Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Gilgabot has taken it upon himself to clarify #regChaos a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Gilgabot posted:

code:
A CLARIFICATION ON #REGCHAOS

THERE HAVE BEEN MANY QUESTIONS ASKING FOR A CLARIFICATION ON THE NEW CHAOS RUN IN THIS YEAR’S FEISTA.

ALLOW ME TO MAKE IT EVEN MORE CLEAR THAN “YOU WILL BE ASSIGNED JOBS”.

YOU WILL BE ASSIGNED JOBS FROM FINAL FANTASY 5.

THANK YOU AND HAVE A GOOD DAY.

e:fb

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's good to know.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

That's good to know.

Yeah we don't any Dark Knights or Calculators in our fiesta.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Chaos mode is you actually play Bravely Default instead but can only use jobs that existed in FF5.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AweStriker posted:

Yeah we don't any Dark Knights or Calculators in our fiesta.

Level 3 Dark Spark

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Mikl posted:

Registered for a normal run.

It'll also be my first time playing FFV.

I hope Gilgabot is good to me with job rolls.

Whatup fellow first time FFVer/Fiestaer. This should be interesting, glad this thread is around in case I start to crash and burn.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
First time playing FFV here (although I've read so much about it that I know way too much already), going to register for a normal run soon.

Until then, I leave you with this video of what appears to be a FFV romhack forged in the fires of pure concentrated difficulty.

EDIT: Changed the video to avoid spoilers and to underline how difficult it is.

This is found in what was in the original game the tutorial's treasure chest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_do86bZxZmU

the Orb of Zot fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 31, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

the Orb of Zot posted:

First time playing FFV here (although I've read so much about it that I know way too much already), going to register for a normal run soon.

Until then, I leave you with this video of what appears to be a FFV romhack forged in the fires of pure concentrated difficulty.

EDIT: Changed the video to avoid spoilers and to underline how difficult it is.

This is found in what was in the original game the tutorial's treasure chest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_do86bZxZmU

Wasn't RK tweeting about this just recently?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AlphaKretin posted:

Wasn't RK tweeting about this just recently?

He was. Looks like it's caught his interest enough to make him consider streaming it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KataraniSword posted:

He was. Looks like it's caught his interest enough to make him consider streaming it.

He streamed it yesterday morning. A few enemies and many bosses have changed in the dungeons, mostly from other Final Fantasy games. For instance, Karlabos was replaced with Kraken, who will use Tidal Wave on his fourth turn and thus wipe the party, making it a battle against time.

You can check out the various bosses by clicking this link of the new Seal Guardians and checking all the related videos.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If I had any money I would totally pony up a pledge for someone Fiesta-ing FF5r.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'd play it if it worked with an English patch. (Probably not for the Fiesta, just in general.)

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i am go for #berserkerrisk

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Yet another first-timer here. Registered for a normal run.

Thank you to the folks on IRC that helped me out!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know, I'd actually suggest newcomers to try #random instead of #normal, because I think that mode is way easier. With the exception of the monk, all the wind classes are very strong, especially the mages. #random means you're guaranteed to get one of them, and you have three more chances to get others. Sure, you have a lower chance of getting the gamebreakers like mystic knight, ninja, or chemist, but you also have a lot lower chance of getting any of the really bad classes like geomancer.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kaizo Dragon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

You can check out the various bosses by clicking this link of the new Seal Guardians and checking all the related videos.

This is wonderful. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gonna stream some World 3 of my Samurai/Ranger/Red Mage/Dragoon run.

http://www.twitch.tv/mega64_

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fister Roboto posted:

You know, I'd actually suggest newcomers to try #random instead of #normal, because I think that mode is way easier. With the exception of the monk, all the wind classes are very strong, especially the mages. #random means you're guaranteed to get one of them, and you have three more chances to get others. Sure, you have a lower chance of getting the gamebreakers like mystic knight, ninja, or chemist, but you also have a lot lower chance of getting any of the really bad classes like geomancer.

I dunno if I'd call it a "lower" chance of getting the Mystic Knight in a random run, since they're still a Water Crystal job. The Fire/Earth jobs have a much lower chance, yes, but... well. Hopefully Chaos fixes that issue, too.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
All my runs this year will be #regchaos in hopes of getting the mythical 4 berserker team.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
This year I will actually finish the Fiesta. Loaded up last year's game to remember why I stopped: Monk / Berserker / Geomancer / Dancer isn't bad, but it's not very engaging to play.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Half of Dracula posted:

This year I will actually finish the Fiesta. Loaded up last year's game to remember why I stopped: Monk / Berserker / Geomancer / Dancer isn't bad, but it's not very engaging to play.

no, that's pretty bad. like, arguably the worst team possible bad

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

I dunno if I'd call it a "lower" chance of getting the Mystic Knight in a random run, since they're still a Water Crystal job. The Fire/Earth jobs have a much lower chance, yes, but... well. Hopefully Chaos fixes that issue, too.

