Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Gah, and here I've been toying around with the thought of building up a whole Company of Death Guard because com,e the gently caress on, a whole Battle Company. I wish they'd make the dudes actually usable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

BirdieBedtime posted:

Yeah, stealthily. No announcements or anything. When the new Blood Angels tac squad came out they came with 32mm bases and that was the first anybody saw of them. Now Forge World is doing their newer models on 32mm. The execution was super dumb, but honestly I dig the new size, especially for the way I do marines with wide stances and conversions and junk. However, I'm only switching because I have a bunch of models without finished bases. If this army were mostly done I'd just ignore the change.

At first I was like gently caress you GW, but the 32mm look so much better now that I have a few with them. It's just like this thread, at first everyone is like... well never mind this thread is always like gently caress you GW.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Stanyer89 posted:

At first I was like gently caress you GW, but the 32mm look so much better now that I have a few with them. It's just like this thread, at first everyone is like... well never mind this thread is always like gently caress you GW.

To be fair, GW deserves that attitude.

And I still don't like the 32mm bases because they gently caress with my terrain designs and storage solutions.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

TheChirurgeon posted:

To be fair, GW deserves that attitude.

And I still don't like the 32mm bases because they gently caress with my terrain designs and storage solutions.

Yeah, while I think they are an aesthetic improvement, they cause a lot of modeling issues that I'm glad I have yet to have to deal with. It makes me wary about expanding my CSM more. Good thing GW has been pumping out all sorts of Eldar poo poo to keep me occupied. :v:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Playing a 50k pts a a side apoc game. 2 reavers 2 warhounds and a warlord (gargant). Exhausting but epic... Looks like an imperial victory in sight after a final turn precision objective drop with 3000 pts of blood angels reserves.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Hencoe posted:

Just an FYI you can't take a master of the legion in a sub 1k game, if they don't care then go for it.

From the wording in Betrayal it would look like I'm doing the right thing, as it's

'A Space Marine Legion army may only include a single model with this rule as part of their HQ force selection per 1,000 points in the force.'

I'd interpret that as 0-1999 - 1 praetor, 2000-2999 - 2 praetors, etc.

Was this changed in the Little Red Book, which I'll be getting because gently caress lugging the HH books around.

I just wish they'd do one for Mechanicum.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Swap meet haul:

2 monoliths
Nightbringer
Old school lord
6 destroyers
2 wraiths
12 warriors
3 zoanthropes w/rules
Old 3rd edition Archon
3 Cadian squads with HWT
2 plasma Cadian SWT
2 command squads
Yarrick
Delaque gang of 10
poo poo ton of paint
Aegis defense line
7 spore mines

About $100 spent total.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got my copy of Tempest. The militia list is really customizable. Every unit starts with crappy little guns with tons of options for upgrades. On top of that, there are army-wide upgrades you can take for things like cybernetic implants for a 6+ invulnerable, +1 to all armor saves and stormtrooper equivalents riding around in land raiders, super-soldiers with +1 to S/I, abhumans with +1 T and bomb collars, or you can make a demon-worshipping horde of mutants with psykers and chaos spawn. Some of these come with pretty harsh restrictions though. For example, warp cults get zealot and can make a disordered charge after shooting non-assault weapons, but models can only snapfire and they have to charge if at all possible.

Oh, also the fluff for the new Ultramarines terminators staight-up says that Guilliman stole the idea after seeing Tyrant siege terminators in action. Sorry, Bulbasaur.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Don't worry, Bulbasaur has company in his unrelenting bitterness now I wanted to start Heresy Iron Warriors and found out they don't even have a brass etch sheet.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Thundercloud posted:

From the wording in Betrayal it would look like I'm doing the right thing, as it's

'A Space Marine Legion army may only include a single model with this rule as part of their HQ force selection per 1,000 points in the force.'

I'd interpret that as 0-1999 - 1 praetor, 2000-2999 - 2 praetors, etc.

Was this changed in the Little Red Book, which I'll be getting because gently caress lugging the HH books around.

I just wish they'd do one for Mechanicum.

huh, I always saw it as 1000-1999 = 1 MoTL because of the "may only include per 1000 points" SO I might just have a wrong understanding of it, my bad.

and yes, they do need a red AdMech book.

