Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/silent-hills-reportedly-an-xbox-one-exclusive

Rumors stirring that it'll be exclusive to Xbone and win10...kinda stupid if true, you're biggest hype built on one console and sell it on another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Diabetic posted:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/05/29/silent-hills-reportedly-an-xbox-one-exclusive

Rumors stirring that it'll be exclusive to Xbone and win10...kinda stupid if true, you're biggest hype built on one console and sell it on another

The article itself points out incredibly bullshit it is.

-No one is going to pay "billions" for the Silent Hill IP, much less Silent Hills alone. However iconic the series is, its a niche genre and has suffered over the last few games.
-There's no way the game is "80%" done. Compare how much we've seen of Silent Hills (literally nothing) to MGS 5. P.T. and the leaked concept video was the entirety of marketing material that had been done for Silent Hills. Its likely the game was still in relatively early stages of development, possibly pre-production.
-There's no other indication Konami has started selling off IPs or is even interested in it at the moment.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Just to put things in perspective, Saints Row 3 sold like half as much as the Silent Hill franchise combined and Volition was bought for $20-something million. Silent Hill is worth a couple million at most, maybe ten.

Not like Konami is going to get rid of any of their properties. Not when a few carefully branded slot machines and mobile games will make them millions more.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

MarkVega posted:

Considering the glitched view: I thought Simon had human hands (link) when he fell off the broken ladder. Also a meaty thud when he hit the floor. Might as well question what the hell yer seeing in the game is real at all. :gonk:

The implication is that the robots literally see themselves as human; therefore, we see ourselves with human arms and hear meaty thuds when we fall. But yeah, the glitched view could just be us hallucinating and forcing the player (and maybe player character?) to question whether or not we are a robot, rather than making it a straight up twist.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Even if the gameplay itself isn't terrifying (and for all we know it might be-- that was a pretty short, chill section), the story already seems to be going the route of 'subtle, horrific implications', kind of like the short story 'The Extra' (worth a read btw, especially if you're in this thread).

Regardless, I'm pumped. I wonder if that bit at the end was a choice point? It looked like you could choose to shut off the power on Carl, instead.

The Extra was cool, reminded me of Fat Farm which is also a cool read.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

AnonSpore posted:

:toot: good read, thanks for that.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I get a serious I Am Legend vibe from SOMA. The voice crying out when he pulled those two plugs from the console, and the robot guy who insisted he was human and thought the protagonist was crazy or stupid for not being able to realize it both give the impression that the world has moved on in a way that the protagonist/player is unaware of or hasn't come to terms with yet and that he's doing more harm than good.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not entirely sure it makes sense to spoiler things that are just speculation for a game that isn't out yet, all of which is based on publicly released trailers.

There is definitely going to be something about perception in the game though - the robots clearly see themselves as human, and although "you are really a robot!" would be kind of an obvious twist, it could still work if it was something that was revealed early on rather than right at the end. That way the game would be more about exploring the implications of it, and also make you question just how much of what you're seeing is actually "real". Maybe the robots that think they're human actually ARE humans and you're just seeing them as robots. Maybe they are just robots, but are part of some kind of experiment to upload people's minds into machines that ended up working TOO well (I recall something from one of the very early gameplay trailers where it begins with the protagonist pulling a big plug out of the back of their head a-la the Matrix).

There's a lot of interesting stuff going on and apparently the recent trailer was picked so as to not spoil too much, which means there's probably a lot more yet to be revealed as well.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Also, to people seeing the gameplay trailer doesn't look scary: unfortunately, gameplay trailers are never really going to sell how scary a game is. IMO the trailers for Amnesia weren't scary either--the only reason I ended up checking out that game was because of Yahtzee's review, actually.

Plus, let's not forget that the opposite can also be true. The trailers for Hamnesia made that game look way more intense than it actually turned out to be. :v:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

AnonSpore posted:

That was a good read. Thanks.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

MarkVega posted:

Considering the glitched view: I thought Simon had human hands (link) when he fell off the broken ladder. Also a meaty thud when he hit the floor. Might as well question what the hell yer seeing in the game is real at all. :gonk:

Considering the ladder broke cleanly as soon as you hung on to it, you are probably way too heavy for it.

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Even if the gameplay itself isn't terrifying (and for all we know it might be-- that was a pretty short, chill section), the story already seems to be going the route of 'subtle, horrific implications', kind of like the short story 'The Extra' (worth a read btw, especially if you're in this thread).

Regardless, I'm pumped. I wonder if that bit at the end was a choice point? It looked like you could choose to shut off the power on Carl, instead.

The Extra is one of my favourite short stories.

Anyway, if you're familiar with psychology (read Oliver Sack's classic book), you would be familiar with the fact that damage to parts of your brain can selectively inhibit your cognition. You can simply lose proprioception or language recognition. You can fail to recognise objects. You can lose the ability to recognise the very concept of the left side of any object. You can be convinced that you are already dead. Your eyes can be perfectly intact, but you can be unable to see.

