Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nasgate posted:

Moon Dust prevents the healing if i remember correctly, I believe demetrium bomb or whatever would also work. Fire also tends to negate the healing factor.

Yeah Dragons Dream, Igni and smacking it with a silver sword will kill it pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
The loving beggars in this game. You want 50 crowns are you high?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I'm supposed to kill this werewolf in a cave, but it's literally impossible. I'm on the second hardest difficulty, and once I get him to 1/3 health he starts regenerating faster than I can deal damage. It's not that the fight's too hard or anything, it's that even if I were to be swinging at him constantly without pause I still wouldn't be able to outdamage his health, and as it is I need to dodge as well. I've tried every sign, none of them are enough to kill the loving thing. Am I just too low levelled or what? I'm level 4.

Level 4 is a bit low to be doing that quest, but read the bestiary and get geared up if you want to finish it while under-leveled. There are things that cancel his health regen.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

poptart_fairy posted:

Haha, yeah. She was a complete liability when I did that fight - kept breaking my crowd control as I wound up an attack, getting me axed in the face as a result.

She was immense help for me. I knew she would stagger the bastard and I would punish him with 1-2 hits each time. I kept repeating this "Cooperation with partner"-thing the whole fight.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Having to watch the stupid Dandelion narrations every time you switch zones is pretty dumb.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Having to watch the stupid Dandelion narrations every time you switch zones is pretty dumb.

It's there to cover the load time. If you're on PC, I'm sure you could skip it if you load quicker than it takes for the narration to complete.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's there to cover the load time. If you're on PC, I'm sure you could skip it if you load quicker than it takes for the narration to complete.

You can, but I'd have preferred a regular loading screen. The Dandelion recaps probably would've been better served just being the startup loading screen and that's it because hearing the same segment like 5 times in one play session gets grating.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

how me a frog posted:

The loving beggars in this game. You want 50 crowns are you high?

i dont think much thought went into the games economy which is odd considering theres 2 currencies and the ability to exchange them

random bandit has 100 crowns while a village scrapes together 20 for paying you to kill a dragon or some such

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

i dont think much thought went into the games economy which is odd considering theres 2 currencies and the ability to exchange them

random bandit has 100 crowns while a village scrapes together 20 for paying you to kill a dragon or some such

Or how even just simple food items can easily cost 50+ crowns, while single bottles of simple liquor are 100+. I get the feeling that Geralt it just really bad with money and has no idea how little these goddamn newfangled crowns are even worth, so everybody just pays him a tiny pittance and pretends like it's some huge communal effort to scrape it all together. :allears:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CJacobs posted:

You can, but I'd have preferred a regular loading screen. The Dandelion recaps probably would've been better served just being the startup loading screen and that's it because hearing the same segment like 5 times in one play session gets grating.

Have you tried muting your audio, covering your eyes, or simply walking out of the room?

(Sorry that's a bit ablist -- have you tried wheeling your Rascal out of the room?)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I had made a Gwent checklist the other day. Well it turns out a ton of the information on locations/names of stuff is just flat out wrong. And the Prima guide information is filled with misinformation. I scoured my checklist and went over all the online info I could find, so this should be pretty error free:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I20FoiznECcPGB24RRkPfQxd-2Pym5vI9QbTqYXsBAw/edit?usp=sharing

Also, if you're looking at the items with different face cards, you can cross reference it with: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/witcher-3-gwent-cards-list/

I haven't verified all the information on the second link, but it should be fairly accurate.

As for the achievement, I'm pretty sure you only need one of each card (which adds up to about 120 unique cards). So even though there are five Mahakaman Defenders in the game, you only need one.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Perestroika posted:

Or how even just simple food items can easily cost 50+ crowns, while single bottles of simple liquor are 100+. I get the feeling that Geralt it just really bad with money and has no idea how little these goddamn newfangled crowns are even worth, so everybody just pays him a tiny pittance and pretends like it's some huge communal effort to scrape it all together. :allears:

There is a pervasive sense that Geralt is if not cheated exactly then undervalued -- he even talks to a royal hunstman about it in the original Witcher game where they compare notes on how much they get paid and Geralt is unhappy. Then again Foltest keeps trying to give him bags of gold or baronetcies and he keeps turning them down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arglebargle III posted:

Have you tried muting your audio, covering your eyes, or simply walking out of the room?

(Sorry that's a bit ablist -- have you tried wheeling your Rascal out of the room?)

