Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Bene Elim posted:

People keep acting like I'm some hot poo poo in this game.

What would give anyone that idea...

(Well you have won twice-ish. Must be doing SOMEthing right!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Pfft, my dad can have all the strategy in the world. I train my lads with gut instinct and a slavish dedication to dumbass gimmicks. My boys got spirit and heart. Until they get poisoned and disemboweled anyway.

This might explain why most of my fighters never see the light of day past the first round.:shrug:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My next fighter is already determined on account of I came up with what I think is a funny name and there's no other way to do it even though I know for a fact it'll be poo poo, sooooooo

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

My next fighter is already determined on account of I came up with what I think is a funny name and there's no other way to do it even though I know for a fact it'll be poo poo, sooooooo

I am with you. DickKicker the human is ready for a new tournament. 2 slade daggers and grandmaster kicking are what I am going for. I figure if he cant lift his hands he will have to kick people.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, sweet. My maul-wielding minotaur "Paul Blart: Maul Clop" might actually stand a chance after all!

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Um excuse me, I think you'll find my short sword-wielding Yeti, "Machyeti" is the clear favorite to win, you filthy short-people.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

Which reminds me, blunt weapons or going to need some sort of non-material based progression, because for most purposes, copper is a perfectly fine endgame material. Maybe make maces use the same skill as warhammers, and double the price of warhammers, since maces are noticeably weaker than them?
A problem would be that warhammers are not seemingly overpowered, just mauls are poo poo. All this ends up doing is nerfing warhammers by making them more expensive.

Anyway, next tournament I'll be running a Yeti. Logically speaking they can't stay poo poo forever!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So what does armor user skill do, anyway?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

So what does armor user skill do, anyway?

Reduces the effective weight of worn armor -- at Grand Master Armor User, your armor effectively weighs 1/16th of its real weight, enabling you to move faster in combat. Apparently, it also allows fighters to move around in armor for longer periods of time without becoming tired.

Also, we're still waiting on the following fighters to be updated before we can start the next round:

Full Communism Now (managed by Jack the Lad)

Fan Favourite Joss Whedon (managed by Coward)

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 31, 2015

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Is there a way to pull previous round's builds for a fighter? I didn't take note of my exact gear/skills for the first two rounds and I'd like to share it eventually.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Maarak posted:

Is there a way to pull previous round's builds for a fighter? I didn't take note of my exact gear/skills for the first two rounds and I'd like to share it eventually.

Unfortunately, I didn't design the database to track previous versions of fighters. :( I'll probably change it in the future so that it does that going forward.

EDIT: If you really really want the previous builds, I could pull them off of a database backup. I automatically back the whole thing up every night, so it would just be a matter of figuring out which days to pull backups for.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 31, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Unfortunately, I didn't design the database to track previous versions of fighters. :( I'll probably change it in the future so that it does that going forward.

EDIT: If you really really want the previous builds, I could pull them off of a database backup. I automatically back the whole thing up every night, so it would just be a matter of figuring out which days to pull backups for.

Round 1: May 18th,

Round 2: May 26th

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

Round 1: May 18th,

Round 2: May 26th

Check your PMs.

EDIT: Hey, our regdates are exactly one decade apart :haw:

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 31, 2015

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

:raise: Well, now we know why other numerical concerns are being raised...

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Depends what timezone you're in, because on my screen they're the same day.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

E:f,b.
Yeah, I'm seeing that too. Do reg dates take time zones into account or something?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tarezax posted:

Depends what timezone you're in, because on my screen they're the same day.

Same here. I guess SA saves the registration timestamp and automatically converts it to your local time zone. I guess I must have registered just before midnight or something.

EDIT:

pun pundit posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing that too. Do reg dates take time zones into account or something?

That appears to be the case. Related side note: a lot of the work I did on the site over the last few months involved changing all date fields to UTC timestamp fields, with the goal of eventually letting users set their own time zones so the site could automatically do the conversion. I didn't ever bother to finish the conversion part, though, but I'll get around to it. Eventually.

