Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Tried it again, it still crashes on start-up for me. I think I wasted my money here...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've been playing it for a bit and didn't realize just how bad it was until I got to the Landmark Drive mark. Holy poo poo I haven't experienced a slideshow like this in years, it'd drop to single-digits in some areas. Actually reminds me of playing Carmageddon 486DX2 and 4 megs of RAM or some poo poo back in the day.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

King Vidiot posted:

They're no doubt still going to work on it, it's just a final release now because they consider it to be feature-complete.

Feature complete is what alpha is supposed to be. Feature and content complete is what beta is supposed to be. Please don't let devs call games "done" without both these things plus some goddamn polish.

Ugh.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Yodzilla posted:

Feature complete is what alpha is supposed to be. Feature and content complete is what beta is supposed to be. Please don't let devs call games "done" without both these things plus some goddamn polish.

Ugh.

Except it's also content complete. I said "feature complete", yeah, but now we're arguing over my word usage. The game is finished but it could be a whole hell of a lot more stable and polished I'll agree.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah sorry I wasn't trying to be combative, that was just me being an annoyed dev at another game being released done but rough and not being called beta.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
dang it runs like a dream and is super fun for me??

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yeah I had a blast with the early access and I'm probably going to play through the whole thing again. The handling takes some getting used to but I found it more similar to carmageddon 1 than anything else, and once you've got it, it can be heaps of fun powersliding around corners.

I would have liked some more, new cars, or even some of the more stupid cars from carma2, but I appreciate they are a relatively small team for what is a AA title. Also some textures are pretty low res, even on the highest quality settings.

The performance on my machine has been fine since the final release, and I've only ever had 3 crashes during the first playthrough. Not great, but certainly not unplayable.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

I've been playing it for a bit and didn't realize just how bad it was until I got to the Landmark Drive mark. Holy poo poo I haven't experienced a slideshow like this in years, it'd drop to single-digits in some areas. Actually reminds me of playing Carmageddon 486DX2 and 4 megs of RAM or some poo poo back in the day.

And somehow my i5 4570 and R9 270 with 8 gigs of ram only dips to like 24 fps at the lowest(smashing the poo poo out of the town area with all the cars in it).
You should keep reporting your experiences to Stainless so that there's a bigger chance to fix poo poo in the next update.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah sorry I wasn't trying to be combative, that was just me being an annoyed dev at another game being released done but rough and not being called beta.
They spent a year in EA and even delayed the release so it's not like they rushed it. :shrug:
It is weird though, I have a much lower-spec computer than people here (GTX760 and Intel i5) and have no problem running on mid settings with 30+fps now. And if you can run it smoothly it's a lot of fun, specially the online multiplayer.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Motherfucker posted:

dang it runs like a dream and is super fun for me??

Troll spotted!

It runs a lot better for me now but I'm still having to bump everything way down. I really enjoy the game itself which makes everything looking poppy more manageable at least.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I can run it smoothly but the handling is terrible. I can barely get around corners without sliding into a wall like the road is covered with grease let alone target powerups or enemies so it's not much fun.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

nexus6 posted:

I can run it smoothly but the handling is terrible. I can barely get around corners without sliding into a wall like the road is covered with grease let alone target powerups or enemies so it's not much fun.

Handling in Carmageddon games have always been bad. It's just something you have to get used to.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Has it been patched since it was officially released a couple days ago? I tried then and wasn't impressed, and have been playing since pre-alpha. i7/SLI 970s. Playable but not smooth as it should be. I wont be rushing back to kickstarter for my games after this and Shadowgate, and Road Redemption although I didn't buy that until it was released on Steam.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Starhawk64 posted:

Handling in Carmageddon games have always been bad. It's just something you have to get used to.

Yeah, at least in the first one. Played it a ton in my childhood and went back to it maybe a year ago and the handling was real bad... but I still enjoyed playing it.
Enjoying Reincarnation too. The handling gets decent once you get better cars and some practice in, but still not good by any means.

