Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

I want both :negative: I plan to donate and have it all set to remind me when the time is almost up. I have this terrible fear I would donate and have the money get drawn at a time I have none.

Whether you do it now or at the end of the campaign, the cash is pulled at the same time: within like an hour of the campaign ending. I think that's June 5th for us.

Either way: good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hyperactive posted:

These are standard size hardcovers. This campaign is all about getting our volumes back into print both under our own label and with a consistent design. These will be the bread-n-butter books that are easy to get in shops and online and at a very reasonable price.

We would like to do omnibus style collections eventually. That is very high on the WHAT WE WANNA DO list. Not 100% sure at this point if they'd be oversized omnibus editions. But this would be the fancier high dollar limited run edition for the hardcore Robo fan.

I'm not gonna try to sell anyone on the need to get both versions. I suppose it comes down to this: do you want very nice hardcovers now at a great price, or do you want even nicer but also pricier phonebook editions at some point down the road?

I can't do this kickstarter because a car issue just came up, but in the future, if you do omnibus editions could they possibly resemble the big Sandman annotated editions that are coming out? Because that would be awesome!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Hyperactive I wanna thank you for putting the comics up online. I've heard amazing things about Atomic Robo ever since it was first announced waaay back on the 8-Bit news page, but being in college for the last seven years has badly crimped my disposable income, so I was never able to try and chase down anything except the FCBD issues and the other things I could find online (which only made me more curious). Now I've finally gotten to read them and it's one of the best comics I've read in a very long time. When I finally get this damned degree and get a job, I'm going to pick up whatever I can get my hands on.

Thanks for being awesome and inspiring another writer!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hyperactive posted:

These are standard size hardcovers. This campaign is all about getting our volumes back into print both under our own label and with a consistent design. These will be the bread-n-butter books that are easy to get in shops and online and at a very reasonable price.

We would like to do omnibus style collections eventually. That is very high on the WHAT WE WANNA DO list. Not 100% sure at this point if they'd be oversized omnibus editions. But this would be the fancier high dollar limited run edition for the hardcore Robo fan.

I'm not gonna try to sell anyone on the need to get both versions. I suppose it comes down to this: do you want very nice hardcovers now at a great price, or do you want even nicer but also pricier phonebook editions at some point down the road?

Hard choices, man. I like to loan out various comics to people and my Robo books are the ones that go out the most often because they've got the most universal appeal. They've taken a bit of wear and tear because of it, so it would be nice to have those as my set for lending and hardbacks for my personal set. Looking like it's the $170 tier for me :toot:

And then in a few more years I can buy it again as the omnibus (oversize please) and you can replace your teeth with diamonds or whatever.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Whether you do it now or at the end of the campaign, the cash is pulled at the same time: within like an hour of the campaign ending. I think that's June 5th for us.

Either way: good luck!

There's also a, I believe, five to seven day period after the campaign ends to change your billing information! That's come in handy for me in the past, where I knew I would be broke right when a campaign ended but would get paid a couple days later.

My problem with this one is I want all 9 as hardcover but would have to sell bodily fluids to afford it, and I haven't been able to convince myself just yet that I'm willing to settle for a partial collection.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

My problem with this one is I want all 9 as hardcover but would have to sell bodily fluids to afford it, and I haven't been able to convince myself just yet that I'm willing to settle for a partial collection.
Get some now, buy the rest later. Duhhhhhhhhhh.

That'd be more expensive overall, but at least it's an expense you could spread out over a few months or a year or something.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

Get some now, buy the rest later. Duhhhhhhhhhh.

That'd be more expensive overall, but at least it's an expense you could spread out over a few months or a year or something.

You know, if you found a way to turn Robo into a substance I could just inject between my toes I feel like this whole thing would be way more honest about what it really is.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

You know, if you found a way to turn Robo into a substance I could just inject between my toes I feel like this whole thing would be way more honest about what it really is.
Working on it!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Atomic nanomachines, son!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Atomic nanomachines, son!

More like crystals! :v:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Hey Hyperactive, are there any plans to improve the navigation for the site? It's kind of terrible at the moment, particularly if you're trying to find stuff like the FCBD issues.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hey Hyperactive, thanks for making me look up what feijoada is. Now I wanta bowl. Jerk.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Tulul posted:

Hey Hyperactive, are there any plans to improve the navigation for the site? It's kind of terrible at the moment, particularly if you're trying to find stuff like the FCBD issues.
This will sound way more sarcastic than I mean it to because of how text works without vocal inflections to help out, but:

Have you tried clicking on the very first link in the navigation bar that's the first thing you seen on every single page?

:ssh:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
:downs:

Yeah ok that works.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Tulul posted:

:downs:

Yeah ok that works.
I take the blame for this one. It was my call to make that link say COMICS, but our experience has been that a lot of folks just zip right over it. I've gotten maybe 4 - 5 messages that amount to "where are your archives?" not including this one. So we're changing that link to say ARCHIVE.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Any chance on a mobile site coming? It's a paid reading in my phone/tablet because I'm lazy.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I already had trades up to Volume 7, but gently caress it I said to myself, I love HCs! Backed at the 170 level.

