Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, it's during the story quest quest Ugly Baby

Ah, in Velen. Know if doing that one will lock out the one with the King's Heir, or can I do it and unlock Kaer Morhen without any worries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

oh my god the High Stakes Gwent quest first round was ridiculous we both play/counterplayed and revived all six of our factions spy cards so at one point we had 16 cars in our play pile with nothing but decoys on the board...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Ah, in Velen. Know if doing that one will lock out the one with the King's Heir, or can I do it and unlock Kaer Morhen without any worries?

That quest starts act two and does close off at least one quest, Following the Thread I believe it's called? I'm not sure if it cuts that one you're worried about off, but the game straight up tells you when a quest closes. You can start it and if the quest you're worried about doesn't close when you take Uma from the Quartermaster at Crow's Peak then you should be fine. Generally speaking, you should be fine for side quests though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Memento posted:

Do you mean ability points that you use to buy extra skills? You get one the first time you draw from any Place of Power, so it might seem like you have a bunch to spend at once.

Otherwise this question doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Yeah, maybe I was using the wrong word. It says there are 2 or 3 points available, usually after giving a beggar some gold, but the character screen shows 0 points available.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you take the alchemy skill that gives you health back when you use a potion, Swallow is basically always a free full heal. And you can get a free Superior Swallow in act 2 if you play your cards right.

Healing isn't much of a concern. Also there's that skill that gives you health back in real time when you're not in combat. It's slow but it helps.

There's also the decoction that gives you about 10% health back whenever you use a sign or special attack that consumes stamina. It's basically a free heal-to-full outside of combat because you just need to spam quen a couple of times, and pretty reliable in-combat as well without draining consumables.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Yeah, maybe I was using the wrong word. It says there are 2 or 3 points available, usually after giving a beggar some gold, but the character screen shows 0 points available.

The only time that the HUD shows you how many ability points you have is during a level-up, so I still think you're confusing something. I haven't given any good to any beggars yet, but are you sure it doesn't just give you 2-3 experience? I also haven't heard of any bug where you lose your ability points, but who knows.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

So I bought witcher 3 but never really finished wither 2. Few minutes in W3 I get this undeniable urge to finish up W2 first and go for a full Roache playthrough.

Some 40 hours later I'm about to finish up but now I kind of feel like I'll be missing out if I don't do the Iortveth playthrough as well.

Would you recommend doing both runs to maximise my enjoyment and understanding of the story from W3? Or does it really not matter that much?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It barely matters at all. W2 is a great game but the plot of it is almost non existent in this game outside of side stuff.

TheTromboner
Nov 12, 2008

Mikojan posted:

So I bought witcher 3 but never really finished wither 2. Few minutes in W3 I get this undeniable urge to finish up W2 first and go for a full Roache playthrough.

Some 40 hours later I'm about to finish up but now I kind of feel like I'll be missing out if I don't do the Iortveth playthrough as well.

Would you recommend doing both runs to maximise my enjoyment and understanding of the story from W3? Or does it really not matter that much?

You get some story stuff that ties in to the Witcher 3 but it's mostly inconsequential. Get in there and start witching.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I just got to Kaer Morhen. I told at least two people to go there but I can't find them anywhere. (Letho and Keira). Do they show up later or are they just not mentioned and hanging around somewhere? It's a lot bigger of a fortress than I thought.

Edit: Also holy poo poo they 100% recreated the fortress, even interiors, from Witcher 1.

Edit 2: Lambert is a baby. He's constantly an rear end in a top hat but once you're mean to him he gets whiny.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Badly Jester posted:

The only time that the HUD shows you how many ability points you have is during a level-up, so I still think you're confusing something. I haven't given any good to any beggars yet, but are you sure it doesn't just give you 2-3 experience? I also haven't heard of any bug where you lose your ability points, but who knows.

You're right, i'm confusing experience points with upgrade points. I was confused because they were such low numbers, like 2 and 3. I should maybe play sober sometime.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, uh, I'm exploring and come across this town called Frischlow... what the gently caress happened here?!

I'm used to coming across towns that have been abandoned or have everybody in town dead, gently caress I passed Byways to get here and that opened up a new quest to figure out what happened there, but bloody hell there's piles of burning corpses and wraiths everywhere, I haven't seen a town that badly hosed up since Witcher 2. Is there a quest or anything that leads to you finding out what happened or will it be a mystery forever?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sankis posted:

I just got to Kaer Morhen. I told at least two people to go there but I can't find them anywhere. (Letho and Keira). Do they show up later or are they just not mentioned and hanging around somewhere? It's a lot bigger of a fortress than I thought.