Alot of horror games fill their levels with hostile madmen. They can take a variety of forms: zombies, splicers, robots, aliens, but in all case they cannot be negotiated with, and are unrelentingly hostile.

What Soma seems to be trying to do is fill the levels with humans perfectly capable of making casual conversation, but with portions of their cognition excised out. You are not completely alone, you are capable of negotiating with them. But the horror is that there is no distinct line separating you from your fellow monsters, can you be intellectually aware of the similarities, but you believe in your heart of hearts that you are completely human.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 31, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Phobophilia posted:

Considering the ladder broke cleanly as soon as you hung on to it, you are probably way too heavy for it.

Anyway, if you're familiar with psychology (read Oliver Sack's classic book), you would be familiar with the fact that damage to parts of your brain can selectively inhibit your cognition. You can simply lose proprioception or language recognition. You can fail to recognise objects. You can lose the ability to recognise the very concept of the left side of any object. You can be convinced that you are already dead. Your eyes can be perfectly intact, but you can be [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight]unable to see.

Alot of horror games fill their levels with hostile madmen. They can take a variety of forms: zombies, splicers, robots, aliens, but in all case they cannot be negotiated with, and are unrelentingly hostile.

What Soma seems to be trying to do is fill the levels with humans perfectly capable of making casual conversation, but with portions of their cognition excised out. You are not completely alone, you are capable of negotiating with them. But the horror is that there is no distinct line separating you from your fellow monsters, can you be intellectually aware of the similarities, but you believe in your heart of hearts that you are completely human.

Sheeeeit. Wasn't expecting this from the Horror Games thread. Thank you, too.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Phobophilia posted:

Anyway, if you're familiar with psychology (read Oliver Sack's classic book), you would be familiar with the fact that damage to parts of your brain can selectively inhibit your cognition. You can simply lose proprioception or language recognition. You can fail to recognise objects. You can lose the ability to recognise the very concept of the left side of any object. You can be convinced that you are already dead. Your eyes can be perfectly intact, but you can be unable to see.

In one of the earlier video's they released we saw the player walk by people on tables where the top half of the skull was swapped out for a device. It seemed to suggest that our protag may be remotely controlling his body; his actual brains stored someplace and hooked in wirelessly to the device that has replaced the original brain in his body.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mindblast posted:

In one of the earlier video's they released we saw the player walk by people on tables where the top half of the skull was swapped out for a device. It seemed to suggest that our protag may be remotely controlling his body; his actual brains stored someplace and hooked in wirelessly to the device that has replaced the original brain in his body.

That is another possibility. But that is much easier to solve, all the player character needs to do is find a mirror, touch their skull.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

That is another possibility. But that is much easier to solve, all the player character needs to do is find a mirror, touch their skull.

This will be difficult as video games do not have mirrors.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
A shard of glass, or a still pool of water, can also fulfill that task.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

al-azad posted:

This will be difficult as video games do not have mirrors.

Much like the moon landings, it's a technology we once had but is lost to us now.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

A shard of glass, or a still pool of water, can also fulfill that task.

Again, video games do not have reflective surfaces. We lost that technology after the Voodoo wars in the turn of the century, when 3dfx fell to Nvidia and was consumed by her mass. Some people still remember the old ways, the old guard who keep the secrets of the past, but they too have fallen. The giants try to distract us with hair physics and particle effects, but those of us who remember the old days lament all that's been lost. Our video game avatars are forced to wander their worlds like vampires, totally invisible to reflection.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Fox Engine attempted to bring back these secrets but was found dead in a Japanese gambling den.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Phobophilia posted:

I'm guessing the thing preventing that is that it doesn't actually occur to the protagonist that they're in any way mechanical. When the ladder falls off and you see your human hands, they're probably robot ones and your huge body just ripped what would be a fairly sturdy ladder off due to your mass, but the character himself doesn't perceive it as anything more than shoddy craftsmanship. It's like The Matrix where Neo can't feel his neural jack when he's actually inside of it.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 31, 2015

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
So the player sees robots, and the robots see a human. I wonder if the robots ever see other robots and describe what they see?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Phobophilia posted:

No reason to, they know they're human so why check? That and a hundred different excuses could easily be made. The way the robots act in the game and live action trailer is based on a real psychological thing where a subject may be utterly convinced of a certain fact(ie a cripple convinced they can walk) yet when challenged will come up with all sorts of reasons why they won't ('I'm tired so I don't feel like standing up'). If pushed into a corner (mean example: pull chair away from cripple) so as to force reality upon them they will just come up with something even more far fetched('you caught me by surprise'). If that fails and nothing is left they will get super agitated instead but no matter what they will not acknowledge reality.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That's probably what will happen, the player character has a voice and therefore a pre-determined personality, and so there will probably be a deliberate disconnect between what the player knows and the PC knows. It can be used to build dramatic tension, or it could be infuriating as hell if it gets pushed too far.

