Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Quovak posted:

The modding community needs to make a Watch_Dogs / Earth Defense Force mashup.

Why does the Spider Tank have six legs?

two are guns..??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Man I want a Spider-Tank game now.

notoriousman posted:

"Everything runs off of computer chips these days." Including, y'know, grenades. A device whose sole purpose is to explode, destroying itself and whatever circuitry payload it's carrying. They also seem to have their own wireless ad-hoc network because why not.

I'd like to imagine the ctOS guards are jailbreaking these things to load MP3s on them.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Adnor posted:

Man I want a Spider-Tank game now.

If MGS4 actually ended like that,it would have been 20x better than the actual product. But then Kojima would say that the guy was able to jailbreak his gun because nanomachines,which,in his little world,are magic and do everything. Still better writing than Watch_Dogs (not for lack of trying).

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

VolticSurge posted:

If MGS4 actually ended like that,it would have been 20x better than the actual product. But then Kojima would say that the guy was able to jailbreak his gun because nanomachines,which,in his little world,are magic and do everything. Still better writing than Watch_Dogs (not for lack of trying).

Johnny is the hero MGS4 deserves.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can you carry corpses incapacitated bodies?

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Does the game actually gain anything from being set in Chicago? It seems like licencing rights and the need to design a gameworld they were forced to piss away anything specificly 'Chicago' and make a GTA style knock-off city anyway.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Sorry but anything that interrupts Ocelot in that scene would not make MGS4 better.

Gnomebitten
Mar 31, 2011

Shave Early. Shave Yourself.

Chip Cheezum posted:

The best plans of uncles and hackers often go awry.

The History of Chicago: Episode 1.....Baldurdash.....Download

I was willing to put up with the charade in the videos that Ironicus actually lives in Chicago as some kind of a joke or act like you've done in LPs before, but if you're trying to tell me you people actually think that Chicago actually exists and want me to believe that then you are a fool for thinking I am a fool. It's fine for the game to pretend that Chicago exists because its a piece of fiction but anything beyond that is the realm of pure fantasy.

Rated 1, unsubscribed, get your act together sirs.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

What is Clara's accent, exactly? It's so weird.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

French?

(likely French-Canadian, given it's Ubisoft.)

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Spider Tank is super fun but it actually triggers my arachnophobia which is not super fun.

Not enough love being shown for the history of Chicago video. Which for some reason reminded me of Drunk History. I really don't get these associations my mind makes, but I think it's trying to say Ironicus should be on Drunk History.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Grapplejack posted:

Quebecois French. You can tell by how ridiculously Catholic the swearing is!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

(likely French-Canadian, given it's Ubisoft.)

Yeah it's supposed to be French-Canadian. She even uses chalise as a swear.
Her VA can't really keep it up, so it sounds all over the place in parts.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Her VA, the French-Canadian?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Guys there is another Digital Trip that is more absurd than Spider Tank. I didn't see it in the list when Chip was talking to the dealer so maybe it unlocks later or is pre-order exclusive or somthing? I won't mention it in case it does unlock later and people can see just how....strange it is considering you are playing as just Aiden himself.

Speaking of the dealer, he is completely useless since you can access all D-Trips through your phone! The dealers are a remnant of when they were planning on having you actually buy them as like a pill or something i guess? But then one of the 10 million people working on this game goes "hey guys these minigames are kinda fun, lets not have the players have to search out a vendor to get a one time play out of them" so they dropped the mechanic but either didn't care or didn't have enough time to erase all of the vendors from the map before launch.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 30, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

notoriousman posted:

"Everything runs off of computer chips these days." Including, y'know, grenades. A device whose sole purpose is to explode, destroying itself and whatever circuitry payload it's carrying. They also seem to have their own wireless ad-hoc network because why not.

I'd like to imagine the ctOS guards are jailbreaking these things to load MP3s on them.

Finally, we have another universe besides Metal Gear Solid where you can feasibly hand someone a single MP3.