Thundercloud posted:

Don't worry, Bulbasaur has company in his unrelenting bitterness now I wanted to start Heresy Iron Warriors and found out they don't even have a brass etch sheet.

There are more than a few.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
33-51 to the imperium!

Will post pics later

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
so Dark Angels are being rolled into the main codex, finally?

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

quote:

re: Master of the Legion chat

The Delegatus centurion is explicitly made for small-points games, so I'd interpret one as being an a-okay choice for a 500 point game, even though the unit entry points back to the main Master of the Legion rule.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I wish.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Honestly this would be one of the only ways I think they will be viable again, unless they gave each Deathwatch Knight D strength smite. Ordered three Stormtalons and am waiting to see what they do with C:SM and DA before I paint them.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I wonder if they will try to do something to make assault marines good, now that they have a new kit. Probably not, but I'd be surprised if they weren't part of the tax for using one of the new detatchments.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Do Knights get used a lot in tournies then? I know the Fantasy meta got changed into sorta insane giant heros and monsters or gtfo with End Times, are Knights and the other bigass units sorta the 40k equivalent now? Also can you get deffstompas or whatever as easily?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

Do Knights get used a lot in tournies then? I know the Fantasy meta got changed into sorta insane giant heros and monsters or gtfo with End Times, are Knights and the other bigass units sorta the 40k equivalent now? Also can you get deffstompas or whatever as easily?

Yes and no. Some tournaments allow the use of them while others have banned the whole codex all together. The shock and awe of seeing 3 to 5 of them is diminishing now, the good players that you will see have lists and the skills to counter a 5 model knight list.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Forgive the out of the blue nature of this question, but I'm tired of combing badly put together Mod DB profiles and google searching it.

Any good mods for Soul Storm that actually effect the campaign? I doubt it myself at this point I must ask.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SeanBeansShako posted:

Forgive the out of the blue nature of this question, but I'm tired of combing badly put together Mod DB profiles and google searching it.

Any good mods for Soul Storm that actually effect the campaign? I doubt it myself at this point I must ask.

What

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dawn Of War Soul Storm, the bad expansion pack for the RTS PC Game that came out ages ago. The campaign is bland and I'm wondering if any goon can suggest any mods that make it suck less.

Unless there is a Warhammer video games thread I've missed, point me that way to get an answer.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 30, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
500 points for 30k is crazy small. Are you playing in Zone Mortalis or on a small regular table?

ineptmule posted:

Dudes what paint hazard stripes well: what thickness of masking tape do you use? I want to get this skill into my repertoire and every attempt at doing it freehand has been awful.

I'm talking about on chainswords and stuff.

I use micron pens because I can't freehand for poo poo. I get decent results with it, like the marks on the shield, stripe on the barrel, chainsword, and power cables. Just make sure it's .01 (smallest size):

Thundercloud posted:

Let the bitter hatred overtake you

It is a good pain

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

500 points for 30k is crazy small. Are you playing in Zone Mortalis or on a small regular table?

I use micron pens because I can't freehand for poo poo. I get decent results with it, like the marks on the shield, stripe on the barrel, chainsword, and power cables. Just make sure it's .01 (smallest size):

Let the bitter hatred overtake you

It is a good pain

You can get Micron pens that are smaller -- 0.005. That's what I use for my detail work when it's too small/delicate to freehand.

I freehand my Chevrons, though. Sometimes sketch them with a pencil first.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Have you played Ultimate Apocalypse? It recently updated and its great. I think it even has Imperator Titans now.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

PierreTheMime posted:

40k has a very rich background that, unsurprisingly, has a lot of very lovely novels written about it. How to best decide what to read, then? Essentially, if it’s written by Dan Abnett or Aaron Dembski-Bowden, pick it up. Otherwise, don’t be afraid to ask here for advice.

I know from W40K only from video games. I've played Dawn of War I & II (including all the expansions), Space Marine and Space Hulk. I'm fairly familiar with the setting (spent way to many hours on the wiki, on top of the games), and I like how such an over-the-top world can still have such a rich and, apparently, coherent background.