EDIT2: I remember now why I never finished the conversion part. If anyone's interested (which I know you're not :sadwave:), here's the little timezone driver table I came up with based on the bundled Windows and UNIX time zone data... but then I realized that other nations probably have a different definition of the date range that defines DST vs. what the U.S. defines it as, which caused me to throw my hands up and just say gently caress it all, I'm not getting paid for this poo poo

pre:
ID  GMTDiff GMTDiff_Desc        DST  TZ_Name                   TZ_Desc
1,  '-12',  'GMT -12:00 hours', 'N', 'Pacific/Kwajalein',      'Eniwetok, Kwajalein'
2,  '-11',  'GMT -11:00 hours', 'N', 'Pacific/Samoa',          'Midway Island, Samoa'
3,  '-10',  'GMT -10:00 hours', 'N', 'Pacific/Honolulu',       'Hawaii, No DST'
4,  '-10',  'GMT -10:00 hours', 'Y', 'Pacific/Adak',           'Hawaii, DST'
5,  '-9',   'GMT -9:00 hours',  'Y', 'America/Anchorage',      'Alaska'
6,  '-8',   'GMT -8:00 hours',  'N', 'America/Tijuana',        'Baja California'
7,  '-8',   'GMT -8:00 hours',  'Y', 'America/Los_Angeles',    'Pacific Time (US & Canada)'
8,  '-7',   'GMT -7:00 hours',  'N', 'America/Phoenix',        'Arizona'
9,  '-7',   'GMT -7:00 hours',  'N', 'America/La_Paz',         'Chihuahua, La Paz, Mazatlan'
10, '-7',   'GMT -7:00 hours',  'Y', 'America/Denver',         'Mountain Time (US & Canada)'
11, '-6',   'GMT -6:00 hours',  'N', 'America/Belize',         'Central America'
12, '-6',   'GMT -6:00 hours',  'Y', 'America/Chicago'         'Central Time (US & Canada)'
13, '-6',   'GMT -6:00 hours',  'N', 'America/Mexico_City',    'Guadalajara, Mexico City, Saskatchewan'
14, '-5',   'GMT -5:00 hours',  'N', 'America/Lima',           'Bogota, Lima, Quito'
15, '-5',   'GMT -5:00 hours',  'Y', 'America/New_York',       'Eastern Time (US & Canada)'
16, '-4.5', 'GMT -4:30 hours',  'N', 'America/Caracas',        'Caracas'
17, '-4',   'GMT -4:00 hours',  'Y', 'America/Halifax'         'Atlantic Time (Canada)'
18, '-4',   'GMT -4:00 hours',  'N', 'America/La_Paz',         'Georgetown, La Paz, San Juan'
19, '-3.5', 'GMT -3:30 hours',  'Y', 'America/St_Johns',       'Newfoundland'
20, '-3',   'GMT -3:00 hours',  'N', 'America/Buenos_Aires',   'Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Greenland, Montevideo, Salvador'
21, '-2',   'GMT -2:00 hours',  'N', 'Atlantic/South_Georgia', 'Mid-Atlantic'
22, '-1',   'GMT -1:00 hours',  'N', 'Atlantic/Cape_Verde',    'Azores, Cape Verde Islands'
23, '0',    'GMT',              'N', 'Europe/London',          'Greenwich Mean Time: Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London, Casablanca, Reykjavik'
24, '+1',   'GMT +1:00 hours',  'N', 'Europe/Paris',           'CET(Central Europe Time), Brussels, Copenhagen, Madrid, Paris'
25, '+2',   'GMT +2:00 hours',  'N', 'Europe/Helsinki',        'EET(Eastern Europe Time), Kaliningrad, South Africa'
26, '+3',   'GMT +3:00 hours',  'N', 'Europe/Moscow',          'Baghdad, Kuwait, Riyadh, Moscow, St. Petersburg, Volgograd, Nairobi'
27, '+3.5', 'GMT +3:30 hours',  'N', 'Asia/Tehran',            'Tehran'
28, '+4',   'GMT +4:00 hours',  'N', 'Asia/Tbilisi',           'Abu Dhabi, Muscat, Baku, Tbilisi'
29, '+4.5', 'GMT +4:30 hours',  'N', 'Asia/Kabul',             'Kabul'
30, '+5',   'GMT +5:00 hours',  'N', 'Asia/Karachi',           'Ekaterinburg, Islamabad, Karachi, Tashkent'
31, '+5.5', 'GMT +5:30 hours',  'N', 'Asia/Calcutta',          'Bombay, Calcutta, Madras, New Delhi'
32, '+6',   'GMT +6:00 hours',  'N', 'Asia/Colombo',           'Almaty, Dhaka, Colombo'
33, '+7',   'GMT +7:00 hours',  'N', 'Asia/Bangkok',           'Bangkok, Hanoi, Jakarta'
34, '+8',   'GMT +8:00 hours',  'N', 'Asia/Singapore',         'Beijing, Perth, Singapore, Hong Kong, Chongqing, Urumqi, Taipei'
35, '+9',   'GMT +9:00 hours',  'N', 'Asia/Tokyo',             'Tokyo, Seoul, Osaka, Sapporo, Yakutsk'
36, '+9.5', 'GMT +9:30 hours',  'N', 'Australia/Darwin',       'Adelaide, Darwin'
37, '+10',  'GMT +10:00 hours', 'Y', 'Australia/Sydney',       'EAST(East Australian Standard)'
38, '+10',  'GMT +10:00 hours', 'N', 'Australia/Brisbane',     'Brisbane, Guam, Papua New Guinea, Vladivostok'
39, '+11',  'GMT +11:00 hours', 'N', 'Asia/Magadan',           'Magadan, Solomon Islands, New Caledonia'
40, '+12',  'GMT +12:00 hours', 'N', 'Pacific/Auckland',       'Auckland, Wellington, Fiji, Kamchatka, Marshall Island'

