Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tmfool
Dec 9, 2003

What the frak?

Nice piece of fish posted:

In other words, we are - as a species - hosed. The worst case scenario will happen, no magic science will come along to save us from global thermal momentum (what the hell could even do that and who would pay for it?), the poor will get poorer, the rich will get richer until the breaking point where food/water riots erupt and society dissolves into resource-war and chaos. The end will be nukes launched from the first big destabilized nation to experience loss of control of the military to some madman.

Bummer.

This is horribly depressing and not something I really want to live to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
or we build nuclear power plants and fusion reactors

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I'll preface this by saying that this is a very, very minor quibble, but an important one, I feel. Based on some of the things I've seen you post in this thread, Av027, I'm sure we'd agree on probably 90% of each other's opinion of climate science and what it implies.

I think it's likely that it'll be extremely bad, but I don't think we could possibly ever get to the point of "all life is exterminated" bad. We've already hosed up on an extraordinary, mind boggling level, and it'll almost certainly bring an end to complex technological society in the long run (and may even result in human extinction given a long enough timescale), but I don't think anything we could possibly do would exterminate all life, even global nuclear war. Life has proved pretty hardy over a few billion years, and if there is one thing we can unequivocally take comfort in during these troubling times, it's that. The game of life will continue. If our existence proves too burdensome for the planet, Nature will shrug, think to itself, "It was fun to let the apes take the wheel for a while, but it's time for something more stable," and life will go on.

Yeah, I would say our position on the science and consequences of our actions (and lack thereof) is similar. I suppose as far as the extermination of life, I should probably clarify that I mean that as ecosystems disintegrate, so too does life within that ecosystem. Maybe humans can adapt to exist on some scale (albeit at much lower population levels), but most species do not have that luxury. When their environment changes significantly, or food source disappears, etc, they will become extinct. Let's not forget too, that seemingly small impacts, such as colony collapse disorder (bees), can have devastating chain reactions. This is already impacting agriculture, but if it were to become epidemic, it would be disastrous. Will life still exist somewhere? Of course. But I don't believe there will be much of what currently exists that makes it in the long run.

Your Sledgehammer posted:

I think it's high time that this thread made it an official policy to just ignore Arkane. We know his schtick, we know it's tired old bullshit, so let's move on. Responding or giving him any attention at all only encourages him to post more, so it's best that no one respond to him at all. Let him shout into the darkness while an honest discussion of climate change happens around him. Even the most science illiterate goon who wanders into the thread would be able to see through the lies, I'd hope, and it's not worth degrading the discourse in here just to poke holes in Arkane's fucktard balloon over and over. If he gets ignored for a few weeks on end, he'll give up and hopefully never come back.

I couldn't agree more, and this is basically what I'm getting at. I think most of us feel that we want to correct him, disprove the lies, and ultimately prevent goons that are illiterate on the subject (I've seen plenty that have wandered in here) from taking what Arkane claims as fact. But I think it's folly to continue to attempt to change Arkane's viewpoint (one that I honestly believe he is paid to espouse), as he is obviously not going to change his tune. I also believe that new posters wandering in to the thread can sort it out for themselves in short order by simply reading a page or two - especially since we also reduce the pseudoscience noise by eliminating responses to Arkane, making it easier for a new poster to understand the issues at hand. Arkane is toxic to the thread, and generating several pages of responses to him "proves the controversy". There is no controversy. There's just some rear end in a top hat making GBS threads in the pool. Engaging hasn't worked, it's time to ignore.

Av027 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 29, 2015

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

You mean we have more than 30 years of oil and gas remaining at current and increasing consumption levels and pricing? Get the gently caress out of here.

We have plenty of natural gas and unconventional oil sources remaining, yes. Economics are an open question, but you've seen how shale caused the oil price collapse over the past year.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Av027 posted:

I couldn't agree more, and this is basically what I'm getting at. I think most of us feel that we want to correct him, disprove the lies, and ultimately prevent goons that are illiterate on the subject (I've seen plenty that have wandered in here) from taking what Arkane claims as fact. But I think it's folly to continue to attempt to change Arkane's viewpoint (one that I honestly believe he is paid to espouse), as he is obviously not going to change his tune. I also believe that new posters wandering in to the thread can sort it out for themselves in short order by simply reading a page or two - especially since we also reduce the pseudoscience noise by eliminating responses to Arkane, making it easier for a new poster to understand the issues at hand. Arkane is toxic to the thread, and generating several pages of responses to him "proves the controversy". There is no controversy. There's just some rear end in a top hat making GBS threads in the pool. Engaging hasn't worked, it's time to ignore.

