Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
85% on my CPL written. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

e.pilot posted:

You over achieved by %5. Congratulations.

The Slaughter posted:

Haha, that will be me soon. And yeah people always think I'm 16. I'm actually 29 (edit: 30 in july).

As a 28 year old "babyface" I feel your pain. I'm always getting asked "Aren't you a little young to be an airline pilot?" I'm becoming more and more flippant with my answers as time goes on. According to my chief pilot "Aren't you a little old to not be in a wheelchair?" is not an appropriate thing to say to a customer.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

e.pilot posted:

I got an 88, loser. You loser.

(Congrats man :cheers:)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Now to get my complex endorsement, 10 hours of complex, and 300mi XC knocked out.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

As a 28 year old "babyface" I feel your pain. I'm always getting asked "Aren't you a little young to be an airline pilot?" I'm becoming more and more flippant with my answers as time goes on. According to my chief pilot "Aren't you a little old to not be in a wheelchair?" is not an appropriate thing to say to a customer.

Hahaha.

Just tell them about how you feel much older than 16.

e: then have the other pilot say, "he's very mature for his age!"

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 30, 2015

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Duke Chin posted:

In my mind AZPilot looks like he's 12 as well. Everytime I fly to my hometown from Seattle I keep on the lookout for a baby-faced gooney-type pilot and wonder if it's him. :v:

I'm pretty sure I look like I'm in my 20's, but we do have quite a few FO's that look like they're about 12.

Until that runway construction gets done in September, I'm trying to avoid Seattle as much as possible (flow delays suck), but since I think every trip in our system goes through Seattle at least once, it's not working real well.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

DNova posted:

Just tell them about how you feel much older than 16.

Or, "We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night".

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

hobbesmaster posted:

Pretty sure my cousin is dead because of that. Icing and a c170 on floats do not mix.

Edit: I know what you mean but...

Well I had a friend die while FLYING so I'm certainly never gonna do anything like that again.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Can anyone recommend a handheld scanner? I'd like to listen to local air traffic now and again.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
Just look around for a used handheld. Most have a scanner function.

Keep your fingers off the transmit button.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Arcella posted:

Can anyone recommend a handheld scanner? I'd like to listen to local air traffic now and again.

I would avoid used. I bought my first one used off ebay and it was useless. I just got this one and it works fanastic. http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Handheld-Scanner-Black-BC75XLT/dp/B00A1VSO9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433103339&sr=8-2&keywords=radio+scanner

There's no transmit button on a scanner.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
I'm looking into getting my PPL and I've been looking at flight schools around Los Angeles. Is it just a LA thing or has the PPL gotten a lot more expensive? I've been hearing $5k was a typical price, but all the schools here charge $120-140/hr for an old Piper Archer and $60-80/hr for the instructor. The whole package comes out to around $12,000 in all. Would it be idiotic to get a motel room in some small backwater town and just bang out the there PPL in a few weeks?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
It wouldn't be a terrible idea, the problem is you won't be familiar with local procedures/landmarks/bravo transition around LAX (and there is a lot of bravo and radio comms there). If I came from a backwater area and tried to fly around LAX as a newly minted private pilot, I'd probably be stressed. Also, outside of Phoenix, there are few places that you can count on actually having really nice weather for a month or whatever. $120/hr really isn't that bad for an Archer, $60 for an instructor is pretty on the steep end but considering it's LA, I understand..

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

$12,000 is more or less in the ballpark for getting your PPL in the LA area. You could probably get it done cheaper elsewhere, but there are a few issues that were already mentioned. The first, as mentioned earlier, is that you would probably need a few hours of extra time to get used to your local LA airport which I would *highly* recommend doing with an instructor. The second is that the whole "grind out a rating in a few weeks." Things can easily be derailed by things like weather, scheduling issues, aircraft maintenance, student performance, or even your CFI getting another job mid training.