I did the math and you're right, you actually have a very slightly higher chance of getting a mystic knight or any other water job with #random (about 21.3% vs 20%). I guess that's another point in favor of #random, although that also means a slightly higher chance of getting a berserker.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

only one i could think of that's worse is monk/red mage/geomancer/dancer and that's arguable

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Half of Dracula posted:

No, no, that's pretty bad. Your only real source of healing is Hi-Potions, you've got three fairly squishy party members, and the only one who has any synergy with any of the others, ironically enough, is the Berserker.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

KataraniSword posted:

No, no, that's pretty bad. Your only real source of healing is Hi-Potions, you've got three fairly squishy party members, and the only one who has any synergy with any of the others, ironically enough, is the Berserker.

I guess I thought I was the poo poo with all my Ribbons and Monk/Bersekerer/Chicken Knife doing a lot of damage but I can't make any headway in the Rift

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Half of Dracula posted:

I guess I thought I was the poo poo with all my Ribbons and Monk/Bersekerer/Chicken Knife doing a lot of damage but I can't make any headway in the Rift

You should probably be rolling out with:

Monk: Equip Axes (for offense) or Equip Ribbons (defense/makes them a potion bot, also allows them to equip the Man Eater dagger)
Berserker: Equip Ribbons (best head armor in the game)
Geomancer: Equip Axes
Dancer: Equip Axes (more Strength for the Chicken Knife) or !Focus (avoid CK flee procs)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Wait we can register now? I thought I had to wait until June 1 to start.

Haven't played this game in like 15 years and I have no idea how the iPad version is. Should be fun. Though...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, registration is open now, more or less.

Also lots of people are doing practice runs via our IRC bot.

LockHeart
Apr 8, 2005

I'll make Coach Haribo proud!
Just signed up for my first run.
Trying Chaos because Chaos reigns.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Half of Dracula posted:

A team like that should run from most encounters in the endgame, save its effort for snapping bosses in half.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Oh god, I'm finally doing it, and of course it's a Chaos run.

:getin:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
On the one hand I like keeping the details of Chaos in the dark, but on the other I'm afraid you'll end up with a lot of boring runs that are all Freelancers for most of the first world. And the rules might need some clarification.

Let's say you get your first job- Dancer. So you have to be all freelancers until you get to the water crystal, and tweet for your second job- Samurai. So now you're still all Freelancers until you get to the fire crystal. You tweet for your job- Ranger. Ok, are you allowed to have 4 rangers now? Or only two, with two freelancers stuck standing in for the Dancer/Samurai you don't have yet? So whatever the case, you fight your way to the earth crystal, and tweet for your last job- Monk. But since this is Chaos mode, is it OK to tweet for all 4 of your jobs right away? So theoretically after the wind crystal you can use Monks, even though they are technically your "earth" job?

Being able to tweet right away for all jobs, and use any jobs you have for all 4 characters (assuming you have at least one of each job you actually can access) seems better, but it's not clear.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

http://www.twitch.tv/mega64_

Time to finish World 3. Hopefully.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Schwartzcough posted:

On the one hand I like keeping the details of Chaos in the dark, but on the other I'm afraid you'll end up with a lot of boring runs that are all Freelancers for most of the first world. And the rules might need some clarification.

Let's say you get your first job- Dancer. So you have to be all freelancers until you get to the water crystal, and tweet for your second job- Samurai. So now you're still all Freelancers until you get to the fire crystal. You tweet for your job- Ranger. Ok, are you allowed to have 4 rangers now? Or only two, with two freelancers stuck standing in for the Dancer/Samurai you don't have yet? So whatever the case, you fight your way to the earth crystal, and tweet for your last job- Monk. But since this is Chaos mode, is it OK to tweet for all 4 of your jobs right away? So theoretically after the wind crystal you can use Monks, even though they are technically your "earth" job?

Being able to tweet right away for all jobs, and use any jobs you have for all 4 characters (assuming you have at least one of each job you actually can access) seems better, but it's not clear.

People don't even know for a fact that this is what it's going to be, they're just guessing based on past gimmicks and the splash graphic.

All we know is that characters will be assigned jobs. And that those jobs will be from this game. For all we know, each individual character gets two jobs that they can't share, making it sort of like an extended Natural run that actually could be semi-fun.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm hoping it just re-rolls your previous jobs each crystal

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

3 more weeks? Glad I finally remembered to check.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
presigned regular run with berserker risk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jibo posted:

I'm hoping it just re-rolls your previous jobs each crystal

This is what I really want yeah, though you really don't spend a ton of time between each crystal, most of the game is post-Earth. But all random is ok too.

• Locked thread