Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Mesadoram posted:

Japanese Type 89 Heavy Tank:

:siren:VOMIT WARNING:siren:

Why does this think look like it is made of particle board covered in a roll of army uniform fabric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

demonR6 posted:

Why does this think look like it is made of particle board covered in a roll of army uniform fabric?

That's a pretty accurate description of the armor of Japanese tanks.

Edit: I think that might actually be a Type 91.

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 30, 2015

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Half gold on Matilda IV...it's not a great tank, but for 750 gold is it worth getting a medium tank trainer? Keep in mind I have 1230 gold last I checked....

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Blindeye posted:

Half gold on Matilda IV...it's not a great tank, but for 750 gold is it worth getting a medium tank trainer? Keep in mind I have 1230 gold last I checked....

not really worth it

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

demonR6 posted:

It's just a barely textured early model.

...right?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blindeye posted:

I got mine for 300 gold and it's not really worth it. If it got a B2-style very limited MM it would be great.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Aww, my love of free things has to be put on hold, then. Sigh...to be a poor player....

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Blindeye posted:

Let me put it this way - the only way you're ever damaging a KV-1 or KV-220 is to be right in front of him, shooting rounds directly into his turret, around the mantlet, or making GBS threads gold into his driver's window from ~50-75m because you can't trust the accuracy of your gun much past that distance.

Speaking of Russian MT trainers, evidently the A-32 will be going on sale on the RU server soon. I doubt it'll be released here, because pre-orderers who haven't used theirs since launch will bitch and moan that they told it was ~exclusive~. But if it is, *don't buy it*. Seriously, it's a medium version of the A-20 with 75mm average pen *gold* ammo. Literally the best thing about it is that it's got a top speed of 70kph, but you'll need half the map to turn at that speed.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The A-32 is already on sale on the RU server. Last I checked, you could get the equivalent any of the preorder packages, along with the bonus tanks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I remember when they nerfed the poo poo out of the A-32's gold ammo.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I'm using aslains modpack, is anybody else getting this issue where the game never loads past the loading screen? Like, icons pop up and the battle happens and the icons even move around as people drive, but you can't do anything and never actually get into the game proper.

Edit: Never mind. Literally seconds after I posted this, a friend found out that it was caused by Gnomefather's guns.

Why the gently caress

Rorac fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 30, 2015

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
http://wotlabs.net/na/player/emechief

my buddy and I just ran into this loving beauty

hundreds of dollars on gold tanks can't buy skill I guess :v:

Fronkey
Oct 20, 2008
Ugh, I thought I'd give WoT another shot, but I still loving hate it.

I usually end up facing tanks two tiers higher. I constantly bounce gold rounds of side armour, only to get one shotted through the front plate.

Is there a tank/tier/nation that is fun and easy to play?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Fronkey posted:

Ugh, I thought I'd give WoT another shot, but I still loving hate it.

I usually end up facing tanks two tiers higher. I constantly bounce gold rounds of side armour, only to get one shotted through the front plate.

Is there a tank/tier/nation that is fun and easy to play?

I'm loving the Russian heavies (the IS-7 line) but up until the IS-3 you're not only a shell magnet but you also don't have the armor to consistently bounce shots.

What type of tanks do you like to play? Fast/slow/big gun?

Fronkey
Oct 20, 2008
The kind that doesn't get blown up in one shot by an invisible tank on the other side of the map.

Do they make those?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Fronkey posted:

The kind that doesn't get blown up in one shot by an invisible tank on the other side of the map.

Do they make those?

Yes but only after 5k games and you understand mechanics.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Fronkey posted:

Do they make those?

No, you get those tanks by learning the maps and how the obscure loving spotting mechanics work. It'll probably take you at least a thousand battles or so to get there. Maybe more, maybe less. Probably goes faster if you can get someone to teach you the basics.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 30, 2015

Fronkey
Oct 20, 2008
For serious though, I'm not good enough to have a real opinion or taste in tanks.

I have a Matilda and it's loving awful. It's too slow, the armour is weak and the guns are either super-penny with no damage or bounce gold off everything.

I have a T-26 that is OK. The gun is alright, is okay speed wise but the armour is weak.