My recommendation would be to stick with the airport you're going to be flying out of once you have your license. Unless you're interested in flying as a career in which case I'd recommend getting an MBA or going to law school.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Law school? The grass really is always greener on the other side

What is the cheapest location in the states to get a ppl? How much is it?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sellouts posted:

Law school? The grass really is always greener on the other side

What is the cheapest location in the states to get a ppl? How much is it?

If you can swindle access to a military aero club that's about as cheap as it's going to get. $90/hr wet for a 172 and around $35/hr for an instructor typically.

I was just a smidge under $10k for my ppl at 60 hours.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
So I might have an opportunity to get some flying this summer after taking a couple years off due to the costs involved. I need 10 hours C182 time and my high performance endorsement, neither of which I have. I'm going to try to get both of those done at the same time but I really wish my multi engine time counted as HP since it was 2 180hp engines rather than one with more than 200.

e: apparently that used to be the case, in the 90s the wording used to be "an airplane with more than 200hp" instead of an "airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower".

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 1, 2015

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

two_beer_bishes posted:

So I might have an opportunity to get some flying this summer after taking a couple years off due to the costs involved. I need 10 hours C182 time and my high performance endorsement, neither of which I have. I'm going to try to get both of those done at the same time but I really wish my multi engine time counted as HP since it was 2 180hp engines rather than one with more than 200.

e: apparently that used to be the case, in the 90s the wording used to be "an airplane with more than 200hp" instead of an "airplane with an engine of more than 200 horsepower".

The 182 is a great truck of an airplane. Fill it up as much as you can and it'll still fly no matter what. 4 dudes? Fine. 2 people and tons of stuff? Yeah sure.

I know it's expensive, but a "good" high performance endorsement would come from some time in a Bonanza or Debonair. Flying club maybe?

The 182 is so mild mannered I feel like it needs a separate endorsement. "High performance-lite"

Regardless - TRIPLE CHECK the seat to ensure its locked In the seat tracks.

(It's happened to me, I had to put my foot in the yoke)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Apollo posted:

The 182 is so mild mannered I feel like it needs a separate endorsement. "High performance-lite"

You should try it with floats if you haven't. Its downright "low performance" when you throw those on.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Passed my checkride, I'm now a (NATOPS) instrument-qualified pilot. :feelsgood:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

overdesigned posted:

Passed my checkride, I'm now a (NATOPS) instrument-qualified pilot. :feelsgood:

Congrats man! I haven't flown since my checkride and it' still sinking in.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
182 rules. The '66 I used to fly was like the Ford Ranger of airplanes. Loved that old girl.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the 182 info!

I'd love to get time in a Bonanza or Mooney for the endorsement but since I need the 182 time anyway it makes sense to do it in the same plane.

I'm probably going to hold off though, I was adding up the costs involved and I'm looking at $5k for a bfr, the endorsement, and another 5 hours in anything to get up to their minimum hour requirements. Saving for a car and house right now so the timing stinks.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

If you need a complex endorsement the mooney or the bonanza would qualify for that but not the 182.* If you don't need the complex endorsement I'd just stick with the 182. Sure the other two are a little bit faster and more efficient but the 182 is an all around kick rear end tank of an airplane.

*There is such thing as a 182RG but as my CFI said "The RG is true to its name, the gear will retract when you ask it to. Getting it to extend again is an entirely different matter."

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

KodiakRS posted:

If you need a complex endorsement the mooney or the bonanza would qualify for that but not the 182.* If you don't need the complex endorsement I'd just stick with the 182. Sure the other two are a little bit faster and more efficient but the 182 is an all around kick rear end tank of an airplane.

*There is such thing as a 182RG but as my CFI said "The RG is true to its name, the gear will retract when you ask it to. Getting it to extend again is an entirely different matter."

Already have complex, looking for high performance

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

KodiakRS posted:

My dad has a TR182. He has only had to manually pump the gear down a couple of times...

Blacknose fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jun 3, 2015

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

:)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpFIIGdWTEM

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Pilot Reports are always appreciated...

