Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Was browsing the archive of 'veganartbook' and I had to stop and just sort of smack my forehead..

So hey, Vegans scream up and down that eating meat is just as bad as homophobia.

And then one of their jokes is literally 'Haha you're gay'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Alkydere posted:

Who's the guy in the background supposed to represent? As a Texan I find it's kind of hard to tell the British figures apart when they're not drawn as walking condoms.

Based on the ears and grin, I'd say Tony Blair?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Do you guys remember the "oh good lord, if things continue like this, women will have their own pubs to be hardcore styling in" picture? You know, this one

At first I thought I might find more predictions of that sort...

But most of those I found boring and indecipherable.

Instead, I scrounged up a bunch of turn of the century futurist predictions in general:

Edit - Anyone who feels like translating the following is more than welcome to:

Edit:

KennyMan666 posted:

All of them obviously say "Hildebrand's German Chocolate/Cacao" in the upper left, and then it's all "____ in the year 2000".

So, in order: Water strolling, mobile homes, theater, flying machines, nice weather machine, ship railroad, underwater ships, covered city, airships, north pole trip, improved x-rays.
Thanks!

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 30, 2015

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Political Whores posted:

You aren't restored, you're just giving into cravings caused by an eating disorder! In this case the eating disorder is literally veganism, as that is the reason you aren't getting all the nutrients you need!

Like seriously, she doesn't even know what argument she's making. Why accuse people of having an eating disorder instead of telling them to educate themselves on alternate sources of protein.

I have a feeling that comic is a veiled response to things like Blonde Vegan admitting that her veganism was just a cover for an eating disorder. Sadly, a not-insignificant number of people (primarily young women) will use veganism as a socially acceptable way of being anorexic. But no! Admitting that this problem exists and trying to help those people with disorders is just carnets propaganda

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

e_angst posted:

I have a feeling that comic is a veiled response to things like Blonde Vegan admitting that her veganism was just a cover for an eating disorder. Sadly, a not-insignificant number of people (primarily young women) will use veganism as a socially acceptable way of being anorexic. But no! Admitting that this problem exists and trying to help those people with disorders is just carnets propaganda

quote:

her restrictive diet — which involved avoiding gluten, dressings and sauces, all animal products, oil, refined sugar, flour, and other items Younger was adamant about omitting

Something tells me it wasn't just the not eating animal part of her diet that was causing issues.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

JEPSOOON!!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

E-Tank posted:

Was browsing the archive of 'veganartbook' and I had to stop and just sort of smack my forehead..

So hey, Vegans scream up and down that eating meat is just as bad as homophobia.

And then one of their jokes is literally 'Haha you're gay'.

"Everyone who wears fur or leather should be called gay until they stop. I'm so progressive."

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
ANT
BEE

"Oh no, we're so rich! Why, Hilary, why?" :smith:

So thats what the little thing that rattles around is.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love this one. It's like a time traveler actually described the internet to someone in the 1910's and the artist just can't comprehend it.

"You mean, he'll have videos, news, sports, music, juicy gossip, everything he wants at the touch of a finger!?"

"Yup. He'll even be able to order food and drink and have it delivered right to him by robots! And will have his own camera mounted on all of this so he can do face-to-face video-calls with anyone he wants. All from the rolling chair in his office."

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Xander77 posted:

All of them obviously say "Hildebrand's German Chocolate/Cacao" in the upper left, and then it's all "____ in the year 2000".

So, in order: Water strolling, mobile homes, theater, flying machines, nice weather machine, ship railroad, underwater ships, covered city, airships, north pole trip, improved x-rays.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This is pretty kick'in rad. I want to live in this world.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Alkydere posted:

I love this one. It's like a time traveler actually described the internet to someone in the 1910's and the artist just can't comprehend it.

"You mean, he'll have videos, news, sports, music, juicy gossip, everything he wants at the touch of a finger!?"

"Yup. He'll even be able to order food and drink and have it delivered right to him by robots! And will have his own camera mounted on all of this so he can do face-to-face video-calls with anyone he wants. All from the rolling chair in his office."

The best thing about it is how the one thing the artist couldn't comprehend was the computer screen. It's all projectors and phonographs stacked on top of each other but it still ended up being the most accurate prediction in the bunch :allears:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Mallard Fillmore: Year One (May 22-27, 1995)

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

El Scotch posted:

This is pretty kick'in rad. I want to live in this world.

Yea, when I saw that I also thought that I wanted to live in the future of the past.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

SOFREP, the blog for veterans, forgot to post their memorial day comic in time.

Bonus SOME GIZMO:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DarklyDreaming posted:

The best thing about it is how the one thing the artist couldn't comprehend was the computer screen. It's all projectors and phonographs stacked on top of each other but it still ended up being the most accurate prediction in the bunch :allears:

That really is the best thing. He can only imagine things as massive mechanical contrivances but it's pretty much the most accurate.

Heck, the air pipes are probably a response to the future guy telling the past artist about the one time he found someone selling bottled air from the Alps on Amazon.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hitler B. Natural posted:

Bonus SOME GIZMO:

Lang being crushed to death by a cow would be a delightful twist of fate.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Alkydere posted:

That really is the best thing. He can only imagine things as massive mechanical contrivances but it's pretty much the most accurate.