Ipod songs just pop right out of people in the MGS universe! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csj7maWpZsY

He's got the music in him.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Why does the Spider-Tank have only six legs?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Insect-Tank didn't have the same ring to it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Yes, we all love Spider Tank. Spider. Tank. Two great tastes that taste great together, right? Well, but I have a bone to pick with it. Why is the Spider Tank minigame a 'digital trip' instead of, let's just say, an unusually realistic mobile phone game?

This 'digital trip' clearly involves full on body-paralysis-inducing virtual sensations. Perhaps it's at illicit or dangerous levels, and it's regulated, but the technology clearly exists. That's fine, lots of science fiction uses that; I'm not arguing against it being implausible. But think about it: can you imagine how absolutely world changing that technology would be? What it would mean for the world economy, for the status quo? I mean, why go to Grizzlebees and spend money for that Double Pancake Hamburger Pie when you can just simulate eating it? Why work hard at anything when you can pretend to be anyone you want? Why date human females and create babies when you can engage in endless consequence-free depravity forever? Why go anywhere ever? Sometimes technophiles and phobes talk about how some inventions will change everything, but I don't consider it to be hyperbole in this case. Of course, that's why sci-fi that uses it normally has it play an important part in world. Again, it's not that these questions don't have answers. The problem is that this game is entirely uninterested in these questions. This technology doesn't seem to have any influence on the world of the game besides the minigames. (I haven't played the game, so I could be wrong, but it sure doesn't seem like it.)

The problem is not that people would use this type of paradigm-destroying technological revolution for vidja james. People will use amazing technology for stupid things, such as me using the internet to bitch about stupid poo poo in bad video games. The problem is that the lazy narrative has the consequence that we must assume people are only using it for that.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Was that a video-editing thing or did Aiden wake up from his d-trip at a completely different location from where he first collapsed :ohdear:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

SSNeoman posted:

I hope she starts yelling Simonak and Tabernak or whatever when she gets upset.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...How the gently caress do Digital Trips even work in this universe? Aiden, like, tweaks his ear or something and then starts tripping balls. Is this Ghost In The Shell? Are we all cyborgs now? Because if we're all cyborgs I demand some actual superpowers up in this poo poo.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

I dunno, Blood Dragon's pretty great.

I agree, and if I remember rightly that was a one off with a one off studio...

Also, it is COMPLETELY impossible for Aiden to avoid the cat piss, isn't it? I keep hoping and I keep getting disappointed/

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Spiritus Nox posted:

...How the gently caress do Digital Trips even work in this universe? Aiden, like, tweaks his ear or something and then starts tripping balls. Is this Ghost In The Shell? Are we all cyborgs now? Because if we're all cyborgs I demand some actual superpowers up in this poo poo.

They only work on Aiden. No one's really quite sure why, he's just like that.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Be fair to Kojima, the ending of MGS4 isn't the ending he wanted. Not even close.

Magnetic North posted:

Yes, we all love Spider Tank. Spider. Tank. Two great tastes that taste great together, right? Well, but I have a bone to pick with it. Why is the Spider Tank minigame a 'digital trip' instead of, let's just say, an unusually realistic mobile phone game?

This 'digital trip' clearly involves full on body-paralysis-inducing virtual sensations. Perhaps it's at illicit or dangerous levels, and it's regulated, but the technology clearly exists. That's fine, lots of science fiction uses that; I'm not arguing against it being implausible. But think about it: can you imagine how absolutely world changing that technology would be? What it would mean for the world economy, for the status quo? I mean, why go to Grizzlebees and spend money for that Double Pancake Hamburger Pie when you can just simulate eating it? Why work hard at anything when you can pretend to be anyone you want? Why date human females and create babies when you can engage in endless consequence-free depravity forever? Why go anywhere ever? Sometimes technophiles and phobes talk about how some inventions will change everything, but I don't consider it to be hyperbole in this case. Of course, that's why sci-fi that uses it normally has it play an important part in world. Again, it's not that these questions don't have answers. The problem is that this game is entirely uninterested in these questions. This technology doesn't seem to have any influence on the world of the game besides the minigames. (I haven't played the game, so I could be wrong, but it sure doesn't seem like it.)

The problem is not that people would use this type of paradigm-destroying technological revolution for vidja james. People will use amazing technology for stupid things, such as me using the internet to bitch about stupid poo poo in bad video games. The problem is that the lazy narrative has the consequence that we must assume people are only using it for that.

