Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

lmfao at the gross military incompetence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oh my car

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

since i started like 40 minutes before you guys i guess ill spoiler my impressions

didn't care for it all that much, the water effects and the ghost forest looked nice but the story wasn't that good and its incredible how stupid almost everyone in the film was. also noticed quite a few animation bugs where things flickered in and out of existence

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Getting laid > being responsible with tanks

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are those tanks like made out of gunpowder?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

since i started like 40 minutes before you guys i guess ill spoiler my impressions

didn't care for it all that much, the water effects and the ghost forest looked nice but the story wasn't that good and its incredible how stupid almost everyone in the film was. also noticed quite a few animation bugs where things flickered in and out of existence

That's fair, I know that the stuff you mentioned about the characters can really break it for some people.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Do what the queen says. :stare:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quickly turning in to an Ideon style Sequence of Unfortunate Events.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Quickly turning in to an Ideon style Sequence of Unfortunate Events.

The chain reaction of collateral damage continues....

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

:rip: pigeon

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wasn't planning to watch any of these but was bored and happened to find it on youtube earlier today. I decided at the end that the tree is evil and watered by tears and blood and it orchestrated the war to nourish itself :black101:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
That's why I joined the air force. :smug:

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

The nightmares had some cool animation

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dotJPG posted:

The nightmares had some cool animation

The part where it turns into an arrow is real cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everyone turns out to be dumb and an rear end in a top hat: the movie.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKgyH9k1CSM

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Everyone turns out to be dumb and an rear end in a top hat: the movie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I do like watching it but that is definitely an accurate assessment.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah pretty much. It's not like anyone had it bad at the beginning either.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 31, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The shot where Izu walks up and sees the entire city buried underwater is real good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Just really hits home the point that he hosed up everywhere

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Srice posted:

The shot where Izu walks up and sees the entire city buried underwater is real good.

Agreed, there's some really nice art and direction in places

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Guaranteed afterlife sorta softens the blow though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That was not a fun film.

Everything Burrito posted:

I wasn't planning to watch any of these but was bored and happened to find it on youtube earlier today. I decided at the end that the tree is evil and watered by tears and blood and it orchestrated the war to nourish itself :black101:

I agree with this assessment.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Legend of Fabulous Battle, hmmmmm

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My feeling is nobody really values life that much because there's a guaranteed afterlife.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 31, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I agree with this assessment.

I wouldn't be surprised if that tree was somehow linked to that nightmarish forest :v:

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I kind of like stories like that where everything goes to poo poo, but the characters just felt a bit flat for me, and it was a really slow start

The anime tanks make me want to replay Valkyria though, which is good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought it was ok. I was really on the fence for the first 30 minutes or so but then I liked the turns they took and there was some cool imagery. Kinda all over the place tonally though and there were way too many characters and subplots. I'm probably gonna write something longer with pictures and stuff because I like doing that in my spare time, because movies are cool.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It had some nice animation in places but over all I can't really say I liked it. I feel that for a tragedy like that to work it has to be more about people being caught up in things they have no control over, whereas in this it was pretty much always from people making dumb horrible decisions. Were we supposed to feel sorry for the dude at the end, because my prevailing thought was 'Well, what the gently caress did you expect to happen?'

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

It had some nice animation in places but over all I can't really say I liked it. I feel that for a tragedy like that to work it has to be more about people being caught up in things they have no control over, whereas in this it was pretty much always from people making dumb horrible decisions. Were we supposed to feel sorry for the dude at the end, because my prevailing thought was 'Well, what the gently caress did you expect to happen?'

He's a jackass and I'm glad Marin is enjoying the afterlife on a zeppelin.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dotJPG posted:

lmfao at the gross military incompetence

This was so bizarre. Why do these dudes not know how to loving like, not drive into walls.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014
Since everyone else has described the imagery and characters, let's talk voices.

I didn't pick up on the voice actors other than Toru Furuya. So whoops.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

This was so bizarre. Why do these dudes not know how to loving like, not drive into walls.

It was my favourite bit

*firecrackers go off* oh poo poo, better shoot everything!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here are some gifs I made when I first watched it.

http://i.imgur.com/J6SxipX.gifv Linked because big, but this is one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yah, it's a weird movie in so many aspects and I knew the reception was going to be pretty mixed. I do think it's an interesting watch regardless and it's something that a lot of people haven't even heard of let alone seen, so that's why I chose it.

Overall I enjoy it but I do agree that the beginning needlessly slow, and it's time they could spent on developing the cast some more.

That shot of the ruined city though, that's definitely what I remembered the most about this movie and it's still a fantastic shot on my second time around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

That shot of the ruined city though, that's definitely what I remembered the most about this movie and it's still a fantastic shot on my second time around.

It was a nice shot but it was kind of ruined for me by that guy being surprised that when he opened the flood gates to drown the city and kill everyone in it it drowned the city and killed everyone in it. :v:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

dotJPG posted:

The anime tanks make me want to replay Valkyria though, which is good

yeah this reminded me I never finished that so now I want to go finish it.

I thought it was a pretty decent movie, though. I feel it would've been better if it had emphasized how the characters feel stuck or obligated to fulfill their role since I feel like that's what they were trying to get across. Everyone is stubborn and unable to see any other option, so they end up miserable or worse. The king of Paro feels he's supposed to be a war monger, Ahanas and Jill feel obligated to their kingdoms and their parents (despite being in love), Marin feels obligated to the promise she made. Izu's just a jerk, though.

I dunno what's up with Druid becoming a statue, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

It was a nice shot but it was kind of ruined for me by that guy being surprised that when he opened the flood gates to drown the city and kill everyone in it it drowned the city and killed everyone in it. :v:

Hahaha yeah, it's like...what exactly did you expect to find there dude?

Parallax posted:

Izu's just a jerk, though.
I think this is understating what a complete piece of poo poo he is.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 31, 2015

• Locked thread