Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Also I didn't expect Nintenbdo to be so clever with the mii verse posts. Them showing up on stages as graffiti is one of my favorite things about this game. Keep getting shot while I look at stupid squid puns.
I think it's one of the best features in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hah, if you fight the final boss again for fun the entire way it plays out (story wise) changes.

Captain Cuddlefish gets himself captured on purpose and the sisters don't even care, they just kinda talk about upcoming events because you already beat him once, no need to worry.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Tengames posted:

Ink strike is at least cool but i hate the inkzooka. Its too slow to rapidfire, doesn't cover a lot of ground, and the shot misses a gap right where you're standing so it doesn't even leave you a straight line of ink to swim through. Ive not found a lot of situations outside of tight corrridors, and the seekers handle those well enough already.

the main use i've found for the inkzooka is as a way to keep firing even after youve run out of ink. its nice that way, i think

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Finally got online! Put my info in already. I'm married to the Roller for now, but I like to try something shooty every now and then. I'm also only level 8, gotta get more time in.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Internet Kraken posted:

Are there any weapons that have the kraken special other than the roller? I don't really like using the roller but being able to turn into a killer squid is too much fun for me to use anything else.

Also I didn't expect Nintendo to be so clever with the mii verse posts. Them showing up on stages as graffiti is one of my favorite things about this game. Keep getting shot while I look at stupid squid puns.

The Custom Jet Squelcher has the Kraken special. Jet Squelcher has good range too, so I guess the synergy here is main weapon at range, Kraken when they get too close. Doesn't unlock until level 15, though.

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Are there any weapons that have the kraken special other than the roller? I don't really like using the roller but being able to turn into a killer squid is too much fun for me to use anything else.

Also I didn't expect Nintendo to be so clever with the mii verse posts. Them showing up on stages as graffiti is one of my favorite things about this game. Keep getting shot while I look at stupid squid puns.

They're also graffitied on the Plaza walls, which is really cool.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm really liking the dual squelcher. It's definitely kicked up my K/D a notch or two compared to my other faves. I can't stand chargers for the most part, but automatics with super-long range are right up my alley.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

SL the Pyro posted:

:siren: holy poo poo that final boss :siren:

Legit the best and most satisfying final boss I've fought in a long time, I'm glad I didn't spoil it for myself earlier. :unsmith:

Story mode was short, sweet and fairly challenging. Probably my only gripe was that one Kelp Octoling who thought it would be funny to imitate a spawncamper, gave me my only game over. :argh:

The Octolings are the only enemies that consistently give me trouble and I try to get rid of them while being as far away as possible. I lucked out once and they spawned on my ink so I was able to deal with them up close without as much pain as usual.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

sharrrk posted:

the main use i've found for the inkzooka is as a way to keep firing even after youve run out of ink. its nice that way, i think

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I usually get the most use out of it hitting people who are above me since the tornado it shoots is so tall. Plus it goes through walls. It's not the greatest super but I do all right with it and the Tentatek Splattershot.

Yeah these make sense. I think the best uses ive found of it so far is taking out chargers up high, since they don't have the room to dodge it. I'll have to try actually hanging out on lower ground next time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
EverDRAED!!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Still can't believe this stupid awesome bullshit works

At lvl 9 and about four levels away from reaching the final boss. Wish I could progress faster but young cousins visiting this exact freaking week. Right now i'm mostly doing well with the Blaster category of weapons, it's too nice inking forward, squidding forward and then inking some more.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I have a love/love relationship with the .52 gal. Holding down to let it spurt fire for semi decent painting then quick shotting it to kill is really really satisfying.

Also I thought i'd hate that Splash Wall grenade but damned if it wasn't super useful especially for cutting off paths on the Mall. Best run with it was where I got myself ambushed by 3 squids but got a Splash Wall off at the last second and it pushed one of them up against two boxes and they couldn't get away and it just ganked them from BEYOND THE GRAAAAAVE. 12-4 that one. Splash Wall son.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There must be an option to play with Wiimote/Nunchuk somewhere, surely. Why would they support that goofy-arse macgyver crap and not also support something slightly more sensible?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There must be an option to play with Wiimote/Nunchuk somewhere, surely. Why would they support that goofy-arse macgyver crap and not also support something slightly more sensible?