Is KV-1 worth the grind?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The KV-1 is worth the grind.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
The Matilda's 2pdr doesn't do a lot of damage per shot because it puts out a shot every 2 seconds that has WAY more pen than anything at tier 4 or even 5. Hold left click on enemy tanks while slowly trundling toward them. Also tier 3s get oneshot by tier 5s and tier 4s get oneshot by tier 6s but then you start getting tanks with more HP. Also you shouldn't play this game you won't be happy once you become good enough to understand just how terrible the playerbase is.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
World of Tanks is the only game since Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 to make me mad enough to literally scream. My roommate hates World of Tanks.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Doffen posted:

World of Tanks is the only game since Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 to make me mad enough to literally scream. My roommate hates World of Tanks.

Wow throwback there. I have broken N64 controllers over Tony Hawk.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Rorac posted:

I'm using aslains modpack, is anybody else getting this issue where the game never loads past the loading screen? Like, icons pop up and the battle happens and the icons even move around as people drive, but you can't do anything and never actually get into the game proper.

Edit: Never mind. Literally seconds after I posted this, a friend found out that it was caused by Gnomefather's guns.

Why the gently caress

Thanks for mentioning this, I was having the same problem and I resorted to just dumping all my mods so I could play a few games today :V.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So whats the word on mods right now? OMC working yet?

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 30, 2015

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

BadLlama posted:

So whats the word on mods right now? OMC working yet?

Most of it. Gnomefather's predictably fucks everything up, so it is deactivated, and a few others. Most of the core stuff is in there though.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Mesadoram posted:

In other news: Moved into a new apartment, their router is upstairs. I get nasty loving lag spikes while playing. Anyone have any advice besides hardwire? Currently my antenna to my wireless card is sitting on top of a police issued flash light, on an empty Card Against Humanity™ box, on a cologne box, on an art history textbook on top of my desk. It helped a little but it looks super retarded.

Wireless is poo poo for gaming, you're going to have to run a cable or deal with it.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Back in beta, on the Soviet tree one of the heavies had a ridiculous capacity for being ammo racked through the turret from the front. I can't for the life of me remember which one it was. Just that the drat thing was suicide to go hulldown in.

It was IS or higher. Anyone remember?

IS-3, and it still happens (though not as badly). If you look at the internal layout of most Soviet tanks (and indeed a lot of tanks in general), ammo is stuffed into every available space. The IS-3 and IS-4 both have ammo literally lining the inside of the turret almost all the way around.

Nitramster posted:

For randompaul and anyone else struggling with the game just remember the main difference between a good player and a great player is knowledge.

Learn the maps front to back
Know the spots to shoot from all angles for all tanks
Know the speed and mobility of all tanks

There's more but those three things (which are each huge and take a lot of time and play or straight up boring study) will put you in the top 5% of players.

This. Being familiar with your tank and with the terrain you're fighting around cannot be highlighted enough.

kemikalkadet posted:

The T-44 is still made of ammo racks.

WZ-120 owner uses this One Weird Old Trick to find ammo racks! T-44s hate him! (It's deadeye.)

Mesadoram posted:

Japanese Type 89 Heavy Tank:

:siren:VOMIT WARNING:siren:

I dunno, it's kind of adorable in a retarded way. Like most of the low tier tanks.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

scamtank posted:

It's just a barely textured early model.

...right?

I thought that was some elite tanker mod that displayed tanks as their basic unskinned models to help detect good angles to fire on.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mesadoram posted:

In other news: Moved into a new apartment, their router is upstairs. I get nasty loving lag spikes while playing. Anyone have any advice besides hardwire? Currently my antenna to my wireless card is sitting on top of a police issued flash light, on an empty Card Against Humanity™ box, on a cologne box, on an art history textbook on top of my desk. It helped a little but it looks super retarded.

You might want to try a wireless repeater. Also, does your router broadcast in the wireless AC format?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Powerline-Extra-Outlet-PLP1200-100PAS/dp/B00S6DBGIS

I'd buy it from someplace that you could easily return it to - but if you do a bit of wall tracing, you might be able to find a socket that's directly wired into the one that powers your router, which would minimize latency all the more. Powerline networking's gotten a lot better than the shitshow it used to be.