It would be cool if the PC worked out that his perspective of the world was flawed at the midgame, but only on an intellectual level, and not enough to always make the correct decisions in a crisis.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Phobophilia posted:

Thanks for the link!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Phobophilia posted:

I really like this and I'm hoping SOMA is at all like this. Anyone know if it's like most of the recent horror games where you aren't allowed to try and fight back and have to run from everything?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

PSWII60 posted:

I really like this and I'm hoping SOMA is at all like this. Anyone know if it's like most of the recent horror games where you aren't allowed to try and fight back and have to run from everything?

Amnesia was like that and by all accounts Frictional was satisfied with how that turned out, so I expect this to be the same.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

MarkVega posted:

Calling it now you are the only robot, you see everyone else as robots but they are actually people, there will be a scene where you have to destroy a robot and then bam turns out you just straight killed a guy

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Jmcrofts posted:

Amnesia was like that and by all accounts Frictional was satisfied with how that turned out, so I expect this to be the same.

Wasn't the relatively unexpected megasuccess of Amnesia the reason why that's a trend of modern horror games in the first place?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

Wasn't the relatively unexpected megasuccess of Amnesia the reason why that's a trend of modern horror games in the first place?

pretty loving good point

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

Yeah that's the status quo. One game does something semi successfully and everyone copies the hell out of it.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah that's the status quo. One game does something semi successfully and everyone copies the hell out of it.

Out of curiosity, are any of the status quo following games that have been released since any good? I played Amnesia and loved it, but I've never really gotten around to playing Outlast or any of the other major releases that used the same "you can't fight them" idea.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
This PT thing seems kinda poo poo honestly and if I'd be real mad if it was any indication of what the next game would be like. I've read it's possible to beat it without a mic I tried the various methods for about a half hour before giving up. Puzzles were too nebulous - The 1st baby laugh triggered for me once on one attempt (after midnight, photos pieced together) then wouldn't again. It's a load off my mind to not feel like I'm missing much by SH being trashcanned. I liked this bit though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpRLoyHQHyM

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Relin posted:

This PT thing seems kinda poo poo honestly and if I'd be real mad if it was any indication of what the next game would be like. I've read it's possible to beat it without a mic I tried the various methods for about a half hour before giving up. Puzzles were too nebulous - The 1st baby laugh triggered for me once on one attempt (after midnight, photos pieced together) then wouldn't again. It's a load off my mind to not feel like I'm missing much by SH being trashcanned. I liked this bit though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpRLoyHQHyM

Trying to play it by trying to force individual flags seems like the opposite way you're supposed to play PT

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

MockingQuantum posted:

Out of curiosity, are any of the status quo following games that have been released since any good? I played Amnesia and loved it, but I've never really gotten around to playing Outlast or any of the other major releases that used the same "you can't fight them" idea.

Outlast certainly has its moments. I even liked the dlc, but that's a :can: for this thread.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
imscared is possibly getting an expansion or a sequel. Here's HarshlyCritical's playthrough of the demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=topqbOn51nA

The website's description isn't totally clear so it could just be a teaser for the original game now that it's on greenlight, but I'm really hoping it's an upcoming sequel, or at least a Steam exclusive expansion.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Jmcrofts posted:

drat, I was hoping for something more like Alien Isolation's you can fight back bu it's not particularly effective.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Horror games really need an option to fight back, even if it's useless, because it lets the player make fight or flight decisions.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Phobophilia posted:

Horror games really need an option to fight back, even if it's useless, because it lets the player make fight or flight decisions.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of having no recourse whatsoever. It can lead to more aggravating moments than actually scary. It's like a forced stealth segment in any other genre, but throughout the whole game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

When given the choice a player will always fight back. It's hardwired in our brains because that's what you do in 99.99% of games. If the player has a weapon that does nothing they'll blame the game. If the enemy is too strong they'll keep reloading a save thinking they're doing something wrong.

I don't know how you express to a player that sometimes they need to run and other times stand their ground. I think maybe if there were environmental actions like opening steam valves or the laser barriers in Dino Crisis rather than actual equip-able weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

When given the choice a player will always fight back. It's hardwired in our brains because that's what you do in 99.99% of games. If the player has a weapon that does nothing they'll blame the game. If the enemy is too strong they'll keep reloading a save thinking they're doing something wrong.

I don't know how you express to a player that sometimes they need to run and other times stand their ground. I think maybe if there were environmental actions like opening steam valves or the laser barriers in Dino Crisis rather than actual equip-able weapons.

Yeah if you give a player a lovely weapon they'll just complain that the game has lovely combat rather than realizing you aren't supposed to use it. It's the main reason they dropped combat entirely from Amnesia; the Penumbra games did let you kill enemies but it was awkward and generally not worth the effort. But because the option was there people would stubbornly insist on doing it rather than sneaking around like they were supposed to.

A big issue is that even in a lot of games which sell themselves as being stealth oriented you're still a fairly formidable combatant - look at the recent MGS games or Dishonored for examples. It works fine in those games because that's just how they're designed to be played, but it does still mean that people will go into any "stealth" game with the impression that they can brute force their way through the game.