Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

computer parts posted:

The Democrats post-Civil War commonly represented Unions and farmers while the Republicans represented the big business types. As a result, immigration has been a long standing tradition within the party, although the originating country has changed over time.

This changed during the Depression to some extent, but those same groups basically were the same until the realignment began in the 60s and 70s.

That's not what I'm asking. I'm not asking what the Party has traditionally done. I'm asking if "representing the party of economic, social, and political change" is their official, "written in stone" policy. Is there a party "constitution" (if you will) that says this?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mister Macys posted:

That's not what I'm asking. I'm not asking what the Party has traditionally done. I'm asking if "representing the party of economic, social, and political change" is their official, "written in stone" policy. Is there a party "constitution" (if you will) that says this?

It's open to interpretation, but yes, there's an official platform of the Democratic party.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

A Bag of Milk posted:

A new poll has Walker at 17% in Iowa, a clear lead over Carson and Paul who are tied for second at 10%. Rubio does much better as a second pick, which makes me think he can pick up the mantle once/if Walker flames out. Jeb impresses me less and less every day.

Rick Perry comes in at 11th at 3%. A Fiorina/Carson/Trump/Perry CNN debate is my D&D fan fiction and wet dream. Pataki rounds out the pack with "-".

Holy poo poo this poll:

By 1st choice for prez:

Walker (17), Paul (10), Carson (10), Huckabee (9), then Bush (9).

By 1st or 2nd choice for prez:

Walker (27), Rubio (18), Huckabee (17), Bush (16), then Carson/Paul (15).

First, it seems like Walker has a notable lead over Bush, who's just in the middle of the pack. Second, was last primary like this, too? I seem to remember Romney at least leading or tied all the way with whoever the flavor of the month was. Bush isn't looking great.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Huckabee's modus operandi seems to be: "Ever the candidate, Never the president," in my opinion

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A3th3r posted:

Huckabee's modus operandi seems to be: "Ever the candidate, Never the president," in my opinion

My main theory is he has a new book coming out.

When's the last time there's been this many candidates with a legitimate chance at the nomination? Even in 2008 there were a bunch of democrats running, but the the only serious contenders were Clinton, Obama and Edwards (jesus christ we dodged a bullet when he dropped out). By my count there's at least 5 republican candidates who actually have a decent shot a getting the nomination.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
In the first real in-depth reporting of the election cycle, The Daily Beast gets Ted Cruz to admit he's an addict.

Daily Beast posted:

Long before Ted Cruz became a senator from Texas, he was a gamer. He’s known for being pugilistic on the Senate floor, but sometimes he’d rather be fighting cartoon zombies on his iPhone.
At the moment, Cruz is playing “Plants vs. Zombies,” a game where users collect sunlight points to feed plants who fight off waves of zombies; “Candy Crush,” the puzzle game where he claims he’s in the 217th level; and “The Creeps!,” a tower defense game.
His video game addiction is so severe, Cruz says, he has to proactively deny himself the ability to spend time on it.
“I don’t have a console, mostly as a time management tool, because if I had one, I would use it far too much,” he told The Daily Beast.

Is America ready for a gamer president?

Fuckt Tupp fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 31, 2015

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Ted Cruz, solar energy advocate.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't think it's completely necessary for Jeb to be an 800 pound gorilla scaring most of the potential field from even entering the race the way Hillary is (her situation is an unusual circumstance), but he's so far from it that I'd think it would be a concern for both him and his handlers at this point. Money is huge but I'd think his early polling would give a lot of supporters the jitters about the possibility of a total flameout.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What if Jeb Bush turns out to be the greatest Scamidate of all time, bringing in Hollywood Blockbuster money before just dropping out without ever doing any real campaigning?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gyges posted:

What if Jeb Bush turns out to be the greatest Scamidate of all time, bringing in Hollywood Blockbuster money before just dropping out without ever doing any real campaigning?

There are rules about what you can do with the money, right?Jeb Bush can't just drop pit then use the money to buy a castle, can he?

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Skwirl posted:

When's the last time there's been this many candidates with a legitimate chance at the nomination? Even in 2008 there were a bunch of democrats running, but the the only serious contenders were Clinton, Obama and Edwards (jesus christ we dodged a bullet when he dropped out). By my count there's at least 5 republican candidates who actually have a decent shot a getting the nomination.

