Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Aang turned out to have been a pretty crummy dad. Not abusive or anything but he played hella favorites with his kids.

Toph wasn't the best mom for her kids either.

Zuko actually shows up later and is great.

I think it was a really interesting thing they did with the characters: You could be good people and still be lovely parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh yeah totes, I was a fan of that direction too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

frank.club posted:

People hating TTGO over yj getting canceled only enhances my appreciation of the show.

I'd fell a lot less anything about TTGO (which I really dislike because it's about as funny as the Hindenburg disaster was for blimp enthusiasts) if there was a decent action Comic book cartoon happening and lord knows Marvel isn't doing it right now mostly 'cause its only competition is, indeed, TTGO.

How was Disk Wars anyway?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 30, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
DC's live-action stuff is so good and being made in such quantities that I'm more than happy to live in the world where we have that instead of a pale imitation of the old animated DCAU.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
TTGO is pretty much getting better ratings than every show mentioned on the last few pages combined so right now I think CN is pretty happy to just go with that right now rather than going for another narrative driven superhero show. I'm not saying the ratings make the show but CN just has no actual reason to do anything to make the people that are really bitter about TTG happy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Thing is, they got out of the shadow of the DCAU right about the time when they stopped trying to make The Batman be anything like BTAS and embraced being its own thing.

Brave and the Bold was just pure fun (How about that, Batman can be fun and it doesn't destroy everything.) and made me interested in the Jaime Reyes runs of the Blue Beatle.

Hell, it's when they try to be DCAU with the numbers filled off that they hosed up hard (YJ, Beware The Batman) leaving us with the situation we have here.

axleblaze posted:

TTGO is pretty much getting better ratings than every show mentioned on the last few pages combined so right now I think CN is pretty happy to just go with that right now rather than going for another narrative driven superhero show. I'm not saying the ratings make the show but CN just has no actual reason to do anything to make the people that are really bitter about TTG happy.
Better Ratings or "Good enough to justify our nonexistant budget" (Jonny Test) Ratings?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 30, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I believe it is currently the highest rated show on Cartoon Network. The low budget probably makes them love it even more.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Conan, you have a weird hate boner for TTG and you need to just let it go, man.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
really why be mad about there being no cartoons based on comics when DC has 3 praised superhero tv shows going right now, marvel has one on netflix, plus marvel has a loving empire of live action movies going on. superheros are so mainstream they're kind of boring.

I don't like TTGO except for the yj episode, but it's not because of the humor. In fact, superheros NOT being serious but being kind of chintzy and surreal was why I started reading comics and I kind of stopped when I realized they were trying too hard to be adult and realistic when the very concept couldn't support that. Which is probably why I like that episde.

AND NOW! ITS TIME! TO GET REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY SERIOUS!

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 30, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

raditts posted:

Conan, you have a weird hate boner for TTG and you need to just let it go, man.

It's normal to dislike a show because it's a comedy that's not funny and that it's the apparent best that DC can pull these days.

What's weird is to go "I like this thing because it makes people angry!". That's weird

Acne Rain posted:

really why be mad about there being no cartoons based on comics when DC has 3 praised superhero tv shows going right now, marvel has one on netflix, plus marvel has a loving empire of live action movies going on. superheros are so mainstream they're kind of boring.
Why have one good medium when you can have two?

Plus those shows are good but this is the General Kids Show Discussion Thread and those aren't General Kids shows.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 30, 2015

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I like TTG. I like it even more because it trolls the gently caress outta YJ and old Teen Titans fans. (See: YJ episode, the constant mockery of shipping)

I mean I was obviously pissed at what happened to the rest of the DC block but I don't understand the people who are still so bitter about it that they boycott the show.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
part of the reason CN screwed over most of it's DC shows between Batman:BATB and TTGO was that CN and DC have a REALLY bad relationship for two companies that are owned by the same people, which combined with most of the recent DC shows prior to TTGO only getting average ratings at best made it so it was in CN's best interest to screw over DC's stuff(similar thing happened with most of their non-Ben 10 action series over the last 8 or so years, especially if they were made by an outside studio, part of the reason that Hasbro tried to make The Hub into the sole destination for most of it's stuff after CN screwed them over during Transformers Animated's third season, otherwise we probably would have gotten most of The Hub's original programming on CN if it was even made)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually TTG is funny. I'm sorry that the cartoon that is not designed to be serious is doing well on a network that, check this out, is aimed at kids.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's normal to dislike a show because it's a comedy that's not funny and that it's the apparent best that DC can pull these days.