...on HIWAS or Flight Watch, have a good flight."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

That's not that foggy… oh.

Went to the AOPA HQ fly-in today, where FAA Deputy Administrator Michael Whitaker talked about his under one year old private pilot certificate and how over Memorial Day weekend he got a lot more winds than he expected and on his second attempt to land coming home from a cross country porpoised his landing with enough damage to get a visit from the Baltimore FSDO & NTSB and mentioned "I expect I'll be seeing the FSDO guys again for a ride." :monocle:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I logged my first hours in a glider today.

Between this and the mild aerobatics I got to do in the Citabria this week, I think I am just destined to be poor for the rest of my life at this point.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A friend of mine took me up today in his Aeronca Champ for an unusually pretty flight around Corpus Christi. I say unusual because it's always so grey, hazy, and murky here.

It was hot, but got comfortable almost immediately after lifting off.

Anyway, I'm apparently a decent stick for taxi, takeoff, and maneuvers, but I need a lot of work before I'll fully grasp this landing business. Boy things can get squirrelly in a hurry.

Anyway it was nice out

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I got to deal with my first "we're returning to the field" situation flying for an airline recently.

Shortly after takeoff, we got a master warning chime/light, accompanied by a "Fuselage Door" annunciator . This was followed about two seconds later by a "thump" from somewhere in the back of the airplane, and my ears popping as the cabin pressure changed.

A quick look at the pressurization controller verified that the cabin had dumped for some reason, and flipping over to the "doors" page on one of the cockpit displays indicated that the aft cargo door indicated as unlocked or open. Since the door let go early in the climb, I stopped the climb at about 3000ft, and told ATC what was going on, while the captain (I was flying this leg) started running through the relevant checklist, which (somewhat unnecessarily) indicated that we should land as soon as practical.

After about ten minutes of various calls to flight attendants, ops, dispatch and maintenance, PA's to passengers, and assorted checklists and FMS reprogramming, we did a normal approach and landing, although ATC decided to have an ops truck follow us down the runway to make sure we weren't shedding luggage or airplane parts behind us.

From talking with the maintenance guys who met the airplane, it sounds like the cargo door didn't get latched correctly on the ground (either a ramper made a mistake, or the latch didn't work properly), and the pressure differential in the climb was enough to break the seal on the door and vent the cabin. The door was secure enough that there's no way it could have actually opened in flight, and the "thump" turned out to be the blowout panel in the aft bulkhead letting go to equalize the pressure between the cargo hold and cabin.

Aside from one flight attendant having some ear pain (sinus congestion and rapid pressure changes don't mix) after we landed, everyone on board ended up being fine, albeit an hour late to where they wanted to go.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

azflyboy posted:

I got to deal with my first "we're returning to the field" situation flying for an airline recently.

Shortly after takeoff, we got a master warning chime/light, accompanied by a "Fuselage Door" annunciator . This was followed about two seconds later by a "thump" from somewhere in the back of the airplane, and my ears popping as the cabin pressure changed.

A quick look at the pressurization controller verified that the cabin had dumped for some reason, and flipping over to the "doors" page on one of the cockpit displays indicated that the aft cargo door indicated as unlocked or open. Since the door let go early in the climb, I stopped the climb at about 3000ft, and told ATC what was going on, while the captain (I was flying this leg) started running through the relevant checklist, which (somewhat unnecessarily) indicated that we should land as soon as practical.

After about ten minutes of various calls to flight attendants, ops, dispatch and maintenance, PA's to passengers, and assorted checklists and FMS reprogramming, we did a normal approach and landing, although ATC decided to have an ops truck follow us down the runway to make sure we weren't shedding luggage or airplane parts behind us.

From talking with the maintenance guys who met the airplane, it sounds like the cargo door didn't get latched correctly on the ground (either a ramper made a mistake, or the latch didn't work properly), and the pressure differential in the climb was enough to break the seal on the door and vent the cabin. The door was secure enough that there's no way it could have actually opened in flight, and the "thump" turned out to be the blowout panel in the aft bulkhead letting go to equalize the pressure between the cargo hold and cabin.