Just make a "this is Arkane posting and it's bullshit [links 1-3 for most common types of Arkane bullshit]" template and post it after every Arkane post :v:

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

or we build nuclear power plants and fusion reactors

I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but this is essentially the same as saying we need a full paradigm shift. Coal and natural gas plants are so much cheaper to build and operate than nuclear that it is almost impossible for them to built in much of the world. Even if you convince some places to take on the additional costs of nuclear plants, they still need the improvements to education and infrastructure to operate and maintain them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Duckaerobics posted:

I don't know if you are being sarcastic, but this is essentially the same as saying we need a full paradigm shift. Coal and natural gas plants are so much cheaper to build and operate than nuclear that it is almost impossible for them to built in much of the world. Even if you convince some places to take on the additional costs of nuclear plants, they still need the improvements to education and infrastructure to operate and maintain them.

Less of a paradigm shift than ~*~smart grids~*~ with substantially reduced energy consumption that in addition follows what sun and wind do instead of being at whichever level people want to use. Nuclear power means we can spend money on continuing to have plentiful energy without producing too much CO2, and then spend energy to avoid other problems such as resource scarcity or land use without rebuilding industrial civilisation from the ground up.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Series DD Funding posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Petroleum will not be gone in 30 years unless we restrict it as part of CC fighting efforts.

The effects of global instability relating to food insecurity are a bigger threat to global petroleum distribution than geology.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

Less of a paradigm shift than ~*~smart grids~*~ with substantially reduced energy consumption that in addition follows what sun and wind do instead of being at whichever level people want to use. Nuclear power means we can spend money on continuing to have plentiful energy without producing too much CO2, and then spend energy to avoid other problems such as resource scarcity or land use without rebuilding industrial civilisation from the ground up.

Seeing how smart grids mainly just means computerization and grid upgrades and that is already happening, it is a vastly smaller shift than magically building a bunch of nukes no one wants to pay for or operate.

Also your scare line about how we can't have reliability if we use renewables is both proven wrong by engineering study after engineering study, and is about as accurate as saying we'll all glow if we use nuclear.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

I think these are great solutions to reduce CO2 output in developed nations that already have the resources to battle climate change. I don't think it's reasonable to expect developing nations to build renewable power grids when coal and natural gas are much cheaper and easier to build and operate. It will take (and has taken) a monumental effort to replace the majority of western nations power generation with renewable or nuclear power sources. I don't see how a global shift is possible without a major change in political and economic thought.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Duckaerobics posted:

I think these are great solutions to reduce CO2 output in developed nations that already have the resources to battle climate change. I don't think it's reasonable to expect developing nations to build renewable power grids when coal and natural gas are much cheaper and easier to build and operate. It will take (and has taken) a monumental effort to replace the majority of western nations power generation with renewable or nuclear power sources. I don't see how a global shift is possible without a major change in political and economic thought.

Yeah, but developing countries are starting from waaaay lower levels of energy use in the first place, so if industrialised countries have low carbon power that also buys time during which developing countries can burn cheap fossil fuel until they themselves become rich enough to afford something better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Duckaerobics posted:

And yet India and China are building them anyway.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

computer parts posted:

And yet India and China are building them anyway.

They're also building a lot of coal and natural gas plants too...

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Seeing how smart grids mainly just means computerization and grid upgrades and that is already happening, it is a vastly smaller shift than magically building a bunch of nukes no one wants to pay for or operate.

Also your scare line about how we can't have reliability if we use renewables is both proven wrong by engineering study after engineering study, and is about as accurate as saying we'll all glow if we use nuclear.

I'm holding my breath till an entire big powergrid (and not just one of many interconnected regions that can fall back on / dump to fossil or nuclear powered neighbours) actually runs on mostly renewables. Aside from exceptions like Norway where shitloads of hydro are available and population density is low, or countries which just build an assload of environmentally destructive biomass powerplants.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Trabisnikof posted:

They're also building a lot of coal and natural gas plants too...

Cool, good for them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

China and India are developing countries (though doing increasingly well) that need cheap electricity in the middle of nowhere right the gently caress now, and furthermore seem to follow an approach of "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" as evidenced by them also building up large renewable capacities. Oh and you conveniently forgot about how China is actually starting to wean itself off coal now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

I'm holding my breath till an entire big powergrid (and not just one of many interconnected regions that can fall back on / dump to fossil or nuclear powered neighbours) actually runs on mostly renewables. Aside from exceptions like Norway where shitloads of hydro are available and population density is low, or countries which just build an assload of environmentally destructive biomass powerplants.

