Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

boom boom boom posted:

Isn't that exactly what's shown in those pictures?

Not for the DA one. You can't make any sort of legal force with what's in that battle box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

Isn't that what Kill Team and Zone Mortalis are?

no kill team is each model is an individual unit

like you 'army' might be a sternguard squad

zone mortalis is some dumb 30k poo poo, ask Bulba

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Moola posted:

I would play a properly designed and playtested 500pt ish skirmish game of 40k

If that was a thing

same, shame it won't happen

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Kill team is a loving joke.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
GW Kill Team is

HoR kill team isnt too bad

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Slimnoid posted:

Not for the DA one. You can't make any sort of legal force with what's in that battle box.

Oh well. Dark Angels are the worst legion anyway.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Picked up the cult Mechanicus book, a Magos and two Kataphron boxes today to ally with my Skitarii.

Best overall build? I'm thinking destroyers with grav but not sure if the other box. Destroyers with plasma is tempting.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

serious gaylord posted:

About Marines? The Soul Hunter Trilogy. They're the top 3.

At first I thought you said Soul Drinker and I thought that was really evil of you.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

TheChirurgeon posted:

You can get Micron pens that are smaller -- 0.005. That's what I use for my detail work when it's too small/delicate to freehand.

I freehand my Chevrons, though. Sometimes sketch them with a pencil first.

You're right. I just checked and the ones I use are .005 as well. Sadly I have never found a white one that small.

boom boom boom posted:

Agreed, they are definitely the worst chaos legion

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

New Battleforce boxes coming out:
http://puu.sh/i6aR3/f8cc2d30de.jpg
http://puu.sh/i6aSs/2715b07c25.jpg

I think these are OK, but would it kill GW to put out a battleforce box that acts as a real starter kit for an army, i.e. with 1 HQ, 2 troops, and maybe 1 other unit? Seems like poor policy.

That's not a battleforce, what the gently caress.

How has this company gotten worse with a new CEO.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What a piece of poo poo.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Maybe the new Space Marines codex will have like, a "battle training" game mode or soemthing, with small, pre-built lists for each chapter

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Looking at the sprues for the Assault Marines kit, it looks like you'd just need 5 sets of legs from Anvil Industries and some spare bits to stretch it into a 5 man assault and 5 man tactical box. It comes with 10 full torsos and enough heads.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

boom boom boom posted:

Isn't that exactly what's shown in those pictures?

Technically I guess it is for the Ultramarine/Blood Angel boxes, though I tend to not think of 10 tactical marines as two troop choices. I don't have my codex handy but iirc a single tac squad is 10 marines and counts as 1 troop choice, even if you combat squad it.

I liked the idea behind the Dark Vengeance expansions--a boxed set to build out either of the armies in the starter box--but the expansions themselves are kind of poo poo for building an army. Case in point: Neither contains either army's core troop choice. Crimson Slaughter comes with a whopping 5 cultists and Dark Angels comes with 0 troops. Great idea, terrible execution. I get that CSMs and Tacticals aren't the best choices for either army, but if you've designed armies such that the core troops are borderline unusable, you've hosed up pretty bad.

vvv alright, fair enough. I still think it falls short of being an "everything you need to get started" set if it only has 10 marines.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 31, 2015

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Tac squads are 5-10, you get one special weapon at 5 men, and a heavy at 10.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Moola posted:

no kill team is each model is an individual unit

like you 'army' might be a sternguard squad

zone mortalis is some dumb 30k poo poo, ask Bulba

Zone Mortalis started as a Badab War thing, 30k just picks it up in some campaigns.

ZM is infinitely better-balanced and more satisfying than full-size open-field 40k. It's my favorite way to play.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

boom boom boom posted:

hosed up if true

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

drgnvale posted:

Tac squads are 5-10, you get one special weapon at 5 men, and a heavy at 10.

You can take a special or heavy with 5 marines in the newer books, so basically you can take a regular tac squad and field it as two troops.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
So I hate terminator helmets with a burning passion (in most cases) and decided to test fit one of the Corvus helmets on one of my knights. I think it looks pretty boss, and might stick with this for all Deathwing from here on out.

Definitely makes them look more aggressive.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Thanks for the book recommendations guys! The Horus Heresy seems to be a Big Deal so I might start with that stuff.

Cythereal posted:

There's an entire thread dedicated to the 40k books. Ask in that thread.

Sorry, I hadn't seen that thread. I read the OP of this one and it said we could ask here about books so I felt it was ok.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Furism posted:

Sorry, I hadn't seen that thread. I read the OP of this one and it said we could ask here about books so I felt it was ok.

It's totally fine. Legitimate 40k related questions no matter what format they involve, are absolutely welcome here. spergs gonna be unfriendly

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 31, 2015

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I'm thinking of selling my Nids. Last count I have about 220 of them, including some old Armorcast MCs. Anyone interested?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

ijyt posted:

How has this company gotten worse with a new CEO.