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 31, 2015

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

This is shaping up to be an interesting tournament. Put all my dwarfbucks on My Dad!

Also, mauls are not good. I had high hopes for my maul man in the last tournament, but it seemed too slow to be effective. When my fighter got a hit in it didn't do much, and this was a platinum maul. I paid top dollar for a terrible weapon.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

EDIT2: I remember now why I never finished the conversion part. If anyone's interested (which I know you're not :sadwave:), here's the little timezone driver table I came up with based on the bundled Windows and UNIX time zone data... but then I realized that other nations probably have a different definition of the date range that defines DST vs. what the U.S. defines it as, which caused me to throw my hands up and just say gently caress it all, I'm not getting paid for this poo poo

Not only do different nations adjust for DST at different times during spring and fall, but southern hemisphere nations adjust for DST in the opposite season (because their summer is our winter), so it's even more complicated than you've surmised so far.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I have every fighters macro saved for each fight I ran if that would help. I could screenshot it, or send macro files.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm actually kinda hoping Tin Can loses to The Axe now, just to crush the mastermind chat.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, sweet. My maul-wielding minotaur "Paul Blart: Maul Clop" might actually stand a chance after all!

:stare:

:golfclap:

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Also, we're still waiting on the following fighters to be updated before we can start the next round:

Fan Favourite Joss Whedon (managed by Coward)

Holy poo poo, that was fast! Updated now.

Don't know how he survived this long, but inductive reasoning leads me to the inescapable conclusion that Joss Whedon will be the tournament champion. Clearly.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Coward posted:

Don't know how he survived this long, but inductive reasoning leads me to the inescapable conclusion that Joss Whedon will be the tournament champion. Clearly.

Over my fighter's dead body.

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

my dad posted:

I'm actually kinda hoping Tin Can loses to The Axe now, just to crush the mastermind chat.

Nah everybody should just blindly bet on you to win I think. Bet every single one of those dwarfbucks on my dad, people!

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Thanks, but it's not that critical.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ramc posted:

Over my fighter's dead body.