I feel like that whole thing was an overdone nod to GitS. No need to think about it so hard.

Still, you raise interesting points. My answer to that is that tech would be absurdly difficult to develop, so you couldn't use it for mundane things. But in a world where creating your own such trips was a normal thing... that would be a strange world to exist in. It almost feels like engineered solipsism.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Precambrian posted:

Was Aiden just writhing on the sidewalk making machine gun noises and muttering that he has two minutes to kill 15 cops?
He woke up in a different place.

ViggyNash posted:

There will never be a good GitS game, and I don't know if I want one.

But holy poo poo Spider Tank is loving amazing. That's a game I definitely want to exist.
I remember the PS1 game where you played a fuchikoma being pretty cool.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ninjahedgehog posted:

The other two legs belong to the pilot.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Clara's VA is so horrible it's making me hate her character as a whole, and I've only heard her talk for about 2 minutes so far. Goddamn. :stare:

Kibayasu posted:

Her VA, the French-Canadian?

Is that why she sounds like she's never spoken English before in her life? (If it's actually the case that she's not used to speaking English, you'd think they could find someone more suited to, y'know, reading a script in English.)

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Suspicious Cook posted:

The other two legs belong to the pilot.

I refuse to believe the pilot of the spider tank is anything other than an actual spider. :colbert:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I preferred Badboy17's voice over Clara by a long way. The voice modulation did a lot to actually aid the delivery, I guess just by hiding the inconsistencies.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Clara's VA is so horrible it's making me hate her character as a whole, and I've only heard her talk for about 2 minutes so far. Goddamn. :stare:
Worse than Aiden's Batman impression?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

ninjahedgehog posted:

Don't question the Spidertank.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

It's a veteran.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's because it's a Tachikoma rip-off, and they also had six legs.

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Again, I think it's supposed be an audio thing like I linked before. maybe he has a Bluetooth? That would explain some stuff, but it wouldn't explain IT NOT BEING IN HIS EAR.

Wild Knight posted:

Spider Tank is super fun but it actually triggers my arachnophobia which is not super fun.

Not enough love being shown for the history of Chicago video. Which for some reason reminded me of Drunk History. I really don't get these associations my mind makes, but I think it's trying to say Ironicus should be on Drunk History.

I wanted to think of a way to thank General Ironicus without sounding like a tool but I couldn't. Somehow you managed to not sound douchy so I probably just wasn't trying hard enough. Great work Ironicus. I can't wait for the next one and it strikes a very nice feel between professional level editing, concise interesting facts, and a wonderful conversational tone that keeps me listening and not feeling like I'm in a classroom.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Spider Tank is a better protagonist than Aiden.

"So, we finally meet, Tider-Spank89."
"YOU HAVE TWO MINUTES TO KILL FIFTEEN POLICE OFFICERS"
"Well you're not what I expected either."
"DESTROY THE L TRAIN"
"I don't trust you either. But I need you to do something for me."

Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.
The Chicago history video was fantastic! Well timed, too - I'm moving there in two days.

I'm 85% sure I learned something, and 15% sure I'll repeat something that gets me laughed out of town.

That faux-faced furrier looked immaculate, regardless.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
I wonder if maybe the reason the grenades are on the grid is: They're made to not detonate within a certain radius of friendly guards, and to be disabled if someone incapacitates a guard and takes the guard's grenades. Like since they're in a city and not a warzone, the grenades are just packed with failsafes to not actually hurt people or be used wrongly.

Is there anything in the game that gives a reason?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Watch_Dogs is $20 on the PSN store RIGHT NOW!

Hmmm....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I worked on the official strategy guide for this game, so there's a lot of stuff in this episode of the LP that I'm not sure I can talk about. The NDA is likely still in effect.

That said, I think it's pretty widely known that Ubisoft games in general are multi-national affairs: one part's by their Shanghai studio, one part's in Montreal, another might be in Milan or San Francisco or wherever. They have 29 studios worldwide. It's actually a little unusual for an entire Ubisoft game to be the production of a single dedicated team, especially ones that are this damned big.

• Locked thread