My one question is will Real Science Adventures eventually come out physically again? Sorry if it says it on the kickstarter, I only saw the PDF mentioned.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Martello posted:

I already had trades up to Volume 7, but gently caress it I said to myself, I love HCs! Backed at the 170 level.

My one question is will Real Science Adventures eventually come out physically again? Sorry if it says it on the kickstarter, I only saw the PDF mentioned.
Short version: we're still thinking about how to approach future volumes of RSA, so we're holding off on doing too much with the older volumes until we have that figured out.

I think there's four or five more planned right now and tons of room for more. These would be structured more like the second volume than the first.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Ok cool. I actually don't have any of the RSA trades but they are still available on Amazon at the moment so I might end up getting them because I love physical comic books. Regular books, I only buy on Kindle these days, but with the art it's just not the same somehow.

The trades I have will be going to a good home. Just gotta decide who gets them.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
So, eh... when are we gonna see the Atomic Robo Action Figure kickstarter?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Will the PDF tier give us the sweet sweet dr dinosaur pages? Or are they HC only?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Nystral posted:

Will the PDF tier give us the sweet sweet dr dinosaur pages? Or are they HC only?
The PDFs will have everything that's in the hardcovers. They are literally the print files but with RGB instead of CMYK and a slightly lower res because you really don't need these pages at 600dpi.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hyperactive posted:

The PDFs will have everything that's in the hardcovers. They are literally the print files but with RGB instead of CMYK and a slightly lower res because you really don't need these pages at 600dpi.

If this is the case i'll be ordering the PDFs when the remind me e-mail gets sent. I'd love to order the hcs but the price of shipping it all to the UK is more than the price of the books.

If you do a Kickstarter for omnibus volumes would you consider doing them one at a time? Love me some big fat comic books.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

MrFlibble posted:

If this is the case i'll be ordering the PDFs when the remind me e-mail gets sent. I'd love to order the hcs but the price of shipping it all to the UK is more than the price of the books.

If you do a Kickstarter for omnibus volumes would you consider doing them one at a time? Love me some big fat comic books.
Yeah, our international shipping is insane. But after our prior experience, it was this or it was nothing. At least this way it's up to the individual backer. But anything as heavy as these books is gonna be insane to ship internationally. And we're going double insane with the insurance, tracking, delivery within 5 biz days, and brokerage costs all baked in. Still. I won't blame anyone who finds the cost to be prohibitive.

I don't want to make too many promises about our omnibus plans at this stage. It's just too early to reliably get into any details.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm okay waiting on OS stuff. What about additional merch? Anything concrete in the works yet?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

I'm okay waiting on OS stuff. What about additional merch? Anything concrete in the works yet?
There's this stuff for now. We're gonna be 100% focused on getting these new hardcover editions made for a while, but there's more merch in the pipe for 2016.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

There's this stuff for now. We're gonna be 100% focused on getting these new hardcover editions made for a while, but there's more merch in the pipe for 2016.

I have most of that stuff, and the mini Dr Dinosaur statue from a while back. I really just need me some hot hot Robo action figures.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hyperactive posted:

That's what YOU think. :colbert:

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010
Hello. I recently finished volume 9, which gave me a bit of a melancholy feeling until I remembered the end of the FCBD Science Fair issue.

Any news about the cartoon from a few years back? I remember the short video looked very promising.

And finally, I have been waiting patiently to see Isaac Asimov make an appearance. Any idea of when it will happen (it still is happening I hope)?

8one6
May 20, 2012

Question about the Kickstarter: I may be bad at reading, but I don't see "Exclusive Kickstarter Foil" explained on the page. Are the HC's going to have foil covers or is it foil bookplates?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

8one6 posted:

Question about the Kickstarter: I may be bad at reading, but I don't see "Exclusive Kickstarter Foil" explained on the page. Are the HC's going to have foil covers or is it foil bookplates?
The foil will be on the cover. And it'll be done tastefully. Not a huge garish thing across the whole cover.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

The foil will be on the cover. And it'll be done tastefully. Not a huge garish thing across the whole cover.

Why can't that be a backer tier? Some of the first comics I ever read had those.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

And it'll be done tastefully.

DEALBREAKER.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Hyperactive posted:

Not a huge garish thing across the whole cover.

Why not just foil the whole cover? It would enhance the whole Action Science vibe you're going for.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Seriously, if the foil cover doesn't come with a ton of pouches and faces with WAY too many lines on them, what's the point of having a foil cover?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Will the foil be composed of refined CRYSTALS?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

Will the foil be composed of refined CRYSTALS?
So far as I'm aware, there is no other method to extract foil.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hyperactive posted:

So far as I'm aware, there is no other method to extract foil.

There are non-crystalline metals! But they're expensive and I have no idea how malleable they are compared to bog-standard aluminum.

Science!

This reminds me of a time back in college in a materials science class and the professor says something about crystalizing copper and this guy who was really smart, but not as clever as he thought he was spurts out "how DO you crystallize copper?" The professor just gave him a "What the gently caress?" look for half a beat and keeps on lecturing.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 2, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm sadly missing out on this kick starter. It's ending just a little too soon. Two more weeks and I would have been gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

I'd like to think I'm a rational adult, but then...

Hyperactive posted:

The foil will be on the cover...
:homebrew:
You win this round, my love of sweet crystal-based foil hardcovers!

• Locked thread