What's weird is to go "I like this thing because it makes people angry!". That's weird

You just don't understand how every argument against TTG being too silly and all the mourning about the "fall of narrative driven comic/action cartoons" tends to be perfectly predicted and mocked by Let's Get Serious. Especially when you say TTG is trash despite the fact that Beware the Batman existed about 8 months ago. It just makes the humor that you don't care for even more hilarious to some of us, like a chocolate dipped cherry on top of a nice sundae.

drrockso20 posted:

part of the reason CN screwed over most of it's DC shows between Batman:BATB and TTGO was that CN and DC have a REALLY bad relationship for two companies that are owned by the same people, which combined with most of the recent DC shows prior to TTGO only getting average ratings at best made it so it was in CN's best interest to screw over DC's stuff(similar thing happened with most of their non-Ben 10 action series over the last 8 or so years, especially if they were made by an outside studio, part of the reason that Hasbro tried to make The Hub into the sole destination for most of it's stuff after CN screwed them over during Transformers Animated's third season, otherwise we probably would have gotten most of The Hub's original programming on CN if it was even made)

CN still is a bit of a bastard when it comes to showing competitor's products over homegrown shows, and then picking favorites between their own programing while sacrificing other or longtime old talent like Titan or Megas XLR probably just because the execs didn't care for them. And let's not even begin on how hard some projects just burnt out and failed like 2013 Thundercats. Things got kind of crazy when they were losing numbers to Disney Live Action schlock and Nickelodeon's "Let's just show 10 hours of Sponge-bob every day" tactics and CN tried to emulate both with disastrous results. We're kind of lucky shows like Gumball, SU or Clarance happened at all.

But can you honestly blame Cartoon Network for Axing DC Nation when BTB was so dull it was killing the steam from the early TTGO or other DC shorts, Green Lantern, Brave and the Bold and Young Justice combined? Brave and the Bold had a good run and honestly needed to have a good death (They even had to make an episode where Bat-mite told people to loving let go of B:TAM or their favorite interpretation of Batman as it wasn't the end-all-be-all of Batman), GL was starting to get a good Space Opera story down, Batman of Shanghai would have been amazing if it ever got its own show. And then Beware the Batman happened. Whatever animosity was between CN and DC was just cemented the moment that piece of poo poo hit the air and dropped like a stone. Whether you believe in Bat Fatigue, that show was just garbage that not even Adult Swim/Toonami could revive.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I believe it is currently the highest rated show on Cartoon Network. The low budget probably makes them love it even more.

They've been really pushing it. When I saw Tomorrowland earlier this week the preshow stuff had a fairly lengthy trailer explaining TTG.

Probably one of the things that makes the show work is how DC finally loosened the reins on referencing other comics.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still think the YJ crossover episode was some of the highest tier trolling ever orchestrated

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

They've been really pushing it. When I saw Tomorrowland earlier this week the preshow stuff had a fairly lengthy trailer explaining TTG.

Probably one of the things that makes the show work is how DC finally loosened the reins on referencing other comics.

Yeah, I think TTG is probably the first non Watchmen thing DC has made that has referenced Watchmen.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Killing Joke food truck

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I liked the original Teen Titans too much to get into TTG. It doesn't help that the humor is kind of hit and miss for me, unlike other animated shows aimed at kids that make me laugh every time they make a joke. Sorry if this makes me a lovely cartoon watcher I guess.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I watched Star vs. the Forces of Evil. It's not groundbreaking by any means but it's fun and I like the theme song.

I prefer the one that concludes the episode to the one that opens it, personally. The show I find pretty good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
There's been quite a few episodes that i'd call misses on the show, but TTG is still pretty freaking hilarious a good chunk of the time.

