Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Darko posted:

How did people know what Dio's power was from memes, anyway? The only ZA WARRUUUDO memes I saw pre-reading was him saying that and then throwing a steamroller on Jotaro. That doesn't really tell me what it does.

well "toki wo tomare" generally follows za warudo, that's the only case i could make for a meme singlehandedly spoiling his power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Yeah, that's how I learned about The World's power literally years before I actually read the series :v: I enjoyed Stardust Crusaders and Dio's antics the first time I read it just fine, but I do wonder what the experience would've been like if I hadn't known...

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think he looks weird with blonde eyebrows. The black eyebrows in the games and colour re-release are much more fitting for that prettiest man alive look.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Special credit to David for firing up the "hell yeah! Crusaders gonna kick rear end!" style music when Kakyoin fires his Emerald Splash at DIO only for it go full on doom organ when DIO just goes "meh".

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

CJ posted:

I think he looks weird with blonde eyebrows. The black eyebrows in the games and colour re-release are much more fitting for that prettiest man alive look.

It's also weird since I'm pretty sure that Dio has thicker/darker eyebrows in the Phantom Blood anime, too. Did the Crusaders interrupt him in the middle of his makeup routine or something?

Speaking of which, I wonder how DavidPro is going to handle his lips getting inexplicably more lipsticky as the fight goes on ;-*

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Aurain posted:

Special credit to David for firing up the "hell yeah! Crusaders gonna kick rear end!" style music when Kakyoin fires his Emerald Splash at DIO only for it go full on doom organ when DIO just goes "meh".

That's just a prelude to next episode where it's gonna switch from Virtuous Pope to just the slow ticking of a clock

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
God, DIO is such a petty rear end in a top hat, it's amazing.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Doctor Zaius posted:

God, DIO is such a petty rear end in a top hat, it's amazing.

It's why he's my favorite JoJo antag. I love all of them, but I never actually liked villain characters until I read JoJo, especially when DIO came along. There's just something amusing to me about a British guy who tries to come off as super classy and elegant but ends up acting like a petty five-year-old. I can't wait to see him lose his goddamn mind about the possibility of Jotaro having the same powers as him, DIO.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Darko posted:

How did people know what Dio's power was from memes, anyway? The only ZA WARRUUUDO memes I saw pre-reading was him saying that and then throwing a steamroller on Jotaro. That doesn't really tell me what it does.

You're forgetting the part with the knife throws.

Also the preview this week is way too loving obvious even by Japanese standards.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

dogsicle posted:

well "toki wo tomare" generally follows za warudo, that's the only case i could make for a meme singlehandedly spoiling his power

I didn't know what toki wo tomare meant before reading jojo though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The PV smacks of "we're not done with the episode, that will do" to me to be honest. Worth noting that there's plenty of time on broadcast to watch the credits and miss the PV though. It's behind another minute of ads.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

standard owl posted:

It's also weird since I'm pretty sure that Dio has thicker/darker eyebrows in the Phantom Blood anime, too. Did the Crusaders interrupt him in the middle of his makeup routine or something?

Speaking of which, I wonder how DavidPro is going to handle his lips getting inexplicably more lipsticky as the fight goes on ;-*

Well he was in bed, undressed when Vanilla Ice reported to him, so yeah they kinda did.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
0/10, no Waldo.

Also wow they really don't hide that Kakyoin's gonna bite it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

At least people will be blindsided by Joseph. Twice.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just watched the new episode and was Dio's whole speech to Polnareff about Peace of Mind in the manga as well? I don't remember it, but if it was in the original, Dio's whole ideal of heaven suddenly starts to make more sense. At least as something he might bullshit up when talking to his followers.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It was in the manga, yeah. re-reading I'm not convinced this scene needed another long winded tirade about humanity by dio. could have made it shorter.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I remember it fondly because it doesn't say peace of mind, it says PEACE  OF  MIND.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

dogsicle posted:

Fun fact: "Toki wo tomare" is ungrammatical because "tomare" can't take a direct object. The actual quote is "toki yo, tomare", so instead of DIO telling The World to stop time, DIO commands time itself to stop, and it just listens to him.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Daxing Dan posted:

Fun fact: "Toki wo tomare" is ungrammatical because "tomare" can't take a direct object. The actual quote is "toki yo, tomare", so instead of DIO telling The World to stop time, DIO commands time itself to stop, and it just listens to him.

That's how I always understood it anyways.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Just watched the new episode and was Dio's whole speech to Polnareff about Peace of Mind in the manga as well? I don't remember it, but if it was in the original, Dio's whole ideal of heaven suddenly starts to make more sense. At least as something he might bullshit up when talking to his followers.

Yeah it was, and you can even link it back to when he was talking with Enya about "fear" and how living means to conquer it and etcetera.

The great thing about his big plan for Heaven is that it's kind of a retcon but it's something he'd totally think up anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You'd think a guy named god would already know how to get to Heaven.

Serious question, though: Did anyone see anything written on The World in today's episode?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

If you wanted to prank someone you could probably make a pretty decent case for fake-spoiling that DIO wins based on the way the next two jojos are related to the family.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Roach Warehouse posted:

If you wanted to prank someone you could probably make a pretty decent case for fake-spoiling that DIO wins based on the way the next two jojos are related to the family.

Giorno is obvious, but how does Josuke tie into this?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Enourmo posted:

"Jotaro died before fathering any children, so the next Jojo is Joseph's secret child."

E: or what the guy below said.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 30, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Enourmo posted:

Because the presumption is Jotaro's safe since he hasn't produced an heir to continue the series yet.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Gotcha.

I still need to actually read part 5 (and get back on SBR as well) one of these days.

Then again I always just end up opening part 4 up again.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm glad we've got people like Red around to be people like Red.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm glad we've got people like Red around to be people like Red.

Is Red a poster in there forums?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my local comic store has all of stardust crusaders and it is really hard to resist splurging the $150 for the whole collection

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Fat_Cow posted:

Is Red a poster in there forums?
I meant more just in general, actually.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Reading part 5 and I'm really disappointed with the character designs, where are the big muscly men of the previous parts? :(

hell I though Narancia and Buccellati were girls...

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fist of the north star inspired designs have become passe and bishounen was the new hotness, also fits araki's aesthetic better

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

El Hefe posted:

Reading part 5 and I'm really disappointed with the character designs, where are the big muscly men of the previous parts? :(

Twinks are the future

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

El Hefe posted:

Starting from partway through Part 4, characters get less ripped and more slender and model-like.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

ChaosArgate posted:

Starting from partway through Part 4, characters get less ripped and more slender and model-like.

Yeah I guess, at least Kira looked like a guy though.

also holy poo poo this translation is bad, its not duwang bad but still really bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No, it's actually worse than Duwang. Duwang, while a grammatical mess, at least got the meaning across for the most part. The part 5 translation fools you with its grammar, but it's more prone to just loving make poo poo up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there are still muscled dudes but they actually make relatively more sense and aren't just 'everyone is super ripped when they're like 14 for some reason'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also yeah the arc 5 translation is really dry and pretty shaky at parts as far as being accurate goes. you still get the general idea of it all but it definitely impacts the overall feel of the arc and would help describe why it's more popular in japan than other places because apparently the characters emote way more and have more of a personality going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Please don't twinkshame.

• Locked thread