The CEO is "new" only in the sense that he has never held that title before during his lengthy GW career. I am quite sure he has been thoroughly indoctrinated re: Kirby's style of management, so anyone who was expecting the guy who took over as CEO to make grand sweeping changes to make things better (or even just small-ish changes, to try and make the GW brand name less toxic) was pretty much fooling themselves.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Kilo147 posted:

I'm thinking of selling my Nids. Last count I have about 220 of them, including some old Armorcast MCs. Anyone interested?

But they're finally good now!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Some pictures + an album of the 50k a side apocalypse game I played yesterday. Very fun. Crushing victory for the Imperium, helped by the fact that we had the last turn. We managed to sweep the objectives with a Blood Angels reserve company precision deep striking and being then able to assault - pretty nasty.

My stuff is the dark red and black Raven's Repentance Chapter (including some of my Leman Russ' being lent to the other side as renegade tanks). My buddies are running the Night Lords + Cultist renegades (including the cool Demon Prince made out of of a Mortarch mount), and the non-yellow Orks.

I basically went with 30 sternguard in pods, 35 terminators, 10 Paladins and some super heavies with other stuff smattered about. I don't have all the pics but I took about 60.

Unfortunately there wasn't a huge amount painted - even the Titan Legion was still a work in progress (though thats understandable given the scale of the project). I'm a fan of preferred enemy:unpainted... I just don't understand how you can have that much bloody warhammer and not paint it up, its not like it breeds in your cupboard... but thats just my personal grumbling!

Obligatory crotchshots and neckbeards (all great guys). I've avoided being in front of the camera.

Highlights include
- Reaver Titan dying and Warhound being reduced to 1 HP by the Gargant on turn one... only to have the Gargant be pinned down and blown to smithereens, taking 80+ Orks with it!
- A Night Lords dreadnought punching 5 HP off of a Knight-Lancer, killing it
- Hilarious risky deep strike with my Sternguard, who fluffed their melta shots and vortex grenade
- Brutal knight-on-knight combat
- One of the Knights I was given control of managed to make 11 Ion Shield saves in one round (4 of those D strength). From one Imperial player's whole turn of shooting (including Hydras) I took one stormtalon hull point, and that was a glance.
- 20 Sternguard dropping point-blank onto an enemy fortification, killing 15 Heavy Weapons Teams, being reduced to just 4 men, who proceeded to shoot up a Command Squad and claim the objective on the final turn

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/ajkbR

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

boom boom boom posted:

Isn't that what Kill Team and Zone Mortalis are?

Kill team is 200, and is Zone Mortalis a mainstream GW thing now?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

So I hate terminator helmets with a burning passion (in most cases) and decided to test fit one of the Corvus helmets on one of my knights. I think it looks pretty boss, and might stick with this for all Deathwing from here on out.

Definitely makes them look more aggressive.

When I put together a Deathwing force about 5 years ago I did this. I ditched terminator heads entirely and went with power armour heads and it looked pretty good.

I then sold the force to buy my daughter better Christmas presents. A reverse juice story.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Lord Twisted posted:

Some pictures + an album of the 50k a side apocalypse game I played yesterday. Very fun. Crushing victory for the Imperium, helped by the fact that we had the last turn. We managed to sweep the objectives with a Blood Angels reserve company precision deep striking and being then able to assault - pretty nasty.

My stuff is the dark red and black Raven's Repentance Chapter (including some of my Leman Russ' being lent to the other side as renegade tanks). My buddies are running the Night Lords + Cultist renegades (including the cool Demon Prince made out of of a Mortarch mount), and the non-yellow Orks.

I basically went with 30 sternguard in pods, 35 terminators, 10 Paladins and some super heavies with other stuff smattered about. I don't have all the pics but I took about 60.

Unfortunately there wasn't a huge amount painted - even the Titan Legion was still a work in progress (though thats understandable given the scale of the project). I'm a fan of preferred enemy:unpainted... I just don't understand how you can have that much bloody warhammer and not paint it up, its not like it breeds in your cupboard... but thats just my personal grumbling!

Obligatory crotchshots and neckbeards (all great guys). I've avoided being in front of the camera.

Highlights include
- Reaver Titan dying and Warhound being reduced to 1 HP by the Gargant on turn one... only to have the Gargant be pinned down and blown to smithereens, taking 80+ Orks with it!
- A Night Lords dreadnought punching 5 HP off of a Knight-Lancer, killing it
- Hilarious risky deep strike with my Sternguard, who fluffed their melta shots and vortex grenade
- Brutal knight-on-knight combat
- One of the Knights I was given control of managed to make 11 Ion Shield saves in one round (4 of those D strength). From one Imperial player's whole turn of shooting (including Hydras) I took one stormtalon hull point, and that was a glance.
- 20 Sternguard dropping point-blank onto an enemy fortification, killing 15 Heavy Weapons Teams, being reduced to just 4 men, who proceeded to shoot up a Command Squad and claim the objective on the final turn

Full Album: http://imgur.com/a/ajkbR

Holy poo poo that is a lot of models. And it sounds like you guys had a blast. How long did the game take?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Holy poo poo that is a lot of models. And it sounds like you guys had a blast. How long did the game take?