I remember the 1988 democratic party primary was referred to as Snow White and the seven dwarves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Throwing Turtles posted:

I remember the 1988 democratic party primary was referred to as Snow White and the seven dwarves.

So we're looking at a Republican Dukakis being the nominee?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Skwirl posted:

Which five? I'd say it's 90%+ chance the candidate will be either Walker, Rubio, or Bush. The quality of candidates drops precipitately after them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

There are rules about what you can do with the money, right?Jeb Bush can't just drop pit then use the money to buy a castle, can he?

One of the reasons every campaign candidate gets a new book published is that the campaign can then legally use its money to buy the book nominally to hand out to supporters etc. But all those purchases dump royalties into the hands of the candidate (and of course some money for the publisher and ghostwriter) free and clear.

As a bonus, you might even get people to buy the book that aren't your campaign committee!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Bag of Milk posted:

Which five? I'd say it's 90%+ chance the candidate will be either Walker, Rubio, or Bush. The quality of candidates drops precipitately after them.

Paul and Cruz aren't that much more insane, also Perry.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I actually don't hate O'Malley's logo. I mean, it's not great, but it's not hot poo poo garbage like the rest of them.

The X-man cometh posted:

Of course that bland dork's favorite candy is circus peanuts.

Actually based on him putting it in quotes I feel like he's never heard of them before and thinks it's some kind of local thing or some poo poo.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Beau Biden died. :smith: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...tm_term=nprnews

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joe killed us in the other thread:

This makes me sad. I was looking forward to voting for him one day, and I really like his dad.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

drat. I worked with him in 2007 and he was an awesome guy. He was going to be Delaware's next governor too.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
:smith:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Skwirl posted:

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Jeez, that's terrible news. Poor Joe.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Pohl posted:

Joe killed us in the other thread:

This makes me sad. I was looking forward to voting for him one day, and I really like his dad.

Ah, Jeez Joe ...

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Franco Potente posted:

Jeez, that's terrible news. Poor Joe.

It is horrible. Maybe we should send him a pizza?

I feel bad for even making that joke.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cantorsdust posted:

Holy poo poo this poll:

By 1st choice for prez:

Walker (17), Paul (10), Carson (10), Huckabee (9), then Bush (9).

By 1st or 2nd choice for prez:

Walker (27), Rubio (18), Huckabee (17), Bush (16), then Carson/Paul (15).

First, it seems like Walker has a notable lead over Bush, who's just in the middle of the pack. Second, was last primary like this, too? I seem to remember Romney at least leading or tied all the way with whoever the flavor of the month was. Bush isn't looking great.

Bush is skipping the early Iowa stuff like the straw poll that gets you early titters here, but doesn't translate into winning the primary.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gyges posted:

It'd definitely lend credence to the "Jeb's the smart on" claims.

There's like 3 legitimate candidates in that picture at best and one of them was Edwards before all the poo poo hit the fan. Most people in that picture like Al Sharpton are Dennis Kucinich-grade no chancers on par with iCarly and Ben Carson. I don't include guys like Huckabee who are pure grifters and con artists.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Everyone in that picture has loads of policy experience compared to Carson and Fiorina.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SedanChair posted:

Everyone in that picture has loads of policy experience compared to Carson and Fiorina.
Yeah but they're Democrats, so their experience only counts sometimes. If they were to become Republicans they'd all be elder statesmen of course.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

So we're looking at a Republican Dukakis being the nominee?

Speaking of Dukakis, nice read on the tank and helmet story from politico

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2013/11/dukakis-and-the-tank-99119.html#.VWp0z1L3bCR

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

It'd definitely lend credence to the "Jeb's the smart on" claims.

There's like 3 legitimate candidates in that picture at best and one of them was Edwards before all the poo poo hit the fan. Most people in that picture like Al Sharpton are Dennis Kucinich-grade no chancers on par with iCarly and Ben Carson. I don't include guys like Huckabee who are pure grifters and con artists.

