Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Wasn't there a scene in the series where they show an alternate reality where everyone is just a normal? I barely remember but my guess is that might've just been in Shinji's head.

Yeah I remember that scene. Everything went over my head though because, you know, Evangelion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saying 1.0 is boring because it repeats the first episodes is kinda odd. After seeing 2 and 3 it's clear that the rebuild series deviates completely from the original show, so it's cool that the first movie is nearly a shot for shot remake of the first six episodes, because they're basically perfect. I remember reading a interview where Anno said they had the storyboards for 1 to 6 planned out completely and then they just winged it for a while. I love that they just made the animation better and left the entire Rei arc basically completely untouched

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

chumbler posted:

The glasses girl in the Eva movies has big baps and is p good.

I have not actually seen the Eva movies.

Is glasses girl a new character for the movies? I don't remember anyone like that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Endorph posted:

I don't think Rebuild really exists to replace the original. It's its own thing.
I'm hoping so.

I've got a lot of respect for the way Eva and End of Eva did a lot of things, but I know Anno and crew got a lot of flak for them. My worry when they first announced Rebuild was they might be trying to smooth things over, you know, "I know you didn't like that bit so here's something new to make up for it." At the time I'd also had a lot of Lucas and Spielberg on the brain, two directors who are different people now than when they first started out - and not in ways that were entirely beneficial to the creative process. The Anno behind Rebuild is in a different place than the Anno who spearheaded the original series

Then you factor in merchandising and "Hey, enough about Rei and Asuka, here's a new girl with glasses," and your worries grow deeper.

I'm probably just being paranoid and overly protective, but I think Eva is a pretty important thing to exist as far as Japanese animation is concerned so here's my carepost.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

littleorv posted:

Is glasses girl a new character for the movies? I don't remember anyone like that.

Yeah, her name is Mari and she's movie original. Her purpose isn't clear yet, and she has probably 10 minutes of screen time across 3 films but people have gone ape poo poo over her for some reason.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

littleorv posted:

Yeah, big Eva fans hate her

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Yeah, her name is Mari and she's movie original. Her purpose isn't clear yet, and she has probably 10 minutes of screen time across 3 films but people have gone ape poo poo over her for some reason.

Well if she has big knockers I'm down.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

I'm hoping so.

I've got a lot of respect for the way Eva and End of Eva did a lot of things, but I know Anno and crew got a lot of flak for them. My worry when they first announced Rebuild was they might be trying to smooth things over, you know, "I know you didn't like that bit so here's something new to make up for it." At the time I'd also had a lot of Lucas and Spielberg on the brain, two directors who are different people now than when they first started out - and not in ways that were entirely beneficial to the creative process. The Anno behind Rebuild is in a different place than the Anno who spearheaded the original series

Then you factor in merchandising and "Hey, enough about Rei and Asuka, here's a new girl with glasses," and your worries grow deeper.

I'm probably just being paranoid and overly protective, but I think Eva is a pretty important thing to exist as far as Japanese animation is concerned so here's my carepost.

Rebuild 3 is extremely radical and Rebuild 4 will likely be more bold than End of Eva, so don't worry about it. He's never going to actually finish it, but Rebuild 4 will be the best movie of the decade of whatever decade it actually comes out in.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is Mari a giant troll on Anno's audience? Iv'e heard she's like a shonen protagonist straight out of a different show

I haven't watched any of the rebuilds

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Wasn't there a scene in the series where they show an alternate reality where everyone is just a normal? I barely remember but my guess is that might've just been in Shinji's head.

Yeah. I think the Shinji Ikari Raising Project is that scene expanded out into a super long manga series.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

She's a complete wild card, everything about her clashes with the aesthetic and design of the show. It's cool and I'm really looking forward to the payoff. When she first appears she literally falls out of the sky and then harasses Shinji.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

She's a complete wild card, everything about her clashes with the aesthetic and design of the show. It's cool and I'm really looking forward to the payoff. When she first appears she literally falls out of the sky and then harasses Shinji.

I'm going to guess that she is an Angel

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Man I wish KLK didn't get so eh mid season, and dropped the whole mom rapey thing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

I think so too, which will be interesting considering every angel was met by the end of 3, meaning her existence will be a complete surprise to everyone involved

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

When in doubt it's always an Angel.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Man I wish KLK didn't get so eh mid season, and dropped the whole mom rapey thing.

so say we all.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Nah it was the true ending of the manga after Shinji managed to fix things. Not that anyone really cares.

Deconstruction shows are the best.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
It didn't bother me but yeah it could have been better.

Favorite episode is when Mako starts the fight club.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Gamagoori was the only interesting member of the Elite Four.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Actually, they were all cool.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Bad Seafood posted:

Gamagoori showed off one thing the show was consistently good at, which was visual jokes.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

i liked jakuzure too but i'm partial to her band motif since i did all of the stupid music electives in high school

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

No-Late Day is still my favorite episode, even if it's a boring choice

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think I liked all of the characters except for the mohawk guy with the needle gun.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

chumbler posted:

Actually, they were all cool.
I said "Interesting," not "Cool."

Everyone except the hacker guy was cool. Gamagoori was the only one who was interesting.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I think I liked all of the characters except for the mohawk guy with the needle gun.
You could write him out of the show and almost nothing would be different.

At least they dropped his dumb two pieces of information gimmick.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

there were a couple of live action sequences meant to go in EoE where Shinji never existed and Misato and Asuka are just living their normal everyday lives, but they got cut for whatever reason

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Thanks DD

LOVE THAT GOKU

DJ'ing just ain't the same without you

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Just got back from work, what's everybody been chatting about

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also someone mentioned Audiosurf 2 several pages back, so thanks for reminding me about that. I've been waiting for that to be out of early access.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I kind of just wanted to watch anime and work on my Hestia costume today, but instead I played awesome D&D.

That's OK, too.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

That looks like a lot of fun actually

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Costumes are cool and I wish I was better at sewing so I could actually make them

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I kind of just wanted to watch anime and work on my Hestia costume today, but instead I played awesome D&D.

That's OK, too.

whoa

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I need to find some dudes to play D&D with m'thinks.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

That's OK, too.
Coolio-hoolio.

I've had to turn to the Internet for my RPing needs.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Bad Seafood posted:

Don't trash talk nonon or you will taste my blade.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Blew 800 bucks tonight to attend anime cons.

gently caress yeah anime

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I didn't really like Lain. It's kind of a mess.

Yeah, I didn't really like it and neither did I like Evangelion. At least I don't like Cross Ange.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

The_Frag_Man posted:

Yeah, I didn't really like it and neither did I like Evangelion. At least I don't like Cross Ange.

Oh wow I laughed a lot at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

As much as I dislike SAO I wonder if, deep down, I actually like it.

• Locked thread