I've even completed three or four events by killing all pedestrians since I hate myself (there's a thread for "Peds shown on map" pickup locations on the official forums and it's kinda fun with the Electric Blue)

Maps load in about 45 seconds for me on an SSD.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Handling here seems bad compared to Carmageddon 1 that I played just recently.

Things do get better with better cars, and especially the "get wrecked 3 times in a row" almost went away once I got the Robert the truck. Otis is a tough motherfucker too as usual, but is huge and awkward to drive.

TheCoach posted:

And somehow my i5 4570 and R9 270 with 8 gigs of ram only dips to like 24 fps at the lowest(smashing the poo poo out of the town area with all the cars in it).
You should keep reporting your experiences to Stainless so that there's a bigger chance to fix poo poo in the next update.

Well you have a much more powerful computer than I do - an ancient Q6600 and GTX 650 Ti Boost machine that nevertheless manages to play everything else more than acceptably while looking better. While the performance in general is pretty bad, things almost come to a halt when the giant crusher thing starts loving poo poo up in one of the arena maps.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
I'm afraid no amount of "optimization" is going to make physics simulation not lag on a cpu that's 8 years old by now.

It will get better but this game runs slow mostly due to the amount of physics simulation in it.

Also I don't understand the whole "handling is bad" thing. Consider what the cars are, these are not racing cars they do not have gt-r level of handling. I enjoy the fact that they require some skill to control and at this moment I have no issues driving them, each of them is different and will behave differently. I recently played some C1 and C2 again and cars are much harder to control in those games, best example is C1 hawk vs C:R Hawk, the new one is just so much more responsive and predictable in the way it'll react compared to C1 where it was really drat difficult to get it under control.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I can see people's point about the floatiness and sluggish feeling, I'm on an i5 4670k with 8GB of RAM and while it runs smooth as a baby's arse now I've fiddled with the settings a bit, you have to admit it feels like the physics were modelled using Mars gravity. Not that I'm really complaining, it makes for some seriously stunning oval office jumps and spins and still feels like the original, which as one of the many old farts who played the first one when it came out, is an important feeling to maintain.

Stentorian Hoot
Jun 14, 2001

Couldn't get it up...
I hope they add in tracked vehicles at some point. In a video they mentioned they had to cut them for time.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Stentorian Hoot posted:

I hope they add in tracked vehicles at some point. In a video they mentioned they had to cut them for time.

I think in one of the livestreams they said they'd try to work on tracked vehicles as a free update after release.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Do you want to hear a couple of video game journalists poo poo on Carmageddon for 26 minutes while playing it in the most boring way possible? No? Too bad, because that's exactly what the Giant Bomb quicklook from a few days ago is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhzs4DsAklg

I watched this shortly after it came out, and there were already a bunch of commenters going "aw gently caress they ruined Carmageddon, this looks boring!" I generally like Giant Bomb, but they didn't even try with this QL. Much like the earlier Earth Defense Force 2025 QL, really. Also, Jeff says the original Carmageddon games are bad, which is possibly the wrongest thing I've ever heard him say. I understand not liking them, but to straight-up call them bad games is just dumb.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Goddamn I've run into a dearth of upgrade tokens. I had seven, spent them all on upgrades so more would spawn and since then I've found a grand total of one, even leaving a single enemy alive in Classic Carma and cruising round the map hasn't really helped, though I did grab a few smelly bushes while doing so.

edit: Investigation reveals that you won't find any upgrade tokens if the vehicle you're currently driving has no current room to be upgraded.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 31, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did you actually run out of tokens? It seems that whenever I have a healthy amount of them, I don't come across any in the levels, but the moment I use them up, suddenly I pick up like 10 in the next race.
Edit to your edit: yeah that's probably that.

Aaanyway, I just finished the career mode. It's Carmageddon, so it's fun. But something is definitely missing, the game just feels unfinished, which it probably really is. There are fewer cars and maps than there were in 1 & 2, with most being recycled and only a couple of new ones. You can't get any of the cop cars, and there's no Suppressor. With better graphical capabilities, you'd think at least the offensive upgrades would be visible as huge spikes or something, but nope. As mentioned previously, it seems that the balance between AI and your offensive/strength is a bit off - you either get wasted 5 times in a row by an AI driver looking at you, or, once you get the Towmeister or better, you just wreck their poo poo no problem (except that fucker Otis, who's still a pain in the rear end). Then the career ends at a regular carma event and a wet fart afterwards, not even a cheesy video or anything.