I've tried them all and surprisingly, none of those things turn the Dandelion recaps into normal loading screens in mid-game. Thanks for trying to help though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Arglebargle III posted:

Weren't you the one whinging about damage numbers.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Perestroika posted:

I think people just overcharge a Witcher because they are freaks. This doesn't hold up when you consider some of the other vendors in the game, but most of the insane prices can be explained away by 'Racism'.

It's also pretty funny that a Witcher is paid about 300 gold for killing a deadly monster, and this'll buy him a few bottle of hooch.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
There are some genuinely heart tugging moments in this game. Late game spoilers I loving almost teared up when Geralt finds Ciri on that island and thought she was dead. I KNEW she was alive but still he was so heartbroken :( Then the scene if you turn down the emperor's gold. Ciri gets this slightly worried look before you say no and then gets a small smile and the squeeze of the hand :3:

OH! Also if you love trolls maybe you want to check out that Missing Miners DLC quest, just saying. Swishy swoosh :lol:

If anyone's keeping track there are 5 talking trolls/quests/sequences that I've found Trololo, Bart, the cursing three, the three you find at Kaer Morhen, and Missing Miners

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 30, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

iGestalt posted:

I think people just overcharge a Witcher because they are freaks. This doesn't hold up when you consider some of the other vendors in the game, but most of the insane prices can be explained away by 'Racism'.

It's also pretty funny that a Witcher is paid about 300 gold for killing a deadly monster, and this'll buy him a few bottle of hooch.
I read that in the Middle Ages, food as a proportion of income was much greater than it is today. Maybe it makes sense that a witcher can barely cover his basic needs.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

iGestalt posted:

300 crowns will get you like six bottles of water.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Keira related spoiler

Later in the game I found it weir how every other sorceress keep referencing her although Geralt killed her.
They talk about her like she's busy somewere else.
Yen can supposely read Geralt's mind yet she doesn't seem to have a clue about this.
That would have made an interesting conversation

Philippa Eilhart

Is there a way to kill Philippa Eilhart?
I can't stand her

The end I got (big endgame spoiler obviously)

Ciri ended the white frost, so I guess she saved the Elven world too
Nilfgaard Invaded the north, finaly some order in this shithole
Temeria is reformed as a free vassal state, reward for killing Radovid
Ciri become the empress of Nilfgaard, still on good term with Geralt
Geralt and Yen leave politics and stay together
The Vikings remain independant and prosper peacefully

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

The games economy is weird, but I like that you aren't walking around with endless money. I'm level 12 and I still usually just have enough to repair my stuff and buy the occasional big item. Personally I like feeling like the games money is worth enough to think about what I'm gonna buy.

There are probably a hundred ways I haven't found to break the games economy and have a poo poo ton of money but that's how it's been for me at least.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I find myself wanting to boot this game up just to play gwent. I really love the varying skill of different opponents. Like the owner of the whorehouse in the poor district. She used all of her cards to beat me in round two and i only had to play one card to win the last round. Whereas some of the monster players will play a big rear end monster, then pass. This forces you to play probably two cards to beat it, and he keeps it for next turn anyway.

Elysiume posted:

300 crowns will get you like six bottles of water.

And a diamond is worth what? 460 some crowns?

Edit: the weirdest thing about the economy is how you can break the economy, have over 10k crowns, then go to an alchemist, and you're poor again.

Also, if anyone is strapped for cash, i figured an easy way to lots of money early if you want.

1. Blow up a ghouls nest.
2. Take the golden ruby ring, but always leave one thing in there. then wait 5 seconds
3. Repeat 2 for as long as desired.
4. Go to the general merchant in Oxenfurt across the street from the armorsmith, hey buys jewelry at a reasonable price.
5. Sell until he's out of money, then walk away and meditate or wait a bit.
6. Repeat 5 until your pockets are lined with gold.

I found that merchant restocks obscenely quickly.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 30, 2015

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

NESguerilla posted:

The games economy is weird, but I like that you aren't walking around with endless money. I'm level 12 and I still usually just have enough to repair my stuff and buy the occasional big item. Personally I like feeling like the games money is worth enough to think about what I'm gonna buy.

There are probably a hundred ways I haven't found to break the games economy and have a poo poo ton of money but that's how it's been for me at least.

Well, enjoy it while it lasts. Soon you're going to be drowning in cash. Don't even need to break anything, if you keep exploring ?s and selling loot (and exchanging currencies), you're gonna be filthy rich, like it or not.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Weren't you the one whinging about damage numbers.

