Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

theres too much anime and not enough time

That's why I'm trying to make it my job to watch anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A lot of people seem to downplay the first half of Eva in my experience but it has a lot of cool as hell moments. In discussion of Eva I hardly ever see anyone bring up how the show has lots of interesting and creative fights. It's a show where they defeat one of the monsters with a synchronized dance routine, that's cool as hell. They shove battleships into a giant alien shark's mouth and fire all the guns. That poo poo rules. Eva is a good show, and I'm going to rewatch it once the blurays come out.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

theres also too many games to play and places i want to see and be

the world was created to be cruel

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

That's why I'm trying to make it my job to watch anime.

i wish you luck

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Who's the gooniest anime character?

tomoko from watamote

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally got around to watching that copy of Afro Samurai I picked up two threads ago.

It was a'ight.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i liked afro samurai a lot and it still looks cool, but its also super silly but not silly enough, if that sentiment makes sense

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think it's already been proven he's not the gooniest but I was gonna suggest Daru from Stein's Gate.

GorfZaplen posted:

A lot of people seem to downplay the first half of Eva in my experience but it has a lot of cool as hell moments. In discussion of Eva I hardly ever see anyone bring up how the show has lots of interesting and creative fights. It's a show where they defeat one of the monsters with a synchronized dance routine, that's cool as hell. They shove battleships into a giant alien shark's mouth and fire all the guns. That poo poo rules. Eva is a good show, and I'm going to rewatch it once the blurays come out.

I need to watch it again but I really remember enjoying the Volcano episode. Shinji and Asuka learning to work together as a team is very cliche but also effective. :3:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

i liked afro samurai a lot and it still looks cool, but its also super silly but not silly enough, if that sentiment makes sense
It makes perfect sense, actually. That's about how I feel about it myself.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

The first half of Eva is good but it's not nearly as good as the second half and gets overshadowed in its own remakes. It's somewhat of a necessary evil in its own way, they establish this weird jokey, shounen vibe until the episode where they dive into a volcano and then turn back strongly into the themes they teased at in the opening episode. Episodes 1 to 6 and everything after 10 are fantastic, there's just this weird stretch where it becomes a comedy that clashes with the rest of the series.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neon Genesis Evangelion was the second best TV show of the 90s, had the best movie of the 90s and will have the best movie of the 2010s. Incredible power

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sharkopath posted:

theres too much anime and not enough time

I watched 16 episodes of Saint Seiya and that seems like too much to not go ahead and finish up to the anime original part, but on the other hand, that would be another 50 episodes and that seems like too many episodes

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
NGE's alright but boy I don't understand how people like it enough to support it as this insane cash cow

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

DoubleDonut posted:

NGE's alright but boy I don't understand how people like it enough to support it as this insane cash cow

I will never understand how they make a profit on Rei merchandise.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so when S;G was airing did it also have dumb subs or is it just that Funi decided their script should have leetspeak and stuff like "GTFO"

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I like the glasses girl. I haven't seen anything but the original show and EoE, I just like girls with glasses

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

you will be the first to be hunted

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

so when S;G was airing did it also have dumb subs or is it just that Funi decided their script should have leetspeak and stuff like "GTFO"
the characters are talking in japanese memes and netspeak

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

dotJPG posted:

didn't read the chat thread while the simulwatch was going on. there's lot of posts, I wonder what

uuuuaaaaahhhhh

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I watched 16 episodes of Saint Seiya and that seems like too much to not go ahead and finish up to the anime original part, but on the other hand, that would be another 50 episodes and that seems like too many episodes

I'd say watch it arc by arc. Up to ep 22 leaves you right at the beginning of the Silver Saint arc, which has some of my favorite moments in the whole show.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rebuild 3 was the most successful film in the Japanese domestic box office in the year it was released. If American blockbuster films had one-tenth of the the same ambition and craft, I would be ecstatic.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The first half of Eva is good but it's not nearly as good as the second half and gets overshadowed in its own remakes. It's somewhat of a necessary evil in its own way, they establish this weird jokey, shounen vibe until the episode where they dive into a volcano and then turn back strongly into the themes they teased at in the opening episode. Episodes 1 to 6 and everything after 10 are fantastic, there's just this weird stretch where it becomes a comedy that clashes with the rest of the series.

yeah, there's a long section where it seems like the creators blanched away from the sheer crawling anxiety of the first handful of episodes. but then Anno took a deep breath, and turned back onto the path

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Neon Genesis Evangelion was the second best TV show of the 90s, had the best movie of the 90s and will have the best movie of the 2010s. Incredible power

I haven't watched NGE but didn't most of it's staff leave to form Trigger?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jagchosis posted:

No, the Eva staff left Gainax to form Khara studios and make Eva movies.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How in the hell did Gainax ever let that property leave their control?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I wish Little Witch Academia was a series. At the very least give that potion girl her own show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

the characters are talking in japanese memes and netspeak

i assumed it was something like that for the haxor/hacker thing and didn't care, it's just when Daru's "daga kotowaru" was translated as GTFO it seemed weird
can't remember any other examples offhand

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jagchosis posted:

Not really. A lot of Gainax employees left to form Trigger but the guys at the head of NGE weren't really the gainax crew. The producers do yugioh now, the director left Gainax way before Trigger became a thing and does movies now, etc.

A lot of the guys at Trigger worked on NGE, but they weren't the big creative minds behind it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I'm holding off on watching Rebuild until it's finished.

Part of me wants to trust Anno knows what he's doing but another part of me thinks the original was fine and shouldn't be reinvented - while another part of me wonders how much Eva's status as a cash cow played into things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm holding off on watching Rebuild until it's finished.

Part of me wants to trust Anno knows what he's doing but another part of me thinks the original was fine and shouldn't be reinvented - while another part of me wonders how much Eva's status as a cash cow played into things.
I don't think Rebuild really exists to replace the original. It's its own thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

rebuild 1.0 was incredibly boring for me, as a person who watched NGE earlier the same year. they didn't redo the cool Sachiel shots and cg Ramiel was overhyped i think. haven't watched the others yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1.0 is definitely the most boring part since it's just a retread.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Endorph posted:

I don't think Rebuild really exists to replace the original. It's its own thing.

The theory I heard is that the events of Evangelion are destined to happened again and again with slightly different details because of third impact and rebuild is one of those cycles

or something

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the theory i heard is that the events of evangelion are destined to happen again with slightly different details because of and rebuild is one of those cycles

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Around the six millionth cycle, Kaworu got really good at hitting on Shinji.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

dotJPG posted:

didn't read the chat thread while the simulwatch was going on. there's lot of posts, I wonder what

uuuuaaaaahhhhh

Just showing some more love for this.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

that's how both the eva manga, movies and anime can simultaneously be canon

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I have a bunch of money saved up and instead of saving it for when I finish uni I might splurge for a decent size 1080p TV. This 720p TV is killing me even though it's pretty big.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Wasn't there a scene in the series where they show an alternate reality where everyone is just a normal? I barely remember but my guess is that might've just been in Shinji's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The glasses girl in the Eva movies has big baps and is p good.

I have not actually seen the Eva movies.

• Locked thread