Edit: Also holy poo poo they 100% recreated the fortress, even interiors, from Witcher 1.

Edit 2: Lambert is a baby. He's constantly an rear end in a top hat but once you're mean to him he gets whiny.

They show up later. Not sure if they're around before hand because I didn't look.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So, I just beat the game. I have to say, a lot of the choices in this game were tough. But there was one at the end that was a no brainer. It was siding with Roche over Dijkstra. Why sure Redanian rear end in a top hat patriot, I'm just going to let you kill motherfucking Thaler who teaches trolls to curse and is awesome, Roche who helps you even though you picked Iorveth (because he is just that cool) and Ves who fucks poo poo up. These are friends who have helped me over the years and I'm just going to let them die because I am a true neutral Witcher. I really don't think you've thought your poo poo plan through all that much.

Archimago posted:

And in Kaer Morhen the stuff they are drinking is "half spirits half white gull" and I think White Gull is the Witcher equivalent of Everclear.

It is actually the equivalent of absinthe because White Gull is an alcohol that has hallucinogenic properties :eng101:

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Dapper Dan posted:

So, I just beat the game. I have to say, a lot of the choices in this game were tough. But there was one at the end that was a no brainer. It was siding with Roche over Dijkstra. Why sure Redanian rear end in a top hat patriot, I'm just going to let you kill motherfucking Thaler who teaches trolls to curse and is awesome, Roche who helps you even though you picked Iorveth (because he is just that cool) and Ves who fucks poo poo up. These are friends who have helped me over the years and I'm just going to let them die because I am a true neutral Witcher. I really don't think you've thought your poo poo plan through all that much.

It is actually the equivalent of absinthe because White Gull is an alcohol that has hallucinogenic properties :eng101:

Yeah. Endgame crap: I totally liked Djikstra but there's no way in gently caress that was going down. At that point I'd also figured out that Nilfgaard actually was the good guys in the world and them taking over everything would be far more beneficial to society than the stupid poo poo going on. I got the best ending too which was just icing on the cake for Nilfgaard winning it all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dapper Dan posted:

Djikstra is a pretty important character from the novels and you'd probably have stronger feelings about siding with him if you'd read them. Or if you want a strong and united North against Nilfgaard, since siding with Roche and Thaler means that Nilfgaard wins the war and takes over everything, basically. I do agree that it felt cheap though, and while I like him as a character there's just no way that most people will consider the political ramifications of the issue over the personal ones when it's right in your face like that. poo poo, he could have just waited until you'd left to backstab them.

edit: like, it doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't Roche go along with the plan when he was willing to allow Temeria to call Nilfgaard its sovereign? Wouldn't he prefer Redania and a strong, united North over the Black Ones? I don't think you thought this plan through, Djikstra.

The writers just wanted a conflict and a choice there and it doesn't work well at all and is a crummy end to cool characters.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 31, 2015

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Djikstra is a pretty important character from the novels and you'd probably have stronger feelings about siding with him if you'd read them. Or if you want a strong and united North against Nilfgaard, since siding with Roche and Thaler means that Nilfgaard wins the war and takes over everything, basically. I do agree that it felt cheap though, and although I like him as a character there's just no way that most people will consider the political ramifications of the issue over the personal ones when it's right in your face like that. poo poo, he could have just waited until you'd left to backstab them.

Yeah but in the end Nilfgaard really wasn't that bad of a country and even Emyr becomes a sympathetic character once you figure out his motivations and why he's fighting the war. They come off brutal as hell when it comes to war, but that's loving war, and they were actually a pretty good and progressive society aside from that. Plus Emyr passing on the throne makes everything just peachy if you get that ending.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Djikstra is a pretty important character from the novels and you'd probably have stronger feelings about siding with him if you'd read them. Or if you want a strong and united North against Nilfgaard, since siding with Roche and Thaler means that Nilfgaard wins the war and takes over everything, basically. I do agree that it felt cheap though, and while I like him as a character there's just no way that most people will consider the political ramifications of the issue over the personal ones when it's right in your face like that. poo poo, he could have just waited until you'd left to backstab them.

edit: like, it doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't Roche go along with the plan when he was willing to allow Temeria to call Nilfgaard its sovereign? Wouldn't he prefer Redania and a strong, united North over the Black Ones? I don't think you thought this plan through, Djikstra.