God a loving Englishman complaining about tone.

NESguerilla posted:

It's a gold sink. It's there so that players who loot everything and explore everywhere have something to sink their gold into but casual players don't end up with no money for necessities like swords and alchemy ingredients.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

NESguerilla posted:

If you're anything like me, at level twelve or thirteen swords I found in guarded treasure and monster nest encounters started selling for 70-100 gold up from 10-20. Made a real difference to my walking-around money.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Argh, trying to find upgrades for my weapons is a pain. Why the hell am I getting level 37 loot from level 10 enemies.

Arglebargle III posted:

God a loving Englishman complaining about tone.

Well it is pretty funny you just tell someone to ignore an aspect of the game when you were going mental trying to mod out a few floating numbers. :v:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So as it turns out I could safely go from low details and low textures to... high details and ultra textures, with a framerate increase of 1. I'm confused as hell but at least the game looks pretty?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Verranicus posted:

You can skip them if you mash space bar, or it might be X/A on a controller.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anyone do the quest for the Griffin set? For whatever reason, after finding and looting his grave, I only ended up with recipes for 4/6 pieces and I can't find the other two in that dungeon. Are they somewhere else or was I screwed by a bug?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Anyone do the quest for the Griffin set? For whatever reason, after finding and looting his grave, I only ended up with recipes for 4/6 pieces and I can't find the other two in that dungeon. Are they somewhere else or was I screwed by a bug?

Read the witcher's notes from his grave, that'll update the quest with the next two pieces.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You only found the armor. The Steel and Silver sword diagrams are elsewhere. Read some of your inventory notes.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Well of course you stumble across mage laboratories dedicated to tyromancy and taxidermy :allears:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Mordiceius posted:

I had made a Gwent checklist the other day. Well it turns out a ton of the information on locations/names of stuff is just flat out wrong. And the Prima guide information is filled with misinformation. I scoured my checklist and went over all the online info I could find, so this should be pretty error free:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I20FoiznECcPGB24RRkPfQxd-2Pym5vI9QbTqYXsBAw/edit?usp=sharing

Also, if you're looking at the items with different face cards, you can cross reference it with: http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/witcher-3-gwent-cards-list/

I haven't verified all the information on the second link, but it should be fairly accurate.

As for the achievement, I'm pretty sure you only need one of each card (which adds up to about 120 unique cards). So even though there are five Mahakaman Defenders in the game, you only need one.

Did you check this: http://gwentcards.com/

That seems to be pretty update.

Apparently you can lose cards as I don't have one of the 6 cost Ballista that the game says you're supposed to start with. So never lose a game, I have no idea how to get it back or where I lost it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Speaking of Griffin armor, I really can't wait till I'm allowed to switch over to Cat or Bear.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Speaking of Griffin armor, I really can't wait till I'm allowed to switch over to Cat or Bear.

I really like Griffin armour and just finished treasure hunting for the enhanced version. What's not to like about it?

E: The sign intensity bonus on the complete set is good, especially if you take School of the Griffin. I enjoy spamming alt Yrden whenever I can and this armour helps make that a nasty thing to do.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 30, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, I'm not like SUPER HYPED about Griffin armor or anything, but the way people treat it makes it seem much worse than it actually is. My end-game armor set was everything Griffin except the chestpiece, which was SPECIFICALLY Superior Bear. Not like the game's hard at the end, so I went mostly for fashion. Probably would've switched gauntlets to Bear too, but eh.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bear would be GOAT if it had the fur collar that the concept art version had.
Griffin is ugly as sin, Cat is good.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It'd be so fun if I could mount my trophies at the Rose & Thyme.

On that note, what do I do with trophies? Anyone buying them at a high price? Useful for something?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I am actually super bummed about the choices I made in Family Matters last night.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

anatomi posted:

It'd be so fun if I could mount my trophies at the Rose & Thyme.

On that note, what do I do with trophies? Anyone buying them at a high price? Useful for something?

They provide bonuses like +5% experience when killing a certain enemy, bonus gold or increased chance of dismemberment. Their effect is listed in the trophy's description in your inventory. They're equipped onto your horse, Roach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

For real the Yennefer relationship is really good, not like she's the hottest babe to gently caress but she and Geralt act like real people with each other and both of them talking about Ciri and trying to be good parents to her is great and so not-videogamelike at all.