Well, the Texas grid has been seeing peaks of 20%+ Wind and averages above 10% Wind, so it is getting there. And in case you weren't aware, the Texas grid is a distinct grid, not just a regional ISO.

Meanwhile, the engineering for higher than 20% penetration have been heavily modeled and while there are infrastructure costs (new power lines in particular) they're on par with historical spending on electricity infrastructure.

Also, biomass isn't "environmentally destructive" when fueled from waste materials, of which there are Gigawatts worth of waste capacity in the U.S. alone.

blowfish posted:

China and India are developing countries (though doing increasingly well) that need cheap electricity in the middle of nowhere right the gently caress now, and furthermore seem to follow an approach of "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" as evidenced by them also building up large renewable capacities. Oh and you conveniently forgot about how China is actually starting to wean itself off coal now.

Correct, they want coal to only make up 50% of total energy consumption by 2050.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

So how much storage will Texas have on a 80% or more renewable grid, and how much of that will be biomass? In addition, what kind of waste do you want to chuck into biomass, because e.g. anything that can be made into animal feed is much more efficiently converted into animal feed instead of electricity.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

So how much storage will Texas have on a 80% or more renewable grid, and how much of that will be biomass? In addition, what kind of waste do you want to chuck into biomass, because e.g. anything that can be made into animal feed is much more efficiently converted into animal feed instead of electricity.

Well, since you set the goalposts at 80%, I would recommend you look at the RE Futures report from NREL. I'm too lazy to look up the per-grid numbers for you, but for shifting the entire US to 80% renewables would require ~100-150 GW of storage capacity.

I'd also like to point out that we're both ignoring the political/economic feasibility of either 80% nukes or 80% renewables, just looking at engineering and costs here. I don't think we'll hit 80% renewables by 2050 nor will we hit 80% nuclear by 2050.

Good biomass feedstocks include ag waste (we're talking corn stalks, sugar cane wastes and rice hulls etc), landfills, waste water treatment plants and forestry wastes (black liquor etc). Maybe there's some overlap between some ag waste and the ability to make it into animal feed, but I'd argue a slight increase in meat prices would be worth the cost. Especially since waste biomass with CCS could even be a net-negative carbon-equivilent emitter, which is the kind of thing we need.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

I skimmed the first part of the NREL report with the graph showing 100-150GW, which is a meaningless number because having enough storage to provide 150GW for ten minutes or ten hours or ten weeks are completely different requirements. I'll read the whole thing in more detail eventually but there's no mention of the total required storage capacity in the executive summary except handwaving it away as "it works".

e: mentioning how much storage you need is sort of important, because a week or even a single day of storage is going to be loving expensive

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 29, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^
Luckily, as the NREL grid modeling shows, that's not an amount of storage required.

blowfish posted:

I skimmed the first part of the NREL report with the graph showing 100-150GW, which is a meaningless number because having enough storage to provide 150GW for ten minutes or ten hours or ten weeks are completely different requirements. I'll read the whole thing in more detail eventually but there's no mention of the total required storage capacity in the executive summary except handwaving it away as "it works".

Actually one can measure grid storage in watts, which is particularly important when considering reserve load requirements (e.g. in the case of grid-wide renewables):

The Great “Power vs. Energy” Confusion posted:

Energy storage usually means batteries, but there are other ways, like pumped hydro and molten salt. But whatever the technology, there are two performance parameters of interest:

How much total energy can the system store? (Think watt-hours)
How much power can it deliver at any moment? (Think watts)
The usefulness of a storage system depends on both of these quantities. A system that stored an enormous amount of energy wouldn’t be very useful if it could only return that energy a few watts at a time. And a system powerful enough to light up a whole city wouldn’t be good for much if its batteries died after a few minutes.

The moral of this story: storage systems have to be able to store enough energy to last through the “blackout” periods, and they have to be able to deliver that energy fast enough to meet the electrical load. Once you know both the energy storage capacity (say, in megawatt-hours) and the output power (say, megawatts), you can simply divide these numbers to find how long the backup power will last. For example, a 20 megawatt-hour storage facility delivering power at the rate of 2 megawatts will last for 20 ÷ 2, or 10 hours on a full charge.

(http://cleantechnica.com/2015/02/02/power-vs-energy-explanation/)

It is not a meaningless metric at all.

