Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought that if you stay in the spawn point you are invulnerable?

People step out of the invulnerable bits you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
drat... lost 20% to 60% to a team with 3 snipers. First time I've ever seen people use them.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I just got a piece of that came with the recon ability, and it such a huge convenience. It feels so good not having to worry about getting splatted right after you super-jump.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
What's everyone's favorite map? I think I like the warehouse the most, followed by the sea rig and the skatepark.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Here's my thing about the gyro controls. I play video games as God intended: curled up in a little knot, flipped belly up, with the controller on my chin (or possibly my nose). Having to move the controller messes with my superior gaming technique.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
sea rig is my favorite map

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Join a game, and my team is myself with a 52-Gal Deco, two Rollers, and a charge gun against a full group of shooters :shepicide:.

Come back after the newscast rotation, me and three rollers :suicide:.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Sea Rig is good when you have a good splat charger who can hold the entire bottom section by themselves

It's bad when the good splat charger is on the other team

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.

Bean posted:

Here's my thing about the gyro controls. I play video games as God intended: curled up in a little knot, flipped belly up, with the controller on my chin (or possibly my nose). Having to move the controller messes with my superior gaming technique.

Attach the gamepad more securely to your chin, and use facial movements to aim. Ultimate inkmersion.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm being dumb, How on earth does anyone get much in the way of points from charging weapons?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm being dumb, How on earth does anyone get much in the way of points from charging weapons?

Shoot the enemy

You just can't miss, so it's harder.

Jopoho
Feb 17, 2012
The tricky part about earning points with a charger is that you do the most for your team when you lock down and hold an area. It's one case where the best thing you can do for your team might not lead to points.

I've seen a team just give up on trying to take the bottom of sea rig after a good round with a charger. I tried to move around a bit to get points but you can't make them think you've abandoned the post.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

SL the Pyro posted:

:siren: holy poo poo that final boss :siren:

Legit the best and most satisfying final boss I've fought in a long time, I'm glad I didn't spoil it for myself earlier. :unsmith:

Story mode was short, sweet and fairly challenging. Probably my only gripe was that one Kelp Octoling who thought it would be funny to imitate a spawncamper, gave me my only game over. :argh:

It's up there with the Scarecrow in Arkham Asylum and old-man-fisticuffing Liquid Ocelot in MGS4. It feels so good!

:woop::derp::derp::woop:

The post-apocalyptic scenario portrayed in Splatoon is where we'll end up if Eurovision isn't stopped.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 31, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just managed to win with a team with four rollers. Don't loving ask me how I have no idea

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bown posted:

Just managed to win with a team with four rollers. Don't loving ask me how I have no idea

I had one of these last night. I guess the enemy team was all level 1s or something, but as a 4-roller team we won with like 88%

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rofl the kraken can climb unprinted walls. Great thing to discover while getting a triple kill

Kraken is the best special

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Kraken rules. I wish it lasted just a little longer.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bown posted:

Yeah Kraken rules. I wish it lasted just a little longer.

There is certainly gear for that. I can't wait to min max and look fabulous in this game

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I'm having one weird problem with this game. Sometimes when a player gets splatted, they make a sound that sounds a lot like a sound my cat makes when she wants something. So I keep looking down to see what the cat wants only to see her sleeping.

I'll get over it.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just my imagination, but it seems like if you're moving forward when you squid into ink, your ink refills faster. I did some actual testing in the weapon test area and couldn't really see a difference, but it sure feels that way in battle.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
I'm pretty sure ink is supposed to refill faster when you move in ink as opposed to standing still, yeah.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
But the difference I'm seeing is that you have to be moving when you hit the squid button. If you dive and then start moving, it doesn't seem to fill up as fast.

It's actually more like you get a huge chunk of ink right away and then it starts filling at the same rate. So you can dive in for a half second, then pop up and keep shooting, but only if you're running in your ink.

I really want to test this some more, but it's 5 AM where I live and I should sleep.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Chargers are inkredibly satisfying. I held off one of the side hallways with a sprinkler, a charger, and my wits. That said I am trash with them, and it is the worst when there is more than one charger on your team.