Aside from one flight attendant having some ear pain (sinus congestion and rapid pressure changes don't mix) after we landed, everyone on board ended up being fine, albeit an hour late to where they wanted to go.

Well handled. Now you have a successful TMAAT story for your Delta interview.

Seriously, I had to go back and conjure up memories from 9000 hours before when I interviewed at Southwest. At that point I started noting any remotely interesting events in my logbook - not that I'm going to interview at an airline ever again, but you never know.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

azflyboy posted:

What altitude was the cabin pressure when the door popped?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

DNova posted:

What altitude was the cabin pressure when the door popped?

From what I can find, cabin was probably somewhere around 500ft when the door popped, so it would have been about a 2000' difference in altitude.

After we got on the ground, it took the captain and I several minutes of discussion to decide what altitude we'd been at when the door popped, since we wanted to make sure our reports were consistent, and that we hadn't oversped the flaps during the event. Eventually, we decided that since we had just been handed to departure, and I remembered checking the flap position before pitching down after acceleration height before the master caution tripped, we were probably somewhere around 2000-2500' when the door popped.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

azflyboy posted:

From what I can find, cabin was probably somewhere around 500ft when the door popped, so it would have been about a 2000' difference in altitude.

After we got on the ground, it took the captain and I several minutes of discussion to decide what altitude we'd been at when the door popped, since we wanted to make sure our reports were consistent, and that we hadn't oversped the flaps during the event. Eventually, we decided that since we had just been handed to departure, and I remembered checking the flap position before pitching down after acceleration height before the master caution tripped, we were probably somewhere around 2000-2500' when the door popped.

Hmm. Can you tell me about how the cabin pressure is generally managed during ascent? It always seems like immediately after we leave the ground, the pressure drops more quickly than the ascent rate would explain, but I never have an altimeter with me to watch it happen. Basically, I suspect you airline pilots of cranking down the cabin pressure very quickly and it is not pleasant! J'accuse!!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

DNova posted:

Hmm. Can you tell me about how the cabin pressure is generally managed during ascent? It always seems like immediately after we leave the ground, the pressure drops more quickly than the ascent rate would explain, but I never have an altimeter with me to watch it happen. Basically, I suspect you airline pilots of cranking down the cabin pressure very quickly and it is not pleasant! J'accuse!!

On the Q400, the system goes into a "pre-pressurization" mode once the power levers go past a certain angle (to avoid a pressure bump on takeoff), where it pressurizes the cabin to 400ft below the takeoff elevation, and it'll stay in that mode until one of two specific conditions are met (or ten minutes pass), at which point it switches over to a pre-programmed pressurization schedule for the rest of the flight.

In the flight deck, all we do is set the elevation of the landing airport on the pressurization panel, and verify that the cabin altitude and differential pressure stay within limits during flight, so 99% of the time, the pressurization is basically a "set and forget" system. If the pressure controller doesn't work quite right on departure or we take off without the bleed air on (typically in hot/high conditions where we need the extra performance from the engines), there will be a pretty distinctive pressure "bump" once the pressurization kicks in and a differential pressure develops, but usually the change is pretty gradual.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 7, 2015

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The flight school I work for part time sponsored a week long camp that I decided to help with because sometimes teaching kids about airplanes is fun (if they're interested.)

Most horrible experience of my career was flying with a 10 and 13 year old that didn't give two shits about anything I had to say, even when safety was an issue and I needed them to listen. These kids were absolute bastards and I'll quit before I set foot in an airplane with either of them again. I had to park 20 yards out and pull the plane up to the hangar because one of them wouldn't stop kicking the brakes on loving purpose the whole taxi back at a loving class c airport. What the hell god dammit argh gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Kids couldn't be less interested in learning to fly airplanes these days. The piloting profession is screwed.

• Locked thread