That's generally how it works, yes.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

That's generally how it works, yes.

Oh.

Riiiiiiight.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Oops, all done!

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 31, 2015

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Quarterfinals will be starting up soon. 4 fights, so 2 per day I think. Will try to do one in the morning and one in the afternoon in the only timezone that actually matters: Eastern Standard.

Place your bets, assholes.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren:Quarterfinals (right? is it quarters already?), Fight 1:siren:

Full Communism Now is a male Gremlin fighter managed by Jack the Lad. He is a standard gremlin build. Tiny, nude, carrying the sharpest dagger ever made, and incredibly skilled.
Floss Thrice Daily is a female Serpent Man fighter managed by Tunicate. The serpentwoman is even more skilled than the tiny gremlin if you can believe that. Bravo Tunicate; this should be a good show. Flossy is armored in layers with an Adamantine shirt and helmet.

The fighters charge to the center of the arena and spend a moment dodging before the super-deadly Full Communism Now stabs Flossy in the lower arm which sends blood spurting. The dagger is lodged in the wound!

But now Full Communism Now realizes the problem with getting so close to the damned snakewoman. Floss Thrice Daily bites the tiny gremlin around the waist, bruising guts and tearing muscle.

Uh-oh. Floss Thrice Daily begins shaking the hapless gremlin around by the head. Muscles in the head and neck are torn, arteries begin spurting blood all over the arena floor.

That fight could have gone either way. Full Communism Now's first attack landed, but it wasn't a good enough hit to cripple the serpentwoman.

Winner: Floss Thrice Daily

Combat Log

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Hey, is there any way to test fighters with the Arena modifications to them? I wanna see if my stupid build even has a chance next tournament, and I'm bored enough to actually test for it.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Welp. I was worried that Tunicate might have gone full adamantine, which would have made my weapon upgrade useless, but the testing I did with armour of my own wasn't that promising and I decided to gamble on doing damage quickly.

Curse that venom!

Doobeedoo posted:

Hey, is there any way to test fighters with the Arena modifications to them? I wanna see if my stupid build even has a chance next tournament, and I'm bored enough to actually test for it.
Jazzimus posted the raws earlier in the thread; hit the ? by his name and it's at the top of the last page right now.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Doobeedoo posted:

Jack the Lad posted:

Jazzimus posted the raws earlier in the thread; hit the ? by his name and it's at the top of the last page right now.

Yeah, download this: http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/df_40_24_arena.zip

Create the fighter on the site, download the macro into the \data\init\macro folder. Go into the object testing arena and do a K to look around, then C to create a creature. Hit CTRL+L to load the characters macro, then hit CTRL+P to play the macro which will create the fighter. Hit enter and the character will be in the arena.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Thank you.

quote:

Create the fighter on the site

Tried doing that, though, just to see what I can make. The fighter I made got 0 points, and obviously can't join a tournament to get them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Custom fighter building outside of tournaments is one of those things Jazz never got around to doing.

You can calculate the number of points needed yourself, and manually make such a fighter in the arena, I guess?

Jazz, how hard would it be to implement a custom fighter building system? The basics seem to be pretty much there, it looks like you'd pretty much just have to add a place to input to number of point allowed for the custom build.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

poo poo, the fight is over already? I had 500 dorfbux on it lasting until july.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Hum. How do you start the Arena, anyway? Unzipping it into a folder, I find a Dwarf Fortress Application, but when I try to start it up, it lets me choose between fullscreen or not before, no matter which one I pick, going "data/init/interface.txt not found, or I/O error encountered"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, the file is in there... Hm... What operating system are you using?

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

my dad posted:

Well, the file is in there... Hm... What operating system are you using?

Windows 8?

Edit: Looking at the files, there isn't an init folder. I'll try re-downloading.

Doobeedoo fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Huh... I'm using Windows 7 and I have the problem with sound not working in any of the recent versions of DF, but nothing like what you're encountering.

Try downloading DF from the official website and see if there's a version that works. It might be the mod's doing.

e: ^^ Oh

• Locked thread