Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Question about gwent with old friends in Novigrad:

Took a side quest where you meet Lambert. It seems that you can only play gwent with him after you go to Skellige, finish the part of his quest there, then go back to Nowhere Inn in Novigrad to meet him and play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm trying to reach a Point of Interest in the southern part of the Velen map. Is south-southwest of a giant tree that's sitting on the top of a mountain. The three seems important because, you know, big, so I'm thinking that the POI is locked up behind Plot. Is there any way to reach it that I'm missing, or should I ignore it for now?

It's a place of power, you'll get there eventually. Just ignore it for now.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Is there any way to join the official Shady Individual Guild? I want one of those sweet ponchos.

Just got to Skellige, and I was expecting something akin to W2's third act regarding size. I was... wrong.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I think I hit a glitch during the quest to elect the new Skellige King my game fails to load after I chase down the steward and get him to accuse Birna

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Do monsters out in the open that aren't, say, tied to a point of interest respawn at all? I'm not looking to grind since I know they give piss poor experience but just so I know to expect them. I'm guessing if they do at all, its because you have traveled between regions.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Tech question - anyone know what this game is doing differently than other open world games with regard to pop-in? In other large-world games I always notice the pop-in, but in Witcher I'm not seeing it at all unless I really look for it. (Well, except for the glitches where NPCs appear right next to you.)

Also, Geralt's combat animations are awesome. I'll often throw a couple of unnecessary heavy attacks just to watch him move :)

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Oh and holy crap, that whole area north of the blockaded bridge is part of Velen too?! When I got the transit pass I assumed that crossing that bridge would take me to Novigrad. I'm never going to clear these question marks...

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Do monsters out in the open that aren't, say, tied to a point of interest respawn at all? I'm not looking to grind since I know they give piss poor experience but just so I know to expect them. I'm guessing if they do at all, its because you have traveled between regions.

Meditating in their little combat zone might give you a nasty surprise. Drowners and wolves at least come back if you meditate sometimes. Certainly happened to me more than once.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Blaisedell posted:

What a brilliant game. Perhaps the first RPG where it's actually worth watching the facial animation during conversation and not just looking at the subtitles.

This is the first game I turned off the subtitles because I want to resist the urge to skim the text and skip parts of the conversations.
So much better.

Unrelated:
I just finished the Swords and Dumpling questline.

It would be so much better if Geralt got the reward, looks at it quizzingly and drops it at Hattori's feet in disgust.
Dude, I came back from Skellige with a sword from some random pirate that is better than your lovely "sword to slay gods".
Get back to the loving anvil and try again, asshat.

For fucks sake, it's a level 24 quest I did at level 20 and a level 19 random corpse loot is better than the relic level reward.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Han Nehi posted:

Oh and holy crap, that whole area north of the blockaded bridge is part of Velen too?! When I got the transit pass I assumed that crossing that bridge would take me to Novigrad. I'm never going to clear these question marks...

It is Novigrad, they're just on the same map bro

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Schurik posted:

Is there any way to join the official Shady Individual Guild? I want one of those sweet ponchos.

Just got to Skellige, and I was expecting something akin to W2's third act regarding size. I was... wrong.

If you're heading to Skellige for the first time, you're still in the first act

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Han Nehi posted:

Velen and Novigrad are one area traversed without loading, despite being split on world map

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Han Nehi posted:

Tech question - anyone know what this game is doing differently than other open world games with regard to pop-in? In other large-world games I always notice the pop-in, but in Witcher I'm not seeing it at all unless I really look for it. (Well, except for the glitches where NPCs appear right next to you.)

I don't know if it's some kind of technical wizardry, but I feel like the world is just so dense with stuff that a lot of pop-in is just hidden behind trees/houses/hills/etc. In something like Skyrim you're constantly running across giant valleys and plains where you can see for miles. In W3 it's pretty rare that you're just out in the open and can see stuff like low-detail trees/houses in the background. At least that's the feeling I get after noticing the same thing the other day.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I just [RANDOM SIDE QUEST] called out a charlatan in the middle of a show, for an audience of about 15 soldiers, for showing off a wyvern in a cage instead of a basilisk, like he said it was. Immediately after I did, the cage fell apart, so me and about 15 soldiers loudly fought this mini-dragon to the death while the charlatan ran off.

