Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Was there a circuit decision I missed, because Wisconsin has a constitutional ban on same sex marriage and that definitely hasn't been removed.

It was deemed unconstitutional by Wolf v. Walker in February 2014. The state appealed the decision but it was upheld. However, the decision has been stayed until the Supreme Court decides whether or not to hear the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

majormonotone posted:

It was deemed unconstitutional by Wolf v. Walker in February 2014. The state appealed the decision but it was upheld. However, the decision has been stayed until the Supreme Court decides whether or not to hear the case.

That's what I thought. That map is either out of date or was never accurate. Man love is still not allowed in Wisconsin.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin was always a blue state when I was growing up there in the 90s. What happened?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Wisconsin was always a blue state when I was growing up there in the 90s. What happened?

the definition of "blue" changed.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dude, Tommy Thompson was our governor in the 90s. Wisconsin has gone blue for President more often than not, but on the state level we're heavily rural and our urban areas are more polarized politically than you would think, so the makeup of the state government leans conservative.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ras Het posted:

No but I mean... It's like a sort of oversimplified philosophical theory to try and envision a language as "simple" or "easy" as possibly, because it's a fundamental feature of natural languages that they grow redundant features.
Yes? That doesn't mean the existence of those redundant features might not confuse people trying to learn the language in question.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

It was a blue state only because rural areas and suburbia hadn't yet been completely turned red by Reaganite conservatism. Well, now it has

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 29, 2015

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
The last couple of pages of this thread own so much.

Today I was approached by two South Koreans in Sofia asking me to speak Bulgarian with them. I initially offered to talk to them in English thinking they were tourists but the guy quickly code switched back to Bulgarian, they were some kind of students there. A new experience every day. Should've asked what their league in LoL / Starcraft APM was.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

computer parts posted:

Japanese is most definitely hard even if you speak a related language.

Koreans seem to learn Japanese relatively quickly. I've met Koreans who learned Japanese after their University days and became fluent in 2-3 years, while they had studied English since 3rd grade and had trouble with basic communication. Likewise, I've met quite a few Japanese people who became near fluent in Korean after 2 years of study.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

Koreans seem to learn Japanese relatively quickly. I've met Koreans who learned Japanese after their University days and became fluent in 2-3 years, while they had studied English since 3rd grade and had trouble with basic communication. Likewise, I've met quite a few Japanese people who became near fluent in Korean after 2 years of study.
I think someone mentioned once in another thread how the way English is taught in Korea is really dumb, and not conducive to learning even basic communication level English.

fake edit: Apparently the system used in South Korea is based on American ESL teaching methods, which assume the student is immersed in a culture which speaks English, rather than more appropriate EFL methods

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

English education in Korea is awful, like "you have had 1-3 hours of English class literally every day for 10+ years and cannot construct a basic four word sentence" level awful, but that doesn't change this part. Japanese is the language of choice for the lazy kids in high school because it's so easy. The grammar is almost identical, a lot of the vocabulary is the same (since both languages get the majority of their vocab from Chinese) and a lot of the weird cultural parts like the levels of respect are similar. Even Americans I know who speak one of them pick up the other very rapidly.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

What's wrong with it, cos I was not expecting to hear "it's too American" so much as "it's too parrot learning".

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Like most things in Korea, it's about the appearance rather than the content. The goal is for students to seem like they're learning, and to memorize enough material that they can pass the standardized English test. The test is famously terrible and much of it is esoteric nonsense that has no connection to how people speak, and even native English speakers often don't get what the gently caress the questions are asking. Actually understanding anything or being able to communicate is never involved in the process. The Korean English teachers often don't understand the language either and can't communicate in it, I met more than a few in that category. The whole thing is to learn to pretend that you speak English without ever actually learning to speak it.

I don't know what he means about the American ESL thing either. I "taught" English in Korea for years but I never did ESL in the US so I have no reference for that.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

SaltyJesus posted:

The last couple of pages of this thread own so much.

I know, right? Europeans taking potshots at each other AND language chat? I love it! :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know what he means about the American ESL thing either. I "taught" English in Korea for years but I never did ESL in the US so I have no reference for that.
I think it's basically this:

Grand Fromage posted:

Like most things in Korea, it's about the appearance rather than the content. The goal is for students to seem like they're learning, and to memorize enough material that they can pass the standardized English test. The test is famously terrible and much of it is esoteric nonsense that has no connection to how people speak, and even native English speakers often don't get what the gently caress the questions are asking. Actually understanding anything or being able to communicate is never involved in the process. The Korean English teachers often don't understand the language either and can't communicate in it, I met more than a few in that category. The whole thing is to learn to pretend that you speak English without ever actually learning to speak it.
In an English speaking country the student would be taught with the assumption that they are immersed in an English language community (at least to some degree), which would tie what the student is being taught into a real world context and provide them plenty of opportunity to practice in a real life setting. Without it, the lessons being taught end up being nearly entirely rote memorization. Combine that with teachers who don't actually speak the language either, and what might work perfectly fine in one setting becomes nearly entirely useless outside it.

