Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

It's also worth remembering that this game came out in Japan in 2002. At the time, the only competition in the MMO space was old games like the original Everquest or Ultima Online. World of Warcraft, like it or not, had a massive influence on the genre, and it wouldn't come out until over two years after FFXI, never mind how long it took WoW to develop into the game it was at its' subscription peak. So no one knew it could be done in a less insane fashion, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dadjacket posted:

Anyway I haven't asked anyone for a pearl yet and I just discovered that I can't take trusts with me to do the eco-warrior quest in Windurst. Would anyone in the general Windurst/Sarutabaruta areas be willing to give me a pearl so I can party up and clear those vermin? Character name on Asura is Haswares.

Eco-Warrior is and has always been a vile and hateful thing that's best handled by deliberately ignoring it whenever you see it in your log. The general idea was "arrange a party/alliance of players willing to put up with a level cap (and before level sync, suitably low level gear as well) to fight through a bunch of crap, ending with a typically annoying/dangerous final boss (which sometimes wiped your whole group), to get an exp scroll with a piteously small reward like 500 experience".

See if they ever remove the level cap from it, and if they do, knock it out then. Until then, best to act like you never picked it up.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Dadjacket posted:

I'm playing this game for the first time and after reading all of the ways that it used to be harder and more impenetrable I sort of can't believe so many people loved it back then. I mean I'm loving it now but without things like warp crystals and records of eminence I think I would've lost patience long ago. I'm mostly soloing though and that might make a difference.

Anyway I haven't asked anyone for a pearl yet and I just discovered that I can't take trusts with me to do the eco-warrior quest in Windurst. Would anyone in the general Windurst/Sarutabaruta areas be willing to give me a pearl so I can party up and clear those vermin? Character name on Asura is Haswares.

You can't just timewarp to 2002/2003 and not realize that FFXI actually was a lot easier and had sweet rear end graphics compared to EQ1 and the other mmorpgs that came before it. It took almost a year to get to level 60 in eq1. When ffxi first came out it only took about three to four months to get your first job to 60.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
I'm fully aware they're trading the sense of exploration and incredible accomplishment that the old game had for ease of use and I totally recognize that kind of appeal. It also probably feels now like everyone is a tourist now. So I get it, but it absolutely would not have been for me and I'm glad I decided to pick it up when I did.

Also Vil I'll take your advice and skip it. MMOs are already terrible for my quest log compulsiveness and so I'll try my best to not let it bug me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Dadjacket posted:

I'm fully aware they're trading the sense of exploration and incredible accomplishment that the old game had for ease of use and I totally recognize that kind of appeal. It also probably feels now like everyone is a tourist now. So I get it, but it absolutely would not have been for me and I'm glad I decided to pick it up when I did.

Also Vil I'll take your advice and skip it. MMOs are already terrible for my quest log compulsiveness and so I'll try my best to not let it bug me.

Eco-Warrior (Windurst) has bugged me for the past ten goddamn years.:shepface:

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
I had a friend help me with the Blue mage AF hat mindflayer before he left to get ready for work. He smote it quickly, and logged off. I forgot to click the ??? again for the final cutscene and assumed it was back in aht urghan and went back to promptly get one shot by the mindflayer :cripes:

edit: oh and you apparently have to wait until JP midnight for every single piece of crafted AF. Jesus christ.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Filthy Haiku posted:

I had a friend help me with the Blue mage AF hat mindflayer before he left to get ready for work. He smote it quickly, and logged off. I forgot to click the ??? again for the final cutscene and assumed it was back in aht urghan and went back to promptly get one shot by the mindflayer :cripes:

edit: oh and you apparently have to wait until JP midnight for every single piece of crafted AF. Jesus christ.

Welcome to old school SE. Fortunately, Aht Urghan is the only area that still has wait until JP midnight. They might change those too, who knows.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Gruknor posted:

Welcome to old school SE. Fortunately, Aht Urghan is the only area that still has wait until JP midnight. They might change those too, who knows.

Oh, I'm quite familiar with SE's old school bullshit, I just managed to play a slightly less stupid class in the day. Is there anyone online tonight on asura that can give me a pearl? I'm in game as Sugilite.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Shinjobi posted:

You really felt like an adventurer back in the old days. Did it suck that on chocobo-back it could still take 45 minutes to get from A to B? Yes. Did it feel like you were actually exploring poo poo though? Absolutely.

But yeah I'm 26 now and I really don't have time to explore.:smith:

Yeah. Things were different back then, and I am almost literally a different person then. I first played FFXI when I was fourteen. I'm now 28. I have a job and a life now. I was pretty much at the right age and the right time and place for the game to make an impact on me. If FFXI today was the same game it was in say, 2005, I would never, ever consider playing it ever again.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

mulodyne posted:

e: also is DNC/NIN still a decent solo setup?
For endgame soloing or exp? If you're just leveling DNC, /nin isn't needed at all and is actually kind of a waste.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
Anybody know if exiled is still around? Got lots of things to skillup :v:

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

LiquidFriend posted:

For endgame soloing or exp? If you're just leveling DNC, /nin isn't needed at all and is actually kind of a waste.