Also, check out the whole volume on storage and renewable technologies if you have detailed questions: http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/52409-2.pdf

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

So how many GWh will be behind those 150 GW? That is sort of important, because the design of your pile of batteries/water reservoirs/whatever will depend on that.

I'm sort of assuming any sane storage system would deliver reasonable wattage because that is the whole point of having storage in the first place, and e.g. hydro isn't known for providing only a small trickle of power for months :v:

I've yet to see a seriously proposed storage system that would completely fail at delivering wattage.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 29, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Let's just grab numbers from the NREL report and assume that 150GW will be enough (I doubt it, but hey, let's be generous), and insist on using GW and not caring about for how long that will last. According to the NREL thing hydro tends to be $1000 per kW ish,
but has gotten more expensive recently in megaprojects, much like that other category of megaproject known as nuclear power plants, but let's just assume this stuff will be done reasonably competently, we'll have an easy supply of valleys to dam up, etc. and roll with $1000. That's 150 billion bucks down the drain for storage even according to the "let's gloss over for how long we need to provide power :toot:" approach, which could fund 15 completely mismanaged Finnish nuclear power plant builds instead, or 30 with standard levels of fuckery :v:

At this point, you're building 75 Hoover dams. Have fun.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 29, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

We have plenty of natural gas and unconventional oil sources remaining, yes. Economics are an open question, but you've seen how shale caused the oil price collapse over the past year.

This is total nonsense, the drop in the price of oil has to do with retaliatory action taken by OPEC/House of Saud, not because we're just producing TOO MUCH SHALE OIL!!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Also that^^^

Yeah. Alternatives to just pumping the stuff straight out of the ground are very expensive, questionable in their longevity and we use petroleum for one hell of a lot more than just transport and logistics. For one, farmers are going to get a double whammy of increased fuel AND increased fertilizer costs starting pretty soon. This will be a significant impact on food prices - even if those prices are already way too high due to distribution, refinement and sale overhead excess plus profit excess - unless corporations are willing to cut prices to the bone to make way way less money off of raw foodstuffs. And I think everyone knows the answer to that one.

Then there's all the other stuff that runs on petroleum. Machine lubricants, industrial chemicals, asphalt and tar, aviation fuel, fertilizer, industrial plastics etc.

The current oil price collapse will not last. The current glut will not last. We can't keep up today's levels of hydrocarbon production for 30 years without huge expenses, and even if we could - we're still running our in 40, 50 or 60 years.

Of course, we're ignoring here what draining every least drop we can from the earth's crust actually means in terms of CO2 levels. If we don't leave that stuff in the ground starting pretty damned soon, then we are barreling at that worst-case scenario at comparatively breakneck speed. Spending energy to get more energy out then spending much more energy trying to scrub the effects of that energy from our closed system to sequester CO2; the single most energy effective thing we can do to stop global warming is leave all that poo poo in the ground, and that's the one thing we absolutely positively will not do.

Paradigm shift, or start preparing. Middle ground is slight damage mitigation at best.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Radbot posted:

This is total nonsense, the drop in the price of oil has to do with retaliatory action taken by OPEC/House of Saud, not because we're just producing TOO MUCH SHALE OIL!!

OPEC didn't increase production until prices had already collapsed:
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-12-11/shale-oils-relentless-production-is-breaking-opecs-neck
http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/OPEC-Output-Up-U.S.-Shale-Down.html

The point is that shale is very economical at the pre-fall prices, and we've got shittons of it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

OPEC didn't increase production until prices had already collapsed:
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2014-12-11/shale-oils-relentless-production-is-breaking-opecs-neck
http://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/OPEC-Output-Up-U.S.-Shale-Down.html

The point is that shale is very economical at the pre-fall prices, and we've got shittons of it.

Lets just ignore the bigger climate picture and do the same old same old. Right.

:allears:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Lets just ignore the bigger climate picture and do the same old same old. Right.

:allears:

I was responding to the contention that in 30 years petroleum will be "gone." If that were actually true stopping AGW would be much easier.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blowfish posted:

Let's just grab numbers from the NREL report and assume that 150GW will be enough (I doubt it, but hey, let's be generous), and insist on using GW and not caring about for how long that will last. According to the NREL thing hydro tends to be $1000 per kW ish,
but has gotten more expensive recently in megaprojects, much like that other category of megaproject known as nuclear power plants, but let's just assume this stuff will be done reasonably competently, we'll have an easy supply of valleys to dam up, etc. and roll with $1000. That's 150 billion bucks down the drain for storage even according to the "let's gloss over for how long we need to provide power :toot:" approach, which could fund 15 completely mismanaged Finnish nuclear power plant builds instead, or 30 with standard levels of fuckery :v:

At this point, you're building 75 Hoover dams. Have fun.

