Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lots of people always come in here saying that they've never read proper literature, and ask what they should read first, and the answer should always just be Coetzee. Anyone can read Disgrace and get something out of it, and it's very straightforward prose.

There's no point recommending Dante or whatever because new readers would never finish it, and most "accessible classics" like anything by Orwell or Dickens tend to be aesthetically shallow and bad introductions to what literature is really about.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shibawanko posted:

Lots of people always come in here saying that they've never read proper literature, and ask what they should read first, and the answer should always just be Coetzee. Anyone can read Disgrace and get something out of it, and it's very straightforward prose.

I really liked Disgrace but it seems an odd choice for most accessible literary novel ever

Rabbit Hill posted:

:laugh: if you think Purgatorio is boring. Purgatorio is the best of the three IMO; it's Paradiso that's a slog.

I liked Paradiso just because it was very ethereal versus the tangibility of Inferno. If Inferno was a meditation on the sins of man and the consequences of them, Paradiso was an attempt to frame a cosmic and perfect sense of justice.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 30, 2015

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I really liked Disgrace but it seems an odd choice for most accessible literary novel ever

I think it has that combination of very easy to read prose (except for some unusual words maybe, like "uxorious", but you can just look those up) combined with interesting events that make it perfect for that, yeah. There are other books you can choose of course, but it's the most thrilling one I can think of that I guess might make somebody want to go on reading other things as well. It has a very interesting kind of ethics that goes against common sense in a way that's still accessible without being conventional, if that makes any sense.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I like the Mark Musa version

Gonna second this translation. I only ever finished Inferno (Gonna have to go back to Purgatorio at some point, and then read Paradisio), but I found it plenty captivating, and it had some decent explanatory notes.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

nvm

Sir John Feelgood fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 30, 2015

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Same guy also wrote Foe which is pretty much impenetrable unless you're reading it alongside Robinson Crusoe and a biography of DeFoe himself.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Shibawanko posted:

I always considered Life & Times of Michael K as the gateway to Coetzee.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I understand that Pynchon's novels V and Gravity's Rainbow have connections in term of characters and events. Do all of his books have connections? Are they all considered to be in one "universe"?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Pynchon Memory Alpha is the wiki for all canon Pynchon Extended Universe information, Pynchon Memory Beta is for non-canon appearances (Simpson's voiceover, Inherent Vice Cinematic Universe, &c.).

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Classic lists* actually do work as a good first step for people with autism (=most people who read fantasy). When I realized I was an adult and still only reading books about wizards, I immersed myself in "literature" by going through books on some random "top100 best classics!!11" list and found it exciting. You can turn it into a game, "now I've read that, and that, and that, oh this was actually good, and that, and that..."
*yeah, of course I don't mean the "start with Bible and Aeneid" kind of troll classic lists we like to joke about.

mallamp fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 30, 2015

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

The Unholy Ghost posted:

I understand that Pynchon's novels V and Gravity's Rainbow have connections in term of characters and events. Do all of his books have connections? Are they all considered to be in one "universe"?
There are recurring characters, including some very central ones, but the books all stand alone. Whether they take place in the same "universe" isn't a particularly meaningful question, because they're not fantasy world-building books. They are in the same universe insofar as they all take place in "the world" I guess?

Reading Gravity's Rainbow before V definitely colored my immediate response to the section of the latter in which Weissman appears, but that's not a function of any sort of narrative continuity between the two

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

mallamp posted:

Classic lists* actually do work as a good first step for people with autism (=most people who read fantasy). When I realized I was an adult and still only reading books about wizards, I immersed myself in "literature" by going through books on some random "top100 best classics!!11" list and found it exciting. You can turn it into a game, "now I've read that, and that, and that, oh this was actually good, and that, and that..."
*yeah, of course I don't mean the "start with Bible and Aeneid" kind of troll classic lists we like to joke about.

The Aeneid is really cool though. It's better after you've read some Homer, but I think it's a fun read.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

For those struggling to read the classics, might I suggest sampling a tasteful Manga Classic Readers version?

You can also choose from Moby Dick, War of the Worlds, and Don Quixote!

Or perhaps you'd like to start with some Shakespeare? Why not try King Lear, the classic tale of a vengeful Indian shaman and a woman trapped in a mystical golden amulet?

As with most things in life, I find that anime makes the classics that much more accessible.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

For those struggling to read the classics, might I suggest sampling a tasteful Manga Classic Readers version?

Or perhaps you'd like to start with some Shakespeare? Why not try King Lear, the classic tale of a vengeful Indian shaman and a woman trapped in a mystical golden amulet?

As with most things in life, I find that anime makes the classics that much more accessible.

When I was in high school I had to read a graphic novel version of Frankenstein. It sucked

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Patrick Spens posted:

So I've been thinking about reading the Divine Comedy, does anyone have a recommended translation?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

God, this game had everything. Cerberus being a big lovely worm for some reason. Beatrice getting fingerbanged by Satan. Giant Cleopatra birthing demonic cherubim from her enormous nipple-mouths.