30 mins to set up, 30 mins to pack up (we were pretty efficient!) with 7 hours 30 mins of play including breaks. Got to the bottom of turn 3. Pretty fast playing overall, but we were flexible with phases so if someone was done shooting in their "sector" you just got right on with assaults after checking with the rest of the players. And we had the philosophy of not being fussed about firing and assaulting with every little bitty thing, and keeping to very strict turn timers (90 mins for all of player turn 1, 90 mins for all of player turn 2, then 60/60 then 30/30)

EDIT: Signed up to a "Slow Grow" league with my Necrons, but it starts at 400 pts so I can't field the Decurion just yet (minimum around 470 for that)

I've basically got a Decurion in terms of the models.

Was looking at something like:

Lord - 50 pts, Staff of Light w/ 10 Warriors - 130pts
5 Immortals - 85pts
3 Wraiths w/ Whip Coils - 129pts

Total: 394pts

Seems a bit light though, only 16 guys on foot plus the wraiths, but the troops are relatively expensive for Necrons.

Could be a cheeselord and take a Night Scythe somehow? Lord, 9 Immortals, Night Scythe, Warriors?

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 31, 2015

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

ghetto wormhole posted:

But they're finally good now!

Exactly. Time to leave this hobby until I make a Imperial Guard killteam just to have something. Fifteen years of collecting minis, and I haven't played a game in the past decade.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My issue with apocalypse games like that is that it looks very boring, just a long strip of table each army faxing each other basically already in range to just shoot.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

ijyt posted:

My issue with apocalypse games like that is that it looks very boring, just a long strip of table each army faxing each other basically already in range to just shoot.

To an extent it is. However you score objectives every player turn after turn 1 - so it means "mini battles" erupt around the objectives to try to contest/control them for your player turn, or force the enemy to retreat off them for a turn, etc.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Personally my beef with Apocalypse always was that while the battles look cool, the more firepower each side has, the more the whole thing swings on winning/seizing initiative. Say 10,000 points tends to be a whole fucklot of firepower, so when side A wins initiative and unloads with all their guns on side B.. well, side B tends to only have about 8,000 points left to fire back with at that point. Granted, it's the same thing with smaller games, but the more points you have, the swingier it is.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Lord Twisted posted:

To an extent it is. However you score objectives every player turn after turn 1 - so it means "mini battles" erupt around the objectives to try to contest/control them for your player turn, or force the enemy to retreat off them for a turn, etc.

Strategic Assets are also a fantastic (and often hilarious) addition, great for scheming and long plays. I find Apocalypse lends itself much more to the beerhammer attitude, where you really can't get bothered by half your army being vaporized by a giant plasma cannon top of turn one. You're there to throw dice and laugh at explosions.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

ijyt posted:

But there's so much free time between ending your turn and beginning your next one! You can balance your checkbook, file your taxes ... raise a family.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Apocalypse always felt like Warhammer $40k to me and cost has been a huge barrier to entry for me.

Also, I'm curious as to why Dark-Angels/Deathwing don't seem like a viable/competitive army to you guys. I've been out of the hobby a while but things haven't changed that much have they?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Apocalypse always felt like Warhammer $40k to me and cost has been a huge barrier to entry for me.

Also, I'm curious as to why Dark-Angels/Deathwing don't seem like a viable/competitive army to you guys. I've been out of the hobby a while but things haven't changed that much have they?

Primarily it has a low model count and unless you get even more expensive land raiders once you've deep striked in you're kinda slow and unmanouevable.

160ish pts get me a chimera with bs4 veterans shooting 6 plasma shots a turn before everything else on the tank and squad. Tactical terminators have 5+ invulnerable... So you're looking at a 4+ cover save at best. 5 terminators is like 200 pts before upgrades. I know what I'd rather have!

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Lord Twisted posted:

Primarily it has a low model count and unless you get even more expensive land raiders once you've deep striked in you're kinda slow and unmanouevable.

160ish pts get me a chimera with bs4 veterans shooting 6 plasma shots a turn before everything else on the tank and squad. Tactical terminators have 5+ invulnerable... So you're looking at a 4+ cover save at best. 5 terminators is like 200 pts before upgrades. I know what I'd rather have!

Yeah, the 'Deathwing Vehicle Upgrade' is asinine points cost wise. a 500pt Land Raider is overkill.

I don't see why they dropped Deep Strike from the models themselves, that was still balanced and made up for low model count with speed.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

i'm the lone cultist (?) in this pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Good to see McDonald's has branched out from Fast Food in the Grimdark Future.

• Locked thread