So after we all killed the thing and realized it was dead, all 15 the soldiers immediately turned and calmly started walking away, every one of them whistling that nervous, random-note "nope, sure isn't anything fishy going on here" whistle.

GOTY

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 30, 2015

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Haven't had time for the game most of this week. Is the XP bug worth blowing off my weekend play time and waiting for the patch?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hey fellow Gwent nerds. I found an awesome list of all the cards and where to get them. http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/witcher-3-gwent-cards-list/

Also, holy CHRIST this game is long. A character in Novigrad sums it up pretty well.

Priscilla: You mean you have to find Dudu to find Dandelion to find Ciri? That is a lot of searching.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Spoilers for Get Junior:

Holy poo poo, is that random Gustav guy you fight in the arena a secret Witcher? I spared him and he repayed the favour by somehow instakilling the bear from 50% life, then chewing his way through Whoreson's guards by one shotting them in turn

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Just want to pop in and say this game is amazing. I forgot how to witcher at first and kept dying, but I got a handle on things once I hit Velen. Really excited to see how Cyberpunk 2077 turns out. Here's hoping its some weird Witcher/STALKER mix that is awesome.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I left the game running last night, and when I got up this morning I was seeing graphical checkerboarding flickering in it. Restarting the game cleared it up for a bit, but then it came back. I tried disabling the GPU overclock (which I've been running for ages), and that didn't help; GPU temps are around 72C, so nothing there I'm worried about. I'm running 2 970s in SLI, pretty high settings, but none of that changed overnight.

It doesn't always appear everywhere in the picture. In a cutscene with the baron there wasn't any happening on his metal collar or part of his...vest? that looked metallic either.

Anyone have ideas on how I might remedy this? It's not unplayable, but it's really unpleasant.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Broose posted:

Meditating in their little combat zone might give you a nasty surprise. Drowners and wolves at least come back if you meditate sometimes. Certainly happened to me more than once.

The worst nasty surprise is dying to some wraiths, reloading your quicksave and the wraith who you killed before saving somehow having respawned.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Any news on the XP bug?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished the game today. Man the writing is good, like if this doesn't get more praise for the character & story development at all I don't know what a good game story is then.

The end bit where I have to go find the last Crone and kill her, then Geralt ransacks the hut to find Vessemir's medallion and hugs it as the hut gets surrounded by drowners, ghouls, etc. is pretty heartbreaking.

Am I right in assuming there's alternate endings? Even if not for that last segment but the outcome of Ciri & such?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
It's a known bug that all the attack power runes are +0 attack power, right? DPS doesn't change, so it doesn't look like it's just not reporting the right number in the description...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So is this the first Witcher game for anyone? I wanna hear your impressions. :allears:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Okay, Skelligers are awesome.

Crach an Craite's reaction to you telling him that you're looking for Hammond is gold.

He just laughs because Hammond's a pain in his rear end and he knows that him and Geralt meeting will most likely end with Hammond dead.

Magni fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 30, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megazver posted:

So is this the first Witcher game for anyone? I wanna hear your impressions. :allears:

I played like the first 5 hours of Witcher 2 a few years ago and put it down and never played it again so I guess this is my first full Witcher game. If the writing in 1 & 2 is half as good as 3 I'll probably go back and play those. It's also given me an incentive to get a hold of the English version of the books to see more of what the hell is going on with the world.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i really need a few gwent decks irl stat

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

i really need a few gwent decks irl stat

I bet someone is selling the xbone collector edition cards on ebay.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I played like the first 5 hours of Witcher 2 a few years ago and put it down and never played it again so I guess this is my first full Witcher game. If the writing in 1 & 2 is half as good as 3 I'll probably go back and play those. It's also given me an incentive to get a hold of the English version of the books to see more of what the hell is going on with the world.
The writing is consistent but the gameplay in Witcher 1 is balls.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Unfunny Poster posted:

Pretty much this exact reaction!

Razakai posted:

Spoilers for Get Junior:

Holy poo poo, is that random Gustav guy you fight in the arena a secret Witcher? I spared him and he repayed the favour by somehow instakilling the bear from 50% life, then chewing his way through Whoreson's guards by one shotting them in turn

Wait what? I just carved my way through the whole place. In fact, I did that for all the places. Novigrad has been VERY bloody for me.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

I bet someone is selling the xbone collector edition cards on ebay.

