Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Why are the animators still switching up whether Laws hands are manacled in front or behind him? Feels like every time we see him it's changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hasn't Diamanté always been super tall? Looks like it shouldn't be long until Law is freed. Fujitora is such a beast, hi fight with Sabo is awesome.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yup, pretty sure Diamante was pretty tall. Looks like next ep we get some awesome Usopp sniping action (either that or they'll spend the whole ep bigging it up and then go back to Franky or Sabo...).

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Zark the Damned posted:

Yup, pretty sure Diamante was pretty tall.

I will admit that Diamante appears to always have been tall as hell. Look at that height change, though.

quote:

Looks like next ep we get some awesome Usopp sniping action (either that or they'll spend the whole ep bigging it up and then go back to Franky or Sabo...).

More Franky break dancing! Less plot advancement!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Exaggerated for the sake of drama I guess. He does appear to be standing on a hidden crate or something in the second pic based on where his feet should be.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that Law getting shot finally got addressed. I was very confused why Doffy knocked Law with great force and precision to right in front of Luffy and shot him, but apparently to no effect. If Law's that aerodynamic, why don't they just punch him up to the castle?
It's great to see Law free finally. We can stop worrying if he was handcuffed in front or behind.

Attack on Titan spoilers:
I was really hoping that the not-at-all suspenseful scene where Luffy got eaten and then broke out instead ended with him becoming a titan. Or at least losing an arm. What do the toys even have inside them anyway? I feel like biting him would have been more effective, but not really since he's rubber. Can they even hurt him?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Usopp finally putting some work in and getting some recognition.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Crazyeyes posted:

Usopp finally putting some work in and getting some recognition.

Usopp has always been the greatest.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

A good showing from Usopp, once again proving he's the best. I'm glad they didn't turn it into another joke/preparation episode. Bonus points for using the enemy's known weakness and unlocking observation Haki.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
The Usopp thing turned out better than I imagined. It's cool that he has haki now.

I like how Law and Luffy managed to argue for 20 minutes about nothing. And then they kept running in the opposite direction of where they were trying to go. And then as soon as the situation they didn't know they were in was resolved, they instantaneously arrived at their destination without further complaint. Oh well, gotta build suspense and pad the episodes I suppose.
I must admit, the fake out actually had me fooled for a second. I also saw it in the previous episode preview and was upset they gave away such a huge spoiler, haha. I also liked the reference to the Chopperman shorts (despite my dislike of all things Chopper).

You've all seen the shorts and the specials, right?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I just realised something else - the Headcrackers didn't revert back to people after Sugar got KO'd again. Not sure whether it's an oversight or if they use a far more powerful version of her ability which persists indefinitely (in addition to merging multiple dudes).

I guess there aren't more of them around 'cause they're not actually very useful. Intimidating, sure, but not very useful for moving crates etc.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

I just realised something else - the Headcrackers didn't revert back to people after Sugar got KO'd again. Not sure whether it's an oversight or if they use a far more powerful version of her ability which persists indefinitely (in addition to merging multiple dudes).

I guess there aren't more of them around 'cause they're not actually very useful. Intimidating, sure, but not very useful for moving crates etc.

I think it was oversight (likely corrected by next episode). If there was a version of her powers that caused irreversible change I would have to believe she'd be doing it all the time. Sociopaths tend not to hold themselves back very often.

The Headcrackers are good for moving really big creates.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's an oversight.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Minor spoiler I guess, but re: Giant headcrackers, in the manga after sugar goes down: They dissolve like the toys did before, each headcracker is made up of like 8 guys.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

OK cool, guess they just didn't bother animating it. Or maybe it'll be in a future episode. We've still got like at least 8 fights to resolve before Luffy and Law take on Doffy anyway (so what 50 episodes before the arc ends?).

Franky vs Senor Pink (so hard boiled)
Zoro vs Pica
Rebecca and Kyros vs Diamante
Sabo vs Zatoichi Fujitora
Ex-Gladiator Pirates versus Baby 5 and the miniboss brigade
Robin and co vs Explosion Man Gladius
Luffy vs Bellamy (from the next ep preview)
maybe Law vs Trebol at the same time?
did I miss any?

Also it's been ages since the Sunny crew were last on screen up so maybe a cutback to them?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

OK cool, guess they just didn't bother animating it. Or maybe it'll be in a future episode. We've still got like at least 8 fights to resolve before Luffy and Law take on Doffy anyway (so what 50 episodes before the arc ends?).

Zoro vs Pica
did I miss any?

Also it's been ages since the Sunny crew were last on screen up so maybe a cutback to them?

The manga is still in this arc so let that serve as a warning to thinking it is wrapping up shortly.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Zoro vs Pica
did I miss any?

If you watched the new OP, theres a Law flashback as well.

I think the anime is typically around 1 year behind the manga, and like he said above its not done yet.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'd thought that the anime was catching up to the manga and they needed to slow it down, hence the amount of padding and recaps and general slow pacing currently. Is that not the case?