This is all based on poo poo I read though, so I might be talking out my rear end. What you wrote fits pretty well with the idea of English education being mostly done by private schools doing the bare minimum to get their students to pass their tests though, which is the impression I had.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

FINGERBLASTER69 posted:

Korean and Japanese aren't related though.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Koreans and Japanese are pretty much the same people.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

The languages are not related is what I'm saying.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Romanians and Romani are pretty much the same people.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

cebrail posted:

He didn't say they were, he just said it was easy to learn one from the other.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

All Serbs are actually Croats, and here's a 1000 page essay on it that I just wrote.

EDIT: Slovenians are either Mountain Croats or Alpine Serbs, depending on whether we like them or not at the moment.

EDIT EDIT: I still don't know which is which.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 30, 2015

3peat
May 6, 2010

Serbs, Croats, Bosniaks and Montenegrians are the same people. Namely, they're all Albanians.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Disco Infiva posted:

EDIT: Slovenians are either Mountain Croats or Alpine Serbs, depending on whether we like them or not at the moment.

Slovenes are actually very confused Styrians/Austrians.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

3peat posted:

Serbs, Croats, Bosniaks and Montenegrians are the same people. Namely, they're all Albanians.

I feel this is the appropriate time to bring up my proposal for a Yugobalkania; comprised of Montenegro, Serbia, Albania, Macedonia, and Greece; centrally governed from either Tirana or Priština.

e: because, you see, as indigenous ancient Illyrians...

SaltyJesus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 30, 2015

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

3peat posted:

Everything south of the city center of Vienna is a Balkan monoculture.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Grand Fromage posted:

Do they show American TV shows and movies in Korea? Are those dubbed? I'm convinced me and the rest of Finland learned most of their English from watching stuff with subtitles. It's taught in school as well but with subtitles TV gives you a form of immersion at least for understanding spoken English. Speaking it is another thing though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

doverhog posted:

Do they show American TV shows and movies in Korea? Are those dubbed? I'm convinced me and the rest of Finland learned most of their English from watching stuff with subtitles. It's taught in school as well but with subtitles TV gives you a form of immersion at least for understanding spoken English. Speaking it is another thing though.

There's one channel that is CSI 24/7, and another that seemed to be Segal movies 24/7. Otherwise TV is the standard awful East Asian stuff of unfunny variety shows, people eating everyday food while shouting delicious, and costume dramas about when the country used to be interesting. Non-cartoon movies aren't dubbed.

cebrail posted:

The languages are not related is what I'm saying.

I know people say that they aren't genetically related or whatever that means, but the modern grammar is almost identical and the vocabulary mostly has the same (Chinese) roots. They may have started in different places but through convergent evolution they've become virtually the same.

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

cebrail posted:

I know that. But they share a lot of Chinese words. I took Korean classes with Japanese guys, and they mentioned that they picked up the Chinese roots words really fast. For instance, "먹다" is the native Korean verb for eat. But "식사하다" is the Chinese word for eat. They mentioned picking up on the latter really quickly, even when they didn't understand the former.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what I was expecting, but worse.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Orange Devil posted:

Everything south of the city center of Vienna is a Balkan monoculture.

Austrians are just "mountain Germans".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Estonia - Poor Swedes.

3peat
May 6, 2010

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Color scheme does not respect red-green colorblindness. 2/10.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Grand Fromage posted:

There's one channel that is CSI 24/7, and another that seemed to be Segal movies 24/7. Otherwise TV is the standard awful East Asian stuff of unfunny variety shows, people eating everyday food while shouting delicious, and costume dramas about when the country used to be interesting. Non-cartoon movies aren't dubbed.

I know people say that they aren't genetically related or whatever that means, but the modern grammar is almost identical and the vocabulary mostly has the same (Chinese) roots. They may have started in different places but through convergent evolution they've become virtually the same.

They also probably are related, even if they have been isolated from each other for a long while. The standard of proof used to determine if they are related is much higher than in pretty much every other case, because two languages in countries right next to each other are most definitely not related and clearly the glorious master races who speak them could not possibly be related to the filthy mud people on the other side of the strait. By the way the Dokdo islands are ours fuckers.

3peat
May 6, 2010

IIRC the original japanese people came over from Korea, and the original koreans came from Mongolia/Siberia

Schizotek posted:

By the way the Dokdo islands are ours fuckers.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Finally a good map!

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

3peat posted:

IIRC the original japanese people came over from Korea, and the original koreans came from Mongolia/Siberia

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Superb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

This is gold.