The writing is consistent but the gameplay in Witcher 1 is balls.

poo poo man, theyre like 100 bucks. i like the game quite a bit but thats just egregious

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Megazver posted:

I am in the same boat as Unfunny Poster, I played The Witcher 2 for like a third of the game and then stopped because playing it was a chore and I made the mistake of not doing so on easy. I tried playing the first but didn't get very far so I just watched a Let's Play of it for the story. So technically 3 is the first one I've actually stuck with, I bought it because I like the story and figure the series deserves another chance and so far I have not been let down. I have a few remaining quabbles with the gameplay and it's not perfect or anything, but pretty much all of my complaints from 2 have been resolved so I'm liking it so far.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So with the ruler of Novigrad choice, what do you guys think is more canon? Djikstra or Roche?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Flumpus posted:

It's a known bug that all the attack power runes are +0 attack power, right? DPS doesn't change, so it doesn't look like it's just not reporting the right number in the description...

Yeah seems that way. Apparently in some guides those runes are actually listed as reflecting damage, so maybe they changed it at the last minute and it broke or something.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Unfunny Poster posted:

I finished the game today. Man the writing is good, like if this doesn't get more praise for the character & story development at all I don't know what a good game story is then.

The end bit where I have to go find the last Crone and kill her, then Geralt ransacks the hut to find Vessemir's medallion and hugs it as the hut gets surrounded by drowners, ghouls, etc. is pretty heartbreaking.

Am I right in assuming there's alternate endings? Even if not for that last segment but the outcome of Ciri & such?

Yes. You should've been a better father to Ciri.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

mcbexx posted:

This is the first game I turned off the subtitles because I want to resist the urge to skim the text and skip parts of the conversations.
So much better.

Unrelated:
I just finished the Swords and Dumpling questline.

It would be so much better if Geralt got the reward, looks at it quizzingly and drops it at Hattori's feet in disgust.
Dude, I came back from Skellige with a sword from some random pirate that is better than your lovely "sword to slay gods".
Get back to the loving anvil and try again, asshat.

For fucks sake, it's a level 24 quest I did at level 20 and a level 19 random corpse loot is better than the relic level reward.

I pretty much did that. Had him disassemble it in front of me and shoved Witcher diagrams in his face.

"NO YOU ELVEN RETARD. THIS IS A GOOD SWORD. THIS PIECE OF poo poo YOU MADE IS NOT."

Verranicus posted:

So with the ruler of Novigrad choice, what do you guys think is more canon? Djikstra or Roche?

Ciri. Roche winds up in Temeria.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Started second run at B&BB. Is it viable with the same fast attacks Cat build I did normal, or do I have to change to signs/bombs/alchemy abuse?

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
What's the deal with the secondary use of signs? I keep hearing about it but I did all the tutorials and it was never mentioned as far as I know?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What's the deal with the secondary use of signs? I keep hearing about it but I did all the tutorials and it was never mentioned as far as I know?

They're mid-level Sign abilities you can spec into. Haven't used the Aard one, but for the other alternates:

Igni alt is a flamethrower you can aim and continuously deal damage for a couple seconds
Quen alt is the bubble like shield you see Vesemir use in the tutorial, it will block damage and heal you while draining stamina
Yrden alt is basically a lightning turret trap that is particularly useful against fliers but a good source of fire-and-forget damage
Axii alt charms instead of stuns

They're all good and cool and fun. It's pretty hard to put together a truly bad build for Geralt.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's there to cover the load time. If you're on PC, I'm sure you could skip it if you load quicker than it takes for the narration to complete.

No, it's not. The cutscenes are gone once you're in the post-game. It's either there to meet a Sony or Microsoft technical cert requirement or it's there for some other nebulous purpose. I'd lean towards the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

GuyUpNorth posted:

Started second run at B&BB. Is it viable with the same fast attacks Cat build I did normal, or do I have to change to signs/bombs/alchemy abuse?

You'll be fine. Take 5/5 in the fast attack damage talent, cat school style, and 5/5 in the poison oil talent in alchemy and then you can get whatever else you want.