Yeah, I realized that halfway through the NIN unlock quest. Oh well! At least I've got it done now

also it looks like the Samurai unlock quest is still a 3 hour wait, but at least that's peanuts compared to a full JP night cycle

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Kithyen posted:

Anybody know if exiled is still around? Got lots of things to skillup :v:

Don't bot. You will get banned, fast. SE has been cracking down hard. Mass farm RoE and dump it on books, or just buy books from people. I frequently cap points and often hand out books for free.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

Don't bot. You will get banned, fast. SE has been cracking down hard. Mass farm RoE and dump it on books, or just buy books from people. I frequently cap points and often hand out books for free.

Exiled still is handy for craft skilling as you can't throw books at it.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Exiled still is handy for craft skilling as you can't throw books at it.

What? You literally can now. There are crafting kits that take you into like the 60s. And to top it off, you can now skill up on crafts 1 to 9.9 skill below where you are at, making 110 much less of a gil sucking slog.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

What? You literally can now. There are crafting kits that take you into like the 60s. And to top it off, you can now skill up on crafts 1 to 9.9 skill below where you are at, making 110 much less of a gil sucking slog.
Yeah but actually hitting the synth button over and over is :effort:

Much easier to script up the bot to do it for you while you eat a poptart.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

Yeah but actually hitting the synth button over and over is :effort:

Much easier to script up the bot to do it for you while you eat a poptart.

There is also the /lastsynth shortcut too :v

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

frodnonnag posted:

There is also the /lastsynth shortcut too :v

Now he just needs a bot to input that for him, over and over again!

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Valle posted:

Yes and stop when the synth caps out :v:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Valle posted:

And that is speculated where they are nabbing you. Current speculation is how inputs are (or are not) triggering a specific process like the idle detection.. Alot of the automated process bots dont trigger this proces and speculation is they are logging it and banning once it flags.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 31, 2015

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

frodnonnag posted:

And that is speculated where they are nabbing you. Current speculation is how inputs are (or are not) triggering a specific process like the idle detection.. Alot of the automated process bots dont trigger this proces and speculation is they are logging it and banning once it flags.
I really doubt S-E has put in enough effort to make an advanced detection tool in a game they're killing off. I'd say probably 95% of the players getting nuked are being flagged for past cheating that S-E is slowly getting to, as the STF is probably just one poor intern by now.

Sure they were only running at 12% enhanced speed since ban waves started, but a lot of dudes were likely skating around at 200% in a BC awhile ago.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

LiquidFriend posted:

I really doubt S-E has put in enough effort to make an advanced detection tool in a game they're killing off. I'd say probably 95% of the players getting nuked are being flagged for past cheating that S-E is slowly getting to, as the STF is probably just one poor intern by now.

Sure they were only running at 12% enhanced speed since ban waves started, but a lot of dudes were likely skating around at 200% in a BC awhile ago.

Like us? :v:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

No........yes :v:

Ace Attorney
Aug 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

You really felt like an adventurer back in the old days. Did it suck that on chocobo-back it could still take 45 minutes to get from A to B? Yes. Did it feel like you were actually exploring poo poo though? Absolutely.

But yeah I'm 26 now and I really don't have time to explore.:smith:

And you finally did Sky last night. How did it feel, bro?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ace Attorney posted:

And you finally did Sky last night. How did it feel, bro?

I pooped on Kirin and stole his pole.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Anyone in the shell have Synergy 60 or higher? I'd like to merge these elemental obis now that I have all 8, and I need a synergy guy to do it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shinjobi posted:

I pooped on Kirin and stole his pole.

Tonight I pooped on Absolute Virtue and stole his

uh....rod. I think I've got a gimmick.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Shinjobi posted:

Tonight I pooped on Absolute Virtue and stole his

uh....rod. I think I've got a gimmick.

The first step is to admit you have a problem.

ThereWillBeBitcoin
Oct 8, 2013
Is there a faster way to update the game on a fresh install?

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

frodnonnag posted:

Meh I was under the impression that unless you're afk or blowing thru walls at 300% speed their really wasn't a way to detect you. I had no intention of not being at the computer. Just something to put in on the background while I study :v:

ThereWillBeBitcoin posted:

Is there a faster way to update the game on a fresh install?

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php

Please be careful when following the guide.

Kithyen fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 1, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

We killed AV in about... 30 seconds. It look longer to walk there than it did to kill him.

I feel so... wrong. A hallow victory indeed.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

We killed AV in about... 30 seconds. It look longer to walk there than it did to kill him.

I feel so... wrong. A hallow victory indeed.

I can one hit every form of pandemonium warden except his last, which i can 3 hit. It can still kill me though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

frodnonnag posted:

I can one hit every form of pandemonium warden except his last, which i can 3 hit. It can still kill me though.

Let's all get mythics then.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
If you haven't picked up your 2h recharge xp/cp rings, you have until 4am eastern Tuesday.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

If you haven't picked up your 2h recharge xp/cp rings, you have until 4am eastern Tuesday.

Those were the ones from the stats moogle, right? So many bonus items.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

CubsWoo posted:

poo poo, this and trust: kupo and the clock are what I'm doing tonight then.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Wait, what's the clock?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Wait, what's the clock?

The rewards for the Behemoth skillchain event are the Kupofried trust and the Vana'clock, its a furnishing that gives you a +xp bonus that stacks with everything else when placed in your house.

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
You get Kupofriend Trust for getting 10 heroism, but I believe you get the clock for participating in a behemoth kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Did they turn off double EXP just for today?