Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ohhhh those silly motherfuckers okay

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Premise is all that's really necessary, I think. I'd only seen the first couple episodes when I saw it, and that was fine.

That's good to hear. If I put it in the simulwatch I'll just find a basic synopsis for the show for people to read real quick.

It does make me realize that most of my choices so far outside of Mind Game have been 80s movies though, so I might have to think of something else for some variety :v:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I know that but

whats a lum

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lum is good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Worse than a Ranma

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

That's good to hear. If I put it in the simulwatch I'll just find a basic synopsis for the show for people to read real quick.

It does make me realize that most of my choices so far outside of Mind Game have been 80s movies though, so I might have to think of something else for some variety :v:

Do some 60s movies. Wanpaku Ouji no Orochi Taiji/Little Prince and Eight Headed Dragon is pretty good, and is the inspiration for Samurai Jack and Zelda Wind Waker to boot.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
rewatched EVA, still was like meh. I mean I get what it was going for given the era, but after seeing so many pre 90's stuff like LoGH, Space Corba, GE999, Giant Robo, etc.

It was ehhh, I think I see what the director was going for but haven't looked much into it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rodyle posted:

Worse than a Ranma

You continue to be wrong about things

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think that maybe a smattering of old anime would be cool. I doubt I could get people to simulwatch all of Sabu and Ichi's Detective Tales but it's a show worth watching at least a few episodes of, in my opinion.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Do some 60s movies. Wanpaku Ouji no Orochi Taiji/Little Prince and Eight Headed Dragon is pretty good, and is the inspiration for Samurai Jack and Zelda Wind Waker to boot.

That could be fun. I'll have to do a little research about the licensing status and/or if any of that stuff is streaming somewhere, since for the current simulwatch I feel it's easier if it's something people can watch that way instead of going out and buying a physical copy.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

lum is good

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Oh lums? I love Rayman 2

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

I think that maybe a smattering of old anime would be cool. I doubt I could get people to simulwatch all of Sabu and Ichi's Detective Tales but it's a show worth watching at least a few episodes of, in my opinion.

?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

littleorv posted:

Oh lums? I love Rayman 2

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

they did that a week before epic game "hatred" comes out and just after epic h-game "starless" gets localized hmmmmm

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

WAT

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

they did that a week before epic game "hatred" comes out and just after epic h-game "starless" gets localized hmmmmm

whats a hatred

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ranma is good. :colbert:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

whats a hatred

edgy game that managed to make gamers very angry about violence in videogames in 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Ranma is good. :colbert:

It is, just nowhere near as good as Lum

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ranma is fine, except for the entire genre of weird fetish comics it ended up spawning

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Srice posted:

That could be fun. I'll have to do a little research about the licensing status and/or if any of that stuff is streaming somewhere, since for the current simulwatch I feel it's easier if it's something people can watch that way instead of going out and buying a physical copy.

Maybe do some of those 'artsier' Mushi movies like Belladonna of the Sadness or Cleopatra? It'd definitely be a change of pace.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Ranma is fine, except for the entire genre of weird fetish comics it ended up spawning
i dont think ranma invented that fetish, or the idea of crossing gender boundaries

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DaveWoo posted:

it's amazing to me that Rumiko Takahashi wrote the three biggest entry tier mangas in 3 different decades

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it sure does suck that a wormhole to 1980s japan opened up in the middle of ancient china, and hua mulan read the copy of ranma 1/2 that popped out

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

It's not like I look at it. :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and don't even get me started on ranma 1/2's influence on the norse pantheon

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

I'm tempted to make Beautiful Dreamer part of the simulwatch, though I don't know how well it would go with people that haven't seen UY.

I feel like it would go fine but I only watched it after being familiar with the basic premise and most of the characters that appeared in it, so I can't judge for certain.

I've seen beautiful dreamer like twice without seeing any of the TV show and it's so good. I would say add it if you're on the fence, it's old enough where most people probably haven't seen it and it's a good introduction to Oshii's themes and style. Or try Angel Egg

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think I watched the first episode of Lum a few years ago because I was watching TNG for the first time and I read there was a really obscure reference to it an episode I liked.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

50s/60s anime is complete rear end but maybe one extremely early production would be neat as a point of reference.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

rewatched EVA, still was like meh. I mean I get what it was going for given the era, but after seeing so many pre 90's stuff like LoGH, Space Corba, GE999, Giant Robo, etc.

It was ehhh, I think I see what the director was going for but haven't looked much into it.

I'm going to destroy you.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I finished Molester Man. It was better than any manga with a major character called boobs loli and another that's a personification of a sex toy really oughta be.

• Locked thread