On the other hand,

:black101:

TLDR: The game is fun but feels like an unfinished HD remake of the original.

Doc Morbid posted:

Do you want to hear a couple of video game journalists poo poo on Carmageddon for 26 minutes while playing it in the most boring way possible? No? Too bad, because that's exactly what the Giant Bomb quicklook from a few days ago is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhzs4DsAklg
Despite all my whining, I don't think anyone's been as wrong as these guys since their parents' decision not to use a condom.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 31, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Can you make videos of the last seconds, changing camera angles to see from other angles and then play it back with the camera changing the way you want? Like it was in carma 2 by the way. It doesn't even need to output video since I can do it with shadowplay, but playing back with the camera angles I want would be glorious.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

program666 posted:

Can you make videos of the last seconds, changing camera angles to see from other angles and then play it back with the camera changing the way you want? Like it was in carma 2 by the way. It doesn't even need to output video since I can do it with shadowplay, but playing back with the camera angles I want would be glorious.
Yeah you still have the full replay editor, and you can review everything from the beginning to the end of the race (so you don't need to worry about missing a moment).
Although there's no export/share functionality like the mobile version for some reason.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just uninstalled this game. The only thing that takes more time than the load screens are the times you hold down the repair button. I'll come back to this game maybe if they adjust the balance, physics, and optimization.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

You can't get any of the cop cars, and there's no Suppressor.
Yeah you can, you just need to win all the events in career mode. There is no Suppressor, but there is the Subpressor which is the same thing except with four wheels instead of six. Also, you only get an ending if you win all the events, even though it's not really worth it (basically a "Congratulations! You sure won all the races!" text screen like the ones you'd have in old NES games or something).

edit: I'm not sure what's going on with the loading times for some people. My SSD loads the events in maybe ten seconds as long as vsync is turned off (for some reason, enabling vsync makes the load times at least twice as long, like they're tied to the frame rate or some poo poo :wtc:).

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 31, 2015

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Apparently challenge-related unlocks are also broken. I just spent half an hour skewering cows on the Degoryun's grille and while the Steam achievement popped and it shows I completed the challenge, the skins/rims didn't unlock.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Morbid posted:

Yeah you can, you just need to win all the events in career mode. There is no Suppressor, but there is the Subpressor which is the same thing except with four wheels instead of six. Also, you only get an ending if you win all the events, even though it's not really worth it (basically a "Congratulations! You sure won all the races!" text screen like the ones you'd have in old NES games or something).

edit: I'm not sure what's going on with the loading times for some people. My SSD loads the events in maybe ten seconds as long as vsync is turned off (for some reason, enabling vsync makes the load times at least twice as long, like they're tied to the frame rate or some poo poo :wtc:).

Ah ok, that's possible, it didn't even show up in the car list like I believe it did in the old games. Of course I haven't won all races either because after getting the Towmeister I always had enough points to advance after a single carma event. I did get some sort of text message but it was so unimpressive I don't even remember what it was.

I'll have to try the vsync thing because that's the most ridiculous thing that I can totally see be the reason it takes a minute and a half to load a race off a Samsung 840 EVO SSD.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
While I really do think a good deal of the vehicles just plain aren't fun to drive, its biggest sin is that race events are boring as hell. There's absolutely nothing interesting about them and there's no challenge as the AI drivers barely even try even in dedicated race events.

I legit like wrecking other opponents though and the checkpoint races are chaotic fun even if the peds variant is basically the same drat thing. It's just a shame that two of the three ways to win a classic event aren't interesting whatsoever. Killing all peds even in the original games was never fun but it got a pass because it was edgy and weird.

e: also the game seems to have w big where if you kill yourself and lose a point, coming back to life crosses you back over the "killed yourself" threshold and you'll lose another point while healing

:thumbsup:

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 31, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Eurogamer review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-29-carmageddon-reincarnation-review

tl;dr: game is still fun as hell but what the gently caress is up with these technical issues

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Why the hell would the AI drivers be allowed to pick up upgrade tokens??