Why are you making up assumptions about what kinds of storage the report suggests, when it in fact lays out in detail what kind of storage they model (hint: it's not all hydro)?

It's almost like you're cherry picking numbers to declare the work of many well respected scientists as suspect because it doesn't meet your ideological views, all without providing evidence of your own...Arkane, is that you?

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Trabisnikof posted:

Also, check out the whole volume on storage and renewable technologies if you have detailed questions: http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy12osti/52409-2.pdf

IMO it's poor form to just post a link to a 300+ page PDF as an argument.

But while skimming it I found a figure suggesting that Lead acid batteries have a higher power density than EDL capacitors, :lol:

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 30, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Why are you making up assumptions about what kinds of storage the report suggests, when it in fact lays out in detail what kind of storage they model (hint: it's not all hydro)?

It's almost like you're cherry picking numbers to declare the work of many well respected scientists as suspect because it doesn't meet your ideological views, all without providing evidence of your own...Arkane, is that you?

The costs per unit output for hydro are at most middle-of-the-road for the stuff evaluated in that report. Building a mix of storage options amounting to 75 Hoover dams will not be cheaper than building 75 actual Hoover dams.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, the Texas grid has been seeing peaks of 20%+ Wind and averages above 10% Wind, so it is getting there. And in case you weren't aware, the Texas grid is a distinct grid, not just a regional ISO.

gently caress, California had to recently ask the wind and solar people to stop supplying power because they were overloading the system.
We are on our way, we just need storage.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Pohl posted:

gently caress, California had to recently ask the wind and solar people to stop supplying power because they were overloading the system.
We are on our way, we just need storage.

You say that like it is a good thing, but that is precisely the problem. "Oh we got a reasonable amount of energy, with power output over time ranging from 1% to 99% of nameplate capacity for an average of 35%" is what actually makes a mainly renewable grid hard to build.
Even in Germany, which covers a reasonable land area and has good renewable penetration compared to most other countries (so the "you're just extrapolating from a tiny number of generators to an entire country" argument doesn't hold water) has major problems with this to the point where German electricity prices (which are adjusted according to supply/demand continously) follow an inverse relationship with renewable power input and occasionally go negative as we have to pay neighbouring countries to burn useless electricity.

Just look at this graph of the craptastic variability in solar/wind output in Germany 2014, as compiled by the Fraunhofer renewable energies institute, which would be our equivalent to the NREL:

:shepicide:

A 2012 study looking at wind power output vs electricity price (MW vs. € per MWh):

:suicide:

Even a few days of storage to buffer electricity output for an industrialised country cost hundreds of billions of dollars (see my previous post)

e: I'm pretty much reposting this every year in the climate/energy threads, and each new renewable energy generation over time plot for Germany looks just as ridiculous as the last one.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 30, 2015

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

blowfish posted:

You say that like it is a good thing, but that is precisely the problem. "Oh we got a reasonable amount of energy, with power output over time ranging from 1% to 99% of nameplate capacity for an average of 35%" is what actually makes a mainly renewable grid hard to build.

Which, as he said, is why we need storage.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Sure, and this proves that everyone can do a thing. Which is nice. Unfortunately, given the global scale of the problem, this won't be nearly enough and in the end might not even be a significant factor - which is what I think people here are saying.

Society can't even stop people from speeding or smoking weed, and a lot of people are poorly educated and living under severe financial strain. These are the people you're expecting to make big changes to their lives, based on what? Your say-so? Their own ability to claw through the propaganda BS and read peer-reviewed scientific articles and form their own well-informed opinion? While simultaneously lacking both the means and the ability. Yeah. This isn't realistic, even if it were somehow effective.

The climate change issue is very closely tied to issues of social equality and democracy; most of the voting public doesn't know about the issue, is misinformed about the issue, doesn't care about the issue compared to their daily challenges and can't afford to do anything about it even if the knew and cared. Compared to the other issues plaguing the majority of the world (not just the US!), global warming isn't even a distant tenth on the list of things people care about, and the reason for that is simple: To the vast majority of people in actually democratic societies, the issue isn't even visible - and won't be until it turns acute. The people in power consider global warming just one issue among many, and won't care to do anything about it so long as it doesn't have immediate benefit to them (let's not kid ourselves here, nobody takes the reins of a nation out of altruism and selflessness, those kinds of people don't come to power).