The writers just wanted a conflict and a choice there and it doesn't work well at all and is a crummy end to cool characters.

I honestly liked Djikstra and thought he was pretty cool. I mean, yeah Geralt is neutral in politics and all, but killing three people who've helped him out time and again isn't politics, it is personal. Djikstra should have figured that Geralt would have reacted like that. There should have been something like with Ciri, if you gently caress up your relationship with Djikstra, you either have to kill him or let him kill Roche/Thaler/Vess. If you have a good relationship with him, maybe he can be convinced to spare them and go through with his plan to gently caress over the Emhyr. Or you can convince the three to go with Djikstra and have the invasion fail. I think you are right though, it is kind of cheap. I don't really see many people picking the option to have them get killed.

If you didn't play any of the other games or read the books solely, I guess you might pick having the three of them slaughtered. But besides that, I don't really see Geralt caring much about a united North more so than this spy who wants to betray and kill his friends. I mean, you have to be ice cold to just let Djikstra kill these guys in cold blood.

Thunderbro posted:

Yeah. Endgame crap: I totally liked Djikstra but there's no way in gently caress that was going down. At that point I'd also figured out that Nilfgaard actually was the good guys in the world and them taking over everything would be far more beneficial to society than the stupid poo poo going on. I got the best ending too which was just icing on the cake for Nilfgaard winning it all.

Pretty much, yeah. I feel the same way. The North was a shithole mess anyway and there was no loving way I was ever letting Radovid get out alive. North or no north, that crazy piece of poo poo had to go..

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thunderbro posted:

Yeah but in the end Nilfgaard really wasn't that bad of a country and even Emyr becomes a sympathetic character once you figure out his motivations and why he's fighting the war. They come off brutal as hell when it comes to war, but that's loving war, and they were actually a pretty good and progressive society aside from that. Plus Emyr passing on the throne makes everything just peachy if you get that ending.

Actually, no, Nilfgaard is poo poo. You have to realize that they've incited this war (and the previous ones as well) and assassinated like half the royal families in the North, where things were actually quite fine before Nilgaardian intervention. That's also ignoring some things the games kind of gloss over, such as how slavery is a big thing in Nilfgaard. Though the games show quite effectively how merciless they can be (all of the people hanging you see around are from Nilfgaard). Emyr is straight up the bad guy for the entire novel series and only relents at the last second in the very last book because he decides that maybe kidnapping his own daughter to marry and then sleep with her so she can have a super baby wasn't the best plan. The only reason that 99% of the bad poo poo that happens in the books or games comes to pass is directly the result of Nilfgaard in general or the Emperor specifically. They're not good.

Funnily enough, in the books one of the bad guys that tries to hunt down Ciri is a traitor to the Emperor with the goal of casting out the royalty system and implementing a democracy in Nilfgaard

edit: frankly, I'm suspicious about his motives in the game as well because he marries a look alike of Cirilla in the books to get a claim on the throne of Cintra. Ciri showing up in Nilfgaard would automatically invalidate that and wouldn't make any sense anyway because he should have an heir through his wife, if not now then eventually.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 31, 2015

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Manatee Cannon posted:

edit: frankly, I'm suspicious about his motives in the game as well because he marries a look alike of Cirilla in the books to get a claim on the throne of Cintra. Ciri showing up in Nilfgaard would automatically invalidate that and wouldn't make any sense anyway because he should have an heir through his wife, if not now then eventually.

Yeah, I never trusted him. To me, the best ending was Ciri becoming a Witcher. It was what she always wanted and she's free from anyone's machinations. She forges her own path and is a pawn no longer. gently caress Emhyr, he can go pound sand. Ciri is in Zerrikania

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

:siren: if you cast axii in a hare it will follow you around :siren:

Havent confirmed geese yet.

E: pig and hen friends confirmed

E2 :frogsiren: geese confirmed :frogsiren:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 10:08 on May 31, 2015

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

About to enter the Gwent Tounament.Super excited to win 9k. That should solve my money problems forever.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

I encouraged Aldert Geert, that merchant that teaches you about Gwent right at the start of the game, to go off and see the war.

