8-10 unit cards from the Monsters deck.

Also, where do I find Thaler's card?

I'm in a similar boat. I have amazing cards for Northern Kingdoms but I've never come across anything good for the others save for a couple heroes.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I just discovered a troll who joined the army, and he sings. Please tell me there are more than just him and Bart.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My only problem with Gwent is I can't find anymore 8 strength cards or anything stronger than that. I beat the Baron and the Soothsayer. The Boatwright is a motherfucker though and kept laying down 10 strength cards like he had a whole deck of them. I have had better luck taking the weather cards out of the equation and relying on my spies/decoys though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Swedish Horror posted:

I just discovered a troll who joined the army, and he sings. Please tell me there are more than just him and Bart.

There are some more rock and ice trolls you can talk to. They're all good.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sankis posted:

I just got the main quest "Ugly Baby" which requires me to leave Skellige. Does the story return there later or should I do what quests I'm able to now?

Keep going. The game will give you a heads up when you have to stop screwing around with sidequests.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Swedish Horror posted:

There's a cave on Skellige with three trolls where they argue with each other and are also quite flatulent. Then they try to kill you and yell "Uman! Food!" Trolls are the best.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gonkish posted:

There's a cave on Skellige with three trolls where they argue with each other and are also quite flatulent. Then they try to kill you and yell "Uman! Food!" Trolls are the best.

Those aren't just any random farting trolls either. Look at their names :)

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Because it's not for "monsters", it's actually for "aliens".

silver is not necessarily for monsters but more for the stuff created by the reality warping that brought monsters into the world, so that would probably include things like magic which is why you would use a silver sword against sorceresses and wild hunt guys etc and not just griffons. i dont know if fighting another witcher would qualify for this, they seem kind of half and half but i guess the wild hunt guys are in that territory too. did you use the silver sword in the letho fight?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Swedish Horror posted:

That troll is even more adorable than the ones in the second game. :3: Also a great singer, and an amazing painter to boot.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Mr. Unlucky posted:

silver is not necessarily for monsters but more for the stuff created by the reality warping that brought monsters into the world, so that would probably include things like magic which is why you would use a silver sword against sorceresses and wild hunt guys etc and not just griffons. i dont know if fighting another witcher would qualify for this, they seem kind of half and half but i guess the wild hunt guys are in that territory too. did you use the silver sword in the letho fight?

What oil works against those guys? I don't think the Bestiary ever said.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So my save games suddenly won't load because they insist I don't have the beard DLC installed. Has this happened to anyone else?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Macaluso posted:

Those aren't just any random farting trolls either. Look at their names :)

Are they the trolls from the hobbit???

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've spent a ton of time and money collecting the materials for some badass armor to replace the suit I've had for almost the entire game...only to realize I can't even equip it for 8 more levels :negative:

Oh well, guess I'll just stare at it longingly.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
"This is the best heifer in the region. Saggy udders? You must be confusing her with your wife!"
"WHAT?! I demand satisfaction!"
"Again, you'll have to look to your wife."

Like, having spasms of laughter.
However all these Novigrad merchants that don't actually sell anything need to be burned in the eternal fire.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Thunderbro posted:

Don't try to double team two best friend sorceresses.

Well duh, you'd need four guys for that. :confused:

THBBBT HAW HAW HAW

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Sankis posted:

You can freely fast travel between Velen and Skellige (and White Orchard and Vizima) after first going there. That quest isn't even close to the end game, but the game warns you when you're not going to be able to move around freely for a while.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

It's where the Wild Hunt traditionally "stops"; you learn this in the Witcher 2 cartoon flashback cinematics where Geralt, Letho and Co. are chasing the Wild Hunt.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Are treasure hunt quests supposed to give experience? I finished the cat quest and didn't get any xp. Was curious if I'm affected by the bug or not. Was doing the Gwent quest and getting 25 xp here or there. I guess my main problem is being unsure when I should and shouldn't be getting xp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I'm still loving about in Skellige, which I love dearly. There have been quite a few of them already in RPGs but this particular wintery nordic setting is quite enchanting... maybe it's the Irish accents?

But I am wondering for anyone who might know (Skellige main quest spoilers I guess?) who is Ermion meant to be? It is mentioned that he tutored Ciri but I am completely blanking on him if he was in the books and I can't find anything on the wiki and his in-game bio isn't particularly enlightening. Was he around in the books or is he meant to be Mousesack unless he is meant to turn up too at some point.