The reason for climate pessimism is simply that the nature of humanity is working against us as a species and that things won't change until they have to - at which point it will already be too late. People will suffer and die en masse as a result.

The only realistic thing that can happen to stop this is a complete revolution; not only must environmental policy become the foremost concern normally reserved national security and military power but society must change into one that can plan and act with forethought, so that a long-term view of industry, science and production prevails.

This means that as a society, we would have to end corporate and human greed; consumerism and market liberalist capitalism has to become as disgusting a philosophy as social darwinism for this to happen. We would also have to have literal peace on earth; most of the resources spent on military might would have to be redirected towards environmental work and relief efforts to start the massive efforts needed to repair the current damage. And then, once industry is as green as possible (this can only happen with nuclear, but I'm probably preaching to the choir on that topic) and all nations are committing great resources and manpower towards restructuring our society to be sustainable; then it's reasonable to expect people to live lives as environmentally friendly as possible.

In other words, we are - as a species - hosed. The worst case scenario will happen, no magic science will come along to save us from global thermal momentum (what the hell could even do that and who would pay for it?), the poor will get poorer, the rich will get richer until the breaking point where food/water riots erupt and society dissolves into resource-war and chaos. The end will be nukes launched from the first big destabilized nation to experience loss of control of the military to some madman.

Bummer.

Nah we'll be fine.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Anosmoman posted:

Which, as he said, is why we need storage.

Which, as also already said, will be ludicrously expensive even under optimistic assumptions and is therefore going to realistically happen in the same way that Germany will have a nuclear renaissance (protip: too late or never)

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

blowfish posted:

You say that like it is a good thing, but that is precisely the problem.

I don't think you explained this well, if you mean what I think you mean.

Almost everyone, upon hearing that wind is an intermittent source of power, thinks the same thing: "oh no, what about the calm days with no wind? There won't be enough power!"

This is not the problem with wind. No wind power operator has ever had a shortfall problem. This is easy to deal with. No problemo.

The trouble with intermittent generation is harnessing the power when there are high winds. When electric companies tell wind operators "too much power! Shut that down!" that is the problem. All those economics calculation on the cost of wind assume you're able to actually harness and sell the power. If you can't sell it, precisely when its generating the most power, the cost of wind generators goes higher than any other form of energy. By a lot.

In the long run, this is a totally solvable problem for wind, without requiring massive amounts of grid storage or anything like that. Once the transportation infrastructure is electric, you just have the grid tell cars to charge full-speed to soak up power when it's abundant, and charge more slowly when its scarce.\

In the short run, they're building up a lot of grid infrastructure to sell that excess power to where it can be used. Iowa wants to sell to Chicago, for example, so they need to build a big power line to cross that distance.

In the medium-term, there probably needs to be reform of some sort of the grid power pricing structure. IIRC, there's a big problem where some plants could be spun down a little bit when wind is high, but don't because they have a contract to sell all their power all the time to the grid, and the generator wants their money, and the contract makes the grid pay for it. So grid is telling wind to shut down because they've got enough from coal. heh

(e: I'm pro-nukes, btw. Just don't have anything further to say on that side of the argument.)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

crazypenguin posted:

In the long run, this is a totally solvable problem for wind, without requiring massive amounts of grid storage or anything like that. Once the transportation infrastructure is electric, you just have the grid tell cars to charge full-speed to soak up power when it's abundant, and charge more slowly when its scarce.\

Of course this assumes that sufficient numbers of cars are plugged in (and need power) during peak generation.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

crazypenguin posted:

Once the transportation infrastructure is electric, you just have the grid tell cars to charge full-speed to soak up power when it's abundant, and charge more slowly when its scarce.\

I would never, ever buy an electric car that didn't charge as fast as it could every time I plugged it in. Telling anyone who's on low battery "sorry, you can't drive to $location for $time because the wind isn't blowing enough right now" is not going to work. Especially if $location is "the hospital".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hydrogen (or synthetic fuel) cars are more sensible because H and C and O are effectively unlimited and the only thing we need to invest is energy to make the stuff. Any sort of battery uses finite resources that often take effort to reclaim from used batteries. Unless we get super batteries very soon I'd prefer topping up the e-gas in a normal car, and the latter will be less visibly (to the end user) affected by fluctuating charging production rates.

• Locked thread