Fifteen levels later on I found an unfinished book at the base of the Hanged Mans' Tree which was written by someone who sounded a lot like Geert. Did my stupid advice get him killed?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Arrgytehpirate posted:

About to enter the Gwent Tounament.Super excited to win 9k. That should solve my money problems forever.

You'd be surprised how quickly you'll burn through several thousand crowns. At one point I sold a bunch of the relic swords and other crap I'd been lugging around (as well as crafting/selling assassins trousers for ~350 a pop) and in a short while buying up alchemy ingredients I couldn't find anywhere I had less than 2k left out of 10.

edit: ^^^^ Knowing the bleak nature of the setting, probably.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Just finished this sucker. 97 hours to complete, ended at level 35. Only things I didn't do were run down all question marks and collect all gwent cards.

I had been excited for this game and a witcher fan, but I simply was not prepared for the quality and quantity that was delivered. This game completely devoured all of my free time for two straight weeks and I have no regrets.

Barring an act of god this is the year's best game, and one of the best games ever made. The amount of talent at CDPR is unreal. Given that each of their games has been a massive improvement on the last I cannot wait to see Cyberpunk 2077.

Well thanks for reading my witcher opinions and good luck witcher friends.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

Just finished this sucker. 97 hours to complete, ended at level 35. Only things I didn't do were run down all question marks and collect all gwent cards.

I had been excited for this game and a witcher fan, but I simply was not prepared for the quality and quantity that was delivered. This game completely devoured all of my free time for two straight weeks and I have no regrets.

Barring an act of god this is the year's best game, and one of the best games ever made. The amount of talent at CDPR is unreal. Given that each of their games has been a massive improvement on the last I cannot wait to see Cyberpunk 2077.

I straight-up marathoned this game for 3 days straight (thanks to flexible work schedule) and I'm still in Velen/Novigrad and am only level 15. I was expecting a decent sized game, what I've been delivered will probably see me still playing this during the heat death of the universe.

The list of stuff I find to be awesome/cool/interesting/etc in this game is so huge I could start writing a list then forget half of what I was intending on adding, but I definitely have to give mention to the sheer brilliance and emotional range of the facial animations (and also how well it runs on my GTX 460).

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Game of all time forever just for that one line :

I had one of the most miserable quest ending I've ever experienced, resulting directly from a choice I wish I hadn't made and I can't save scum (ahoy Skellige spoilers)
It all started when I was searching for pearls...
After diving the sea a few times and solved the quest for pearls, I spot a lighthouse on a peninsula not that far, approaching the isle I notice a weird mist all over and my witcher sense is tigling. The only survivor here informs me the isle is cursed with wraiths since the lighthouse got extinguished. After battling with an invincible super wraith, the curse is lifted and I have to go in the village to collect my reward.
In the village inn, two unwelcoming folks try to engage a fight with me but a kind citizen won't have any of this poo poo and disperse them. He gives me the reward for lifting the lighthouse curse and we have a brew. Leaving the inn, the two drunk guys from before lead another charge and a brawl issues, during which my drinking companion is deadly wounded and I chop the heads off our opponents, rewarding me with a quick vacation in prison.
The local Jarl judges me guilty of murder and orders me to either getting my head chopped myself or paying the guys' father their weight in silver. Of course I don't have that kind of pocket money, so he pays the deed himself to the father, and send me on a mission to help his own son's rear end. The lad wants to enter a magical cave to prove his valor but it seems the survival rate isn't really great.
I get there and introduces myself as a witcher, we go in the cave with his two buddies and get high on :catdrugs: as it's apparently mandatory for the ritual. After following a flying phantasmagoric whale we go through a series of trials facing our worst fears, we start getting total bros during fights against spectral ennemies, all the whole culminating with facing my own fear, the King of the Wild Hunt himself. I get knocked down and when I come back to my senses I'm met with nothing but hostility, a messenger had come by during my passing out and the boys know I was working for his father, but since I introduced myself as a witcher and therefore demanded payment -which I didn't- while being under an obligation, he throws me some coin to my face, tells me I have no honor and to gently caress off.
I've never felt so lovely in a game, I said I was a witcher so I wouldn't hurt his feelings telling him his father didn't trust him to come back alive. My last save before introducing myself to the guy was before the lighthouse.
On top of that the ending of the pearl quest was also depressing.

gently caress you CDPR ! (no really I love you guys your game is awesome)