Anyway, I'd like to read a few novels about this. I don't mind if they are a bit cheesy. It'll be a guilty pleasure (probably). I would prefer stuff about Space Marines (of course) but if any novel is particularly good I'd consider it. What would be the, say, top 5 W40K novels to read?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Furism posted:

I know from W40K only from video games. I've played Dawn of War I & II (including all the expansions), Space Marine and Space Hulk. I'm fairly familiar with the setting (spent way to many hours on the wiki, on top of the games), and I like how such an over-the-top world can still have such a rich and, apparently, coherent background.

Anyway, I'd like to read a few novels about this. I don't mind if they are a bit cheesy. It'll be a guilty pleasure (probably). I would prefer stuff about Space Marines (of course) but if any novel is particularly good I'd consider it. What would be the, say, top 5 W40K novels to read?

About Marines? The Soul Hunter Trilogy. They're the top 3.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

ijyt posted:

Have you played Ultimate Apocalypse? It recently updated and its great. I think it even has Imperator Titans now.

I have it, though it really is just for skirmish mode and multiplayer. The actual risk style campaign itself has nothing to do with the mod, I'm basically looking to see if there is anything that improves that.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Dawn Of War Soul Storm, the bad expansion pack for the RTS PC Game that came out ages ago. The campaign is bland and I'm wondering if any goon can suggest any mods that make it suck less.

Unless there is a Warhammer video games thread I've missed, point me that way to get an answer.

That campaign legitimately distressed me. Why would you alter Dark Crusade's gameplay so that players have to start all over again from scratch every single time they defend a territory? Why would that strike you as a fun decision?

There are no answers.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

A Warhammer store (the first "Warhammer" in North America) opened in my hometown today so I decided to go check it out and get some grand opening goodies, and there was some fat dude with a huge beard and a Monty Python T-Shirt sperging about the Iron Hands Horus Heresy novel, and I figure he must be a goon, so which one of you nerds also went to a Warhammer store grand opening today?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

About Marines? The Soul Hunter Trilogy. They're the top 3.

Toss in Mechanicum to that list. It's a slow burn kind of novel, but the finale pays off.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Furism posted:

If you enjoy Heresy-related stuff The Talon of Horus by ADB is fantastic and completely turned my opinion on Abaddon and how he's characterized. It's not especially action-oriented but there's a ton of interesting background and characters.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 31, 2015

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
New Battleforce boxes coming out:
http://puu.sh/i6aR3/f8cc2d30de.jpg
http://puu.sh/i6aSs/2715b07c25.jpg

I think these are OK, but would it kill GW to put out a battleforce box that acts as a real starter kit for an army, i.e. with 1 HQ, 2 troops, and maybe 1 other unit? Seems like poor policy.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 31, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
are those zoomed in pictures of a much larger picture of the 'battle force'?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
That looks like it could be 1HQ, 2 troops (5 man tactical squads) and a dread. But yeah, it's nothing to get excited about. I think it would be much more impressive if it had a droppod or rhino, but then I guess it'd be stepping on the shoes of the last vanilla space marine starter box.

Also, cross posting from oath thread the daemon prince and a bunch of bloodletters from the Blooded Blades warband.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think these are OK, but would it kill GW to put out a battleforce box that acts as a real starter kit for an army, i.e. with 1 HQ, 2 troops, and maybe 1 other unit? Seems like poor policy.

Isn't that exactly what's shown in those pictures?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Furism posted:

There's an entire thread dedicated to the 40k books. Ask in that thread.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Black Templars battle force leaked:
http://i.imgur.com/7kRlecT.jpg

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think these are closer to 450-500 point forces.

Which might be a good idea if there were some sort of game mode geared towards that and properly play tested.

Character plus tac squad plus dreadnought is a bit limited.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I would play a properly designed and playtested 500pt ish skirmish game of 40k

If that was a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Thundercloud posted:

I think these are closer to 450-500 point forces.

Which might be a good idea if there were some sort of game mode geared towards that and properly play tested.

Character plus tac squad plus dreadnought is a bit limited.

Isn't that what Kill Team and Zone Mortalis are?

• Locked thread