If not then gently caress this arc, it's going on far too long already and badly needs splitting into several shorter ones (given it's already a continuation of Punk Hazard).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

I'd thought that the anime was catching up to the manga and they needed to slow it down, hence the amount of padding and recaps and general slow pacing currently. Is that not the case?

If not then gently caress this arc, it's going on far too long already and badly needs splitting into several shorter ones (given it's already a continuation of Punk Hazard).

It's been slow pacing recaps and padding since Marineford.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Kild posted:

It's been slow pacing recaps and padding since Marineford.

This. My dream would be for one piece to switch to a seasonal release so I could watch 24 good episodes a year instead of 50 bad ones.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

Its padded out to be 1 chapter per episode, it wont ever catch up.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Candle posted:

This. My dream would be for one piece to switch to a seasonal release so I could watch 24 good episodes a year instead of 50 bad ones.

Isn't that what basically everybody else is doing already? Outside of Toriko I can't think of any other series that's still plowing along week after week without break. Even other super popular Shonen Jump animes like Fairy Tale are doing seasonal animes now.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Isn't that what basically everybody else is doing already? Outside of Toriko I can't think of any other series that's still plowing along week after week without break. Even other super popular Shonen Jump animes like Fairy Tale are doing seasonal animes now.

Naruto is still going strong week after week padding out 1 chapter = 1 episode and adding filler even though the series ended already.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

The Naruto manga is, for all intents and purposes, still going. And even when it ends it'll have established characters and plots the anime can use to continue p much forever until cancelled.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm sure there are lots of shows that are still year round, but One Piece will never do it. Unless it takes a massive dip in popularity I guess. Is the Toriko anime still running? I thought they ended it after the food olympics

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
it blows my mind that the naruto anime is still doing filler lol the mains tory has been over for effing ages and if they wanted filler to let the new series get ahead a bit or whatever it is WAY more approrpriate for it to take place after the main story

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

tbp posted:

it blows my mind that the naruto anime is still doing filler lol the mains tory has been over for effing ages and if they wanted filler to let the new series get ahead a bit or whatever it is WAY more approrpriate for it to take place after the main story

Remember the 100 episodes of filler in OG Naruto to Shippuden?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

The manga is still in this arc so let that serve as a warning to thinking it is wrapping up shortly.

Jesus Christ. Presumably we have all of Law's backstory to go through, which I am looking forward to. It's unlikely to happen but I'd rather see Law take on Doflamingo rather than Luffy, I feel it makes more narrative sense.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

EmmyOk posted:

Jesus Christ. Presumably we have all of Law's backstory to go through, which I am looking forward to. It's unlikely to happen but I'd rather see Law take on Doflamingo rather than Luffy, I feel it makes more narrative sense.

Have you read One Piece? The entire point is that Luffy comes along and him (and later, him and his crew) solve the local character's problems by punching the bad guy that the locals can't handle on their own. From Axe-Hand Morgan all the way to Ceasar Clown, that's how it rolls.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Prison Warden posted:

Have you read One Piece? The entire point is that Luffy comes along and him (and later, him and his crew) solve the local character's problems by punching the bad guy that the locals can't handle on their own. From Axe-Hand Morgan all the way to Ceasar Clown, that's how it rolls.

Really? I had not noticed this

e: I did not say that is what I expect to happen just that I would like it to. Also Trafalgar is a unique element in this arc.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 17, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

tbp posted:

lol the mains tory has been over for effing ages

Honestly the way I see it, they just sold the end of an arc as "the end of the series" to grab everyone's attention and then just continued the series after the usual timeskip.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

I would honestly be surprised if this arc is wrapped by Christmas. I'm thinking Law's backstory is a good 10-15 episodes (ie-weeks) long. Closer to next Memorial day.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Petiso posted:

Honestly the way I see it, they just sold the end of an arc as "the end of the series" to grab everyone's attention and then just continued the series after the usual timeskip.

Wait, there was another timeskip and they're just going on now?

Not that I haven't expected this but....

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Truga posted:

Let me tell you about Burrito and Salad.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Truga posted:

Naruto Gaiden is the new series. It's supossedly a short term publication but there's also talk of one of the author's assistants taking over in the future.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
At least it's not a sequel? That could be good all things considered. I catch up on naruto once or twice per year (if there's any new non-filler episodes, anyway), and still find it fairly okay, if over the top lately.

Then again, OP is over the top as gently caress and it's one of my favourite things. :v:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was really glad they let Usopp actually be cool as hell, his ammo choice was excellent too. Disappointing they didn't play his theme song though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNyP3uzgRhA

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
But that's not his theme song. That's sogekings theme.

Not an Owl
Oct 29, 2011
Is the current arc better in anime form than Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Not an Owl posted:

Is the current arc better in anime form than Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were?
Search your heart. You know the answer.