Zanael fucked around with this message at 10:52 on May 31, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zanael posted:

Game of all time forever just for that one line :

That whole exchange is fantastic. Geralt's "Ugh, I knew that'd be a lovely story." legitimately caught me off guard the first time I did that quest for how hilarious and blunt it is. The game's got some really great little moments like that.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

No Mods No Masters posted:

It really is one of the best games I've ever played. And that's no hyperbole. The craftsmanship and care that went into detailing the world and making it unique is astonishing. It actually feels like a living, breathing world. Not just a huge space that's mostly empty and lifeless that requires mods to fill it up (I am looking at you Elder Scrolls Games). It isn't without its problems, though.

The inventory system is a living nightmare. Having potions, oils, food mixed in with notes/books is insane. The weight limit is far too low for an open world game of this scale, especially since you can't store your items anywhere and have to carry everything around with you. Some of the oil formulas require monsters that are extremely rare, like Ekimmaras. There were also some glitches, but that is to be expected from a game so soon after launch. These are also things that can be fixed, either with mods or with patches. In time, I think it will be perfect and something you can keep replaying. Lastly: 'PAMM PARAM, PAM PAM PARAM' drove me loving crazy. That's the new 'get out of here Stalker' for me.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dapper Dan posted:

It really is one of the best games I've ever played. And that's no hyperbole. The craftsmanship and care that went into detailing the world and making it unique is astonishing. It actually feels like a living, breathing world. Not just a huge space that's mostly empty and lifeless that requires mods to fill it up (I am looking at you Elder Scrolls Games). It isn't without its problems, though.

The inventory system is a living nightmare. Having potions, oils, food mixed in with notes/books is insane. The weight limit is far too low for an open world game of this scale, especially since you can't store your items anywhere and have to carry everything around with you. Some of the oil formulas require monsters that are extremely rare, like Ekimmaras. There were also some glitches, but that is to be expected from a game so soon after launch. These are also things that can be fixed, either with mods or with patches. In time, I think it will be perfect and something you can keep replaying. Lastly: 'PAMM PARAM, PAM PAM PARAM' drove me loving crazy. That's the new 'get out of here Stalker' for me.

I agree, the world feels alive. I also agree on the inventory thing too, books and notes need their own tab, so does food. My oils/potions/decoctions shouldn't have to share space with vendor trash.

"You'll choke on three pounds of steel" is my "PAMM PAAAM PARAAAAAM" though, every time I hear it I want to grapeshot the fucker that said it into a spurting stump.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

katlington posted:

:siren: if you cast axii in a hare it will follow you around :siren:

Havent confirmed geese yet.

E: pig and hen friends confirmed

E2 :frogsiren: geese confirmed :frogsiren:

Use it on a wild horse and you can ride it.
Use nekker warrior decoction, equip an axe and get undressed. Ravage the world as a terrifying savage on bareback.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Nasgate posted:

Use it on a wild horse and you can ride it.
Use nekker warrior decoction, equip an axe and get undressed. Ravage the world as a terrifying savage on bareback.

I was planning on bare-knuckle fighting poo poo for a while but now I want to do this instead.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Did they fix secondary quests not giving XP yet? I don't want to play till that's fixed.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So even on Death March, by the end of the game are you just drowning in healing food and drink if you are even just a little competent at the fighting in this game?

I start selling all my food before leaving Velen. Once you spec hard enough into alchemy and upgrade your recipes, a single does of Swallow lasts through an entire fight and you have so much bonus vitality it doesn't really matter whether you heal obsessively.

Edit: Also it's just way too much of a pain in the rear end to have food in your inventory when you've got 20 decoctions and a dozen each bombs and potions to sift through.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 31, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dandelion.jpg :allears:

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Greetings, bloody human... hocus pocus... abracadabra... arse flowers :allears:

(Yes, I'm childish)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there anything I can put in my pockets other than the torch and magic lamp?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there anything I can put in my pockets other than the torch and magic lamp?

You get some stuff on Skellige.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Gort posted:

Did they fix secondary quests not giving XP yet? I don't want to play till that's fixed.

They said they'd patch it on Monday for PC, consoles get the update later due to authentication.

Also anecdotal evidence suggests this only happens once you start turning in gray quests, unless you already have the bug you should be fine doing green ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Fighting Leshens is fun. Wish all the encounters in the game were so well designed.