Also didnt know this but I attached the sprinkler to something on the ceiling. Rained hell and the enemy team was very confused.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Bown posted:

If you have four rollers who don't play like dumbasses, I could see it being possible.

I love playing roller, but I get aggravated when someone runs ahead of me on a back alley with their splattershot jr and shittily inks all the territory. That's my job, I'm better at it than you!

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I really love the sniper weapon with the sprinkler sub, and I average around 8 or 9 kills per round. But the game seems to hate me as much as the other players probably do, because the game gives me piddly amounts of points compared to my other teammates. The thing's just no good for spreading ink instead of death. I really wish the game rewards you more for kills. Or splats.

Also am I the only person who thinks some of the single player stage songs sound kind of like high energy versions of something from The Rugrats?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

I really love the sniper weapon with the sprinkler sub, and I average around 8 or 9 kills per round. But the game seems to hate me as much as the other players probably do, because the game gives me piddly amounts of points compared to my other teammates. The thing's just no good for spreading ink instead of death. I really wish the game rewards you more for kills. Or splats.

Also am I the only person who thinks some of the single player stage songs sound kind of like high energy versions of something from The Rugrats?

Well, that makes sense, because this game tries to make you remember the 90s.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I Started out absolutely hating charger weapons but since doing all the girl inkling amiibo challenges I think I have them pretty figured out and now the squiffer is my favourite weapon. I love that thing. Charges fast enough to bring it to the front lines, landmines for some area denial, and its a charger so you can make a quick escape and still be effective from far away

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Oh maaaan! The Squid amiibo challenges are soooooo fuuuuun! Who can resist doing a time trial, but with the ability to blaze through using the Kraken special? Not me! :allears:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Theta Zero posted:

I'm glad the game doesn't reward you for kills, it means you'll be forced to actually play the game and ink everything rather than hole up somewhere and play sniper.

Damone
May 3, 2009
Ahahaha, I went against a team of all rollers. I had the Kelp charger, nothing but splats. All the splats.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Folt The Bolt posted:

Oh maaaan! The Squid amiibo challenges are soooooo fuuuuun! Who can resist doing a time trial, but with the ability to blaze through using the Kraken special? Not me! :allears:

I wish it had been nothing but those. The limited ink challenges are infuriatingly 'Nintendo Hard'.

God help me if any of the bosses are limited ink challenges...

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
The mall map is brutal. Climbing up that ramp in the middle is like going over the top into no squid's land.

What level do you get the areospray mg? I want it pretty bad

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Other modes will favor different weapons. I imagine the payload-esque mode where a player has to ride a platform will favor a charger or two.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

The mall map is brutal. Climbing up that ramp in the middle is like going over the top into no squid's land.

I really don't like the mall map, because unlike the others its possible for one team to box the other in so they have no hope of a comeback.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really don't like the mall map, because unlike the others its possible for one team to box the other in so they have no hope of a comeback.

Thats why i like it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can do that in the Warehouse if the other team is bad enough

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

You can do that in the Warehouse if the other team is bad enough

Walleye Warehouse has side passages you can use to blindside them though. The mall is a straight slow slog and the sides are vertical ledges overlooking the main valley. Anyone on top is gonna splat you before you get up the wall, and most splat guns dont have the distance to kill them up there before they off you. Its just a slooow slog instead of fast-paced like the others.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
Callie and Marie are dangerous individuals and don't give a single poo poo who knows about it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

This map is the worst if your trying to play with a roller. Nothing but open areas that are almost impossible to ambush people in and trying to get up those drat ramps with the roller takes way too long.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

if you stare at Callie and Marie they'll wave at you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This morning I played with a guy a bunch who kept using the roller but seemed to have no clue you could do anything else but roll with it. Must have splatted him half a dozen times back to back one match.

Then the one after that I got him and two other rollers and managed to carry them kicking and screaming to victory so that was pretty fun.

Finally made it to level 10 so now I'm gonna relax and finish up single player. I can't wait to see this final boss.

• Locked thread