Games are art.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

End Of Worlds posted:

God, this game had everything. Cerberus being a big lovely worm for some reason. Beatrice getting fingerbanged by Satan. Giant Cleopatra birthing demonic cherubim from her enormous nipple-mouths.

Games are art.

I forgot this existed and it never stops being funny

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Remember when EA made a fake Christian protest group and had them picket e3 to drum up support for Dante's Inferno

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 31, 2015

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

When I was in high school I had to read a graphic novel version of Frankenstein. It sucked

Read Bernie Wrightson's version:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

End Of Worlds posted:

Games are art.
Don't forget the mutalisks.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hmmm, yeah I also know a lot of things from the Dante's Inferno video game.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Longfellow is a cool guy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Hmmm, yeah I also know a lot of things from the Dante's Inferno video game.

You have to admit there is something intriguing about a company making an action game out of a book entirely without conflict and action

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The ending of JR when everything is falling apart is absolutely hilarious. Bast getting into and out of a hostage situation entirely off-page had me laughing for a good long time.

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This looks awesome!

Specially for Ulysses!

I'll check it out!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You have to admit there is something intriguing about a company making an action game out of a book entirely without conflict and action

It's so astonishingly nonsensical that I think it goes full circle and becomes genius. It's like making an FPS based on Leaves of Grass.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

and I was the flower of the mountain oh sugoi oh sugoiii onii-chan

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One Hundred Years of Solitude progress- Man, Colonel Aureliano Buendia has done hosed up massively by leaving Arcadio in charge of Macondo, jesus christ.

"Take care of the village while I'm away! Be a good leader!"

"Okie dokie! I will!" *Becomes savage dictator, terrorizing the people and murdering citizens for the smallest of petty offenses. Becomes so power hungry he nearly rapes his own biological mother. After an armed offensive in Macondo, all of his soldiers are killed, and Arcadio is ultimately executed for all his nonsense.*

This novel is some crazy poo poo, this last chapter in particular being really good. I can't stop reading.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

End Of Worlds posted:

It's so astonishingly nonsensical that I think it goes full circle and becomes genius. It's like making an FPS based on Leaves of Grass.

I don't know, it would be refreshing to play an fps where how great dicks are is text rather than subtext.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

End Of Worlds posted:

*tosses terrorist into fuse box*

Sing the body electric...

*puts on sunglasses*

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

End Of Worlds posted:

A MOBA based on The Wasteland. Featuring such heroes as Mme Sosostris, Lil's Husband, The Typist, Tiresias and Phlebas the Phoenician. And maps of Jerusalem, Athens, Alexandria, Vienna, London and The Unreal City.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Remembrance of Things Past MMORPG where combat is resolved with rhythm game based on Finnegans Wake

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

WWII multiplayer shooter based on Gravity's Rainbow

Killstreak!

You unlocked "ominous boner"

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
The literature thread discussing video games, good to see SA hasn't completely left its roots

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
although actually an Odyssey MMORPG would unironically own

e:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

WWII multiplayer shooter based on Gravity's Rainbow

Killstreak!

You unlocked "ominous boner"

That reminds me; Hieronymous please change my username to "ominous boner"

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 2, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

End Of Worlds posted:

That reminds me; Hieronymous please change my username to "ominous boner"

I think changing usernames takes an admin.

I keep meaning to try this: http://www.marryingmrdarcy.com/ but it is in fact an actual real game.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think changing usernames takes an admin.

I keep meaning to try this: http://www.marryingmrdarcy.com/ but it is in fact an actual real game.

https://www.greatgatsbygame.com

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I recently finished Gravity's Rainbow and I liked it a lot. It's really neat how Pynchon is able to have very human, empathetic moments in the middle of all the craziness that is going on.

There's a neat bit where Slothrop is in the Zone and all alone and starting to lose grip and he has a dream about meeting Tantivty. Slothrop asks ghost-Tantivy if he is looking out for him and Tantivy says "No, Slothrop. Not you...". It's so good.

A few plot points were forgotten (Pirate, Von Goll Argentenian film) but i still really like how it ended. Also couldn't tell you why the Hereros wanted to build a rocket in the first place, but I am willing to admit that I might just be an idiot.

I'm reading invisible cities right now because I felt like something short. It's very good.

Next I might read Mo Yan's 'Life and Death are Wearing Me Out' for a second time which is weird because I didn't enjoy it that much to begin with. I read it in English because I am a cretin.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.
I'm reading Dream of the Red Chamber (Hong Lou Meng) and it's very good, and it sucks that I haven't seen anyone on this forum talk about it. Actually, I haven't seen much talk of eastern literature in general, aside from maybe Mo Yan and that thread about Japanese literature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Zaito posted:

I'm reading Dream of the Red Chamber (Hong Lou Meng) and it's very good, and it sucks that I haven't seen anyone on this forum talk about it. Actually, I haven't seen much talk of eastern literature in general, aside from maybe Mo Yan and that thread about Japanese literature.

I want to get into that old Chinese literature, but all of those novels are really really really long. Like makes Tolstoy look like Dr. Seuss long