If getting access to a socket near the router is a non-starter, there are these options:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052105&p_id=8748&seq=1&format=2 (there are 9dbi indoor antennae for sale on Amazon that come with bases)

and

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT2409A-Directional-Antenna-connector/dp/B003CFATNS (not the best out there, but if you can point it *directly* at the router it might help you)

You can invest in 12dbi+ outdoor antennae if you feel like finding out if there are any ~electrosensitives~ in your building, but they're decidedly pricier than the indoor variety.

It should also bear mentioning that 'nasty lag spikes' are Wargaming's fault, too. I'm getting horrible connection to the WoWS servers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 30, 2015

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

rossmum posted:

This. Being familiar with your tank and with the terrain you're fighting around cannot be highlighted enough.

To add to this, always have an escape plan no matter what position you're in. It doesn't always have to be a good plan, just better than the alternative.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozUq96s19FE

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Powerline-Extra-Outlet-PLP1200-100PAS/dp/B00S6DBGIS

I'd buy it from someplace that you could easily return it to - but if you do a bit of wall tracing, you might be able to find a socket that's directly wired into the one that powers your router, which would minimize latency all the more. Powerline networking's gotten a lot better than the shitshow it used to be.

If getting access to a socket near the router is a non-starter, there are these options:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052105&p_id=8748&seq=1&format=2 (there are 9dbi indoor antennae for sale on Amazon that come with bases)

and

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-ANT2409A-Directional-Antenna-connector/dp/B003CFATNS (not the best out there, but if you can point it *directly* at the router it might help you)

You can invest in 12dbi+ outdoor antennae if you feel like finding out if there are any ~electrosensitives~ in your building, but they're decidedly pricier than the indoor variety.

It should also bear mentioning that 'nasty lag spikes' are Wargaming's fault, too. I'm getting horrible connection to the WoWS servers.

There's always a goon on the case.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

rossmum posted:

I dunno, it's kind of adorable in a retarded way. Like most of the low tier tanks.

Gonna be tier 3 I hear, from the Type 89. Both will probably use 57mm softball launchers.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BIG HEADLINE posted:

and

Great poo poo. I am going to look into this. Thank you.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

srb posted:

Gonna be tier 3 I hear, from the Type 89. Both will probably use 57mm softball launchers.

I've heard that the tier 4 weebmobile will have a short 120mm, which should do great things for gameplay.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

Great poo poo. I am going to look into this. Thank you.

Also, that powerline kit I posted is currently the fastest (and most expensive). If the router in question doesn't have Gigabit connectivity, you can go cheaper with a 500Mbit kit.

Similarly, depending on the configuration of the router, you might think of helping *everyone* and upgrading the antennae on it (provided they *can* be upgraded). Also might want to read this: http://lifehacker.com/the-best-way-to-point-your-wi-fi-router-antennas-perpe-1605924745

The Monoprice 9dbi are almost two feet long, so they are a bit heavier than the stubby ones most routers/adapters pack.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 30, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Blindeye posted:

I got shat on last time I said it but I'm going to say it again anyway. I really like the Matilda IV. It is my highest win rate tank at 60% after 300 battles (for a long time it was my only medium trainer). It also has a destruction ratio of 2.49.

My experience has been that if you give it 15 gold shells for emergencies it seems to handle itself in most games. Obviously it is no Rudy, and I might be some weird exception, but for a cheap trainer I don't think it's bad at all. I'd say it hinges more on if you can stand trundling around at 25kph in a medium.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 30, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, that powerline kit I posted is currently the fastest (and most expensive). If the router in question doesn't have Gigabit connectivity, you can go cheaper with a 500Mbit kit.

Similarly, depending on the configuration of the router, you might think of helping *everyone* and upgrading the antennae on it (provided they *can* be upgraded). Also might want to read this: http://lifehacker.com/the-best-way-to-point-your-wi-fi-router-antennas-perpe-1605924745

The Monoprice 9dbi are almost two feet long, so they are a bit heavier than the stubby ones most routers/adapters pack.

Would you be able to explain this powerline thing? Is it just a simple signal extender?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Agrajag posted:

Would you be able to explain this powerline thing? Is it just a simple signal extender?

It uses the electrical cabling in your walls (the plug socket ones) as a kind of ghetto ethernet cable.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass
Any one know the name of the mod so you can auto aim at the nearest tank your pointed at? or better still a linky? Also is that site still going that will upload your replays to you tube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Here. Don't be me and become addicted to using it in inappropriate situations.

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/441413-098-autoaim-indicationsnapping/