Heck, the air pipes are probably a response to the future guy telling the past artist about the one time he found someone selling bottled air from the Alps on Amazon.

Given that it's ocean breezes he's getting pumped in, I would say it's the equivalent of the little Febreze machines that spit smells out.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Corn Time

copyright Bob Lang all rights reserved

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Submit to the vagina and serve, for it is greater than you."
Face is sweaty
knees weak
arms are heavy
too many buttons on his sweater already
mom's spaghetti
he's nervous

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

When did the revolutionary proletarian militant start raiding my aunt's facebook posts for content?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

there wolf posted:

When did the revolutionary proletarian militant start raiding my aunt's facebook posts for content?

Well, Stephanie McMillan is 50, so she's basically your proletarian aunt.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alkydere posted:

Who's the guy in the background supposed to represent? As a Texan I find it's kind of hard to tell the British figures apart when they're not drawn as walking condoms.

It's a safe bet that wherever you see a rictus grin and blasphemous self-aggrandisement, it's Tony Blair.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

e_angst posted:

Well, Stephanie McMillan is 50, so she's basically your proletarian aunt.

And yet she still stuck in her college communist phase.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For a lot of people who are doing that, it's a very good question I think.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

colonel_korn posted:

The Sunday strip is going to be Charlize Theron trying to take Immortan Zed's wives away from him, and they tell her to buzz off because feminism is wrong or something.

We won't be seeing Mad Max strips till the movie finally filters its way down to Muir's nearby $1 cinema. Or Redbox.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Congrats, thread, veganchat is the shot in the arm this thread needs :thumbsup:

The shot in the arm this thread deserves, more like.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Xander77 posted:

Do you guys remember the "oh good lord, if things continue like this, women will have their own pubs to be hardcore styling in" picture? You know, this one

At first I thought I might find more predictions of that sort...

But most of those I found boring and indecipherable.

Instead, I scrounged up a bunch of turn of the century futurist predictions in general:

Edit:
Thanks!

Sigh, just think. If only libertarianism had taken root, all this could be ours.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Wow look at all that free speech, totally isn't pushing for violence at all. But what do I know, let's have a cartoonist weigh in
https://twitter.com/patbagley/status/604661140317073408

http://i.imgur.com/YGyXIIb.jpg

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

He brings up a good point though: why hasn't a single person in the media interviewed the shooters??

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Christ I'm having trouble holding off so I can make this a weekly thing. I don't see how you guys do it.

The Vegan stood up resolutely against the scientific proof that we cause undue suffering by allowing animals to overpopulate. Bringing in a deep breath to shout over all the Carnists scientifically valid excuses, she uttered forth the words that would undoubtedly turn their minds away from their opinions on quality of life being more important than having so many animals suffering.

"NO U!"

Sapience? Whats that?

Also "Vegans are so peaceful, I hope your children get loving run over you filthy Carnist."

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 30, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When you post something in response to the incredibly stupid vegan comics, ask yourself "could this post be accompanied by an elbow nudge and a 'vegans amirite :jerkbag:'?"

If the answer is yes, don't post it.

Most people are being fine but a few are not, just saying.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I used to think that one "black lives matter... more than cows and chickens??" Vegan tweet was a joke but I'm not sure anymore.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

alnilam posted:

When you post something in response to the incredibly stupid vegan comics, ask yourself "could this post be accompanied by an elbow nudge and a 'vegans amirite :jerkbag:'?"

If the answer is yes, don't post it.

Most people are being fine but a few are not, just saying.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I have nothing wrong against Vegans. I even can agree with them on some points. Yeah, the farming industrial complex is *hosed*. I'm hopeful that in the future scientists are able to create 'farms' that grow meat and whatnot without causing any creature to feel pain. I mean if it doesn't have a brain it can't really tell that you're hurting it, right? But the poo poo I'm seeing in these comics are beyond ridiculous. Anti-scientific thinking, blatant hypocrisy, refusing to believe that someone would be unable to purchase vegan foods or unable to eat a vegan diet because of their biology. I've got a lot of respect for vegans. I don't have respect for people who try and deny science right in their faces or tell other people that it doesn't matter how poor or how sick they'll get, if they eat meat they're cruel murdering bastards who deserve to be put up against the wall, when they should be like Vegans who're so peaceful and progressive and loving for everyone.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

E-Tank posted:

Christ I'm having trouble holding off so I can make this a weekly thing. I don't see how you guys do it.

The Vegan stood up resolutely against the scientific proof that we cause undue suffering by allowing animals to overpopulate. Bringing in a deep breath to shout over all the Carnists scientifically valid excuses, she uttered forth the words that would undoubtedly turn their minds away from their opinions on quality of life being more important than having so many animals suffering.

"NO U!"

Reestablishing wolf and mountain lion populations as a natural cull on deer might result in precious cows dying as well, sooo...

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Is it wrong for a mountain lion to eat a chicken?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Reminds me of Vannevar Bush's "As We May Think," where he predicts a computer-like thing that runs on microfilm and ticker tapes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Oh god that guy snorting the tennis court markings

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Oh god that guy snorting the tennis court markings
That should have been the whole picture just itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Is that red haired chap who I think it is?

• Locked thread