I really like how they actually expand Cyborg as a character. It got annoying in TT regular that he was basically token black character to play off Beast Boy and have an existential crisis about the whole machine thing any time he got focus (except when he was leader of another team for only three episodes), now he freaking loves machines, is the poster boy of child raised by media, regularly hangs out and appreciates Starfire, has a fun "batman and catwoman"-esque relationship with Jynx and gets to be the most passive-aggressive against Robin in this group of people that already largely dislike Robin.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like his explaining science voice

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Crabtree posted:

You just don't understand how every argument against TTG being too silly and all the mourning about the "fall of narrative driven comic/action cartoons" tends to be perfectly predicted and mocked by Let's Get Serious. Especially when you say TTG is trash despite the fact that Beware the Batman existed about 8 months ago. It just makes the humor that you don't care for even more hilarious to some of us, like a chocolate dipped cherry on top of a nice sundae.
I think I do and it's sort of spiteful.

Also, when did BTB being FUBAR preclude TTG from criticism?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's been quite a few episodes that i'd call misses on the show, but TTG is still pretty freaking hilarious a good chunk of the time.

I really like how they actually expand Cyborg as a character. It got annoying in TT regular that he was basically token black character to play off Beast Boy and have an existential crisis about the whole machine thing any time he got focus (except when he was leader of another team for only three episodes), now he freaking loves machines, is the poster boy of child raised by media, regularly hangs out and appreciates Starfire, has a fun "batman and catwoman"-esque relationship with Jynx and gets to be the most passive-aggressive against Robin in this group of people that already largely dislike Robin.

I like how his origin varies from episode to episode whenever it's mentioned.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like Robin not having superpowers is brought up a lot and is part of his inferiority complex compared to the original where he was basically superhuman.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

readingatwork posted:

Did the show ever deal with the fact that Amon was absolutely right in every conceivable way? He even came up with a non-violent solution to the country's crippling inequality problem.

Yes, they have a scene where Toph explicitly tells Korra that all of her enemies had legitimate points and she could learn from them even if they ultimately were Bad Guys.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Korra was a good show that everyone had different ideas about how it could realize its amazing potential.

Toxxupation hated it from day one because he thought the lead female character having breasts was meant to appeal to pedophiles.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
...wouldn't a pedophile want the character to not have breasts?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

axleblaze posted:

I mean, if you wanna get technical about the words used to talk about people who want to gently caress minors, then yeah.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

axleblaze posted:

I think logic took its leave of the conversation from pretty much kick off there.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Korra was a good show that everyone had different ideas about how it could realize its amazing potential.

Toxxupation hated it from day one because he thought the lead female character having breasts was meant to appeal to pedophiles.

I hated it because it was a bad show

go tweet that poo poo at the president like you're wont to do

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Reminder that spiderhyphenman literally tweeted at the president because he was so upset about a spiderman comic book story arc

that is a literal thing that literally happened, that goon spiderhyphenman did because he got so mad about drawn people

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

look look look, you're BOTH posters who've gotten whole threads shut down. let's stop with the fussin' and the feudin'.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I've never had a thread shut down before

I mean I'm a bad poster, I wont deny that

still haven't tweeted at the president my Opinions, so i got that one

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I could have sworn something like that had happened due to your posting, Occ. My BadTM.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have to know if it was the spiderman comic book where he teams up with the president.

Or the one where he teams up with Saturday Night Live.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

No it was the one where Doc Ock steals Spiderman's body I think.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

if was one more day

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Toxxupation posted:

if was one more day
You can't even remember which one it was.
Also I never got probated for shitposting in a thread about a show I act smugly superior about not watching, so I have that over you.

Nor did I ever write about how it was "retarded" that a Nickelodeon show didn't end with a 12 year old killing a man.

What I'm saying is we're both spergs who hate each other and are clearly obsessive about poo poo the other did years ago.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 31, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

STOP, STOP, you're BOTH pretty horrid posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You can't even remember which one it was.

Also I never got probated for shitposting in a thread about a show I act smugly superior about not watching, so I have that over you.

I was gonna craft a super hot burn in response to this hot fire but the truth is more damning

you tweeted at the president. Mad About Comic Books. That's literally a thing you did.