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Why the hell would the AI drivers be allowed to pick up upgrade tokens??
If they do, the tokens should respawn after a short while. At least I seem to remember that happening in some of my races.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not only do they pick them up, I'm pretty sure they also use them. I'm kind of ok with that.

Edit: sorry, I didn't read that properly. I think they do use regular powerups, but probably not the upgrade tokens.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 1, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If that's the case and that's how AI players upgrade during the Career I'd be perfectly cool with that.

I'm up to chapter 8 and I think this game could be improved by eliminating some of the more useless powerups. Why do some of the ped abilities just not fire? What good are the Opponent Stingers and the Opponent Ejaculators? Why is there a power that just makes you spin in place? Why are there so many that make handling in this game even worse??

I feel like stuff is jokey to the point of being obscure sometimes.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Opponent Stinger is good, you can really gently caress over an opponent and make him far less dangerous by taking out his tires. Spinnertron is okay, at least in previous builds you were able to hit opponents pretty hard while spinning, although there are obviously much better options for wrecking them. Opponent Ejaculator is there because it probably made someone on the team laugh (which is also how many other useless powerups got there).

I wish they still had Drunk Driving from Carma 2, that was my favorite useless powerup. It reversed all your controls, made everything all wobbly and played burping sound effects, and all the points you scored were tripled.

edit: opponent freeze ray and opponent tosser are completely worthless though

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 1, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

mobby_6kl posted:

Despite all my whining, I don't think anyone's been as wrong as these guys since their parents' decision not to use a condom.

I used to like GB, but they always seem like they're out of gas nowadays. Maybe it's just due to that big dude on their staff dying, but they suck all the fun out of everything. I only watch them for E3 conferences anymore.

What would happen if you gave this game to The Best Friends?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Doc Morbid posted:

I've gotten a good number of kills with tosser. Freeze ray is useless though and so is oil slick.

And that GB video isn't wrong, a good number of events in this game are just boring as hell.

e: "There's an enormous erection ahead, and you're going to have to get a firm grip and pull off the biggest one of your life. U-turn that is."

:wtc: English is this team's first language isn't it?

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 1, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I still enjoy GB a lot but they've shifted from something you can get actual opinions from to a group of guys who play video games while paling around. They're fun to watch but it's rare they find a game they LOVE, especially something as off the beaten path as Carmageddon.

So is there a final tally for how short of the initial goals they fell? I haven't looked too far into the release yet but it seems like they just barely made the minimum possible and the dream they launched Kickstarter with kind of deflated a little bit.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

So is there a final tally for how short of the initial goals they fell? I haven't looked too far into the release yet but it seems like they just barely made the minimum possible and the dream they launched Kickstarter with kind of deflated a little bit.
Off the top of my head:

- Some of the planned cars (Hammerhead and King Merc) didn't make it
- Pratcam didn't make it, they shot some footage but thought there were more important things to focus on (true) and that it didn't add much to the gameplay (also true, but it was a fun little thing)
- CarMODgeddon didn't make it, although they're still going to release that in some form
- Cars splitting in half didn't make it yet, although they swear Patrick Buckland is still working to get it done for a later update
- Pedestrians were supposed to split dynamically, but that was simplified
- They promised that the graphics would improve and there would be blades of grass and all that kind of stuff, but that never happened (probably a good thing since the frame rate is what it is already)
- Split screen multiplayer was mentioned at some point, but doesn't exist in the final game
- Speaking of multiplayer, there are no pedestrians in that mode
- Nobby said there would be elephants. There are no elephants.

This was always more or less supposed to be an HD remake of the original Carmageddon with some mechanics from the second game, and that's pretty much what we got. It could use some more cars and levels, though, but I don't think those were ever really promised or anything.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

Opponent Tosser is great inside of buildings, gotten more than one kill by bouncing them off the ceiling.

• Locked thread