If I was the director of anything i'd push for the goofy-rear end macgyver crap over anything that's sensible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Everdraed you make me want to be a better squid. gently caress you.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If I was the director of anything i'd push for the goofy-rear end macgyver crap over anything that's sensible.

same

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I support this. Well, not exactly this one, the splash looks a little weird, but the general spirit.

Someone make an Octoling.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so is the squid girl video game any good?

de geso?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

It is the best squidgirl game on the market. The multiplayer could use a few more maps, but those are coming. Weapon variety is pretty good, and multiplayer is a lot of fun, especially if you know a couple people playing or get in a goon room. Everyone should get this game and have fun and get in the IRC for squidgirl battles.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I would love to be able to use Wiimote+Nunchuck with the Gamepad sitting on my lap for the touchscreen and map. Come on Nintendo let me use your weird gimmick controllers for once :O

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Because a big part of the game is using the map to leap to your buddies? :shrug:

You can always switch to conventional dual-stick controls in the Options menu.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This game's miiverse has done the one thing I never thought possible.

Killed my love of memes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because a big part of the game is using the map to leap to your buddies? :shrug:

You can always switch to conventional dual-stick controls in the Options menu.

Pretty much everyone says something like this in response to "why can't I use x controller" but for some reason they never realize that you can just place the Gamepad in a place where you can still look at it and touch it!!!!

Dual sticks in a shooter is rear end though

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'm talking specifically about the local multiplayer mode which was clearly designed to eliminate the use of the map. I'm never gonna play that mode so I don't really care but it's still odd that they support tying a controller to another controller but not something far less weird.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just found out the writing and script in general is different for EU versions of the game. It's way less funny and way more generic.

That's a shame.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just found out the writing and script in general is different for EU versions of the game. It's way less funny and way more generic.

That's a shame.
Do you still get called a hipster?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's a shame.

I remember reading that kinda happened with Rhythm Fever, too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's a shame.

That's been a common trend with Nintendo games over the last few years: NOA always goes goofier and tends to embellish a lot more whereas NOE plays it pretty straight and tends to stick pretty closely to the JP text.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

homeless snail posted:

Do you still get called a hipster?

Nope. Final boss is a lot more generic and "i will defeat you"

No puns are made.

Edit: Only thing he really says is "I'll make fried squid rings out of you!", the rest are just "My minions, attack." and stuff

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No puns are made.
That makes me sad.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Why is every streamer of this game so unbelievably awful? It took me a couple hours of the testfire to understand what's effective and what's not, but it's not that hard to figure out that painting your own turf doesn't do anything.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Still can't believe this stupid awesome bullshit works

That's a Boy Scouts-rear end knot you got there.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They just tweeted the gatemeter thing which i assume is for the rank match is like almost full aka ready.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Worst Girl posted:

I was playing through the single player, and got a note that said

With the creatures of the surfave driven to extinction by rising sea levels, the ancestors of the inklings were free to haul their 10-legged bodies up onto the abandoned land. This is how to Mollusc Era Began

Does Splatoon take place in a post-global-warming world?

Yeah it does, the Cat is the last remnant of Human civilization.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No puns are made.

Edit: Only thing he really says is "I'll make fried squid rings out of you!", the rest are just "My minions, attack." and stuff

I get the impression NOE plays things a bit more stright in their translations just to avoid having to make as many puns work in five lanuges.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
This game is amazing and I want to play some rounds when it isn't nearly midnight on the west coast w/ most goons in bed. I expected it to be good but not this good, and the game isn't even really loving complete yet.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Silentman0 posted:

Why is every streamer of this game so unbelievably awful? It took me a couple hours of the testfire to understand what's effective and what's not, but it's not that hard to figure out that painting your own turf doesn't do anything.

That's a Boy Scouts-rear end knot you got there.

Also none of them use gyro and it's very funny to watch them miss easy shots.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've made it to Rank 10, so I've done my part.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Lemming posted:

Also none of them use gyro and it's very funny to watch them miss easy shots.

To be fair, I use gyro and miss shots all the time. Which is particularly punishing if you're supposed to be sniping someone.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
How do I draw a cartoon for others to see? This is driving me crazy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Go to the mailbox (marked with a Miiverse icon on the gamepad map) in the lobby.

• Locked thread