The only non-politicians there are Sharpton and Clarke, and Clarke had the backing of the Clintons. None of these people were grifters, though some were running very long shot campaigns like Sanders is this time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

The only non-politicians there are Sharpton and Clarke, and Clarke had the backing of the Clintons.

And they still weren't going to ever be any sort of realistic candidate.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

And they still weren't going to ever be any sort of realistic candidate.

Nice hindsight. At the time, things seemed different.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Nice hindsight. At the time, things seemed different.

Clarke and Sharpton were never going to be the candidate.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

n/m, it's ancient history now

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There are rules about what you can do with the money, right?

Lol

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Skwirl posted:

Right to Rise is a Super PAC, so no. There are no real rules.

I miss chubby Sharpton. Eat a meal or two at a good BBQ joint, skinny Al.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Gyges posted:

I miss chubby Sharpton. Eat a meal or two at a good BBQ joint, skinny Al.

You can still see cubby Al if you follow the political cartoons thread, since most right wing cartoonists still draw him that way!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Trip report!

The local democrat chapter that got him to come. I guess the story of why he came to Kensett, Iowa of all places is that some guy who works for the Tri-County Democrats was interviewed by the New York Times and said it would be great if Sanders came to that small town. Next day some campaign manager called him up and asked how they can arrange a stop.

The stage is tiny. It took 7 people to put up that banner. All of them were over 60.

Bernie arrives on stage! I think it was a bit early because the two guys you see in the picture seemed a bit surprised when everyone started clapping and hollering.

He

Never

Looks

Happy

It was a good campaign speech. Everything that is on his site is what he says. A couple little differences here and there, but nothing major.I did get to sit in the second row right beside the loudest guy in the place. "SHAME" was yelled about 30 times and a "BOYCOTT WALMART". Ten or Twelve questions where asked in the Q&A. About half of them were crack pot questions and one guy tried to "Gotcha" him. I wasn't fast enough to get in line before they cut people off.

Here is a link to my local paper giving a rundown of the event: Globe Gazette. There was close to 300 people by final estimates and Kensett is a town of only 266. He said the entire town showed up. Twice.

Also be careful at his event if you go. He tries to cast spells on people with hand waving.

(I wish I had gotten video of the flailing)

He flys back to D.C. tonight.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 31, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Thanks for the post! What was your favorite crackpot question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joementum posted:

Thanks for the post! What was your favorite crackpot question?

The guy that asked him what kind of insurance he had or at least that is what it sounded like. Bernie had to have his wife answer because he wasn't sure if it was Blue Cross or Blue Shield. She said it was Wellmark.

That guy followed it up with how he can want to tax the rich with a salary of 180K.

Same guy asked for Bernies autograph while he was on stage.

There was another old guy whose grandfather or great grandfather fought "Johnny Reb" and he wanted to know if he would have people around him that would tell him when he was wrong or disagree. Unlike the Bushes who had the same teams of yes men "Red groups (unsure about that part) that just want war. Included in this he said he voted against Desert Storm in his first term and thought that would cause him to lose reelection.

One lady asked a question that started with "The recent 1973 article flap..." and was a bit worried about where she was going with it. It ended up as a question about abortion and birth control that didn't actually contain "abortion" or "birth control" in it. He said he is one of the strongest women's rights supporters in the Senate.

A very nervous 18 year old asked if he would increase funding for green energy research. Bernie said yes and that he liked seeing the wind turbines in Iowa.

An actual old Vietnam veteran asked if he would help them out. Bernie got a little angry (like actual angry)about this and said the GOP (besides 2 or 3 of them) blocked an increase that he tried to do. It was the only time that Bernie actually said anything about them.

Another guy didn't really ask a question, but said he thinks Social Security Maximum taxable should be gotten rid of and that the rate should be slightly lowered to offset the increase that would come in. Bernie said he wants to increase to 250K and that social security is not bankrupt, but has like 2.7 trillion in it. Which can pay for 17 years of it.

I'm trying to remember more. There is two of the questions in the article I link at the bottom. I tuned out a couple of the questions when I couldn't understand the person that was talking.

Forgot to include that we have our bumper stickers, buttons, and T-Shirts now. All in on Bernie!

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 31, 2015

• Locked thread